test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fleet Armada System

Comments

• Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    The 1st Fleet is at 500 members and still active and its a 3year old fleet @zeuxidemus001, so not all large fleets have died...

There are many many of the actually.
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    heavensrun wrote: »
    My friends and I started our own fleet because we didn't want to deal with a massive group of strangers. So the new system addresses that by....asking us to deal with a massive group of strangers.

I believe the Armada system is 100% optional - private fleets can be kept private, while other fleets can become associated with others.

I'd say this is a win-win for everybody.

Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    My query would be are there any large fleets left that still actually play the game? I know most of mine died with the announcements and release of season 7 and DR. So basically they are adding even more grind with people dropping out of the playerbase like moth to the flame.

Caspian's biggest source of drama remains that our projects are filled too quickly.

Did we lose members? Sure. We lost one guy over something like whether Fleet Tier ships included C-Store consoles, I think. Something like that.

Here's the thing: You (and I and everyone else) tend to surround yourself with people that are like you in some way. And satisfaction is linked to who you talk to. So you'll tend to see big drop offs especially when you have an echo chamber of dissastified people.

A fleet of 500 people could cut down to 1 and it doesn't NECESSARILY mean anything bad for the health of the game... although I'd like to think it's avoidable.

I somehow found that I am much more satisfied with the game if I stay off vent, if I ignore the chat window, and just play when I feel like it, making social play a special occasion thing.

The more I talk to dissatisfied people, the more miserable the game is. The more I talk to happy people or nobody at all, the more I get what satisfaction I can out of it.

Being in a fleet doesn't intrinsically require much more communication than, "Hey! Could you queue up a new project? I have some stuff to dump in." If you want more than that, great. But if that drags down your enjoyment, minimize the chat window and go solo. A fleet can respect that if they're a good fleet.
  • Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    The Fleet im in Has a total of 4 T5 Bases most of them at max capacity, while there is a influx of personnel , it ebbs and flows with the content released and STO isnt our only game either .maybe we are a exception but i doubt it . large fleets with good leadership will continue to prosper IMO
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    quepan wrote: »
    The Fleet im in Has a total of 4 T5 Bases most of them at max capacity, while there is a influx of personnel , it ebbs and flows with the content released and STO isnt our only game either .maybe we are a exception but i doubt it . large fleets with good leadership will continue to prosper IMO

I agree with your assessment, but no fleet leader wants to hear their actions are causing their fleet to fail, it is easier for them to blame it on the game, Cryptic, PWE, and other fleets.
    Post edited by cidjack on
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    Is fleet level being determined differently on Tribble?

Per Cryptic: "All Fleets in an Armada will receive bonuses that increase based on the total Fleet level of all Fleets in the Armada."

If the bonuses are based on Armada Level (which is sum of all the Fleet Levels of the alpha, beta, gamma fleets) then can we get a breakdown for how fleet level is determined? On Holodeck, max level is 20 (which comes only from upgrading starbase/shipyard/fabricator/comm array up to the 5 tiers -- no credit for embassy, mine, or spire), but I'm seeing fleets with completed everything (incl. Research Lab) at level 29 -- I find it hard to believe the Research Lab alone is worth 9 unless they have yet to make embassy/mine/spire each worth 9 to max as well, so I'm expecting these are recalculated someway.

borticus had this to say on reddit:
    Every Holding Tier, including Subtracks = 1 Starbase Level
    If you have a T3 Shipyard (Tac), a T5 Fabricator (Eng), and T2 in both Embassy subtracks, that's a total of 12 Starbase Levels.
    It's not a linear progression, but rather the culmination of your total number of Holding Tiers.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3c43j1/star_base_levels_question/

...which makes no sense tbh.

I think I follow borticus:

Starbase has 3 subtracks and 5 Tiers: Shipyard, Fabricator, Comm Array [4*5 = 20 levels] This agrees with Holodeck
    Embassy has 2 subtracks and 3 Tiers. [3x3 = 9 levels] Holodeck gives 0 levels
    Dilithium Mine has 2 subtracks and 3 Tiers. [3x3 = 9 levels] Holodeck gives 0 levels
    Spire has 2 subtracks and 3 Tiers. [3x3 = 9 levels] Holodeck gives 0 levels.
    Research Lab has 2 subtracks and 3 Tiers. [3x3 = 9 levels] This appears to agree with Tribble

T3 Shipyard = 3 levels
    T5 Fabricator = 5 levels
    T2 in both embassy subtracks (but not embassy itself) = 4 levels
    Total: 12 starbase levels (assumes everything else is tier 0)

This makes sense for as long as they remember to include fleet level credit for embassy, mine, and spire. Thus, a fully-maxed fleet should have 20+9+9+9+9 = 56 fleet levels.
    A maxed armada would have 13 such fleets, for 56*13 = 728 armada level.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    Here is a question for the Devs?? Is the currency going to be fleet credits or are we gonna have to start from scratch to build up a new currency for armada items??
  • Options
    hyefather wrote: »
    Here is a question for the Devs?? Is the currency going to be fleet credits or are we gonna have to start from scratch to build up a new currency for armada items??

as far as I am concern nothing will change when the Armada System is introduced on holodeck. Althought never say never to the possibilities of Armada only holdings...

Anyways, after pondering on some possibilities of the Armada System, and Idea poped into my head. An Armada can range from 2 players (1 alpha fleet (1 member) with 1 beta fleet (1 member)) to 6,500 members (all 13 fleets at 500 each)

So the idea was taking the same system and making Armada alliances that could be made maybe from 2 to 13 Armadas making vast alliances.

Thinking of the numbers of players that could ban together with that... I calculate around 84,000 players...

This was just a thought... could it be done??? Possibly, since Armadas might be getting custom names/uniforms/logos like Fleets... as per the latest P1 Interview with Cpt. Geko... I could see an Armada Alliance System down the line offering many more perks...

What your guys's thoughts?
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    heavensrun wrote: »
    My friends and I started our own fleet because we didn't want to deal with a massive group of strangers. So the new system addresses that by....asking us to deal with a massive group of strangers.

If you pick wisely you'll barely have to deal with them.
  • Options
    Ok guys... here is an update on the Fleet Levels everyone is talking about.. or atleast I see someone talking about..

the current (Holodeck) system only takes into account the "Fleet Starbase" levels... so a full maxed out fleet T5 is level 20... this is not taking into consideration the later introduced sub-holdings i.e Spire, Embassy, Mine and now Delta...

However with the Armada System that bug is been looked at and should be fixed soon... this way a fully maxed out fleet on Holodeck should be 20STB+9*3(sub-holds) = 47...

now after S10.5 is introduce the max level a fleet will be able to gain is...

47+9(delta)=56 :)

So the current display system in holodeck is broken and not displaying the correct fleet levels.. :)

Info take from the latest P1 Interview with Al Geko Rivera. :)
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    athurrpewtyathurrpewty Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    As long as we are talking about fleet things: I would like to see a station on the fleet starbase for DOFF assignments geared toward dismantling items into their R&D components. Not the basic mineral, gas or particle components but the assemblies. Like what you'd get if you took a toaster apart. It would be based, obviously, on the overall Starbase Teir.

T1 = MkI-III, T2 = MkIV-VI, T3 = MkVII-IX, T4 = MkX - XII, T5 XIII-Epic (should you actually wish to dismantle an Epic device)

MkI-III items would take 15 minutes to complete. MkIV-VI 45 minutes, MkVII-IX 1:30, MkX-XII 2:30, MkXII-Epic 4 hrs.

To be fair, you could "grandfather" dismantling stations like this:
    If the starbase is T2, the T1 reclamation station would cost 75%; T3 would get T2 at 75%, T1 at 50%, etc. A grandfathered T5 starbase gets T1 free, T2 @ 25%, T3 @ 50%, T4 @75% before building the T5 facility.

The number of components reclaimed and success would be based on object rarity, Doff Rarity and personality traits with a prereq of having a R&D specific doff to oversee the project. So, if you have a beam weapon, you'd need (in a Fed faction case) Drolid, a Technician and a Beam Weapons Doff, for example.

Post edited by athurrpewty on
  • Options
    athurrpewtyathurrpewty Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    While I'm at it, I'd like to see some direct perks based on position in the leaderboards. It could be discounts on Dil cost for fleet items based on one's position in the top 10 on the particular leaderboard or a gift drop at each Earned Fleet Point plateau (say every 250,000 fleet points earned). Let's face it, after a certain point, I can't give top contributors anything else beyond access to fleet banks, provisions and a "Thanks for your hard work".
  • Options
    mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    When you're already working on the roster, here are a few things I've suggested earlier, that I like to see implemented in the roster/guild interfaces.

Sort by Date when someone joins a guild
    Sort by player, or character in roster

Request fleet invite Tab
    Where new members can request to become members of a fleet, exactly the same way how the Friends list works today.
    Standard new member welcoming mails that will automatically be sent out when someone joins a guild.
    Option to have a Standard mail been automatically sent out when someone gets a fleet rank promotion and/or demotion.
    Option to have a Standard mail been automatically sent out to fleet officers when someone leaves a fleet.
    Option to have a set of Fleet Uniforms that are different for Romulans characters.
  • Options
    josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    azerdraco wrote: »

Hey devs, quick piece of advice. Open a contest for the best player-designed Armada system. Limit entries to 250 words or less, and let every account submit just one entry. Then go through those entries and see what your players really want. You'll be able to tell the serious entries from the idiots really easy, and you will have the ability to contact those players with really good ideas to possibly get them to assist you in making this feature worthwhile.

I don't see the devs ever doing anything like this again. Why? Because the last "player-design contest (ie: Design the Enterprise) went over exceptionally well... NOT. It was probably the biggest debacle to hit the game from launch to that point.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    So it only took them a 2 years to finally put in what myself and a few other proponents of small fleets have been begging for.

Pretty quick turnaround considering all the other stuff that's been added to the game in those 2 years.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    Might be okay for small fleets but the problem is how will this bring players like me back into the game that have left because this specialization and ship mastery xp grindfest hasn't been addressed its a major turn off from playing especially with the doff xp taking such a heavy nerf. Pretty much took all my 20+ alts out of contention of playing this game.

So in all they are adding in a new grindfest without any fix on the last one which has driven a wedge into the playerbase even further. Although I figured some ppl still play but its nothing like it once was plus maybe people who just got into the game and accept it for what it has become.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Might be okay for small fleets but the problem is how will this bring players like me back into the game that have left because this specialization and ship mastery xp grindfest hasn't been addressed its a major turn off from playing especially with the doff xp taking such a heavy nerf. Pretty much took all my 20+ alts out of contention of playing this game.

So in all they are adding in a new grindfest without any fix on the last one which has driven a wedge into the playerbase even further. Although I figured some ppl still play but its nothing like it once was plus maybe people who just got into the game and accept it for what it has become.

As an active player, I see a number of postive things about the armada system to keep me playing. I look forward to it. I am sorry to hear you have left the game and dislike the wonderful new additions the Devs keep adding to the game. As a number of players are starting to max out their specialization trees, to think if you didn't leave you would have finished it by now.

Maybe one day the Devs will add something that meets your high standards for this game and you will join the rest of us, instead of throwing doom around on the forums.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    Expendables Fleet (FED) is relatively small, yet we have completed T3 across the board and T4 SB in only 10 months. While the "size" issue is relative, we would not be inclined to join an armada as a Beta fleet, based on our own experience with imperious Fleet leaders, who sometimes usurp the leadership for their own agenda.

As others have mentioned, trust is the most difficult component of the armada system to establish. Irrespective of the actual structural underpinnings of the system, we can never underestimate the alacrity of some players to troll others for their own ego gratification, in whatever form they choose to express it. We are willing to join with other "small" fleets in an armada, but will have to establish that trust in a fair and balanced way.

Fortunately, it appears that there will be checks & balances available in the system; I'm only concerned that there are insufficient incentives for small fleets to join a collective. For example, as we near SB T5, we're not that interested in having other fleets contribute to our projects, but would readily welcome good players to help round out private STF's, which would make it easier for the collective to earn reputation gear. We seem to knock down projects pretty quickly, so we would have ample opportunity to contribute to sub-tier fleet projects without diluting our own fleet priorities. Also, it should be possible to allow Beta & Gamma fleet members to have access to upper-Tier provisions, apart from the usual "Map Invite" process.

Cryptic has done very little to facilitate inter-fleet communications (the forums are absolutely insufficient), in-game or otherwise, so finding and endorsing a good match to one's own fleet will be a painstaking process, at best. That said, send any Expendables member a PM here or in-game, and we'll be happy to begin a new journey together!
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    kylelockekylelocke Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Star Trek Armada is still better and in Armada II GPL was used for useful items.

On a serious note, while I do understand there will be some benefits I can also see a few things going wrong here such as: communication, who's in control, bank access, rules and anything that can and will be argued over regardless of importance, also because of clashing personalities drama will ensue, leading people to leave their fleets.
    Post edited by kylelocke on
    "I will make the Orion Syndicate face the light of justice or burn them with it." - Captainl Kyle Nathaniel Locke, U.S.S. Excalibur NCC-98105-C
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    The only possible use I see for this system would be if it allowed small Fleets with lower Tier Shipyards to access the higher Tier Shipyards of other Fleets.

I've been told that this will not happen, so this system is of no use whatsoever to me.

Wasted Resources, fix the bugs instead.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    If this were cross-factional, it would be a boon to Romulan fleets, which are often divided between the two alliances due to the manner in which the RRF was implemented. I have a poll in General Discussion here asking players' views on the question of cross-factional Armadas.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    protogoth wrote: »
    If this were cross-factional, it would be a boon to Romulan fleets, which are often divided between the two alliances due to the manner in which the RRF was implemented. I have a poll in General Discussion here asking players' views on the question of cross-factional Armadas.
    what fleet isnt divided over factions?
    ​​
  • Options
    what fleet isnt divided over factions?
    ​​

tehbubbaloo, you've made your opposition to cross-faction armadas very plain in the poll thread and the thread out of which it grew. And your reasons for it, while to my mind amounting to unwarranted fear at best, have been also plain. The reasons you have given have not thus far involved making light of the RRF situation. I suggest and request that you not go in that direction; it will benefit you not.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    tehbubbaloo, you've made your opposition to cross-faction armadas very plain in the poll thread and the thread out of which it grew. And your reasons for it, while to my mind amounting to unwarranted fear at best, have been also plain. The reasons you have given have not thus far involved making light of the RRF situation. I suggest and request that you not go in that direction; it will benefit you not.
    im not making light, but merely pointing out that everybodys fleet is divided by faction. romulan or not.

​​
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited July 2015

This is why I mentioned in protogoth's poll: I feel that she/he is on the wrong mission.

Protogoth, you are aware that even if you are in cross-faction armadas...or even a cross faction FLEET....
    The KDF aligned Romulans can not TEAM UP with FED aligned Romulans? So, they still can not play together?

The only thing a Cross Faction Armada can do for Romulans is: allow you to dump resources into the same "money pit".

Cryptic has to work on making missions cross-faction.

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    where2r1 wrote: »

This is why I was mentioned in protogoth's poll: I feel that she/he is on the wrong mission.

Protogoth, you are aware that even if you are in cross-faction armadas...or even a cross faction FLEET....
    The KDF aligned Romulans can not TEAM UP with FED aligned Romulans? So, they still can not play together?

The only thing a Cross Faction Armada can do for Romulans is: allow you to dump resources into the same "money pit".

Cryptic has to work on making missions cross-faction.

You're missing the point of my poll and my intentions. I'm trying to offer Cryptic more ways of facilitating an eventual full faction status for the RRF. We have three active fleets, and one inactive (reserved for when our Fed-allied fleet is advanced enough to need it), which are divided equally between the two alliances. If we didn't have to be divided between two factions, but instead had our own, we could have two fleets instead of four, and they would naturally be able to unite into one armada. They are Romulan fleets, not KDF or Fed, because they have RRF personnel in the top fleet rank, and because that's how we play them. We don't exclude "pure" Fed or KDF members, but we view them, with very rare exceptions, as having surrendered their citizenship in the Klingon Empire or the UFP by taking service in another sovereign polity's military, and that is explained to them when they apply. I have previously suggested Romulan aesthetic projects for Fleet Starbase holdings as well as several other means of facilitating full faction status for the RRF. And even if that full faction status should never materialize, these things which I have suggested would at least soothe the raw nerves of many RRF players who feel shafted by the current situation, by giving us at least a thicker veneer of being a distinct faction.

As to the question of teaming, yes, we can team cross-faction, but only in a private match.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Good Luck with all that protogoth!
    Hope it comes to fruition for the Romulans.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    not every fleet that levels is a 'large fleet'. in fact, some are exceedingly small. i can think of two that are solo fleets, in fact.
    in case it isnt already evident, it takes a bit of effort to level a fleet, and if you arent willing to put in that effort... not every fleet deserves to hit t5.

My first instinct was to accuse you of being dishonest, but I can't discount the possibility that someone with tons of time on their hands might be able to solo a fleet to T5. Some people climb mountains, other people take on rediculously difficult tasks in video games. I find your tone frustratingly dismissive, and I lost my cool earlier but let me put it this way:

What exactly is the trait that makes someone in a large fleet worthy of doing minimal work to reap the benefits of a T5 fleet, whereas a small or even solo fleet has to struggle to generate and utilize the same number of resources? why does a person in a large fleet "deserve" to spend 1/5th of the resources on a project than a person in a smaller fleet? Both players have to spend time earning resources. Both players get similar benefits. Why should I have to work 5-10 times as hard to see my fleet develop as somebody else?

Is it because I'm slightly less inclined to interacting with strangers than the person in the large fleet? Because I'm less comfortable with people that I don't already know? Does my time spent playing have to count less than a large fleet member's because of that? Is that what we "deserve"?