Install Arc
Options

Tales of the War #12

Comments

• Options
    arkangel11004arkangel11004 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    xylyl wrote: »
    Thankfully Nog asserted leadership in such a critically time sensitive (pun unintended) endeavour!

Storyline, lockbox ship, FE aside, what still begs the question for me is why the Krenim with their earlier timeship needed to be defeated by an unknown alliance? Once the timeship is completed, the my advice is: When dealing with the Krenim, watch your back.

@xylyl
    Yes, the Krenim seem a bit too eager to change time, and they seem to look out for themselves first. That was the downfall of the original time ship. Annorax, its commander, kept removing planets from time in an attempt to restore the Krenim to power. (I'm assuming you haven't seen ST:VOY Year of H*ll, unless of course your comment was intended to be in universe) However, after his first attempt, he erased his wife from time, who funnily enough, was not on board the ship. He was then corrupted and continually tried to get her back. Was defeated by an alliance, the "unknown one" mentioned, by a version of Voyager and some other ships. This is where we get chroniton torpedoes.
  • Options
    khenaliankhenalian Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    It seems more and more likely that the Timeship Weapon is going to become a massive Deus Ex Machina to win the war for the Alliance, which is a horrible storyline to end this horrible storyline of a war.

Well done, Cryptic.
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    It's all very good messing about with all that timey wimey stuff, but where's the profit. Nog has the Staff of the G.N with him for a reason you know...

With Risa virtually giving good Ferengi vessels away, Nog leading missions of great importance, there's profit in the air all right!

He may have earned his Starfleet Captaincy, but he is Ferengi by blood...

:warning: ​​
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Yea that isn't the best story ending. However a birdie told me there is a possible timeship accident mission on the horizon before the end comes.
    Post edited by arkangel11004 on
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    The Alliance is at the point of destroying the underpinnings of reality itself and I can understand why you may not want to be able to fire this thing more than once.

Nice to see Nog step up. (and the Bluegill poster has been one of my favorites on the loading screens). New STF to defend the timeship construction site? :)

Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    Yea, its questionable when the war gets to the point of wiping your enemy out of reality. However it appears Sela is trying to get help for the war as per the Iconian Resistance Rep.

I think the alliance is just too small. I think the Voth, Cardassians, Krenim, Benthans, Hazari and others will have to band together to eventually defeat the Iconians. Maybe even the Undine and Borg.

Or at least, thats the way Trek would do it. Ultimate Cooperation. Cryptic may not do this
  • Options
    alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    I have a bad feeling that the Krenim know what happened to their Imperium and why it "downgraded" they're just not telling us. If they don't know, they'll find out eventually. Since Voyager eradicated that timeline when Janeway rammed into that weapon ship. When the time comes, the Krenim will erase the Vaadwaur. On top of that the Iconians. IF the Krenim decide to erase them from the timestream as well. If that happens, Romulus and Remus will not get blown up from the Hobus supernova. Which means the Alliance between New Romulus, Klingon Empire and the Federation wouldn't even exist and they will still continue fighting among each other. On top of that they'll probably erase the Federation itself from time just out of pure spite.
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    freakium wrote: »
    random909 wrote: »
    I hope we get to command this venerable vessel... And it's NOT in a Krenim Lockbox.... But I'll hold my judgement until I have more information provided to me. :)

A certain site has already revealed this ship to be included in a lockbox equipped with a chroniton lance.

It's a good chance we will get the chance to own one of these big time ships, but it will not be on the cheap. Expect it to be the next must want lockbox ships when it is released to Holodeck. (note: I tried to give this response via my iPad, but this new forum does not like my iPad so it would not allow me to post... another reason for not liking Vanilla.)
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    Glad to see Seven's got something to work on, but we're really building this thing?!

For frak's sake, I hope we won't actually use the ship.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    khenalian wrote: »
    It seems more and more likely that the Timeship Weapon is going to become a massive Deus Ex Machina to win the war for the Alliance, which is a horrible storyline to end this horrible storyline of a war.

Well done, Cryptic.
    Or it could just be like World War 2.

Really can't see the problem with that (especially if the aim of future seasons is to lead into the Temporal Cold War).
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    hipachilleshipachilles Member Posts: 195 Arc User

Well done, Cryptic.

I don't know - the lesson from "Year of Hell" has to be resonating with them, given they are pulling so much current STO plot form that one episode. I would be shocked if they entirely missed the point that altering the timeline is a reasonable fix.

Really can't see the problem with that (especially if the aim of future seasons is to lead into the Temporal Cold War).

This seems more likely to me. We try to use the weapon (just like the atomic bombs of WW2) and it becomes obvious that this is a power we shouldn't be deploying yet, if ever. While some may push for continued use - I'm looking at you Koren - cooler heads will prevail and find another way.

I think @khenalian is correct on one thing - this war will be won through Deux Ex Machina. But it will be the more classical Greek variety, where the "Other" will show up and join/heal the Iconians, who will just kind of leave us alone and go away.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Another thought is that the time ship is temporally shielded. Those inside are outside all time streams. Only those in temporally shielded vessels will be unaffected. After the timeship being used , when its over, only those inside will have remembered the whole war. We will have learned nothing, gained nothing, and all those outside the ship will be altered extensively. Where's the point in winning a war that never happened? The federation will thrive yes, and people will have not died, but no one will have been saved, no victories won, because no war will have happened. No bonding between the Fed,Klg,Rom. They will not have learned to fight together against others.

All will have no knowledge of the war, some may have died in other places, some may never have been born, or never served. The Enterprise- E may not have been destroyed. Romulus may still exist, and Romulus still at a stalemate with the federation. Spock would still be in this universe. The undine will not have attacked, Klingons would still be allies of the federation.

This is all assuming that the iconians/their original enemies did not have roles in shaping the eventual Humans, Klingons, and Vulcans/Romulans.

All of this may start the temporal cold war, but I'm pretty sure the federation didn't start it. It was mentioned somewhere in ST:Enterprise who started it. Pretty sure the Temporal cold war was in the 27th or 29th century anyway. This is still 25th century, 200 years to go.

An interesting thought anyway...
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User

Well done, Cryptic.

I think that may well be where the story is going. The story has moved to make temporal f--kery our best weapon against the Iconians. So when we finally defeat the Iconians, we'll all have a bunch of temporal technology from the war. And given that there are species in the Temporal Cold War that are currently unknown to or at odds with the Alliance powers, it's possible that a species such as the Tholians or Nah'kul will adopt aggressive postures towards the Alliance, resulting in the Temporal Cold War (or at least, a version of it).
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options

Well done, Cryptic.

I think that may well be where the story is going. The story has moved to make temporal f--kery our best weapon against the Iconians. So when we finally defeat the Iconians, we'll all have a bunch of temporal technology from the war. And given that there are species in the Temporal Cold War that are currently unknown to or at odds with the Alliance powers, it's possible that a species such as the Tholians or Nah'kul will adopt aggressive postures towards the Alliance, resulting in the Temporal Cold War (or at least, a version of it).

Given that we win the war, by removing something from the time stream, The war will have never happened. All temporal tech would not have been built, and no Alliance would exist. Only the ship would remain, and any temporal investigations people in shielded ships would know anything. Thats the problem with as you say, TRIBBLE with the timeline.

I'm not surprised with something about time travel though. Star Trek excels at time stories. We'll see where the stories lead us.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Given that we win the war, by removing something from the time stream, The war will have never happened. All temporal tech would not have been built, and no Alliance would exist. Only the ship would remain, and any temporal investigations people in shielded ships would know anything. Thats the problem with as you say, **** with the timeline.

I'm not surprised with something about time travel though. Star Trek excels at time stories. We'll see where the stories lead us.

I'm not so sure that that is going to end the war. A little bird I know predicts a Year of HeII/Temporal Ambassador-esque scenario in which we damage the timeline and have to fix it.

EDIT: Accidentally cut the part of the post I was responding to, whoops.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Yea that isn't the best story ending. However a birdie told me there is a possible timeship accident mission on the horizon before the end comes.

Oh? Are we accidentialy wiping out the Klingon race? Players won't be pleased. But then you just can't stop progress. :p
  • Options
    axisomega623axisomega623 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Maybe Sisko is "the Other"? He was never a full Prophet...They saved and in the end he said he still had a great deal of work to do throughout time...
    Q'palaa & Jolan'Tru, --> Beyond Fleet Admiral

iconians.png

"The Iconians and their allies are here...we must stop and save them at the same time before they destroy us...out of TIME"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Personally, I'd like to forget "Star Drek: Voyajerk" happened altogether, but it seems STO is destined to shove it back in my face.

>_>
    <_<
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    sov42 wrote: »
    Personally, I'd like to forget "Star Drek: Voyajerk" happened altogether, but it seems STO is destined to shove it back in my face.

>_>
    <_<

Well Voyager is Geko's favorite. So you should get used to the thought that there will be a lot more of this in the future.
  • Options
    xanthraelxanthrael Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I think Nog is pretty much a Ferengi warrior-prince by now, with all the leadership skills and general badassularity that entails.
    I am a radical feminist, and as such have no fear of being controversial. Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and I love it.
  • Options
    nostalgiamannostalgiaman Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    They're actually building the worst weapon never* invented? That dumb thing is like using a nuke when time travel is already insanely hard to trick out when using a (sonic) screwdriver! The temporal shielding is vastly more useful. Being able to move outside of time puts them on the same footing as the Iconians. Except the Iconians don't know the Alliance can do it, so the first strike can be lethal. And outside of that, literally every last vessel the Alliance uses is a bloody time machine. Just add star. Meaning its a worse tool than the one they already have! Its not even a good emergency plan.

So I suppose this means the next 1 to 3 Featured Episodes are us being railroaded into using it, hating the catastrophically worse results, then resetting it back and doing something smart less idiotic instead?

*I'm about 70% sure that the final scene of "Year of Hell" was Annorax getting distracted and not actually inventing the damn thing. It was a confused episode. Confusing too. :p
  • Options
    khenaliankhenalian Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I'd like to once again point out that having the Timeship in the game at all, and worse - giving it to players as a Lockbox ship - is a horrible, horrible cop out. It's going to give the Iconian War, already a pretty horrible storyline as far as storylines go, a cheap and horrible ending.

Taking a unique and one-of-a-kind time ship with the ability to erase entire species from existence and handing it out to players willy-nilly is a stupid idea. Making the Iconians incapable of time travel and then using time travel to end the war is a cheap move.

The wheels are already turning for this to happen, so I know there's no reversing it, but all the hype and build up that has been leading up to this story arc has fallen completely flat. At least it will be over soon. But the more it goes on, the more disgusted I am with how horrible the story is for this arc.

Just get it over with already so we can move on to something different and new and not Iconian.
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Or, are we completely wrong with all this?

We get a Tales off the War 12 scene where we are building a weapon that the alliance's powers that be really want built because it's the only way to defeat the Iconians, yet there is a bluegill poster attached to it?

What if the Iconians know darn well they can't manipulate time, so they infest a bunch of Alliance leaders and convince them to build it for them so the Iconians can use it to their advantage. We, as the playing character, discover their intentions, and destroy the temporal aspect of the machine, leaving the vessel itself an empty shell of its former self, similar to what the Obelisk carrier became at the end of So I...

On top of this, perhaps the Preserved really are the Other, and this time ship is the Iconians tool to bring back the Other as some one who was defeated or destroyed in the past...

Just speculation, of course...
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    onenonlydrockonenonlydrock Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    What I don't get is that everyone else seems to be bothered about using a temporal weapon that could alter reality itself EXCEPT for the NPC characters in the actual game. A huge oversight IMHO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    I am not fully convinced we are building to Annorax's spec, due to the severe practical and ethical issues. To me, that remains to be seen.
    The way I understand it the plans are incomplete. And yeah, it's not going to be exactly the same.
    worffan101 wrote: »
    worffan101 wrote: »
    I predict that we will have an entire mission about building this thing, with gratuitous fawning over Voyager that will make my blood pressure spike.

I further predict that it will be named after Annorax, we will somehow know his entire history from the two-parter despite the fact that he lived a normal, happy life in the timeline we know, and it'll look just like the original weapon ship.

OK, that second bit happened in the Time In A Bottle FE, but still. The writing for the last 4 episodes has been so weak that I've barely been able to slog through the (very pretty, very hastily written) missions.

Frankly, I'd rather have one FE every 2 months that actually makes sense and is well-written than a FE every three weeks that's packed with cliches, nonsensical "tactics", the abject incompetence of House Pegh, blatant contradictions of canon, and pointless references to stuff that never happened in this timeline. Guys, I'm playing a Star Trek game. Do you really think I haven't seen Star Trek? I don't need Annorax's history regurgitated at me, I don't need my character to wax eloquent about how brilliant and troubled he was (especially since by all appearances he had no reason to be in this timeline). I want a nice, tight story about bringing the hurt to the Iconians.

Also, if you're going to make the Iconians the completely incompetent hammy posers you've been going with, may I suggest lampshading it? I know that Mass Effect 2 has a Renegade interrupt option at one point when a bad guy starts monologuing; maybe letting us shoot the Iconians in the middle of their lengthy rants about how weak we are? Because these nimrods have literally handed us victory after victory and chunk of intel after chunk of vital intel despite House Pegh's greatest attempts to doom us all through cluelessness.

Anyway. Just my beef with the writing.

I'm sure that the next episode will be very pretty, as will the Krenim timeship. I'm sure that Tacofangs and the art team will be having a ball on it. I'm sure that I will once again stop fighting and ignore the mission objectives just to look around and enjoy the beautiful scenery. But I'm also quite certain that actually playing the mission will require blood pressure meds.

ndssh.jpg

Give iiiiiiiiin to your anger! Give iiiiiiiiin to your hate! You will know the power of the Dark Side!

*Vader throws Palpy down reactor shaft*

All Hail Vader.
    With blood and rage of crimson red, ripped from a corpse so freshly dead, together with our hellish hate, we'll burn you all, that is your Fate!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    nucaeksnucaeks Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I don't trust the Krenim!​​
  • Options
    nucaeks wrote: »
    I don't trust the Krenim!​​

Join the club.
    Og12TbC.jpg

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    szim wrote: »

>_>
    <_<

Well Voyager is Geko's favorite. So you should get used to the thought that there will be a lot more of this in the future.

Well, that explains all the poor writing. XD
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    szim wrote: »

>_>
    <_<

IIRC, Voyager was chosen by players as the next big aspect of Trek to cover in STO. So apparently there are plenty of Trek fans that like Voyager.

If we want to really call them Trek Fans, after all, they like Voyager. :p #NoTrueScotsman #DS9FOREVER

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    Great. A time travel f*ckery story to handwave five years of buildup out of existence.

Give me a frakking break, Craptic.