test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Windows 10

We are all upgrading to windows 10 next week for free so lets hope STO will work on it. Cryptic better support windows 8 and 10 since most will be using those systems

Comments

• Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    STO runs on Windows 8. I'm using Windows 8.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I swear to God I'll reformat my whole drive and shove 7 back in if it doesn't. I'm actually a little scared some of my programs and games will TRIBBLE out with 10.

While it's free download I'm very hesitant.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    Let's get some DirectX 12 support for STO too while we're at it
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • Options
    mjaybirdmjaybird Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    I am going to pet Windows 10 with ISO on a disk then put it on a 1tb hard drive and have my 500gb for windows 7 so I can use both
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User

tso5gra.gif
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    RossFLRossFL Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I've been running the latest Windows 10 test build and it has been running just as good as Windows 7 since AMD rolled out supporting drivers for Win10. The game is still laggy from directX 11 issues though regardless of which version of Windows.
  • Options
    dunklestosisdunklestosis Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Has been working fine for me for awhile now on Win 10 preview. Now, tonight it won't go past checking versions when I launch the client, gets stuck at reading the STO version, if it even gets there, client is loading really slow. I'm currently checking if I changed anything that would affect this. If anyone has any input, I'll take it.
  • Options
    derekbenakderekbenak Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    mjaybird wrote: »
    We are all upgrading to windows 10 next week for free so lets hope STO will work on it. Cryptic better support windows 8 and 10 since most will be using those systems

I have been running STO on Windows 10 since build 10049 without any (additional) problems. I can play using the highest video settings using the 353.30 driver for Nvidia.

Lifetime Member since 2010 (beta)

44057-star-trek-redshirts-the-walkin-Zq2E.jpeg
  • Options
    dichtbringerdichtbringer Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    Confirming, also running Windows 10 since a couple of weeks and aside from the ultra lag of death, there are no further issues. ​​
    STO Voice Control Tutorial Video: WATCH
    ELITE STF SPEED RECORDS (time on optional remaining):
    S07: KASE: 12:54 | CSE: 13:20 | ISE: 12:38 All held personally, my POV
    LOR: KASE: 13:19 | CSE: 13:47 | ISE: 13:34 None held personally, other player's POV
    S08: coming soon
  • Options
    martinihenriemartinihenrie Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Same, have been using W10 just fine for several builds.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User

I'm certainly not. Given that MS has said it will be available to download free (with a qualifying OS) for two years; I'm in no rush as it has no 'must have' new features for me. I'll wait for people like you to rush in ; discover all the DL and conversion issue MS didn't catch; let MS correct those; and also make sure Win 10 drivers exist (and are stable and out of beta) before upgrading myself -- but that's me.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,334 Arc User

I'm crossing my fingers that the new DX12 in windows 10 will finally allow me to start STO without using safe mode. Despite all the tricks (set Gfx to DX9 and use windowed mode instead of full screen) i get the infernal black screen at startup whenever i forget to use safe mode.

Hopefully this new driver will fix that rather annoying problem.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    i can confirm that STO works fine on windows 10, I have been running STO on windows 10 since they released the final build to insiders (testers) and I installed it to my main system as its the RTM ( release to manufactures) version that you would get if you bought a new pc.
    previous builds of windows 10 I only ran on a standby pc that didn't have STO installed as I didn't want to take the risk with my main system in case something went wrong.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    phoenixwraithphoenixwraith Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Windows 10 under the hood is a lot like windows 7 & 8. some things have changed during beta testing of it. so I got a link for you guys to try. Hopefully I will be able to check it out later on today on my machine. Honestly it worked earlier this week but have not tested it since i got the full build.

Check the link and give it a try. if it works please leave a comment.
    howtogeek.com/219782/is-windows-10-backwards-compatible-with-your-existing-software/

Hope this works for you guys.
  • Options
    immudzenimmudzen Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    I am running Windows 10 here also and I have had no problems with the game or any other game for that matter. The install went smoothly and all my apps are where I left them and everything is still working.

Very smooth upgrade.
  • Options
    static112static112 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    its not working for me and i am on Windows 10 I believe that it maybe a case of uninstalling and reinstalling the game.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    We are all upgrading to windows 10 next week...

No, we all aren't.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    static112static112 Member Posts: 17 Arc User

No, we all aren't.

You know windows 10 is actually all right and is not like Windows 8... right
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    It worked fine for me on w10. The only issue I had is with some misbehaving fxaa stuff seemingly being applied by windows itself, as well as a minor issue with my usb keyboard falling asleep if it isn't used for a few seconds.
    STO worked fine, no reinstalls needed. Just a straight upgrade from w7x64 to w10x64.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    static112 wrote: »

No, we all aren't.

You know windows 10 is actually all right and is not like Windows 8... right

What does that have to do with that I said?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    Confirmed, posting from Windows 10... no issues so far.
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • Options
    fcaptkmtonfcaptkmton Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    You have a year to upgrade for free, don't fret. If your not ready wait a few months and upgrade.
  • Options
    captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    I tried to upgrade a standby PC running win7 Pro annnnnnnnd,, no dice. Cant even find the place to download it. Was supposed to see a little icon on the taskbar, but that never came up. I want to test STO on that comp, and a few other programs before I go full speed ahead. Either way my main machine will stay win7 for the foreseeable future.
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,878 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Confirmed, posting from Windows 10... no issues so far.

Same. And there's new stuff in W10 (besides it simply being a comprehensively better windows) that's directly applicable to this game (ex. built-in gameplay capture, alt+Windows+R.) I really don't see the sense in willfully opting out now, seems more like posturing than anything else.

For those with a bit more sense go ahead and upgrade without worry. STO runs fine with the new OS.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,878 Arc User
    I tried to upgrade a standby PC running win7 Pro annnnnnnnd,, no dice. Cant even find the place to download it. Was supposed to see a little icon on the taskbar, but that never came up. I want to test STO on that comp, and a few other programs before I go full speed ahead. Either way my main machine will stay win7 for the foreseeable future.

Linky
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User

And why do you think people will upgrade to winwows 10?? i have a perfect windows 7 that works amazingly well, i am not going to change it for anything in the world lol. You assume too much.

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    You're not getting me out of XP... I'd still be in ME if I hadn't needed a new laptop. ​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    I'll wait for the 1st service pack... and keep my Win 7 installation disk. Beware of the word "free".
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.