test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crystalline Entity Event Returns!

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
edited August 2015 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Update: Due to issues caused by our ISP, we've decided to extend the event to September 7 at 10:00AM PDT.

The Crystalline Entity returns! Captains will have a new chance to join the Crystalline Cataclysm event in order to earn our new Epic reward - the Crystalline Spike!

Check out the new reward for it here

~LaughingTrendy
Post edited by strumslinger on
«134

Comments

  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Poor, poor snowflake. Time to die.

    A kit module huh? Don't do ground much lately but I'll grab it anyway. Even without the special reward the dil and marks make it worth it.
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    It taunts enemies and then detonates. It could be amusing on Defara.
  • brwjames85brwjames85 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    Will it be like season events, account unlocked after 1 toon completes the main?or a grind 'tillthe death with all my toons? :p
    Finally, T6 Fleet sovy! My life is complete!
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,596 Arc User
    Iconian Marks! Ya-Hoo! :p
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • sov42sov42 Member Posts: 1,250 Arc User
    Oooh, epic module. Nice!
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    Didn't know we had tactical nukes as kit modules. :tongue:
    Might want to check those stats while on the ground... 11.5k HP is enough to kill anything we ever see in a ground map.

    Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • daniela1055daniela1055 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    brwjames85 wrote: »
    Will it be like season events, account unlocked after 1 toon completes the main?or a grind 'tillthe death with all my toons? :p

    I really hope that they made the module an account unlock, i'll never again grind these events for all my chars.

    Trendy?

  • psych2lpsych2l Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    Can you pass along a request to allow past crystalline event rewards such as the various unique doffs or crystalline torp to be worked towards in lieu or concurrently with the current reward during the event?
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2015
    Has anyone actually stopped and looked at the numbers? This thing looks like it could be extremely over powered. Especially when dropped in the middle of large mobs.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    sqwished wrote: »
    Has anyone actually stopped and looked at the numbers? This thing looks like it could be extremely over powered. Especially when dropped in the middle of large mobs.

    Yes, the screenshot was probably made while checking it on a space map. If you check things like ground reputation abilities or kit modules while in space, it always shows insanely large numbers for those ground powers. I doubt those are the correct numbers, it would mean instant death to entire groups of enemies.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    Yeah that screen had to be taken in space. That always messes up the numbers for ground gear.

    Looks cool though, I'll be getting 3 of them.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    If those were the real numbers the knock back effect would be hilariously obsolete.
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    brwjames85 wrote: »
    Will it be like season events, account unlocked after 1 toon completes the main?or a grind 'tillthe death with all my toons? :p

    bort was asked on twitter about that and. . . . No its a every toon has to do it if you want the reward.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,596 Arc User
    Hey little guy. I shall call him Spikey and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Spikey. Come here Spikey. Come here little Spikey.
    :: jabbers more baby talk at Spike ::
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    brwjames85 wrote: »
    Will it be like season events, account unlocked after 1 toon completes the main?or a grind 'tillthe death with all my toons? :p

    bort was asked on twitter about that and. . . . No its a every toon has to do it if you want the reward.

    Awww, no toys... :(

    Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Wow. That module is a sure kill to anyone in PvP. At least, 8s is plenty of time to run away. Oh, wait, you have things like Site-to-Site Ensnare to ensure a kill.

    I wonder:

    - if captains can use their buffs (especially tactical captains) before summoning the entity (or while it's exploding) to increase the damage
    - if every incoming energy hit would increase the damage by said fixed amount. Meaning, rapid fire weapons will increase the explosion damage much more than, say, pulsewaves.
    - if the explosion takes line of sight into account. Say, I deploy a cover shield right next to it before it detonates (or take other form of hard cover), or if the explosion can go through walls. After all, 10m is a large radius, it would be very easy to hit someone behind a wall or a corner.
    - if damage reduces from epicenter.

    Even for PvE, I think it's too powerful. I don't think anything in the game deals 11K kinetic (50% shield bypass) damage in a 10m radius. Think of a final battle in a hard STF, everyone summoning their entities at once... boss is down in 8s.

    Bort was complaining the other day what's the fun in killing a boss so fast. But it only happens because of new things like this. The sad thing is that it has a lot of precedent. So I hope it gets revised before it's added to the collection of third rails of this game.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 819 Arc User
    Thank you...It's like Xmas in July...wait is August..THANKs anyways fox-1.giffox-49.giffox-4.gif
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    tk79 wrote: »
    Wow. That module is a sure kill to anyone in PvP. At least, 8s is plenty of time to run away. Oh, wait, you have things like Site-to-Site Ensnare to ensure a kill.

    I wonder:

    - if captains can use their buffs (especially tactical captains) before summoning the entity (or while it's exploding) to increase the damage
    - if every incoming energy hit would increase the damage by said fixed amount. Meaning, rapid fire weapons will increase the explosion damage much more than, say, pulsewaves.
    - if the explosion takes line of sight into account. Say, I deploy a cover shield right next to it before it detonates (or take other form of hard cover), or if the explosion can go through walls. After all, 10m is a large radius, it would be very easy to hit someone behind a wall or a corner.
    - if damage reduces from epicenter.

    Even for PvE, I think it's too powerful. I don't think anything in the game deals 11K kinetic (50% shield bypass) damage in a 10m radius. Think of a final battle in a hard STF, everyone summoning their entities at once... boss is down in 8s.

    Bort was complaining the other day what's the fun in killing a boss so fast. But it only happens because of new things like this. The sad thing is that it has a lot of precedent. So I hope it gets revised before it's added to the collection of third rails of this game.

    It's a display error. When you view the stats of ground abilities (like this crystal here, or any trait/Specialization effect) in space, they display ludicrously high numbers. Similarly, space abilities display uselessly weak stats when viewed on a ground map.

    (That being said, you'd only need one crystal. NOTHING in any ground battle has that much HP.)

    Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • jasecurtisjasecurtis Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    Question: I have the incomplete event still in my reputation tab from the last Crystalline Cataclysm event. Can I still add shards to that and get the rewards (marks, torpedo launcher, dil) or do I have to start this year's from scratch?
    qGPf6Iq.jpg?1
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    dalolorn wrote: »
    It's a display error. When you view the stats of ground abilities (like this crystal here, or any trait/Specialization effect) in space, they display ludicrously high numbers. Similarly, space abilities display uselessly weak stats when viewed on a ground map.

    I really hope it's a display error, and if that's the case, they should replace the picture in the news article, as it would confuse players in different ways.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

  • brwjames85brwjames85 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    brwjames85 wrote: »
    Will it be like season events, account unlocked after 1 toon completes the main?or a grind 'tillthe death with all my toons? :p

    bort was asked on twitter about that and. . . . No its a every toon has to do it if you want the reward.

    dil grinding, grinding this... ah well, i'll tell my gf she'll get less attention for a few weeks :p
    Finally, T6 Fleet sovy! My life is complete!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Actually, grinding this IS grinding for dil and marks too! :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    Gotta love the twice a year dilithium giveaway, and now I have 5 toons to throw into the daily pew pew fest.
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2015
    risian4 wrote: »
    sqwished wrote: »
    Has anyone actually stopped and looked at the numbers? This thing looks like it could be extremely over powered. Especially when dropped in the middle of large mobs.

    Yes, the screenshot was probably made while checking it on a space map. If you check things like ground reputation abilities or kit modules while in space, it always shows insanely large numbers for those ground powers. I doubt those are the correct numbers, it would mean instant death to entire groups of enemies.

    Which basically means its false advertising.

    I will say though, if those actually were the proper stats, calling it some kind of timed tactical nuke wouldn't be far from the truth, I mean that kind of damage output would wipe near-everything on a ground map dead.
    Post edited by tarastheslayer on
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    What happened to the Mirror Invasion?
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,637 Bug Hunter
    Really do wish we'd see more systems like the event ships have now with account unlocks. These rewards are very un-friendly for alts since they never repeat. I still really want the shotgun on the rest of my toons who didn't do the last mirror event or the AP torpedo from the last Crystalline event which I've now made 5 new toons since that reward.

    Not asking for the Dilithium and marks to be account wide, those should be tied to completing the project, but the unique items would be nice as an account unlock after you get it. Some of us are true alters and don't have a "main".
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    Clarification: Can we use shards from previous events, or is a new shard currency going to be used?
  • snafu33snafu33 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    jasecurtis wrote: »
    Question: I have the incomplete event still in my reputation tab from the last Crystalline Cataclysm event. Can I still add shards to that and get the rewards (marks, torpedo launcher, dil) or do I have to start this year's from scratch?

    I also have left over shards from last event. hope they appy to this event. If not, oh well....
  • borgified007borgified007 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    What is the advantage to running this on elite vs regular?
  • borgified007borgified007 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    Sorry mean to say why would a person run advanced version vs regular?
Sign In or Register to comment.