What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Leveling is WAY too fast

Comments

• Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So must good gaming and good business always be mutually exclusive? Still sounds moronic to me.

Removing content = BAD.

There are few to no exceptions to this prime directive.

Putting the emphasis only on endgame also makes this, well, like every other boring MMORPG. Makes it feel like it's not really Star Trek.

Did you actually read any of the text in Divide et Imperia?

Removing bad content = GOOD.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Quality over quantity. I'd rather repeat a genuinely entertaining mission a few times for XP than have to trawl through endless generic content that bores me.

Due to the lack of real content variety in general, it's not a loss to me if your standard 'turn up, kill X, leave' missions are cut out, and if a few of them are removed and replaced with a single mission actually fun I think it's good.

The Cardassian arc still needs looking at but it's probably in the pipeline.
  • Options
    arion08arion08 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I disagree ... i hate missions, i did then once , twice ..., enough. I play a game to have fun. Repeating the same missions over and over for every new toon i make i find it tedious, boring, stupidly easy and no fun. At least after lvl 50 u can do whatever stuff u want to lvl up ... so no ty.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I disagree. Better to fix what's wrong than remove, especially when there is already a content drought according to everyone who has disagreed with me.

Bad Content > No Content

WHICH IS IT?!
    Okay, once more since it was ignored the first two times I posted it apparently.

To your first point. Divide at Imperial was simply BAD. The developers were right to remove that mission and long may it be gone. I mean running around slaughtering an entire space station because an admiral says so, then you find out your duped and then just go "oh well, stuff happens" was freaking asinine. Sometimes bad content like that that makes little sense needs to go.

Far as your second point. Wasn't ignored, it was a BAD IDEA NOBODY LIKED. Many said so. And fyi, re quoting yourself like that makes you seem pretentious.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Okay, I don't have the energy to argue about it anymore, especially since I doubt anyone working on the game even checks these threads. I'm too old for this TRIBBLE.

Yeah, that's likely true in a general way.

Of course, there's also the part where they don't currently have the resources to implement much of what you were asking for (i.e, to make the vast amount of additional content that would be needed to fill up a 1/3-speed 1-50 leveling curve), so all of this was just a discussion topic for the sake of it. There was always 0% chance that any of it would actually happen.

Realistically, you've been saying "be a different game", which isn't a thing that occurs in the 5th year of a f2p MMO. Heck, barely in a pay MMO - I think only WoW has the staff & budget to do something like Cataclysm with it's revamp of the entire low-level world & quests. So this was more of a "here's what I'd like in the next Star Trek game". Discussion for the sake of discussion.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I'd agree with that if we were getting quality. But we're getting neither quality nor quantity in the 50-59 range. Some of the 60 stuff has been good, but it does no good locked at 60. That stuff should be used to fill the content gaps in the 50-59 range.

Yes. When I say 'quality' I do mean this in STO terms, as in 'the best we'll likely get'.

And you are right. As new FE's are released perhaps they should look to reducing the level cap on previous ones, probably after the time limited loot is no longer available since it tends to be endgame stuff.
  • Options
    daciaeternadaciaeterna Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Okay, I don't have the energy to argue about it anymore, especially since I doubt anyone working on the game even checks these threads. I'm too old for this TRIBBLE.

I sure hope u are right about devs not checking this treads lol. Why ?

Step one: Geko sees the tread and thinks "what a great idea, lets do something about it"
    Step two: Geko does "something" about it, XP is spread around all missions ... almost ... now it takes x3 time to get a toon to lvl 60 ... ups ... but its spread, so its all good ...
    Step three: Players ask why, 1 month later a message from Cryptic saying " Our equalization of XP was a great success and all the players absolutely love it "

Yeah ... lets hope no one see this lol, my friends list gone from 100+ to ... 3-4 active since DR and the removal of NWS. I invested lots of time and resources in this game and now i barley manage to find players to do some damn stfs without waiting forever.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    talonxv wrote: »
    Divide at Imperial was simply BAD.

It was such garbage. It was a part of the linear story progression (and thus implicitly required) and negatively affected the STO experience for 99.999999% of players.

It straps the Stupid Ball to the player and forces them to act like the stupidest most incompetent morons in the history of Star Trek, then gives absolutely no chance of redemption because the storyline is completely dropped.

It's like it if the Klingons were forced to run away from two pudgy unarmed Ferengi, then had to grovel and beg for their lives when set up to be caught, and end up wearing a frilly pink dress performing I'm A Little Teapot.

Divide et Imperia is a piece of **** that should be scoured from existence and memory. :mad:
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    darkjeff wrote: »
    It straps the Stupid Ball to the player and forces them to act like the stupidest most incompetent morons in the history of Star Trek, then gives absolutely no chance of redemption because the storyline is completely dropped.

My first captain to hit that mission, with me not even thinking of the Undine, still had me thinking quite quickly that the Admiral was a shapechanger and this was a ploy to reveal her. Then wondering how far they were going to take it. Then wondering if I'm the only one that suspects Admiral Genocidey. Then wondering what the aftermath is going to be. Then realizing there is no aftermath. That's when Divide et Imperia took the worst mission ever crown for me. From then on in head canon those missions were from a bad holonovel.
  • Options
    agentdunnagentdunn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm too old for this TRIBBLE.

If you're too old for this TRIBBLE why did you bother posting an unpopular opinion in the first place? If you were expecting a rational debate over an opinion like this your obviously new to the forum
  • Options
    grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    in my opinion its more that leveling speed is so inconsistant in this game and the first 50 levels feel totaly pointless especuly trying to gear up in the first 50 levels cause you go through them so quickly it feels like im wasting EC/dill, if the entire games leveling felt more consistant and more of a curve than hit 50 then meet brick wall, it should feel easy first few levels then start to get harder and harder to level up and at least make you feel a tad better about gearing up in the earlyer levels than get some equipment then have it obsolete only a couple hours later, it kinda feels like the reason folks are always screaming there is nothing to do cause its so rediculusly easy to hit that end game content then farm like crazy till ya burn out.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So basically you should have read before posting.

After DR there was a massive flood of complaints about how difficult it was to hit 60, because awarded mission XP was insufficient to bring you to the minimum required level for the next mission, resulting in people having to find things to grind. That's not even including complaints about needing to grind another 35 points of Spec after level 60 to max out the previously maxed out characters.

Then they actually banned and rolled back a chunk of players for daring to find the most efficient way to grind, labeling it an exploit in spite of said method being explicitly pointed out back on Tribble. They ended up undoing a large amount of this.

Then we had the DOffing XP fix/nerf that turned 12 hour assignments being a viable source of XP in line with the others (ie. not a viable source of XP), leading to more complaints about leveling.

In response to the constant and ongoing complaints about this they implemented spec points as rewards, and are apparently going to do something else.

Considering that most people in the forum were level 50 for ages before DR hit, and you're only in the Cardassian arc, your opinion against consensus on a highly controversial issue is not going to be regarded as an informed opinion regardless of whatever geek cred you claim.
  • Options
    ashlotteashlotte Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    takeguru wrote: »
    This is bait, right?

Going from 50-60 is some of the slowest leveling I've seen in an MMO to date.

And you want to halve that?

You haven't ever played Perfect World have you? No, no, you haven't...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    "
    So why'd they do that? Sounds like another dumb decision on their part. It sounds like they really are incompetent and that all the players can do is suck it up and play what they give us. They don't listen to players apparently (especially if this Geko would look at my suggestion and make it takes three times longer to get to 60 when my suggestion kept the XP needed for 60 and only spread out the existing 1.4 million better.

I guess all the game companies do this now, and it's a shame. They don't know what they're doing, clearly.
    "

What u can seem to comprehend is that since DR hit the new dev direction is to use any reasonable idea that players give regarding game progression and resources to do a nerf, then say everything is fine and all players love it.
    Wow ... so all my friends ware dumb and incompetent ... hmmm ... maybe but even so way better that a drama queen. Lol just how arrogant can u be to insult lots of people what u did not even began to know ?. U are here only for your big ego, miss drama queen ...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    They've already done that for some DR missions. I am sure they are aware of the usefulness of that approach.

Of course, I'd still want to be able to try all the spec trees, which the current spec point cost forbids.

*shudder* spec points. Never really got into them for precisely that reason. If normal levelling is slow that slog is practically going in reverse.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    So you disagree with me that removing NWS was incompetent? Because based on what I know, it was a cool challenge scenario.

You mean Always Win Scenario? It hasn't been No Win Scenario for a long time.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    So you disagree with me that removing NWS was incompetent? Because based on what I know, it was a cool challenge scenario. Also, since when were Cryptic employees your friends? Oh, and what you're saying right now contradicts nearly everyone else in the thread. Are you trolling me or something? Any which way, I'm reasonably sure that over 50% of the people playing this game could do better at making it than Cryptic based on what I've seen and heard now.

Lol sorry i need my glasses, when i read that i understood u mean my friends but u meant the devs, lol. No more reading in the morning until i get my coffee.
  • Options
    gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    How did a thread about the pre-level 50 leveling curve get so big?

I will say this to the post-level 60 leveling, once you have a couple of filled out trees leveling gets much easier with your increased abilities. At least that's been my observation.