What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TRIBBLE Klingons

Comments

• Options
    simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yes the isle have need around a lot longer, but the government has changed.
    320x240.jpg
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    qziqza wrote: »
    the British Isles have been around since 382bc, and we took the word from the french.

I didn't realize Queen Elizabeth II had been around THAT long... 😂
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Actually he's right, the word itself has been around for over 800 years. No country has existed that long.
    The Althing of Iceland might dispute that claim a bit...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    The Althing of Iceland might dispute that claim a bit...

Your point? The English word has existed 800 years or so, but it came from Latin which came from something else etc.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Your point? The English word has existed 800 years or so, but it came from Latin which came from something else etc.
    My point is that the Althing was founded just under 1100 years ago - rather longer than the 800 years you claim. Therefore, your point is void, completely aside from the logical fallacy you commit in the first place.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    withdrawn.. others are arguing my thought with better clarity.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    simeion1 wrote: »
    and if you look at any of the old religions you see it has a common concept of one man and one women.

You clearly never looked at any of those old religious laws or you'd seen all the stuff about one man-many women, or men and slaves. Or even other cultures (I know right?) where you could marry two males, sanctioned by gods no less.
    Actually he's right, the word itself has been around for over 800 years. No country has existed that long.

No country had existed from 800 years to now? Really, you wanna go google that?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    My point is that the Althing was founded just under 1100 years ago - rather longer than the 800 years you claim. Therefore, your point is void, completely aside from the logical fallacy you commit in the first place.

Your logical fallacy is in assuming some Eskimos learning how to vote 1100 years ago has anything to do with the current arguments, because it doesn't. Historians can trace it marriage rituals back for millennia, it had nothing to do with a government.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Historians can trace it marriage rituals back for millennia, it had nothing to do with a government.

Well, that depends on how you define the term "government". Because in it's most basic sense, it simply means one guy in charge of another guy. And as long as people have existed, there has been some form of tribal order, even if it was the priest who was in charge. That would actually be a "theocracy", which is a government run by the church itself.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    alexhurlbutalexhurlbut Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Your logical fallacy is in assuming some Eskimos learning how to vote 1100 years ago has anything to do with the current arguments, because it doesn't. Historians can trace it marriage rituals back for millennia, it had nothing to do with a government.
    Eskimos? You're calling the people of Iceland who came from Scandinavia eskimos?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Historians can trace it marriage rituals back for millennia, it had nothing to do with a government.

indeed the ritual far far predates the word.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Eskimos? You're calling the people of Iceland who came from Scandinavia eskimos?

If you live on an icecube your an Eskimo.

Isn't stereotyping fun!?! :D
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The problem with making absolute statements is that there are almost always exceptions. And I have no doubt that at some places, at some points in history, a certificate that may have been given to a couple from their local Church and not the state itself may have been enough to do legal business with. That is obviously not the case now(at least where I live), but you specifically said "has always been", so that is why making absolute statements like that is a flawed way to make your point.

Sure, I'll give you that. The statement was a rhetorical thing, not a profound point of formal logic.
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Let's go ahead and give a real-life example: In Turkey, laws are currently being passed that allow couples to perform the nikah, or religious marriage in stead of the secular,state-sponsored marriage. In Yemen, Afghanistan, Pakistan, some areas of central Asia, this is common practice.

Marriage was not always (and is not always now) a secular, state-sponsored ceremony, not by a longshot. Marriage existed well before the modern state. Marriage has, however, become a secular, state-governed ordeal in most countries, and by doing that, has allowed the definition of marriage to expand from the religious limitations imposed on it. It doesn't matter when state-sanctioned marriages began, and the history is irrelevant; what matters is that there is a system in place that has the capacity to see marriage as something more than an archaic religious coupling.

Yes, but the state, or perhaps more appropriately the prevailing government, sanctioned every one of your examples. Marriage is about property, wealth and lineage - at least in the eyes of the law. Even down to tribal governance there needs to be a community endorsement or at least tacit acceptance of a marriage for it to be valid in the society.

Now which came first, government or religion... I'd argue government since a family, being the most basic unit of society, would need structure prior to any spiritual concerns. But I'm not married to the idea [da-dum-dum].
  • Options
    edited May 2015

you wouldn't called it icecube if you actually learn more about Iceland. Volcanic, green summers( however brief they may be), hot springs.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

You're.

Isn't grammar fun?

:D :P
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Well, that depends on how you define the term "government". Because in it's most basic sense, it simply means one guy in charge of another guy. And as long as people have existed, there has been some form of tribal order, even if it was the priest who was in charge. That would actually be a "theocracy", which is a government run by the church itself.

lol, that's just sophistry :) i think we can assume for the sake of this argument we are talking about formalized government, or maybe centralized? and their interest in marriages (births and deaths) is a process of census. the church taking control of the marriage process would mean that all marriages would be reported to the centralized body (government/monarchy/Tzar) and allow provision for taxes to be raised and levied etc.

@artan42.. lol wrote this then read yours
    tYld1gu.gif?1
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    lol, that's just sophistry :) i think we can assume for the sake of this argument we are talking about formalized government, or maybe centralized? and their interest in marriages (births and deaths) is a process of consensus.

And taxes, formalised government leads to a lot of taxes :(.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    edited May 2015
    lol, that's just sophistry :) i think we can assume for the sake of this argument we are talking about formalized government, or maybe centralized? and their interest in marriages (births and deaths) is a process of consensus.

How big does your tribe have to be before it's "formalized" or "centralized"? And if the strongest guy is in charge, how is that a consensus?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »
    That line alone tells me you should probably get out of this thread.

So, serious question, is "lezzys" like the N word now? Im pro ATTRACTIVE lesbians for TRIBBLE purposes. :D
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So... what is the actual line in the mission that confirms the two Klingon women are a couple?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    How big does your tribe have to be before it's "formalized" or "centralized"? And if the strongest guy is in charge, how is that a consensus?
    If the people aren't rebelling against the strongest guy, it's more or less accepted even if it's by force.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    thay8472 wrote: »
    So... what is the actual line in the mission that confirms the two Klingon women are a couple?

'Mate'.

Interpret how we will.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    artan42 wrote: »
    You clearly never looked at any of those old religious laws or you'd seen all the stuff about one man-many women, or men and slaves. Or even other cultures (I know right?) where you could marry two males, sanctioned by gods no less.

Shellfish is an abomination in the bible and is forbidden to be consumed. And if you consume it, you'll end up in a dead shellfish hell after you die.... But no one ever talks about it because people love crab and lobster.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    'Mate'.

Interpret how we will.

http://i.imgur.com/9tQNq8h.jpg

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015

sorry auto corrected census to concensus.. i meant formalized to the point of gathering data and keeping centralized records
    tYld1gu.gif?1
  • Options
    simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    'Mate'.

Interpret how we will.

Job job "MATE"!

sorry I had to.
    320x240.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    'Mate'.

Interpret how we will.
    By other instances in which klingons have used the word and the context it was used in. By the show, it is taken to mean a lover or life companion.
This discussion has been closed.