test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fleet Armada System

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
We're excited to announce our new Fleet Armada system! The only way we can survive against the Iconians is if we band together all of our forces! With Season 10.5 comes a new system assisting Fleets of all shapes and sizes

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9436793

~LaughingTrendy

Comments

• Options
    seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    Still need the big question answered about it, will armada's be able to be multifactional.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Any Fleet that joins an Armada will not be able to participate in any of the bonuses or Armada contributions until a probationary period has passed.

This sucks. How long will this period last? A week? More?
    In the Fleet Roster window, the Status Column now has two new options: Join Date and Rank Changed Date.

This is however a very nice addition. Thanks!
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    "What's armada?"
    "Nothing, what's armada with you?"
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    I'm quite looking forward to this system going live. It's time for me to start putting out feelers to larger fleets to invite us in as a beta or gamma fleet, perhaps we'll get our starbase past tier 3 now.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,879 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    seannewboy wrote: »
    Still need the big question answered about it, will armada's be able to be multifactional.

What faction does that interior look to you? Hopefully that's a sign of multifaction armadas (if not just lazy environment artists and a one-size-fits-all mentality. :P)

Regardless, this is a really neat add-on cryptic. Kudos!
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options

Already been answered by Bort, no. See this post.

What faction does that interior look to you? Hopefully that's a sign of multifaction armadas (if not just lazy environment artists and a one-size-fits-all mentality. :P)

Regardless, this is a really neat add-on cryptic. Kudos!

My guess is, that interior is from the new Krenim facility holding.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    jhighfilljhighfill Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    Question, Does the system care about the faction of the fleets in the Armada?
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    This will be good to see. It will help out the larger and smaller fleets. I usually help on fleet projects. Last time I got the outfits with my marks.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    jhighfill wrote: »
    Question, Does the system care about the faction of the fleets in the Armada?

Which part of "The Armada System will not allow for cross-faction organizations when it launches." you don't understand?
  • Options
    captpatrick01captpatrick01 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    inb4 Many start giving their Armada's Corporate-sounding names...
    Oh no...

(Seriously though this is an excellent feature. With clans now being able to manage all their fleets in one convenient location.)
  • Options
    giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    Cryptic should hire me for coming up with this idea last year :P
    Even though its something better than existing problem at the moment with small fleets I do see an issue with this. Reason I see an issue stems directly from the maturity level of players and community from players to CM's/moderators. Roughly this is what will happen to it... The top fleet will make their own version of dummy corporations that will fill in where it can kick anyone at any time if they do not agree with them.

I just believe before they put something like this in the game that they put a revamp if you will into systems that promote unity rather than what is now which is you are this faction or that faction and your a dps noob or i am elite dps you are not even worth playing with attitudes. I've just seen so many ways to get rid of this behavior just needs some attention and implementing from what I've seen in some other games I've been playing and is one of the factors why I really haven't been able to get into feeling like playing sto in quite some time.
  • Options
    darthpostaldarthpostal Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    This system gives ZERO insentive for big fleets to invite small fleets to their armada.

The rewards are based on totall fleet level, so big fleets will join with other big fleets to instantly unlock max rewards.

Small fleets are left with nothing.
  • Options
    blgoldenforceblgoldenforce Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    This system gives ZERO insentive for big fleets to invite small fleets to their armada.

The rewards are based on totall fleet level, so big fleets will join with other big fleets to instantly unlock max rewards.

And that right there is why I have reservations regarding this idea. Don't get me wrong. I like being in a fleet. However, other than for donating marks, I hardly rely on them during my daily gameplay.
  • Options

Actually a large incentive would be the ability to generate fleet credits. Larger fleets (hitting max cap of 500) struggle to generate fleet credits because projects fill up so fast. Whereas small fleets sometimes take a few days to fill projects. If larger fleets take on smaller fleets as betas and gammas then their members can donate to the smaller fleets projects too which means they have a much better chance of being able to donate something to some project so as to gain fleet credits.
  • Options
    philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User

Ah, the human condition.

Results will definitely vary, some good some bad. Depending how well the system is set up will mitigate the severity of the extremes.
    Are we there yet?
  • Options
    Actually a large incentive would be the ability to generate fleet credits. Larger fleets (hitting max cap of 500) struggle to generate fleet credits because projects fill up so fast.

Good point. I didn't consider that.

As a member of a small fleet, I have at least 1.5 mil FCredits on all my chars at any given time. :smiley:

Perhaps this will work.
  • Options
    Actually a large incentive would be the ability to generate fleet credits. Larger fleets (hitting max cap of 500) struggle to generate fleet credits because projects fill up so fast.

Good point. I didn't consider that.

As a member of a small fleet, I have at least 1.5 mil FCredits on all my chars at any given time. :smiley:

Perhaps this will work.
    Yeah I'm in the same boat. I'm pretty much the sole contributor in my fleet so fleet credits haven't ever been an issue for me to get. I'd be happy to let larger fleets donate to our projects to help out.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,879 Arc User
    edited July 2015

Ah, the human condition.

Results will definitely vary, some good some bad. Depending how well the system is set up will mitigate the severity of the extremes.
    What big fleet is going to settle for gamma status (which rewards more of a fleet project discount and less skill points) when they could strike out on their own as an alpha or another armada's beta? Its because of the human condition that I don't think there's going to be much of a problem with excessive big fleet clustering. 4 may collude to form the alpha-beta nucleus but it seems more likely that they'll fill their remaining 9 gamma slots with smaller fleets who are more willing to accept that role.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    I like this. Many times, the bigger fleet Im in, its ironically hard to unload marks or whatever else you can afford, because the fleet power players have already beaten you to contributions. This way I can click around and see if some of the smaller fleets have use for my goods so I can get my fleet credits with less wait time for a new project to open up.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    christianmacchristianmac Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    I'm quite looking forward to this system going live. It's time for me to start putting out feelers to larger fleets to invite us in as a beta or gamma fleet, perhaps we'll get our starbase past tier 3 now.

Im the fleet leader of the 77th fighter squadron. we are part of a 5 fleet alliance and id like to talk to you about joining the team. hit me up through ingame mail. Christian@christianmac.
    77TH FIGHTER SQUADRON
  • Options
    And for the record, borticus already stated that armadas are not multifactional YET...they have teck issues to figure out.
    77TH FIGHTER SQUADRON
  • Options

The more fleets the higher skill point boost the alpha gets...per DEVS on Reddit
    77TH FIGHTER SQUADRON
  • Options

The more fleets the higher skill point boost the alpha gets...per DEVS on Reddit

What I ment is there is no insentive to invite small fleets and not other big fleets. Why invite a LvL 10 fleet for, say, 10% skill bonus if you can invite a LvL 50 fleet for, say, 50% bonus?

As khamseenair pointed out, big fleets might want to invite small fleets to generate more Fleet Credits. I agree, but still would like a reward system to be changed to "based on LvLs gained together as Armada" rather then "based on flat sum of Fleet LvLs".
  • Options
    Some fleets like mine the the alliance I helped build just want to have fun and help people.
    77TH FIGHTER SQUADRON
  • Options
    azerdracoazerdraco Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    I really hope that the devs pull their collective sh** together and do this feature correctly.

The whole core concept of both Delta Rising and Iconian War is that the player is part of an overall Starfleet/KDF/Romulan Alliance. Making the Armada feature factional would be asinine and pointless.

So, does anyone else expect that they will release it as a Starfleet/Klingon factional content anyway?
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    So after giving the underprovided fleets more sinks for their resources that they needed you're shrinking those sinks? And then the XP bonuses are given in greater amounts to the players who are confirmed to have more resources available to them? I really hope this isn't the XP fix Trendy hinted at.
  • Options
    azerdracoazerdraco Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    cidstorm wrote: »
    So after giving the underprovided fleets more sinks for their resources that they needed you're shrinking those sinks? And then the XP bonuses are given in greater amounts to the players who are confirmed to have more resources available to them? I really hope this isn't the XP fix Trendy hinted at.

What else would you expect? Big fleets with people stockpiling resources will be able to dump those resources into smaller fleets. Meanwhile, individuals that actually have a life and don't spend hundreds of dollars (or whatever currency) on this game each month are screwed when they find that the only resources that they can donate are either dilithium or duty officers...

The only hope that I can see is the possibility of individuals being able to freely visit Armada-member fleet holdings in order to access higher tier facilities. IF that is the case, then Beta and Gamma fleets can simply focus on provisioning projects, and can keep a dilithium-fueled project or two open for those other armada-mates that have tons of dil to spend.

Hey devs, quick piece of advice. Open a contest for the best player-designed Armada system. Limit entries to 250 words or less, and let every account submit just one entry. Then go through those entries and see what your players really want. You'll be able to tell the serious entries from the idiots really easy, and you will have the ability to contact those players with really good ideas to possibly get them to assist you in making this feature worthwhile.

Edit: I should point out that just opening access to Armada-member fleets is only half of the solution. Individual players still need some way to obtain Fleet Credits. If you have 2000 members in other member fleets constantly chomping at the bit to fill projects ....

There needs to be some way to ensure that smaller fleets are not going to have their member's contributions minimized due to simple overpopulation. It's simple math. Cutting out the "Half hour dilithium sink" projects, you have 9 projects and 8 special projects per fleet (with the new holding, that should become 11 project and 10 special project slots). Multiply that by the 13 member fleets, and you find a grand total of 143 projects and 130 special projects. While that is a large number of projects, remember that you might have upwards of five to six THOUSAND players each potentially wanting to donate to those projects...
  • Options

your not required to join in buddy. run off now and take the negativity with you.
    77TH FIGHTER SQUADRON
  • Options
    azerdraco wrote: »

What else would you expect? Big fleets with people stockpiling resources will be able to dump those resources into smaller fleets. Meanwhile, individuals that actually have a life and don't spend hundreds of dollars (or whatever currency) on this game each month are screwed when they find that the only resources that they can donate are either dilithium or duty officers...

The only hope that I can see is the possibility of individuals being able to freely visit Armada-member fleet holdings in order to access higher tier facilities. IF that is the case, then Beta and Gamma fleets can simply focus on provisioning projects, and can keep a dilithium-fueled project or two open for those other armada-mates that have tons of dil to spend.

Hey devs, quick piece of advice. Open a contest for the best player-designed Armada system. Limit entries to 250 words or less, and let every account submit just one entry. Then go through those entries and see what your players really want. You'll be able to tell the serious entries from the idiots really easy, and you will have the ability to contact those players with really good ideas to possibly get them to assist you in making this feature worthwhile.

Oi read stuff dude, fleets will be able to decide what projects are open to the armada and which arnt.
    77TH FIGHTER SQUADRON