Install Arc
Options

Windows 10

Comments

• Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    kittyflofy wrote: »
    mjaybird wrote: »
    We are all upgrading to windows 10 next week for free so lets hope STO will work on it. Cryptic better support windows 8 and 10 since most will be using those systems

And why do you think people will upgrade to winwows 10?? i have a perfect windows 7 that works amazingly well, i am not going to change it for anything in the world lol. You assume too much.

On a individual level I agree. I run fine with W7 & there's no reason or urge for me to switch to 10.

Now the smack-talk: Why? W10 is just the newest PC OS from the biggest PC OS company on the planet & its not only given away for free-to-upgrade to almost everyone but also have a miles ahead more favorable made impression than its dreaded predecessor W8(.1) had. Any PC-MMO/gaming company should better get its TRIBBLE up & see its game(s) work with it.
  • Options
    zbzznzbzzn Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and within twenty minutes had started the rollback to Windows 8.1 Pro. There are just too many privacy issues and lack of user control to sit well with me.

Windows 10 isn't so much an OS update as it is a marketing platform, which is why it is the first Microsoft operating system that is being given away for free. Give away the razor and sell the blades marketing at its finest.
  • Options
    whicky1978whicky1978 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    well if Windows 10 runs sto better than 7 then im sold
  • Options
    kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    whicky1978 wrote: »
    well if Windows 10 runs sto better than 7 then im sold

I doubt that... and i seriously dont hope you are going to switch the SO just for playing this game.. o.O
  • Options
    medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    It neither runs faster nor slower that I can see in any significant manner. Upgrade or not, it's up to you.
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Surprisingly, I didn't have any problems with STO or CO running with Windows 10. The only issue I have noted so far is that the games are taking a bit longer to load. Same thing for RIFT. I did, however, have some major game loading and file permission issues with DDO and LOTRO (Turbine... go figure).

So far, I am rather unimpressed with Windows 10. The new Start Menu & UI, IMO, is a major step down from Windows 8.1 and my audio now sounds like TRIBBLE (IDT Audio Codec in Windows 8) and there are no updated drivers as of yet. So have to use a generic HD Audio Codec and my audio sounds muffled and like its coming from the bottom of a well. Of course, with any new version of Windows, all the companies that provide software that uses the platform now get to play catch-up.

If I knew Windows 8.1 would be updated for at least several more years, I never would have upgraded. The bad thing is, we all know that Windows 10 will be the new poster child for Windows and eventually everything made prior to it will disappear into legend. So, might as well get used to using this POS OS.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Since Uncle Bill went the Malware route and used an Important Update to install the "GWX" virus on my machine urging me to update to Windows X with no way to cancel out of it I will avoid this version of windows like the disease it is.

I successfully removed it buy isolating and deleting and hiding the particular update that lets it into PCs. I then had to revalue some ownership values as the GWX folder belongs to "Trusted Owner" instead of myself the administrator.

I'm afraid everyone who hasn't gone this route will have a force install of Windows X on their machines and hopefully their machines can handle it.

I also sincerely hope that this doesn't completely kill STO as all their machines suddenly crash due to GWX.
  • Options
    subzer0d1videsubzer0d1vide Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    I have system connected to my living room tv, decent machine, dual core, 8GB running Win7. I installed Win10 and it won't get beyond the Welcome screen, it crashes and reboots - total fail.

Even though it's been automatically downloaded on all of my machines, I won't be installing it on anything else anytime soon.
    --

"The higher the fewer."
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    If you look in Task Manger there is a program running called "GWX.exe"

For those who decried ARC as using resources, this is doing the same all the time.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    frankly.. some of the core 'features' I've heard about this OS have me questioning weather I will wait until the last possible moment to upgrade, like I did with XP to 7.... more importantly to the avg user tho, imo, is that it is the worst spyware made unless you go through a dozen hoops to turn off a bunch of TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    zbzzn wrote: »
    I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and within twenty minutes had started the rollback to Windows 8.1 Pro. There are just too many privacy issues and lack of user control to sit well with me.

Windows 10 isn't so much an OS update as it is a marketing platform, which is why it is the first Microsoft operating system that is being given away for free. Give away the razor and sell the blades marketing at its finest.

you had better steer clear of anything that runs either android or apple iware all the apps are exactly the same as the apps you run on windows 10, full of adware unless you pay.

the beauty of windows 10 is you still have a choice, you don't need to run any of the new windows apps and continue using all the regular software that you used on your windows 8.1 completely add free.

as for privacy issues I suggest you never ever connect to the internet as your sevice provider will know everything you do while you are connected.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    you had better steer clear of anything that runs either android or apple iware all the apps are exactly the same as the apps you run on windows 10, full of adware unless you pay.
    I run a custom AOSP-based ROM on my smartphone, without gapps. I would also like to point out that "Google does it too" isn't a legitimate defence.
    the beauty of windows 10 is you still have a choice, you don't need to run any of the new windows apps and continue using all the regular software that you used on your windows 8.1 completely add free.
    If I were to use Windows 10, I would not have a choice as to whether or not Microsoft obtains data from my PCs, since not everything can be disabled (device data, telemetry and the search box keylogger). I would also not have a choice as to when and what I update, which means that anything I have disabled can easily be reenabled by Microsoft with a silent, background update.
    as for privacy issues I suggest you never ever connect to the internet as your sevice provider will know everything you do while you are connected.
    My ISP doesn't actively monitor, filter, throttle or share the packets that come from my router and even if they had a reason (ie. court order), they could only see unencrypted data that I wilfully transmit. They do not have access to anything on my computers, whereas Microsoft does for PCs running Windows 10.

Your argument basically boils down to "One cannot have complete privacy in every single aspect of life, so one should give up privacy for everything". It's ridiculous.
  • Options
    hang on I`ve got to go and get my tinfoil hat, who knows what the front page of the daily echo will read tomorrow otherwise, bobby plays sto and did a search on google for garden furniture, oh the scandal.

• Options
    hang on I`ve got to go and get my tinfoil hat, who knows what the front page of the daily echo will read tomorrow otherwise, bobby plays sto and did a search on google for garden furniture, oh the scandal.
    I don't think I could say a thing that better demonstrates your ignorance than this right here.
  • Options
    it all depends on what you think they are going to see.
    the things I do on my computer, shopping on ebay or amazon, watching the odd movie or tv series on sky or youtube, playing sto or solitaire, browsing the internet for useless information and sending the odd benign email to friends or family (nothing private that is saved for face to face discussion), all this gets lost in the cacoffiny of the millions of users who do the same thing.

unless you are planning on overthrowing the government or joining some undesirable terrorist group or to commit somesuch unlawful deed then frankly I don't give a monkeys and I don't suppose Microsoft or anyone else will eather.

• Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I'm going to say this: First you do not need to reinstall 7. If you go to backup and restore, there is a 30 day rollback. it restores all previous windows 7 information and resets your 7 password if you linked to microsoft account in 10. Second, YES STO Runs on Windows 10. Third. Activate Cortana and ask her to "Beam Me Up Scotty". You will love the results.

People who are obesses with 100 percent privacy on the internet clearly have something to hide as you will NEVER have privacy when you're connected online. Just accept it. And If anyone thinks Windows 8 is better than 10, well, I give you props for defending 8, not many are willing to.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

add free?? this is a joke, right?? why they will include adds in the first place?? lol...

I also think caring for privacy is stupid. You will get the same privacy running W10 or windows 95. This only demonstrates the great ignorance some people have talking about some matters lol. Privacy? xD, i mean.. is that even a thing these days?? o.O
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    kittyflofy wrote: »

add free?? this is a joke, right?? why they will include adds in the first place?? lol...

the add free software I am talking of is the freeware or paid for software you can download from the internet or buy in shops such as games like monkey island, call of duty and grand theft auto, all of these will still run on windows 10.

stuff that you download free from the windows apps store is all supported by adverts though they can often be removed if you are willing to pay but this is no different to apps you download from the apple or android apps store and can you really blame Microsoft for getting in on this market.

the idea for the adds in the apps is it pays for the software so you don't have to, seems only fair if you think about it.

also don't forget that like apple and android store many of the apps in the Microsoft store are 3rd party offerings and most of the revenue gained from adverts in these go to the 3rd party developers.

• Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Win 10 lasted 24 hours on my main PC before it was rolled back to 8.1

In fairness to MS I think it was a fault shared between MS and Nvidia. I use Nvidia surround so that I can play STO across 3 monitors. This broke completely. If I used the Driver that MS insisted on install I couldn't get the Nvidia control panel to come up. When I I tried to install the actual Nvidia drivers the scanner on the nvidia site declared I didnt have any capable graphics hardware! I have an MSI GT750ti!

After much faffing about on Google, using my spare PC, I gave up and rolled back.

Anyone else managed to get Nvidia Surround up and running yet?

As for Win 10 itself, I've had it on bench test on my corporate networks for a while and it seems OK. To be honest its evolutionary not revolutionary.

To those that are unsure about it I'd say you are not missing anything earth shattering. It IS better than Win 8 but its not that exciting. Waiting for a while will not hurt, that way hardware vendors drivers can catch up.

Oh and to those that have it installed, go to settings>Windows Update>Advanced Options>Choose how updates are delivered.

Windows updates (which are now compulsory) are delivered through a torrent system as well as from MS and this is on by default. Which means any updates you have downloaded will be distributed to other PC's on the net. It might have an impact on your PC's performance/Bandwidth, especially if you have a slower net connection.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    Win 10 lasted 24 hours on my main PC before it was rolled back to 8.1

In fairness to MS I think it was a fault shared between MS and Nvidia. I use Nvidia surround so that I can play STO across 3 monitors. This broke completely. If I used the Driver that MS insisted on install I couldn't get the Nvidia control panel to come up. When I I tried to install the actual Nvidia drivers the scanner on the nvidia site declared I didnt have any capable graphics hardware! I have an MSI GT750ti!

After much faffing about on Google, using my spare PC, I gave up and rolled back.

Anyone else managed to get Nvidia Surround up and running yet?

As for Win 10 itself, I've had it on bench test on my corporate networks for a while and it seems OK. To be honest its evolutionary not revolutionary.

To those that are unsure about it I'd say you are not missing anything earth shattering. It IS better than Win 8 but its not that exciting. Waiting for a while will not hurt, that way hardware vendors drivers can catch up.

Oh and to those that have it installed, go to settings>Windows Update>Advanced Options>Choose how updates are delivered.

Windows updates (which are now compulsory) are delivered through a torrent system as well as from MS and this is on by default. Which means any updates you have downloaded will be distributed to other PC's on the net. It might have an impact on your PC's performance/Bandwidth, especially if you have a slower net connection.

shame about your graphics driver I expect there will be an update for that very soon, as for the windows update being on a torrent unless its a full service pack that will be released very rarely, most updates are pretty small and don't forget that millions of users will be serving the torrent so the effect on a single user will be unnoticeable.

a well known online tank game uses the torrent system to distribute its updates and they don't have anywhere near as many users and I don't recall seeing any of its players complain about it slowing their system and most of their updates are far larger then most updates you will ever get from Microsoft.

then again with your old system how many times have you been paying sto or something and when you have gone to shut down found you have downloaded windows updates in the background completely without your knowledge, personally this has happened to me 100`s of times, I really don't think the new system will be any worse 99% of the time.

also I have always had automatic updates set on all of my systems so there's really no difference to have compulsory updates as that's basically the same thing for me.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

• Options
    edited August 2015

shame about your graphics driver I expect there will be an update for that very soon, as for the windows update being on a torrent unless its a full service pack that will be released very rarely, most updates are pretty small and don't forget that millions of users will be serving the torrent so the effect on a single user will be unnoticeable.

a well known online tank game uses the torrent system to distribute its update and I don't recall seeing any of its players complain about it slowing their system and most of their updates are far larger then most updates you will ever get from Microsoft.

You are no doubt right Bobby about the drivers. I'll sit back and wait for the moment on my main PC but I'll go ahead and install it on my utility PC when it pops up.

I had to roll back to Win 8.1 in the meantime as I'd got the STO screen set out as I liked across three monitors. Going back to one screen was painful lol
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    If you look at the history of the windows OS then windows 8 should be GREAT! ill start with 98 since 95 is well,, TRIBBLE. But anyway 98= good in its day ME= Migraine addition XP= AWESOME! Possibly the greatest version Vista= TRIBBLE Win 7 great in my experience! As good as XP 8 = TRIBBLE 10= ? Following this logically,, 10 should be just as good or better than XP or 7. Ive been wrong before...
    you forgot win2k, which was an amazing upgrade from 98. i ran that for many years until a sound driver issue forced me to xp.
    ​​

It wasn't forgotten, it just doesn't count in that list, Win2k wasn't a standard Windows OS, it was an NT Windows OS, basically a streamlined Windows designed for office use, hence why driver support wasn't very good, you don't need all those flash drivers for office work.
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User

Windows updates (which are now compulsory)

No, they're not compulsory. To show or hide updates in windows 10 you can download this tool directly from Microsoft ...

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab

• Options
    belidos wrote: »
    If you look at the history of the windows OS then windows 8 should be GREAT! ill start with 98 since 95 is well,, TRIBBLE. But anyway 98= good in its day ME= Migraine addition XP= AWESOME! Possibly the greatest version Vista= TRIBBLE Win 7 great in my experience! As good as XP 8 = TRIBBLE 10= ? Following this logically,, 10 should be just as good or better than XP or 7. Ive been wrong before...
    you forgot win2k, which was an amazing upgrade from 98. i ran that for many years until a sound driver issue forced me to xp.
    ​​

It wasn't forgotten, it just doesn't count in that list, Win2k wasn't a standard Windows OS, it was an NT Windows OS, basically a streamlined Windows designed for office use, hence why driver support wasn't very good, you don't need all those flash drivers for office work.

Precisely. Win2k was not an upgrade of w98. It was a different operating system. Based on client-server wide features.
  • Options

No, they're not compulsory. To show or hide updates in windows 10 you can download this tool directly from Microsoft ...

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab

Thats good to know! thank you. Stikes me that a lot of this info is being somewhat glossed over by MS.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    ​​

I'm not sure what your definition of "standard" is. To me, Windows 2000 is as legitimate as any other version of Windows. It is the ancestor of the line OS's that followed it---XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10---all of which are part of the NT family.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    azurealli4nceazurealli4nce Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    Windows 10 is running well for me, and Edge blew Firefox out of the water. Not going back to Windows 8.1, although 8.1 was a nice experience too.
    DPS-Bronze, DPS-Silver, DPS-Gold, etc. are FAKE! They were created by an outvoted minority who destroyed the original DPS channels!

Tactical Team sucked, once upon a time. I got it buffed. Don't think for a minute that Cryptic ignores forum feedback.
  • Options
    mjaybirdmjaybird Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    10 is better then 7 and I would upgrade to it, 10 is a good OS and what 8 should have been
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    mjaybird wrote: »
    10 is better then 7 and I would upgrade to it, 10 is a good OS and what 8 should have been

You are one of those who thinks that because 10 is a bigger number than 7, its better. Well, sorry to dissapoint you but in the long race of windows operating systems, this rule was only true in a few ocasions.

And of course IF - and only if Windows 10 is "better" than previous versions, you will need to wait a few months for the several updates and patches to have a final view of the product, as any other windows operating system. Until then, its all guesses. Remember (again) that newer things not always mean better things. And again, just because it works fine for you doesnt mean it is a "better" operating system.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

A change I'm very happy to see.

Forced updates were the main reason I wasn't going to put 10 on my laptop. I often tether my laptop to my smartphone at work, the last thing I wanted was to be forced to use my monthly cellular data allocation on forced updates. Thanks for sharing that, it will come in handy down the road when I eventually make the change.
    Insert witty signature line here.