What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Windows 10

Comments

• Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    mjaybird wrote: »
    We are all upgrading to windows 10 next week for free so lets hope STO will work on it. Cryptic better support windows 8 and 10 since most will be using those systems

not all of us. last year i was still running xp and finally updated to 7. i saw ME, vista, 8, etc... i know better than to be the first on the bandwagon.​​
  • Options
    kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    We are all upgrading to windows 10 next week for free so lets hope STO will work on it. Cryptic better support windows 8 and 10 since most will be using those systems

not all of us. last year i was still running xp and finally updated to 7. i saw ME, vista, 8, etc... i know better than to be the first on the bandwagon.​​

In fact i think more than half of the users will NOT upgrade to windows 10. There is no reason to. If your actual SO is working really well, it will be stupid to change. Why change? im too experienced in these things to know that if a SO works great, its better to keep it that way. And not because of a couple of more shinys i will change my SO xD. Thats stupid.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I will probably go with Windows 10 eventually, I just don't understand the people that think that they must do it right away. You have a year to claim your free upgrade, so why jump on day one?

I prefer to let the rest of the world finish this glorified beta test and get the bugs worked out before I upgrade. I'm also waiting for a method to do a clean install, I don't personally like the idea of bulldozing one Operating System over the top of another.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    "glorified beta test".
    Oh horror of horrors, it actually works!
    I need a beer.

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    kittyflofy wrote: »

And why do you think people will upgrade to winwows 10?? i have a perfect windows 7 that works amazingly well, i am not going to change it for anything in the world lol. You assume too much.

you would probably find that windows 10 runs just as well and apart from the fact that its currently free the icing on the cake is it has all the latest cool features.
    also if you find you don't like it you can revert to your existing system with just a few mouse clicks and a very short system restore providing you do an upgrade instead of a clean install.
    but given time everyone with a windows pc will be using windows 10 when all the old pc`s break down or wont run all the new games and software that requires DX12 that only comes with windows 10 so your only putting off the inevitable.
    windows 10 also seems to have no problem running older software as so far I haven't found anything I have that wont run on it.
    also as mainstream support for windows 7 ended in January of this year and in a few years time security updates will end you`ll be wanting a secure pc with windows 10 or risk being TRIBBLE.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    I tried to upgrade a standby PC running win7 Pro annnnnnnnd,, no dice. Cant even find the place to download it. Was supposed to see a little icon on the taskbar, but that never came up. I want to test STO on that comp, and a few other programs before I go full speed ahead. Either way my main machine will stay win7 for the foreseeable future.

Linky
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Thank you! Thank you very much! * Runs off to install windows 10... crosses fingers*
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • Options
    tieberionetieberione Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    STO was the only game that worked right off the bat for me after a clean install. Pretty much everything else I had to go back and do a manual install of DX9, 2005 C+, 2010 c+, etc. But it's working great, no lag, no crashes, etc. So Windows 10 (64 bit) on an SSD, OLD x58 chipset with a 6 core xeon 5670, 12 GB ddr3, and a GTX 980
    Tieberion, Captain of the USS Excalibur NX-97000-B

• Options
    captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    If you look at the history of the windows OS then windows 8 should be GREAT! ill start with 98 since 95 is well,, TRIBBLE. But anyway 98= good in its day ME= Migraine addition XP= AWESOME! Possibly the greatest version Vista= TRIBBLE Win 7 great in my experience! As good as XP 8 = TRIBBLE 10= ? Following this logically,, 10 should be just as good or better than XP or 7. Ive been wrong before...
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    i updated to win 10 and my graphic driver wasn't compatable despite the stupid update.

my advice is to wait some like my partner didn't have problems with his pc but i wouldn't risk it yet.

in the end i converted back to win 7 which u can do after installing but only for a month.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options

you would probably find that windows 10 runs just as well and apart from the fact that its currently free the icing on the cake is it has all the latest cool features.

Yeah sure, thats the same thing said in the past for each every SO released by microsoft lol. The point is even if W10 is a thousand times better than Windows 7 i dont have any reason to migrate. Coolest features??? oh yeah, the same was said about windows 7, windows vista, windows blah blah blah. I want useful and practical features, not "cool" ones.
  • Options
    happymarvinhappymarvin Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    i updated to win 10 and my graphic driver wasn't compatable despite the stupid update.

my advice is to wait some like my partner didn't have problems with his pc but i wouldn't risk it yet.

in the end i converted back to win 7 which u can do after installing but only for a month.

Both NVIDIA and AMD had updated drivers released for Windows 10. AMD had the drivers ready the moment the first wave of Win 10 downloads started.

So far the only issue I'm having is their new video player crashing everytime I go full screen, but fortunately Media Player is still installed, and working.

The OS boots up so fast, and I'm using a ten year old HDD, a slow CPU and only 4GB of RAM (my old motherboard went, and took my CPU with it, so I bought cheap replacements to hold me over)... I really need a new computer...
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I'm going to wait until you guys have tested it out :-)
  • Options

Yeah sure, thats the same thing said in the past for each every SO released by microsoft lol. The point is even if W10 is a thousand times better than Windows 7 i dont have any reason to migrate. Coolest features??? oh yeah, the same was said about windows 7, windows vista, windows blah blah blah. I want useful and practical features, not "cool" ones.

just cos somethings cool doesn't rule out it being useful and practical as well you know.
    having said that if it works for you then stick with windows 7, no need to change.
    this just reminds me of the guy I know who refuses to pay any of his bills by standing order so still uses a cheque book and wouldn't touch online banking with a barge pole but it works for him so why change.

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    mods, can you merge this thread with the one in ten forward about windows 10?
    ten forward windows 10 link.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

just cos somethings cool doesn't rule out it being useful and practical as well you know.
    having said that if it works for you then stick with windows 7, no need to change.
    this just reminds me of the guy I know who refuses to pay any of his bills by standing order so still uses a cheque book and wouldn't touch online banking with a barge pole but it works for him so why change.

Well, nice try with that cmparision but unfortunately i think you really dont have any experience in operating systems. Not because an operating system is new and with "cool" features that means it is "better" than an old one. And this have been proven dozens of times. People dont change operating systems because they are lazy. They dont do it because there is no need to and there is a high probabilty that the new operating system works far worst than the one you have installed and works amazingly well. As others said, i will only consider to change to W10 after several months when all the issues are resolved. By then, i will see. But even then, i dont think i will ever change (for now) the OS. And its probably that, by the time i consider to migrate to W10, the game is already finished... so.

I tried every single SO i could, from windows 3.x to windows 8 and in between, windows millenium, windows nt, windows 95, windows 98 and watever. I tried all of em. And in 99% of the cases, my "new" operating system was even worst than my previous one at least until microsoft was able to fix it. But i only changed my so in 2 ocasions. From windows 98 to windows xp. And from windows xp to windows 7. And thats all. Windows 7 works incredible for me, it takes about 8-10 seconds to show the desktop since i push the on button on my case (and no i dont have a sdd lol) and it runs smoothly as heaven. Of course i am a computer guy and i know how to optimize the so and i know how to limit my back-end programs and things like that. I dont have trash on my computer. That for a start. I dont have thousands of direct access on my desktop. I dont have my hard drives filled with documents everywhere. You know what i mean.

What will windows 10 give me that i will "need" and it will make my life easier??? if you can convince me answering that, i will try windows 10. :S

• Options

I actually agree with you. You accidentally mis-quoted me, I didn't say what you quoted. I haven't 'upgraded' to 10, and I'm not going to for some time. I have a year, so I'm not in a hurry.

I'm going to do it eventually, but after these problems are fixed and driver support is more solid. I generally also find most of the 'cool new features' to be largely useless.
  • Options
    Actually with these terrible forums i dont have a clue who i quote and who i dont quote... sometimes it is just a mess.
  • Options
    Actually with these terrible forums i dont have a clue who i quote and who i dont quote... sometimes it is just a mess.

Understandable, that's why I didn't think anything of it. Vanilla has the same 'cool new features' as some versions of Windows. ;)
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    It's funny. I was about to get ready for all the Windows 10 stuff when my 7 just disintegrated this friday. Since then, I'm trying (without much success) to restore it to a point from which Windows 10 will become available again.

Let me just mention this: Windows update is a piece of TRIBBLE.

(Sorry, I really had to ventilate that from my system.)
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    alinonalinon Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I tried out Win10 early on and just installed it on release on my gaming rig. They've made some decent progress since the last time I used it. I was going to upgrade my laptop but it seems they've been lazy and are asking everyone to wait until November to upgrade due to not having any drivers ready yet.
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    Give it a massive wait. Windows 10 is bound to be unstable this early on. So wait until the New Year to install it. Besides, starting a new year with a new OS, that could be a great change to your routine-laden life.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    fcaptkmton wrote: »
    You have a year to upgrade for free, don't fret. If you're not ready wait a few months and upgrade.

Aye. I'll give it a few months, once some emergency patches have rolled out and so on just in case.​​
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    If you look at the history of the windows OS then windows 8 should be GREAT! ill start with 98 since 95 is well,, TRIBBLE. But anyway 98= good in its day ME= Migraine addition XP= AWESOME! Possibly the greatest version Vista= TRIBBLE Win 7 great in my experience! As good as XP 8 = TRIBBLE 10= ? Following this logically,, 10 should be just as good or better than XP or 7. Ive been wrong before...
    you forgot win2k, which was an amazing upgrade from 98. i ran that for many years until a sound driver issue forced me to xp.
    ​​
  • Options
    frankieaqfrankieaq Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    works fine for me as well
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User

Working fine for me too and NOT bad at all
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    you forgot win2k, which was an amazing upgrade from 98. i ran that for many years until a sound driver issue forced me to xp.
    ​​

And still it was based on windows NT. Remember that windows NT has been always the best operating system microsoft ever made and all server based operating systems microsoft did are based on the NT technology (nt just means new tech). Of course it was a long time ago, but still. It didnt even need updates.

But every year microsoft always said that the new OS will have a lot of new features and improvements. Of course none of that matters if the operating system itself is as unstable as the sea. Something that happened with a lot of em lol and nothing ever improved until a few months passed and updates were made to those operating systems.

Windows 10 will not be an exception. But again, i will never ever (not even after a few monhts) change my actual windows 7 that works wonders right now. I dont even want to see windows 10 lol. I dont need to.
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    10 runs great for me, and the game works wonderfully well.
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I am not jumping on the Windows 10 bandwagon just yet. Still using Win 7 on my desktop and Win 7/8.1 on my two laptops.

I downloaded the Win 10 ISO, but I might just wait for SP1 to be released first. Although I try Win 10 on my Win 8.1 laptop... after I create a backup image.
  • Options
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    I am not jumping on the Windows 10 bandwagon just yet. Still using Win 7 on my desktop and Win 7/8.1 on my two laptops.

I downloaded the Win 10 ISO, but I might just wait for SP1 to be released first. Although I try Win 10 on my Win 8.1 laptop... after I create a backup image.

I always have second partitions to "try" new operating systems. I will never ever get rid of my actual os. Specially if it works really great. So even if i install w10 eventually (not until a few months passed, like everyone else) that will never mean that i will replace my actual SO.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    since the windows 10 insider program has been running since October with millions of beta testers ironing out all the bugs so for its launch this version would be about as stable as you can get and having used it since launch and as an insider for some time before that I can honestly say my laptop is no less stable now then it was under windows 7.

still its up to the user to choose to upgrade and if they prefer to stay with windows 7 that's up to them but as its so easy to revert to your original set up providing you do it within a month I really cant see why anyone would not want to at least give it a try for a couple of weeks before making snap judgements.