test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would you want LCARS type Forums?

rcassandrasaturnrcassandrasaturn Member Posts: 195 Arc User
Would you want Forums to look great in LCARS style forums?

choose your vote below for each of different LCARS options.
remember to Leave a Comment below for your reason why you picked the option.
Fleet commander of Slippery When Wet.
i am Deaf Transgender girl. i'm Known to others as Korra.
you can find me on Tumblr, Twitter, Twitch

Would you want LCARS type Forums? 91 votes

The Next Generation ERA LCARS
9%
aduinfinrod1duncanidaho11daboholicstartrek1234567tritan2409xiaoping88drakomagiimperialiststhecoffinfly 9 votes
Deep Space Nine ERA LCARS
5%
vivenneanthonyfatman592khan1000nxmikek20vtec 5 votes
Voyager ERA LCARS
15%
ikonn#1068belidosrosetyler51riccardo171jodarkriderpsyman87smeeinn1tkayajayangrybobhquepanevildeadxlwelshavengerwazzagiowweirdtrekie30 14 votes
Enterprise ERA LCARS
2%
tarastheslayerstardestroyer3 2 votes
The Original Series ERA LCARS
0%
The Motion Picture ERA LCARS
0%
The Wrath of Khan ERA LCARS
1%
kodachikuno 1 vote
Cassandra's LCARS (my own version i use on my forums for my fleet)
1%
rcassandrasaturn 1 vote
Have Option to Pick any LCARS Themes for your own to use on the Official Forums
48%
nightkenrooster707scififan78strongyp1nynikilithynthemetalstickmankurumimorishitajonathanlonehawkartan42spielman1kjwashingtonmeimeitoobloodyrizmugu21arabaturwarmaker001bshadowwraith77jarenriccarlilchibiclari 44 votes
Just go with any LCARS Theme
16%
comrademocobernatkshpokshypllordsteve1gameversemanpurplegamersistericthenoname711smugsukeclipsorchilleulenewnjastorulesSeschat 15 votes

Comments

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    can you give examples of the various lcars types so people know what the differences are?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    can you give examples of the various lcars types so people know what the differences are?
    i have no example images, sorry :confused:

• Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    Not to get too nit picky on you but, TOS did not have an LCARS theme. LCARS was created for TNG because the studio wanted to show some sort of advancement in technology. In Star Trek chronology, LCARS would "first appear" on the Enterprise B (if I am not mistaken).

That being said, I voted for the choice option. Everyone should have the right to use whichever theme they like best.
  • Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    I don't want any LCARS theme on here. Every one I've seen being used on other websites has been extremely busy, hard to navigate, and generally looked poorly made. I'm sure it would be interesting if tastefully made, but what I've seen has left me skeptical.

That said, practically anything would be better than what we have.
    ;)
  • Options
    sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    I would go with option number 9, but in case that wouldn't be possible, Voyager, DS9 or TNG LCARS would be more than fine.
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
    SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    LCARS is not really functional. It's noisy and unintuitive, which is why its not used in the real world. It can work as a theme, but again- noisy and unattractive IMO.

BTW OP, your poll didn't have a selection for "No LCARS at all".
  • Options
    LCARS is not really functional. It's noisy and unintuitive, which is why its not used in the real world. It can work as a theme, but again- noisy and unattractive IMO.

It doesn't need to have any sounds at all. It's looks are good enough for me.
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015

There are users here who don't speak English as a first language, so I'm going to treat that as real comment. 'Noisy' in graphic terms means too many irrelevant images (or other features) are displayed, overwhelming useful data.

The are two primary disadvantages:
    1. The display becomes output more difficult to understand than it should be.
    2. The 'Noise' takes up space on the display, meaning less information per screen is displayed.

• Options

There are users here who don't speak English as a first language, so I'm going to treat that as real comment. 'Noisy' in graphic terms means too many irrelevant images (or other features) are displayed, overwhelming useful data.

2. The 'Noise' takes up space on the display, meaning less information per screen is displayed.

No, I was actually thinking that you really meant the sounds (those little bips you can hear on the Federation starships), although now when I rethink about it, I understand my comment is kinda funny since there really are no sounds on forums in the most cases.
    As for the irrelevant data, that could be easily excluded I guess. Besides I have already seen before some of the forums and sites with LCARS and they looked pretty decent without having much irrelevant pictures and data. A good example is that www.ditl.org page.
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

No, I was actually thinking that you really meant the sounds (those little bips you can hear on the Federation starships), although now when I rethink about it, I understand my comment is kinda funny since there really are no sounds on forums in the most cases.
    As for the irrelevant data, that could be easily excluded I guess. Besides I have already seen before some of the forums and sites with LCARS and they looked pretty decent without having much irrelevant pictures and data. A good example is that www.ditl.org page.
    If it worked like the UI for the old Birth of the Federation game it might be adequately functional.... might. Even that wasn't entirely functional either.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    But there's no "No" option . . . . ?
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »

Gmq2EZl.jpg

It's an option. Just not one you want to pick.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    The Wrath of Khan ERA LCARS
    poor taco, expecting fairness in the forums...

nice ta see ya poking around here again :)

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    As others mentioned, there's no "No" choice.

Personally, as to the "look" of the forums, I'd just make three changes:

1) Ability to disable embedding.
    2) Different background for quotes.
    3) Pagination at the bottom as well as top.

Cause then it would pretty much be the same as it was before the migration.

The big issue for me has been and will continue to be...Search.
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    dabelgrave wrote: »

What is wrong with what we have? I see a lot of "don't like" but not a lot of why.

Mostly doesn't bother me, but I would like to see larger avatars, text size on replies to the OP be larger, and demarcations between the post and the sig, and the sig and the flag/quote on the bottom. And of course Dev Tracker. But other than Dev Tracker, I won't be too bothered if the rest doesn't happen.
  • Options
    zarato4218zarato4218 Member Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I prefer TCARS but its not an option... :* . But perhaps thats just because I spend more time on my Mobius bridge plotting temporal incursions against the Iconians than I do playing the game. B) (Just kidding, but I honestly do really love the temporal bridge and the "real" version from "Relativity" with its TCARS panels, somehow they looked smoother than LCARS. I guess thats 29th century engineering for you. :) )
    As Zephram Cochrane once said, "That'll do, pig. That'll do." - April 1st 2015. o:)
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    The big issue for me has been and will continue to be...Search.

I agree. It was a hard act to follow after Wrath.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User

Same thing I was thinking here. "Real world" (I am using those words very loosely!)--I would expect Starfleet touch interfaces to look a little more like a souped-up version of iOS. ;)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    gulberat wrote: »

Same thing I was thinking here. "Real world" (I am using those words very loosely!)--I would expect Starfleet touch interfaces to look a little more like a souped-up version of iOS. ;)

To be honest, there are many things you don't want to use a touch interface for. You want a solid permanent physical control in front of you that's always in the same location. Things like a Master Arming Switch, Target Lock Confirmation, the big red Fire button, etc. I'd add in basic flight controls. If I was pilot, I'm sure I'd have a huge list.

Touch interfaces are prone to miss-keys. Add in possible smoke and confusion of battle obscuring one's vision- good hard physical controls are a requirement. You should be able to do basic actions even if blind.

LCARS dependency upon touch screen only technology was one of the things about the Enterprise D that screamed starliner- unsuited to warfare or even self defense against any but minor threats.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    Do they all have the very dangerous plasma conduits? Getting killed by an exploding LCD monitor when a fly lands on it isn't the way I want to go out.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Do they all have the very dangerous plasma conduits? Getting killed by an exploding LCD monitor when a fly lands on it isn't the way I want to go out.

*Everything* has those very dangerous plasma conduits. That's why your entire crew is dead seconds after engaging in battle. Good thing we don't need them.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User

*Everything* has those very dangerous plasma conduits. That's why your entire crew is dead seconds after engaging in battle. Good thing we don't need them.

Don't use the can while flying too close to a nebula...
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2015

To be honest, there are many things you don't want to use a touch interface for. You want a solid permanent physical control in front of you that's always in the same location. Things like a Master Arming Switch, Target Lock Confirmation, the big red Fire button, etc. I'd add in basic flight controls. If I was pilot, I'm sure I'd have a huge list.

Touch interfaces are prone to miss-keys. Add in possible smoke and confusion of battle obscuring one's vision- good hard physical controls are a requirement. You should be able to do basic actions even if blind.

LCARS dependency upon touch screen only technology was one of the things about the Enterprise D that screamed starliner- unsuited to warfare or even self defense against any but minor threats.

(Note: Addressing the lack of adequate circuit breakers is the first order of business. Once that's done, we could move on to the touchscreen discussion...)

Dunno if you have an iPhone, but there are certain essential functions that are "real push button only," so I would expect such supplements to the touch interfaces.

I would add one thing about flying blind, though--while we only saw it in one episode (VOY--"Year of Hell"), the option for a tactile interface even on the touch panels existed. IRL, the prototype is already with us, though undoubtedly still needing a lot of work to bring it to mass market: http://tactustechnology.com/ Like most effective technologies that can accommodate those with disabilities, my thought is that people would very quickly discover applications for those without disabilities as well. If it were me, I would expect tactile interfaces to not only be present, but be part of standard emergency procedure, if touchscreen tech ever gained wider use.

(And of course, don't forget Space Siri... ;) )

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User

Whats an LCARS? A Lexus...CAR(s)? a definition or a pic would be nice for those who are not really savvy on the terminology ;)
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,047 Community Moderator
    Enterprise, TOS, and the TMP era before the Enterprise-A did not make use of any kind lf LCARS system. They had more buttons and switches with graphics on screens. The TMP era "LCARS" that was seen on the Ent-A, Excelsior, and Ent-B had a blue and green color scheme and seemed to be a similar format to the puh buttons. Might make more sense considering what they are replacing. "Modern" LCARS wasn't seen until TNG, and went through a few color changes going through Voyager and the TNG Movies.

Not the best examples, but this is what I found with a quick search.
    Enterprise Era
    latest?cb=20140329022422&path-prefix=answers
    Enterprise_NX_01_The_Forge_Stand_By_Mode.jpg

TOS Era
    8870596285_bfbfe3a06c_b.jpg

TMP Era (Refit Enterprise)
    14913013423_15f5620c6c_b.jpg
    TMP Era (Enterprise-A)
    maxresdefault.jpg

TNG era
    LCARS2.jpg
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    The Main Example for a LCars Forums would be UFP - https://ufplanets.com/forum.php

Problem I have... I cannot navigate their website under any circumstances... I have to use the Mobile App to view it.

I vote Enterprise or Axanar.
    11390290_786965764751282_6513850696528108792_n.jpg?oh=c3518d8aeccc1574f321fb6b5ced155a&oe=562AF4DF
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    No, I would not support any LARS type forums. I prefer simple forums that load quickly with less distractions.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options

sorry, i forgot to add that. Dx

• Options
    dabelgrave wrote: »
    I don't want any LCARS theme on here. Every one I've seen being used on other websites has been extremely busy, hard to navigate, and generally looked poorly made. I'm sure it would be interesting if tastefully made, but what I've seen has left me skeptical.

;)

the reason, you don't want it is because they were poorly coded/set up and being lazy by the people.

unlike me, i actively work on my LCARS forums and improve them, making them more easier to use, user-friendly and custom-made.
    with that being said, i could say that my forums look good over time when i do add changes/fixes to them. that my fleet loves.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    You are missing the "No" option. Or at least I am.

Better CSS would be neat. Quotes more legible, better visual structuring overall. Currently I am using Stylish to load up a custom CSS that someone posted on the boards, I've forgotten who. I'd prefer to not need that.

Good search and a dev tracker are really important.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
This discussion has been closed.