test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Retiring Lohlunat Pearls

Comments

• shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I mean the comment only as a clarification for knowledge's sake.

AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!

Also 25% red lasers and 25% blue lasers.
  • neogabi1neogabi1 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!

Violence is the other half.

Sometimes Taco is the third half. =P
    Team Fencebane - All Adventure, No Direction!
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Also 25% red lasers and 25% blue lasers.

Indeed it is.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    takeguru wrote: »
    I don't want a shinier ship, I want the carrier.

Is it that hard to understand

Due to established precedent, I was under the assumption that despite missing the back half of both summer events and completely missing the latest winter event, I'd be able to get those ships

There is precedent on both sides, which makes the issue muddy and annoying. For example, the event boffs from crystal catastrophe and mirror invasion, never returned. The anniversary ships, never returned but some (not the kobali) made it into the game via other methods.

Winter event and summer event accolades and anniversary party horns/poppers never returned.

So there's some things that could be gotten in later years and some that could not. The anniversary ships were a no the last few years the winter and summer ships were a yes. But that doesn't mean they always would be. If anything, this is the second change, not the first. The first removal was the kobali samsar which isn't going into the lobi or ship vendor.

I wish there was clear precedent. But like many things cryptic is constantly changing.
    Cryptic is bending people like me over the barrel and offering a paltry consolation prize in recompense.
    I'm not happy, and I won't be happy, until I can get the ships I put as much effort as I could into getting
    If your happiness is so limited that you have no other possible source, well, to quote the princess bride "get used to disappointment". Because, not just here, but in life extremism like that will only leave you frustrated.
  • giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No one typed that the Risian ships and their special consoles are being retired, as in no longer available in the game, just that they will no longer be available during the Summer Event. Nothing has been announced as to whether they will be available in the Lobi Store or whatever. We can only speculate on the bases that exclusivity has not generally been the policy in the long term (but there are recent notable exceptions), and devs spending time on disposable ships is not really financially solvent, so we could logically predict cyclical hype-mongery to bolster future event participation. Ergo, etc. Think, men! Think! And patience is a virtue.

Also, absolute and relative exclusivity diversifies the game. This is a good and fun thing, imho.
    Greenbird
  • nobody0806nobody0806 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    takeguru wrote: »
    So, just playing Devil's Advocate or are you honestly supporting this decision

And you do have a say in how the game runs.

Ever hear the term "speak with your wallet"

Well, there you go.

1 person won't change a decision like this, but as can be evidenced by this very thread, enough people start complaining and stuff will happen.

I won't stop complaining until I get what I want out of this, and I urge others to do the same.
    I like STO, truly, but recent decisions are making it hard to continue to do so.

Indeed Enough Complaints DID Change Something to a better Direction, so saying that we have no say in how the Game Runs is NONSENSE, they make a "PRODUCT" we use that "PRODUCT" and Some /Many / whatever Pay with their "WALLET" for that "PRODUCT" now if that Company Ruins their Product or make it Worse than the Customer STOP Paying with their Wallet, and i dont think Loosing the Money is what Cryptic is Planing? A Company is making a Product for their CUSTOMERS not for themsellfs, so yea WE are the one who they should listen to, if they Want our Dollars and Euros, Basic Economy anyone? If i like the Product i will Spend Money on it, if i dont like it i will NOT Spend Money on it, and right now i dont like what they do with the Product.

Iam on the Side of the People who had no Chance to get the Event Ships, the Newcommer, the People who had not enough Time and so on, even so iam on the Safe Side since i allready have all Ships, i will Keep Complaining for those People until they Change their Mind and see that, what they are going to do is ***WRONG***

I Really dont want to be unthankfull, i do appreciate the Account Wide Unlock for us People who have the Ships allready, BUT i want you to be Fair to the Rest of your Community too!:mad:
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    An abrasive tone through text can easily turn into comments that are inciting.

Saying things like

does nothing but add antagonistic sideline comments that further derail the conversation from civility. That's the explanation.

So basically you will turn a compliment towards another person into flaming them lol.
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So basically you will turn a compliment towards another person into flaming them lol.
    ... I swear some ppl's heads here are so empty , they start to wag their collective tails when someone (anyone) pats them on the head ...

This is not a compliment.
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    nobody0806 wrote: »
    I Really dont want to be unthankfull, i do appreciate the Account Wide Unlock for us People who have the Ships allready, BUT i want you to be Fair to the Rest of your Community too!:mad:

Indeed, I also have both past Summer ships and believe that the projects should remain available for new players.

Restricting newbies from getting shinies is bad since it takes away one more reason for the new player to stick around, and players that leave don't buy anything, which means less $$ for Cryptic.

I don't believe that the few minutes required to alter the currency input for the projects would outweigh the potential benefits of enticing newer players to stick around and eventually buy stuff, would it?
  • conundrum129conundrum129 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    There has been a lot of discussion, speculation, and general debate with the decision to adjust the way Summer Event ship currency is earned. This wasn’t a decision we came to lightly, but it was one that we needed to make to maintain the integrity of this event and these ships. I’m going to take a moment to give some history on these sorts of events, why we made this decision, and what we plan to do moving forward.

Our seasonal events came to pass as a way to give you something fun to play that doesn’t fall strictly in line with our standard gameplay, while also giving out a rare and powerful reward for doing so. We decided, as most of you would, that the most desirable reward we could give out is a ship and a system was designed to give you access to that ship. Over a specific period of time you’re asked to log in and play a short mission for about 55% of that time in order to earn a near lock box quality ship. This ship was earned per character and each character on your account had to turn in the same amount of currency to earn the ship. The ship wasn’t only powerful, but was a status symbol for someone that was there when the event ran. After a couple of years of participating in this system the general feedback from the community was that this was too tedious and far too much of a commitment for people with multiple alts that wanted the ship. This led us to have some internal discussions and make a change.

About a year ago we changed the system so that all you had to do was earn the ship on a single character on your account, and then every alt you had that could slot the ship project only had to turn in a single day’s worth of currency in order to get the ship. We were happy to make this change, and were even happier at how well it was received by the community. It meant everyone got their ships and didn’t have to get completely burned out on the daily mission to earn the currency. For a time, this was a great setup and both dev and player got what they wanted.

Over the last couple of seasonal events we noticed a trend that was different than we had seen in the past. General participation on the event was dropping, but the number of ships being collected was staying the same. Somehow people were playing less and still earning the ships from these events; we started digging into the numbers to figure this out. We initially assumed people were using the Lobi bypass option to speed their way through the events, but after digging deeper into the numbers that wasn’t the case either. It turned out the change we made to make earning the ships more alt friendly had completely trivialized play of the events. Players could earn currency on all of their alts in one year, and then spend the currency from a single character every year to get the ship immediately. While some few players would then re-run the event on the character that spent their currency, the vast majority wouldn’t. Again, this meant participation was down while rewards were still earned at the same rate.

I’ve written all of this to explain how we’ve gotten to where we are today, a new currency for every ship every year. This ensured that each year the players that participate in the event will earn the reward for that year, while still allowing alts to earn the ships after a single play of the event. We knew that shipping the alt friendly system as it was is our mistake, and we wanted to ensure that impacted players weren’t left with nothing. We created a variety of desirable rewards that would let players turn in their pearls and feel like they got something valuable or unique for them. While this satisfied me in the short term, after reading all of your feedback I want to take this a step further.

We will be making every event ship you’ve ever earned and every event ship moving forward total account unlocks. As soon as one character on your account owns a ship, every single other character on your account that exists now or you will ever create will have immediate access to any event ship you’ve earned. There will be no need for your alts to play the event mission, no hoops to fly through other than picking up the ship from a store. Hopefully taking this extra step will address any lingering concerns you have with the overall change. Thanks for reading this far, and I look forward to seeing you on Risa soon!

I appreciate the work you and the rest of the STO team has done but if I may make a small suggestion maybe to give people a chance to get the older ships make them available for say 500 of the new currency this year and starting next year make the ship from the pervious year available for 500 of that year's currency after they have earned that years ship. That would give people an extra chance to get a ship if they barely missed it the previous year but they still have to earn it.
    edited May 2015
    orion0029 wrote: »
    Indeed, I also have both past Summer ships and believe that the projects should remain available for new players.

Restricting newbies from getting shinies is bad since it takes away one more reason for the new player to stick around, and players that leave don't buy anything, which means less $$ for Cryptic.

I don't believe that the few minutes required to alter the currency input for the projects would outweigh the potential benefits of enticing newer players to stick around and eventually buy stuff, would it?

Absolutely Agree, they did the Change with the Account Wide Unlock, so Changing their Decision and Just making the Old Ships Avaible for Old + New Currency (so People who have Slotted it allready can Finish it or have the Pearls can get them, if Neccesary Fill up the Rest of with the New Currency) New Players could Farm the New Currency and get Whatever Ship (or all 3 = WAY more Spend Time on the Event) they want, the New Ship Should be only Obtainable with the New Currency that Eliminates their Displeasure that People can get it on Day 1 with the old Currency, = FRIGGIN WIN WIN for EVERYONE, yea Some People will still Complain that they cant use their Old Currency to get the New ship....i dont like that either but the one MAJOR Issue Left here is that those 2 Old Ships will be Retired, and thats NOT OK.

Seriously Cryptic there are more than enough Suggestions what you COULD and SHOULD do including my Suggestion above. You have been Nice to the Veterans (well Most at least the ones who allready have those Ships) HALF WAY DONE, now Finish that RIGHT DIRECTION, and make the Rest Happy too! Cant be that Hard can it????:confused::confused::confused:
  • m1957flaxm1957flax Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No. It's indefinite.

Nice to read, but considering the topic we are discussing here, I beg your pardon for it, but I still harbour some doubts.
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    m1957flax wrote: »
    Nice to read, but considering the topic we are discussing here, I beg your pardon for it, but I still harbour some doubts.
    It should show up as only visible to those who have pearls. The intention to have numerical trade-ins from a single pearl was probably to make sure someone didn't get stuck with pearls they couldn't trade in.

After a player has no more pearls in their inventory, the store shouldn't be visible anymore. It'll be an indefinite feature, because it wouldn't require maintenance or any foreseeable changes.
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    It should show up as only visible to those who have pearls. The intention to have numerical trade-ins from a single pearl was probably to make sure someone didn't get stuck with pearls they couldn't trade in.

That Makes Sense... I have lots of Toons that have 1-4 Pearls... Just shy of the Minimum for even the cheapest of items, just taking up space in my inventory
  • namreefnamreef Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think it would have made more sense to just give all event currencies a shelf life (like the tokens on the Voth ground battle zone for calling in reinforcements) starting at the end of this year's summer event.

Hopefully this mechanic isn't an oversight and there is a legit reason for doing it this way.
  • kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    There has been a lot of discussion, speculation, and general debate with the decision to adjust the way Summer Event ship currency is earned. This wasn’t a decision we came to lightly, but it was one that we needed to make to maintain the integrity of this event and these ships. I’m going to take a moment to give some history on these sorts of events, why we made this decision, and what we plan to do moving forward.

Our seasonal events came to pass as a way to give you something fun to play that doesn’t fall strictly in line with our standard gameplay, while also giving out a rare and powerful reward for doing so. We decided, as most of you would, that the most desirable reward we could give out is a ship and a system was designed to give you access to that ship. Over a specific period of time you’re asked to log in and play a short mission for about 55% of that time in order to earn a near lock box quality ship. This ship was earned per character and each character on your account had to turn in the same amount of currency to earn the ship. The ship wasn’t only powerful, but was a status symbol for someone that was there when the event ran. After a couple of years of participating in this system the general feedback from the community was that this was too tedious and far too much of a commitment for people with multiple alts that wanted the ship. This led us to have some internal discussions and make a change.

About a year ago we changed the system so that all you had to do was earn the ship on a single character on your account, and then every alt you had that could slot the ship project only had to turn in a single day’s worth of currency in order to get the ship. We were happy to make this change, and were even happier at how well it was received by the community. It meant everyone got their ships and didn’t have to get completely burned out on the daily mission to earn the currency. For a time, this was a great setup and both dev and player got what they wanted.

Over the last couple of seasonal events we noticed a trend that was different than we had seen in the past. General participation on the event was dropping, but the number of ships being collected was staying the same. Somehow people were playing less and still earning the ships from these events; we started digging into the numbers to figure this out. We initially assumed people were using the Lobi bypass option to speed their way through the events, but after digging deeper into the numbers that wasn’t the case either. It turned out the change we made to make earning the ships more alt friendly had completely trivialized play of the events. Players could earn currency on all of their alts in one year, and then spend the currency from a single character every year to get the ship immediately. While some few players would then re-run the event on the character that spent their currency, the vast majority wouldn’t. Again, this meant participation was down while rewards were still earned at the same rate.

I’ve written all of this to explain how we’ve gotten to where we are today, a new currency for every ship every year. This ensured that each year the players that participate in the event will earn the reward for that year, while still allowing alts to earn the ships after a single play of the event. We knew that shipping the alt friendly system as it was is our mistake, and we wanted to ensure that impacted players weren’t left with nothing. We created a variety of desirable rewards that would let players turn in their pearls and feel like they got something valuable or unique for them. While this satisfied me in the short term, after reading all of your feedback I want to take this a step further.

We will be making every event ship you’ve ever earned and every event ship moving forward total account unlocks. As soon as one character on your account owns a ship, every single other character on your account that exists now or you will ever create will have immediate access to any event ship you’ve earned. There will be no need for your alts to play the event mission, no hoops to fly through other than picking up the ship from a store. Hopefully taking this extra step will address any lingering concerns you have with the overall change. Thanks for reading this far, and I look forward to seeing you on Risa soon!

Not seeing where the event ships are near lock box quality. Be that as it may, I completely support this decision to help those with numerous alts.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • picardcrusherpicardcrusher Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You warp into an instance...

There are two Federation players, a Romulan, and a KDF player.

One Fed is in a Malon Battlecruiser.
    The other Fed is in an Olaen.
    The Romulan is in a Sheshar.
    The KDF is in a Sarr Theln.

One Fed is named Capt Hairy Pants.
    The other Fed is named xXxBoBxXx.
    The Romulan is named LagMonster.
    The KDF is named IceColdNinja.

...is the Romulan giving the thumbs up emote above his or her ship really going to break the Star Trek immersion one had been feeling up to that point?

Yes.

Sector space is a nice trend towards immersion and that should not be lost to emotes. More would be good in the instances. You kind of make the point that we can't afford to sacrifice any degree of immersion.
    ;)

The ship types would be an easy fix. Just let us put whatever skin we own on whatever hull we own with crafting. I realize there are technical issues with weapon hardpoints, so a 4/4 cruiser hull could only go on another 4/4 hull and not on a 4/2 BoP. Also you would have to stay within faction. But they could bill a reasonble mount of dilithium and players would be thrilled to fly both the ship that they like the look of and the ship that has the power they want.
    :D

Nerfing is Fraud...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    namreef wrote: »
    I think it would have made more sense to just give all event currencies a shelf life (like the tokens on the Voth ground battle zone for calling in reinforcements) starting at the end of this year's summer event.

Hopefully this mechanic isn't an oversight and there is a legit reason for doing it this way.

I'm fairly certain that reason is because whiny, entitled people complained that they couldn't get the new shiny as quickly as those who had leftovers from the previous year, so they had a tantrum and threw a fit that the devs actually noticed.

Snarkiness aside, my guess is they didn't count on us actually being intelligent enough to save currency for future events and now consider it one of those debatable "exploits" that aren't exploits. It's almost like they want to suck all the fun out and increase the grindiness, but that couldn't be, right?

Oops, I guess I forgot to turn off the snark.

Hark! Thou maiden is full of snark,
    In her cupcake dress of velvet so dark.
    ~ Snarillius Von Snarkenson III
  • picardcrusherpicardcrusher Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sov42 wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain that reason is because whiny, entitled people complained that they couldn't get the new shiny as quickly as those who had leftovers from the previous year, so they had a tantrum and threw a fit that the devs actually noticed.

Snarkiness aside, my guess is they didn't count on us actually being intelligent enough to save currency for future events and now consider it one of those debatable "exploits" that aren't exploits. It's almost like they want to suck all the fun out and increase the grindiness, but that couldn't be, right?

Oops, I guess I forgot to turn off the snark.

Hark! Thou maiden is full of snark,
    In her cupcake dress of velvet so dark.
    ~ Snarillius Von Snarkenson III

Leave the snark on, because it's just true. The company seems like it is at war with FUN itself.

The stupid business model says let people play for free, but put barriers between them and the real fun so that they will pay to cross them. This inevitably reduces the fun in the player experience to a bare minimum, so that most people leave the game and only trek die hards stay. They don't seem to realize they would make more from the trek die hards if they gave them more fun and more people to play with.

:mad:
    This isn't an MMO. It's a massively single player online game. The ques are dead, pvp is dead, and you can't group with your friends to do patrols because the DEVS call it an exploit. Just ludicrous.

PWE is where this comes from. All their games seem to be about expecting you to pay to jump past the boredom, then turning up the boredom if you are stupid enough to pay.

On second thought, I like the new changes. I'll never feel the urge to do summer or winter grinding again.

Nerfing is Fraud...
  • neostormeneostorme Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    First you change the map sector map:(. It is disorienting. Then you make it to where people who missed the previous year's rewards or have have new alts can't get the ships; not cool!
    edited May 2015
    neostorme wrote: »
    You guys are really going to make players mad, first you change the map sector map:(. Then you make it to where people who missed the previous year's rewards or have have new alts can't get the ships; this close to playing something else. :confused:

Personally, I like the new sector space.

They need to make the game more multi-player friendly again, though.

As well:

1. Get rid of patrol cooldowns. Cooldowns only increase the boredom, especially at end-game, and don't block players from teaming in a patrol.

2. Bring back diplomacy missions instead of doff dip. missions. Bring back exploration missions, too.

3. Make PVE's playable again (ie. reduce the failure rate.). It's very difficult to play these with pick up groups, and it could be so much better.

4. Make pvp something people might actually enjoy (with worth-while rewards) that revolves around player skill instead of gear.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    No one typed that the Risian ships and their special consoles are being retired, as in no longer available in the game, just that they will no longer be available during the Summer Event.

Except that, yes, they did:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9232203

I'll even reemphasize it here:
    Can I slot a new project for a Risian Corvette or Risian Luxury Cruiser?

No. These ships are being retired with the start of the 2015 Lohlunat Festival

Said in a slightly different way, but with the same meaning:

As of the beginning of the 2015 Summer Event, the Risian Corvette and Risian Luxury Cruiser will no longer be available to be acquired, now or in the future. Period.

This is why we must change there minds, and have these ships continue to be available with future Events. There's really no logical reason to discontinue them.

Please, Trendy, you have to convince them of this.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    edited May 2015
    Except that, yes, they did:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9232203

I'll even reemphasize it here:

Said in a slightly different way, but with the same meaning:

As of the beginning of the 2015 Summer Event, the Risian Corvette and Risian Luxury Cruiser will no longer be available to be acquired, now or in the future. Period.

This is why we must change there minds, and have these ships continue to be available with future Events. There's really no logical reason to discontinue them.

Please, Trendy, you have to convince them of this.

I wouldn't be opposed to them becoming lobi store ships.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    helgmorn wrote: »
    Originally Posted by helgmorn View Post
    3) The Alt system introduced was always an "EXPLOIT" in general STO terms, like many others that have been closed, if you could not see this coming you are

a) A new player
    b) Stupid
    c) Clueless

Irrelevant of how you see it as wrong or right, that's the simple truth, "EXPLOIT CLOSED" in STO's gameplay eyes!
    breadandcircuses;23871311
    Using systems as they are designed and promoted is generally not considered an "EXPLOIT" in game terms. For example, from promotional materials and Q&A from last year's Summer Event:

The devs basically went out of their way to tell new and returning players how to gain access to both years' ships, assuming those players were willing to put in the time. I think that's the crux of the issue, though, as far as running multiple versions of the (Seasonal) Event projects... you still had to put in the time to unlock both discounts. A long-time player would only need to do 40 races on one character, +1 per additional ship, to unlock the discount and acquire the ships. By contrast, a new or returning player would need to do 80 races to unlock the ships on two different characters, +1 per additional ship (including getting the second ship on each of the two running their respective 40 races).

I will highlight on this

3) The Alt system introduced was always an "EXPLOIT" in general STO terms, like many others that have been closed, if you could not see this coming you are

a) A new player
    b) Stupid
    c) Clueless

Irrelevant of how you see it as wrong or right, that's the simple truth, "EXPLOIT CLOSED" in STO's gameplay eyes!

This brings me on to Number 4 of my rambling post-

4) You do not have a say in how this game runs, irrelevant of how much moaning on a forum you do!

I know its sad, but thats just the way it is :( If it looks like an exploit, or too good to be true, or defeats the grind set out by STO that we have all spent immense amounts of time arguing over, you 100% know it WILL be closed!, and back to point number 4

You seem to have missed the bit where the devs actually told us how to make efficient use of the discount.

For something to be an "EXPLOIT" it has to step outside of how the system was designed to be used. To consider "The Alt system" an "EXPLOIT" would be insulting to the dev team, as it would assume that they had specifically responded to questions referencing this method to help them...
    Just to make sure I read what you posted right, crypticfrost, it's just the first-year Chel Grett? Claiming a full-price Chel Grett (or Plesh Brek or Sarr Theln for that matter) this year shouldn't give us any problems with getting the discount?

I'm running each ship on a different character to overlap the days needed to run 'The Fastest Game on Ice' for the requisite Q-pictures and I want to be sure that I'll be able to claim the Plesh Brek on the Sarr Theln character for the hanger pets without a problem...
    The problem is with those who got the ship the first year, before the Event Reputation system was in use. If you get it this year, there should be no problems.

For those with the issue, there is a fix inbound.
    ...actually do so successfully amidst bugs with the Winter ship discount mechanic.

For a dev to actually assist someone with something they consider an "EXPLOIT"... yeah, no. They are smarter than that, and to assume less of them is deeply insulting. While trying to support their actions, try not to insult their intelligence.

Or ours... ad hominem, self-quoting, or pretty colors don't actually help support your case. Many of the posters here have provided perfectly good reasons why the specific changes were bad, and salamiinferno responded with perfectly good reasons for why changes were made. The dev team responded further with a rather nice compromise in response to the feedback (and some ranting), which does address a significant part the concerns mentioned in this thread.

This is something that most of us greatly appreciate. Those changes didn't address all of our concerns, nor did they reverse anything about retiring the currency itself, yet it is clear indication that the dev team hasn't just made a decision and dialed it in. They are trying to make the new system fair and reasonable, something they deserve credit for, even as they phase out the old one. It is my own hope that the "exclusivity" concept is toned down as well, in order to give new and returning players a shot at some of the older ships; that isn't for my own sake as I already have all of the (Seasonal) Event ships, but rather for new and returning players that may have missed the opportunity in prior years.

So... thank you to the dev team for your consideration of the playerbase, and addressing the issues we've brought up. :)
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    ... Many of the posters here have provided perfectly good reasons why the specific changes were bad, and salamiinferno responded with perfectly good reasons for why changes were made. The dev team responded further with a rather nice compromise in response to the feedback (and some ranting), which does address a significant part the concerns mentioned in this thread.

This is something that most of us greatly appreciate. Those changes didn't address all of our concerns, nor did they reverse anything about retiring the currency itself, yet it is clear indication that the dev team hasn't just made a decision and dialed it in. They are trying to make the new system fair and reasonable, something they deserve credit for, even as they phase out the old one. It is my own hope that the "exclusivity" concept is toned down as well, in order to give new and returning players a shot at some of the older ships; that isn't for my own sake as I already have all of the (Seasonal) Event ships, but rather for new and returning players that may have missed the opportunity in prior years.

So... thank you to the dev team for your consideration of the playerbase, and addressing the issues we've brought up. :)

This, right here sums up my current opinions and status regarding the events, I have the Summer, Winter, and 1/2 of the Anniverasry ships (missed a couple, ah well :rolleyes:), so even if the Devs stick with their original plan of retiring the Corvette and Cruiser from summer event projects it won't really affect me at all.

That said, I would like to argue against such a descision as it unfairly restricts new players from getting these older ships, while a T5 may not be what the Devs want to sell, being able to get and fly an older ship should remain an option. And ultimately, won't really deprive Cryptic of much (if any) income as all of the Summer Event ships can be obtained with just a time input. It may even make Cryptic some money if new players want to Lobi their way to buying a Corvette...

I'd also like to thank the Dev team for compromising with the players on this issue and assure them that my continued arguments do not mean that I am not grateful for their efforts. :)
    edited May 2015

Went back to read this. Good news, albeit, I wish they'd change the Winter event mission. I HATE the Q's Wonderland mission. Doing that ice race was terrible and an unimaginative rip off of City of Heroes' winter chalet ski hills. I'd rather have my teeth pulled than do that again.
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Great all these thread merged into a massive 132 page topic. Now I can't even find my comment to continue the conversation I was having.
    edited May 2015
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    Great all these thread merged into a massive 132 page topic. Now I can't even find my comment to continue the conversation I was having.

Well Gues why it has 132 Pages now? As Long as the Last Issue (Retiring Old Ships) is NOT Solved, People Including me will go on, and it will be more and more Pages....we are Gratefull for the Account Wide Unlock for Players who allready own the Old Ships, BUT we are not Sellfish, so we want Newcommer and everyone else who did not get those Ships yet also to have the Chance to do so.:rolleyes:
  • huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    but it was one that we needed to make to maintain the integrity of this event and these ships.

To claim this has anything to do with this is a complete and utter smokescreen. There is no outcry from the players about this.
    It turned out the change we made to make earning the ships more alt friendly had completely trivialized play of the events. Players could earn currency on all of their alts in one year, and then spend the currency from a single character every year to get the ship immediately. While some few players would then re-run the event on the character that spent their currency, the vast majority wouldn’t. Again, this meant participation was down while rewards were still earned at the same rate.

Your fix doesn't address this. All you had to do is retire the currency and not the ships. Then people could pick what ship they wanted to use it for.

For example, say this year you put in a carrier. Well I don't want a carrier, but I missed out on last years because I was on vacation, and I want that one. So I queue up last years ship instead.

See, currency still retired, problem in your blurb solved, and past ships still able to be earned. That simple.

But what you do, going beyond that simple fix is again a pure money grab.
    We will be making every event ship you’ve ever earned and every event ship moving forward total account unlocks.

Again that doesn't address the issue people have with this. The retiring of past ships for no reason.
  • phreskophresko Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    For the last four weeks I was thinking I would get that cruise ship for my Delta Recruit, but since I didn't participate last summer on my main I'm SOL? That really sucks.
This discussion has been closed.