test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TRIBBLE Klingons

velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
Though it was nice to see the story writers of STO embracing diversity with the various species of the Star Trek universe, I found the two Klingon lesbians in House Pegh to be stretch of Klingon culture. As far as I can recall, female Klingons have never been portrayed to encompass a TRIBBLE lifestyle even though we do see the two Duras sisters with each other throughout the TNG era. That's not to say that it shouldn't be there, but some back story regarding these two would have been nice. Also, placing the concept of TRIBBLE Klingons in a story about Kahless' secret organization and the mission to infiltrate the Iconian base felt a bit out of place. If anything, these two female Klingons should have had a bigger role to give more relevance to their "love" story.

As for the characters, I feel that there really wasn't a need to make one a "butch" TRIBBLE and the other a "lipstick" TRIBBLE. As far as female warriors go (as seen in the TNG episode where Commander Riker stays on Klingon ship), they tend to be Klingon--neither "butch" nor "lipstick". I feel that the "butch" character should have had more dialog and less grunts.

It would be nice if the writers would revisit these two characters so that we can get to know them and the reason for choosing each other as mates, if for no other reason than to see how Klingon culture deals with those individuals who embrace same-sex orientation.

In the future, I would like to see sexual orientations match closer to those species that are more likely to express them such as Humans, Trills, Betazoids, etc.. Also, I would hope that the writers would avoid stereotypical characteristics of people with diverse sexual orientations and bring out characters that players can relate to not just because of sexual orientation but because they are developed characters that bring the story to life.

Though House Pegh was a better way of incorporating characters with same-sex orientation than Jensen lusting have the male dancer in The Undying mission on Nimbus III, future episodes need to have that Star Trek feel to them as not to trivialize the diversity of sexual orientation.
18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    TRIBBLE Klingons?

My life is complete... <3
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Klingon sex always seems like something done "to you" rather than with you in Star Trek.

So I don't know.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well, I told my fleet there'd be someone nagging about it! Glad I didn't tell a lie :P
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    velqua wrote: »
    Though it was nice to see the story writers of STO embracing diversity with the various species of the Star Trek universe, I found the two Klingon lesbians in House Pegh to be stretch of Klingon culture. As far as I can recall, female Klingons have never been portrayed to encompass a TRIBBLE lifestyle even though we do see the two Duras sisters with each other throughout the TNG era. That's not to say that it shouldn't be there, but some back story regarding these two would have been nice. Also, placing the concept of TRIBBLE Klingons in a story about Kahless' secret organization and the mission to infiltrate the Iconian base felt a bit out of place. If anything, these two female Klingons should have had a bigger role to give more relevance to their "love" story.

As for the characters, I feel that there really wasn't a need to make one a "butch" TRIBBLE and the other a "lipstick" TRIBBLE. As far as female warriors go (as seen in the TNG episode where Commander Riker stays on Klingon ship), they tend to be Klingon--neither "butch" nor "lipstick". I feel that the "butch" character should have had more dialog and less grunts.

It would be nice if the writers would revisit these two characters so that we can get to know them and the reason for choosing each other as mates, if for no other reason than to see how Klingon culture deals with those individuals who embrace same-sex orientation.

In the future, I would like to see sexual orientations match closer to those species that are more likely to express them such as Humans, Trills, Betazoids, etc.. Also, I would hope that the writers would avoid stereotypical characteristics of people with diverse sexual orientations and bring out characters that players can relate to not just because of sexual orientation but because they are developed characters that bring the story to life.

Though House Pegh was a better way of incorporating characters with same-sex orientation than Jensen lusting have the male dancer in The Undying mission on Nimbus III, future episodes need to have that Star Trek feel to them as not to trivialize the diversity of sexual orientation.

Or LGBT individuals could be just people, and not have all stories involving us and our relationships have to be tales about how difficult it is to be LGBT in this cruel and unpleasant universe.

Because that's what I want, and what I got out of that couple.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm so glad STO has so few problems with it that we can devote so much player energy to the outrage over the sexual preference of NPCs, and the outrage over the players who outrage over it.

Truly, we have our priorities in order.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    I'm so glad STO has so few problems with it that we can devote so much player energy to the outrage over the sexual preference of NPCs, and the outrage over the players who outrage over it.

while I agree the time taken raging over it is time wasted it's a hot topic that people have strong views over whether it's good or bad views.

Guess what I'm saying is its not a topic that brought up wouldn't expel energy and fireworks of some sort.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    alexhurlbutalexhurlbut Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Wasn't the "outrage" about how "klingon" same sex relationship should be depicted? That the "outrage" was about how it's catering to sterotypes too closely?
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited May 2015

I am actually not outraged. I feel that if you are going to introduce something new to a culture that has had no previous mentioning, you need to give more information (story). I am totally fine with TRIBBLE or TRIBBLE Klingons. Since this topic hasn't been discussed in the Star Trek universe with regards to Klingons, I would like see how Klingon culture deals with this. Perhaps Klingons don't care, and it is very acceptable to them. Having that information shown in the story is helpful. The officer mentioning the one choosing the other as a mate didn't really say much about their point of view on the topic. Having Kahless saying something like he was happy to see the two finding each other like he did with his love in his former life would have given that point of view of Klingon culture.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Personally I feel it was rather forced. It was done in such a way that it feels the whole reason we went over to the Klingon ship was to meet some Klingon Lesbians.

Frankly, I think it could have been done in a much less conspicuous way, or at least done much more tactfully, so as to not be a "Hey look, LESBIANS" moment.

Example:

In the series "The Flash" this season, there were several low-key references to Captain Singh's "husband" and it was done in such a low key manner that it felt very natural and not out of place. This culminated in the episode where we met Singh's "husband" when Singh was in the hospital injured, and the writers then used that moment for a teachable lesson about rights in regards to medical care.

That was very well done.

"House Pegh" wasn't. (at least in my opinion)

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Guys, TRIBBLE Klingons are so unrealistic.

*goes back to playing Orion woman who wears a metal bikini all day, every day, to impress men*

I still love Orions
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The outrage was directed at bad writing?

Meh.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Honestly, why is it a big deal about a TRIBBLE Klingon couple? I noticed that on my first play through and didn't think anything of it. They are just another couple.

So, please give REAL FACTUAL reasons why they, the TRIBBLE Klingon couple, should be a big deal.

True tekkies shouldn't give a damn about someone's sexual preference. If they do, then they are not embracing Rodenberry's ideas.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    chalpen wrote: »
    The outrage was directed at bad writing?

Meh.

Nah, plenty of people in the other thread are worried about evil liberal agendas forcing their corrupt ideas into their children's minds. Odds are, if they let their kids play this game unsupervised, then they've already rolled Orions and figured out the hidden sexy dance emote. So, whatever.
    dragnridr wrote: »
    Honestly, why is it a big deal about a TRIBBLE Klingon couple? I noticed that on my first play through and didn't think anything of it. They are just another couple.

Other people are convinced that it has to be "low key" for some reason (why?), or it detracts from the story somehow (how?), or that the story should be entirely about these two people we barely know being TRIBBLE at each other (because reasons).
  • Options
    alexhurlbutalexhurlbut Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Other people are convinced that it has to be "low key" for some reason (why?), or it detracts from the story somehow (how?), or that the story should be entirely about these two people we barely know being TRIBBLE at each other (because reasons).
    Going back to what I remember, I agreed with the OP that 1) we need to know them a little more and 2) that it wasn't needed to depict one as "lipstick" and the other as "butch"(a rather bit overdone) which describe their dailogues perfectly when you talk to them for the first time.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Going back to what I remember, I agreed with the OP that 1) we need to know them a little more and 2) that it wasn't needed to depict one as "lipstick" and the other as "butch"(a rather bit overdone) which describe their dailogues perfectly when you talk to them for the first time.

I didn't see that at all. One was protective of the other, that's all. You could have replaced the word "mate" with "sister" and it'd be the same thing.
  • Options
    simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well I can see this either being moved to Ten Forward because of the topics that it brings of closed because of flaming that will start. I wish people would live and let live. While I agree with the OP that the stero typical human TRIBBLE personalities would not completely cross over to another race. Specially one where the woman initiates mating with biting of the face. I just don't think this is appropriate material for a game that can have younger teens playing. Some parents might not what to have to explain this to there children.
    320x240.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    The idea of same-sex relationships with klingons is not that far-fetched. If you want to interpret the Klingons as originally envisioned as warriors from the far east (only in space), which is true... then you really need only look at our own ancient history.

The Japanese samurai had shudō, a close, intimate relationship between an adult samurai male as the nenja and the younger apprentice as the wakashū.

Chinese emperors and other military and government officials were known to have same-sex relationships with their assistants in the Han, Tang, and Song Dynasties. Like Japan, there was really nothing unusual about it.

Given the bonds of companionship in Klingon culture, and strong sense of family presence, even for non-blood relatives (such as the Klingon Great Houses), and the comrades-in-arms trope seen in Kor, Kang, and Koloth -- it's very clear that close friendships and blood oaths are not only commonplace in Klingon society, it's a matter of honor.

The idea of these relationships bleeding over into romantic relationships should honestly not be seen as unusual, as the trials of combat and the reality of war often bring people closer together. It is not simply a matter of sexual preference, it is a matter of trust.

Honestly, I do not see why this should have ever been an issue for anybody.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    TRIBBLE Klingons? A frak was not given.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Why does it need to be "low key" or "natural"?

Because to do otherwise defeats the purpose of doing it in the first place. The point of the struggle for equal rights (be it based on race, gender, sexual orientation, etc) is not to be put up on a pedestal, or paraded around as a statement.

The point is to be treated EQUALLY, or no differently than anyone else.

When you do something like this, and make it a spectacle to be thrown in people's faces, that isn't treating gays and lesbians the same as anyone else. Instead, it's pointing a big old spotlight on it and saying "Hey look, we got TRIBBLE people! We're socially conscience!"

If I were TRIBBLE (which I am not) I honestly would be rather offended by the way these lesbians were trotted out simply to make a statement. It's the moral equivalent of the old "token black guy" trope.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The idea of same-sex relationships with klingons is not that far-fetched. If you want to interpret the Klingons as originally envisioned as warriors from the far east (only in space), which is true... then you really need only look at our own ancient history.

The Japanese samurai had shudō, a close, intimate relationship between an adult samurai male as the nenja and the younger apprentice as the wakashū.

Chinese emperors and other military and government officials were known to have same-sex relationships with their assistants in the Han, Tang, and Song Dynasties. Like Japan, there was really nothing unusual about it.

Given the bonds of companionship in Klingon culture, and strong sense of family presence, even for non-blood relatives (such as the Klingon Great Houses), and the comrades-in-arms trope seen in Kor, Kang, and Koloth -- it's very clear that close friendships and blood oaths are not only commonplace in Klingon society, it's a matter of honor.

The idea of these relationships bleeding over into romantic relationships should honestly not be seen as unusual, as the trials of combat and the reality of war often bring people closer together. It is not simply a matter of sexual preference, it is a matter of trust.

^^ What M'tara said.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You know, I'm sure almost no one would have batted an eyelash if it were two Trills, given that it happened in the series.

But Klingons? Preservers forbid.

It's a bunch of pixels. And you're not even being made to watch them lezz out.

Sometimes we have to be more blunt. Greeks and Romans. Greeks and Romans and their same-sex lovers. Alexander the Great. Emperor Hadrian. Even Sophocles.

As well, several other warrior societies sometimes had such partnering, such as the Spartans and Celts.

So warrior mates of the same gender is really not all that surprising, and has existed even in ancient times.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Correct. Which is why it confuses me that you insist that this issue needs to be tip-toed around like it was something naughty.

I mean, it's not like we avoid references to heterosexuality the same way. We're all about to go on a month-long vacation to the Planet of Casual Sex. There's an entire race of supermodel-hot bikini women. There's a mission revolving around selling a holographic sex slave.

They wanted to introduce some characters to be in House Pegh. Two of them were put in a relationship to flesh them out a tiny bit. That's not a "statement" if you don't consider the genders of the people involved. Having them chant TRIBBLE Pride slogans or making the mission about them would have been tokenism; this is just acknowledgement.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    What are you on about? It seemed pretty doggone low-key to me - I mean, nobody was saying, "Hey, look out for B'Elen the TRIBBLE, her TRIBBLE lover will kick your butt in a really butch fashion!" It was presented as "B'Elen's mate is very protective," and indeed she was. What's the big deal?

On the other hand...
    dragnridr wrote: »
    True tekkies shouldn't give a damn about someone's sexual preference. If they do, then they are not embracing Rodenberry's ideas.
    This is the same Gene who couldn't bring himself to even acknowledge the possibility of same-sex relationships in Trek at all? (Read David Gerrold's saga of the would-be TNG episode "A Fire In the Blood" sometime.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Sometimes we have to be more blunt. Greeks and Romans. Greeks and Romans and their same-sex lovers. Alexander the Great. Emperor Hadrian. Even Sophocles.

As well, several other warrior societies sometimes had such partnering, such as the Spartans and Celts.

So warrior mates of the same gender is really not all that surprising, and has existed even in ancient times.

I would have mentioned that, but people are wanting some kind of precedent in Klingon society. Since Star Trek heavily used allegories and metaphors in the series to address real world issues, I related the Klingons to their closest real world allegory. Greece and Rome are more middle-east than far east, but your point is still very much valid.

Klingons are warriors. The ability to entrust your life in the hands of another person in the face of bloody conflict is something that has been shown on-screen in Star Trek, and in our ancient history from which the Klingons are heavily influenced by.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Sounds like much ado about nothing to me. But not unwelcome to this player. A Klingon who so happens to be a TRIBBLE isn't new to Star Trek. Nothing broadcast, of course. Such a character exists within the Vanguard series of Star Trek novels. She was involved with a Vulcan, who also happened to be a TRIBBLE. Handled very well by series authors.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    davideightdavideight Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    wow i didnt even realize that. how did you all know they are lesbians? i mean did i miss a scene ? i mean i tend to skip them, so maybe i missed sth ...

and on the other part: wtf isnt this totally wayne by now? (unles you are living in the bush or some otherwise left-behin-culture) its kind of ... nagging to have these discussions all around. i bet most people dont even disagree with lesbians, gays, ts whatever, they just feel nagged by the constant attention creep and complaining.

cant you just be happy that there IS a TRIBBLE klingon couple?

it seems its always about complaining. if games only cater heteronormative, you complain, then they make hs-couples, you complain as well, because its not the way "you want them to be shown". so wtf? i mean most couples on tv dont fit the real world. i didnt see anyone having a cinderella live, or kissing frogs or wtf.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Equality, acceptance and emancipation are reached when people don't pay specific attention to someone's sexual preference.

And that's what happened in this episode IMO. They didn't pay too much attention to it. The Klingon that explained the mission just said something about one female Klingon and her 'mate'. The word 'TRIBBLE' wasn't even used. It was one line, indicating they're a couple. How else could he have said it? "Be careful, her sister is quite protective"? Clearly they're not sisters, they're a couple so it has to be mentioned once since you don't know these people.

If they hadn't mentioned it, you would have been facing the grumpy Klingon while you wanted to talk to the other one and they'd still have to mention it/explain the situation. Which would've meant that much more attention was paid to this non-issue.

As for the stereotype thing: they could've chosen two 'typically female lesbians' whatever that would've looked like, but then people would be complaining about that.

I feel they handled this well. It was mentioned once because you didn't know these people, no drama was involved, then you proceeded with the mission. That's the best way to deal with the issue of LGBT emancipation: do it subtle, don't give special attention to it if it has nothing to do with the story/situation/moment. Just like there would be no reason to mention several times that a male and a female Klingon are a couple, there wouldn't be any reason to do that when there's two lesbians involved. So they didn't. I say: well done Cryptic.
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Personally I feel it was rather forced. It was done in such a way that it feels the whole reason we went over to the Klingon ship was to meet some Klingon Lesbians.

Frankly, I think it could have been done in a much less conspicuous way, or at least done much more tactfully, so as to not be a "Hey look, LESBIANS" moment.

Example:

In the series "The Flash" this season, there were several low-key references to Captain Singh's "husband" and it was done in such a low key manner that it felt very natural and not out of place. This culminated in the episode where we met Singh's "husband" when Singh was in the hospital injured, and the writers then used that moment for a teachable lesson about rights in regards to medical care.

That was very well done.

"House Pegh" wasn't. (at least in my opinion)

My opinion, as well.

It's my belief that this Episode was delayed just because of the Lesbians.
    If there were doubts about their inclusion, they should have held off just dumping their "Lesbianism" in our laps...in a rather clumsy way.

One more thing:
    The "Butch" thing was a little over the top.
    Try to stay classy, guys.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
This discussion has been closed.