Install Arc
Options

Retiring Lohlunat Pearls

Comments

• Options
    jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    phresko wrote: »
    Nope, common sense did no prevail. The ships will not be available to new players or those that did not or could not participate in past years.

Explain please
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • Options
    takegurutakeguru Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Explain please

If you haven't unlocked the ships, you can't get them on any character.

Ever.

They're being retired.
    They're gone.

New players and veterans that didn't do them can now no longer get them
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Explain please

Basically, as I understand it, anyone who's unlocked the ships previously, or has an active project that can be completed with the new currency, will be able to claim the ships for any character on their account. Anyone who hasn't started a project for one of the older ships, for whatever reason, won't be able to unlock one of those ships because those projects aren't going offered in this year's event.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    takeguru wrote: »
    If you haven't unlocked the ships, you can't get them on any character.

Ever.

They're being retired.
    They're gone.

New players and veterans that didn't do them can now no longer get them

Hmmmm. Missed that possibility.

It did feel wrong to see the light with something coming out of the nerf factory. Now I know why...
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hmmmm. Missed that possibility.

It did feel wrong to see the light with something coming out of the nerf factory. Now I know why...

As someone else suggested up-thread, a set of "Last Chance" projects using the new currency would be a good thing.
  • Options
    zdenka1970zdenka1970 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bla bla bla

go to hell ?, well something like that

wasted my time for nothing
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    As someone else suggested up-thread, a set of "Last Chance" projects using the new currency would be a good thing.

I would say forget any 'last chance' about it. Just retire the currency each year and leave the project selection the same as it was. This way if some new person wants the first year's catamaran as opposed to collecting this year's ship then he just plays enough to collect it. If he wants them all then he plays enough to claim each one individually with his alts. Sure that is a lot of runs, but he is getting 3 ships for each toon for no real world money.
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    zdenka1970 wrote: »
    go to hell ?, well something like that

wasted my time for nothing

At the risk of being labeled a 'White Knight' this kind of comment serves no purpose.

If you offered up a detailed opinion of what you'd like changed, or what you are upset with, then perhaps the Devs would actually read your comment and maybe even do something about it...

I have several times outlined in detail what my gripes are regarding the "Retiring Lohlunat Pearls" announcement and if others would actually offer suggestions opposed to 'this sucks, do better' comments we might actually see something positive happen here.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So, let me see if I can make sense out of this.

The argument is that all ships should always be available to everybody, indefinitely?

That we need to be fair to players who aren't even in the game yet? Or who are for the most part inactive players who log in once or twice a year?

I don't think that's reasonable and I don't think that's what most current players really want.

I'm not opposed to that. But I'm not really opposed to retiring promo ships, either. I've actually started throwing out promo boxes because I know they're obsolete and I'll never fly those ships.

The basic issue left on the table is that players who are in the game right now who have never claimed the ships or started the project now have no possibility of claiming them, ever.

So let me ask the question... Assuming for the moment that the ships are going to be retired permanently one way or the other and that it's Cryptic's prerogative to do that... And presuming that Cryptic does not have an interest in catering to hypothetical people who don't currently play the game...

For players who are currently in the game right now, what would be a fair solution?

Personally, I like the idea of a Last Chance event. It doesn't affect me personally, but for the sake of current players who were hoping to save up enough trinkets to get one or more of the ships, I'd support it. With a clear understanding that going forward, event rewards will be on a play-it-or-lose-it basis. Because I'd also agree that's not been clearly stated up until now and it's not previously been the case for promo ships because they've specifically allowed us to claim previous years' ships.

With the new "Earn it once, earn it always" policy, it would be entirely fair that if you don't play that future event you don't get that future reward. Especially if current customers can get grandfathered in.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »

The argument is that all ships should always be available to everybody, indefinitely?

That we need to be fair to players who aren't even in the game yet? Or who are for the most part inactive players who log in once or twice a year?

I don't think that's reasonable and I don't think that's what most current players really want.

I'm not opposed to that. But I'm not really opposed to retiring promo ships, either. I've actually started throwing out promo boxes because I know they're obsolete and I'll never fly those ships.

The basic issue left on the table is that players who are in the game right now who have never claimed the ships or started the project now have no possibility of claiming them, ever.

So let me ask the question... Assuming for the moment that the ships are going to be retired permanently one way or the other and that it's Cryptic's prerogative to do that... And presuming that Cryptic does not have an interest in catering to hypothetical people who don't currently play the game...

For players who are currently in the game right now, what would be a fair solution?

Personally, I like the idea of a Last Chance event. It doesn't affect me personally, but for the sake of current players who were hoping to save up enough trinkets to get one or more of the ships, I'd support it. With a clear understanding that going forward, event rewards will be on a play-it-or-lose-it basis. Because I'd also agree that's not been clearly stated up until now and it's not previously been the case for promo ships because they've specifically allowed us to claim previous years' ships.

With the new "Earn it once, earn it always" policy, it would be entirely fair that if you don't play that future event you don't get that future reward. Especially if current customers can get grandfathered in.

I can see your point, and If there were a 'last chance promotion' for these ships I'd take it as a 80% win, however, past event ships like the oddy/bort were made available, for a cost, after the event ended years ago and are still available, with this precident in place for years I disagree that certain ships should be permanantly retired and made unavailable for new players ever again, while other old ships are still available.

I'd actually be 99% happy if Cryptic made the 2015 summer event the last one where these ships were available through the event, then moved the ships to the Lobi store (where the 4th anniversary ship currently resides). This would give players old and new, who were caught off guard a chance to get these ships through the event and should they miss out, then the ships would still be available for a price through the Lobi Store.
  • Options
    toratareltoratarel Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    A "Last Chance Event" for the summer and i assume the upcomming winter event would be fine with me. Tho i would prefer these ships to just stay forever. I just don't see any reason to remove them.
    I would also suggest to make the Kobali ship available to everyone again. The console is too close to an essential console. I am happy i got it but i think everyone should have the possibility to get it.

Right now i am in the mindset of just voting with my wallet and take my money elsewhere. I like the space fighting in th egame and got a pretty decent ship to have fun with that.
  • Options
    nobody0806nobody0806 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Players come and go, and the ones who come, the Newcomers, should have a chance to get those Event Ships too WHILE those Events are Running, Seriously its Just ONCE per Year, i ask you WHAT exactly could be the Reason to Remove those after they were avaible all the Years before (Summer and Winter Event) what has Changed? What is so Different NOW Compared to before that they have to Remove those Fine Ships and take the chance of Future Players OR Players who just DONT have them Yet? you know they are Player who just dont have time to get 2 Ships at once and maybe would get one this Year and maybe another one Next Year? There are so many Maybes you know, fact is, does it Hurt to keep those Ships???? is there any DISadvantage by doing so? NO? Is there an Advantage / Benefit by Keeping them like it was ALWAYS the Case till now? Yes? (More Options, People who want them CAN get them, therefore Spend more Time on Risa)

Seriously no matter how hard you would think or try, you could not come up with a Logical / Reasonable Explanation why to do that UNNECESARY Move, i mean LOOK at this Thread 140 Pages now, and 95% of the Comments are ANGRY / Not Happy / Displeased People, so what i see here is YES the Majority IS against that move, and why not? WHO would have any kind of Advantage when those Ships are Removed? Why should anyone want this? If you would ask EVERY single STO Player "hey we are Planing to Remove those Ships, what do you think?" the first Question would be WHY? REMOVING something from the Game that Player could Get by Spending Time for it (Farming / Grinding) is ALWAYS bad.

MORE Stuff / More Options = GOOD
    LESS Stuff / Less Options = BAD

Logical?

So you ask what would be a Fair Solution: Ladies and Gentleman, the right answer is....

DONT REMOVE THEM, EASY AS THAT, DING DING DING DING DING Right Annswer, Problem Solved, EVERYONE is Happy, NO Flaming, NO Rage, NO PROBLEM. There is no Einstein Needed to See that.

By the way my Intention is /was not to Provoke someone or something like that. So nothing Personal against anyone.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Wall of text

What I see is this, most of the ships for the summer and winter event were 'what evs' meaning "I don't care". BUT, and this is a BIG ONE: things change. The Chel Grett is loads better than the other Breen ships, BUT the T6 bonus of the Breen carrier is nice. The love boat was TRIBBLE before the T6 ship announcement. After they announced T5U and T6 then I immediately wished that I had the love boat.

The over all lesson is that things change and that options are GOLDEN.

ALSO AND EQUALLY AS IMPORTANT: is that these ships have consoles that are part of sets. If you cannot earn a ship and therefore its console, then what the heck is the point!

The solution is simple and very easy to understand: All ships are available every year for that year's currency.

NOW, for current players who have been here THE WHOLE TIME, who cares, we probably have each ship somewhere on our accounts and can get them on each toon easily. BUT, that is not the point, the NEW players are completely out and have NO REASON to play the events as they would get nothing more than a tease of what they could have if they had the previous 3/4 years worth of ships and consoles.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    and regarding the "Last Chance this Time" or Making it a Lobi Store Ships....thats not any better.

Those are Event Ships, i also Call them "Fun Ships" cause Events are supposed to make Fun, we have Fun we earn Favor or Ornaments and buy nice Stuff for our Characters, like on a Vacation, and at the Same time as Part of that Fun we earn the Currency, to get one of the GRAND Prizes of that Vacation, one of the FUN Ships...now for NO Reason you want to Remove an ESSENTIAL Part of that Fun / The Events.......how and why should we like / agree with that???

Because of that Action more than Enough People will Spend WAY Less Time on Risa, other will Skip it Completly......DONT Take away the Fun out of those Events. There should be no more to say that this.....Seriously :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    nobody0806 wrote: »
    and regarding the "Last Chance this Time" or Making it a Lobi Store Ships....thats not any better.

Those are Event Ships, i also Call them "Fun Ships" cause Events are supposed to make Fun, we have Fun we earn Favor or Ornaments and buy nice Stuff for our Characters, like on a Vacation, and at the Same time as Part of that Fun we earn the Currency, to get one of the GRAND Prizes of that Vacation, one of the FUN Ships...now for NO Reason you want to Remove an ESSENTIAL Part of that Fun / The Events.......how and why should we like / agree with that???

Because of that Action more than Enough People will Spend WAY Less Time on Risa, other will Skip it Completly......DONT Take away the Fun out of those Events. There should be no more to say that this.....Seriously :confused::confused::confused:

Making these event ships available all the time reduces the whole meaning of them being event ships. Why would players bother to play the special content in the first place if they are obtain any one of the ships at anytime. Raise enough fuss over this and the Devs will see that providing special events like the winter or sumer events is just more of a headache then they are worth.

Events are suppose to be occasionally, rare and special. Take the rare and special out of it, and people will not spend the time to earn it.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    cidjack wrote: »
    Making these event ships available all the time reduces the whole meaning of them being event ships. Why would players bother to play the special content in the first place if they are obtain any one of the ships at anytime. Raise enough fuss over this and the Devs will see that providing special events like the winter or sumer events is just more of a headache then they are worth.

Events are suppose to be occasionally, rare and special. Take the rare and special out of it, and people will not spend the time to earn it.

Aye, making event ships available to claim year round would diminish thier 'uniqueness', however, the 4th anniversary ship (which is in the Lobi store), it is still a rare sight in-game and I doubt many people would want it enough to pay the 600 Lobi to buy it.

I said above that a 'last chance promotion' then moving them (corvette, cruiser) to the Lobi store would, in my mind, be the most equitable solution as it keeps the ships available for those willing to pay the price, while giving new players and those who thought "I'll wait 'til next year to get them" a chance to get them before they're removed from the event projects.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

I Shoulnd't be Surprised that you are one of the People who would answer me, seing how persistent you Defend those Changes.

No it does NOT Reduce the Meaning of them being event Ships since one can only Aquire them DURING Events :rolleyes: Why People would bother Play to get them.....well again cause they can be only Aquired DURING those Events????? No one is Raising Fuss or Whatever, no Idea what youre Talking about, all that People are Asking for is KEEP things the way they are, it worked for 3 Winter Events and 2 Summer Events, was there any Fuss or any Problem? No there was NOT. You say Events are Supposed to be occasionally AND THAT IS THE CASE, its still RARE and SPECIAL cause ONCE per Year got that? NOTHING is being taken out of ANYTHING (other than the fact that they wanna take out those Ships) People Enjoy the Events, BUT take a Essential Parts out of those Events now (the Ships) THAT will make People not want to Spend time on the Events anymore or atleast not more than Neccesary. So WHATS your Point????:rolleyes::rolleyes::confused:
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    orion0029 wrote: »
    Aye, making event ships available to claim year round would diminish thier 'uniqueness', however, the 4th anniversary ship (which is in the Lobi store), it is still a rare sight in-game and I doubt many people would want it enough to pay the 600 Lobi to buy it.

I said above that a 'last chance promotion' then moving them (corvette, cruiser) to the Lobi store would, in my mind, be the most equitable solution as it keeps the ships available for those willing to pay the price, while giving new players and those who thought "I'll wait 'til next year to get them" a chance to get them before they're removed from the event projects.

i dont wanna Argue with you, since we are basicaly on the "Same Side" but i still Disagree with the "Removing and making Lobi Ships" Part, and i explained why.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    i dont wanna Argue with you, since we are basicaly on the "Same Side" but i still Disagree with the "Removing and making Lobi Ships" Part, and i explained why.

Hey, Ideally I'd like them to leave the projects available for everyone during the events. But realistically we (players) will likely have to compromise with the developers as they want these ships to be 'exclusive' (whatever they mean by that), so 'last chance promotion' then Lobi store would be an appropriate compromise, though not entirely optimal for players...
  • Options
    takegurutakeguru Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2015

That's what I'm hoping for.

I missed the summer event last year, where I would have gotten the 2 ships, due to moving across the country.

I missed the winter event as well, and if this carries over to that, I'm SoL on the carrier, which is the one event ship I actually want.

The fact that they announced the retiring of the established currency mere weeks before it was set to be used again is the thing that ticked me off about this.

A last chance thing during this summer AND hopefully winter, would go a long way towards rectifying the mistake they made by waiting so long to announce it.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    orion0029 wrote: »
    Hey, Ideally I'd like them to leave the projects available for everyone during the events. But realistically we (players) will likely have to compromise with the developers as they want these ships to be 'exclusive' (whatever they mean by that), so 'last chance promotion' then Lobi store would be an appropriate compromise, though not entirely optimal for players...

And thats the Funny thing...THEY (Developer) want those Ships to be "Exclusive" to the Players who allready own them but.....WE (The Players / Players who allready have them AND also Players who DONT have them) DONT wannt those Ships to be Exclusive to us, HELL i have ALL of them, but I GIVE a TRIBBLE about them to be Excusive to ME / US, they want something for US that WE dont want??????

"A) Here take an Apple Boy B) No thank you Sir A) TAKE THE DAMN APPLE! B) But Sir i really dont want it A) YOU WILL TAKE THAT APPLE NOW CAUSE I SAY ITS GOOD FOR YOU!!!!"

Know what i mean? They think its a good thing....but we dont, thats why iam Protesting here, to show them how DISSPLEASED we (The Majority) are about their Decision, The Overhelmingly Negative Feedback changed their Direction a Little bit, to a better, now we should try to make them do the Second Step and "Fix" things Completely so that MOST (not all) People are Happy again, and can ENJOY their Vacation on Rise thise Year! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    And thats the Funny thing...THEY (Developer) want those Ships to be "Exclusive" to the Players who allready own them but.....WE (The Players / Players who allready have them AND also Players who DONT have them) DONT wannt those Ships to be Exclusive to us, HELL i have ALL of them, but I GIVE a TRIBBLE about them to be Excusive to ME / US, they want something for US that WE dont want??????

"A) Here take an Apple Boy B) No thank you Sir A) TAKE THE DAMN APPLE! B) But Sir i really dont want it A) YOU WILL TAKE THAT APPLE NOW CAUSE I SAY ITS GOOD FOR YOU!!!!"

Know what i mean? They think its a good thing....but we dont, thats why iam Protesting here, to show them how DISSPLEASED we (The Majority) are about their Decision, The Overhelmingly Negative Feedback changed their Direction a Little bit, to a better, now we should try to make them do the Second Step and "Fix" things Completely so that MOST (not all) People are Happy again, and can ENJOY their Vacation on Rise thise Year! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Indeed, I have all the summer/winter ships as well, missed a couple of the anniversary ships but that's no biggie (just missed the ones that are still available in various forms lol).

And, I still care enough to argue for the ships not to be discontinued from event projects.

I don't want new players, or veteran casuals to feel 'left out' just because they didn't start playing STO early enough or missed the event for any reason, it's not consistant with most previous event ships which are still available (in some cases Fleet versions only), and seemingly an arbitrary exclusion to remove them from active circulation.
  • Options
    arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    "Wanna get rekt brah? wot up m8? IIlluminati confirmed!" yadda yadda yadda <---- My idea of trolling.... In my opinion he/she was insulting but not a troll. In my experience trolls NEVER have valid points. lol
    that's just an insult and trash talking, not a troll.

trolling is baiting people who can't resist attacking others to start a flamewar by stating unpopular, but inoffensive opinions without making yourself a target for moderation.

it usually ends with a bunch of people getting warned for flaming or personal attacks while the troll gets away because all he did was state his opinion in a polite, neutral way.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • Options
    gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    arrmateys wrote: »
    that's just an insult and trash talking, not a troll.

trolling is baiting people who can't resist attacking others to start a flamewar by stating unpopular, but inoffensive opinions without making yourself a target for moderation.

it usually ends with a bunch of people getting warned for flaming or personal attacks while the troll gets away because all he did was state his opinion in a polite, neutral way.

What is exactly?
    signature.png
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I Shoulnd't be Surprised that you are one of the People who would answer me, seing how persistent you Defend those Changes.

No it does NOT Reduce the Meaning of them being event Ships since one can only Aquire them DURING Events :rolleyes: Why People would bother Play to get them.....well again cause they can be only Aquired DURING those Events????? No one is Raising Fuss or Whatever, no Idea what youre Talking about, all that People are Asking for is KEEP things the way they are, it worked for 3 Winter Events and 2 Summer Events, was there any Fuss or any Problem? No there was NOT. You say Events are Supposed to be occasionally AND THAT IS THE CASE, its still RARE and SPECIAL cause ONCE per Year got that? NOTHING is being taken out of ANYTHING (other than the fact that they wanna take out those Ships) People Enjoy the Events, BUT take a Essential Parts out of those Events now (the Ships) THAT will make People not want to Spend time on the Events anymore or atleast not more than Neccesary. So WHATS your Point????:rolleyes::rolleyes::confused:

Everything in life changes, I am not privy to what the Devs have in store for the future, nor do I want to spend my playing time discussing it. The TOS states the Cryptic and remove, change, add anything they see fit to the game, without compensation to the players. I have faith the Devs have a plan, and it will improve game play in the future. This is my point of view, feel free to disagree, you are within your rights to do so.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    the thing i quoted. the "get rekt" part. that's not a troll, just an insult. a weaker version of the f bomb.
  • Options
    gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    arrmateys wrote: »
    the thing i quoted. the "get rekt" part. that's not a troll, just an insult. a weaker version of the f bomb.

How can it be insulting if it's stupid and incoherent? Nobody should be insulted or offended because, again, it's stupid and incoherent.
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    This is my point of view, feel free to disagree, you are within your rights to do so.

And that Right i use and Definately Disagree with you :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    people can read you know. "get wrecked" is a milder version of "get f" or "go f yourself". talking like a jock or caricature of an australian is just a meme. illuminati is a joke.

the only people i could see miss it are non-native english speakers who translate to their native language first. if you can hear the words in your mind with the right accent and pronounciation, you instantly connect what they say.

besides, talking incoherently is not a troll, just plain spamming.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Careful there Bluegeek , with words like that someone just might blindside you there and call you disingenuous ... . :cool:

I'm not opposed to that. But I'm not really opposed to retiring promo ships, either.

Wow ... , that's such a mess I needed to color code my answer just to stay ahead of the curve ... (and to avoid misquoting you) :

I'm not even sure what to say about the red bit , except it sounds an awful lot like one of Virus Dancer's posts -- a lot of words that manage to give the distinct impression that one does not have an actual opinion / firm corner on a subject .

And if I did not make it clear with the last line in the post that got all the "attention" -- I'm old school in the terms that I like ppl who have a "corner" / clear concise line of thought , and I dislike / highly suspicious of those who change their opinions -- which in writing tends to represent their very selves -- on the count of which way the wind is blowing .
    These ppl rank below "White Knights" for me , as a White Knight at least has an opinion , and for the most part they stick by it (even if it's stupid or can be disproved) .

See , what really popped for me were your two sentences "I don't think that's reasonable + I'm not opposed to that" on the same subject .
    Why state both ?
    You wanted to display that you had conflicting emotions ?

As to the blue bit ... , heh , I understand that P1's Elijah has "retired" of sorts , but are you taking over his unique ability to speak for the silent majority ?
    See , the difference between your statement and my previous "troll post" is that I've actually read most of this thread , as well as the both Reddit threads on this issue .

Thus while I am sorry that you felt that I did not cover your ... conflicting opinions on the subject (see the red bit above) -- I did in fact cover many of the straightforward opinions that were expressed in said threads .

Personally, I like the idea of a Last Chance event.

That at least is something we can agree on , but I'm afraid that that boat has sailed (at least for folks who were gathering Pearls but did not slot the ship project) , unless you want another emblems / going F2P / Stormshade event , where he encouraged ppl to spend their emblems before they announced that emblems were going to be turned into Dil .
    To make the connection -- currently Cryptic is encouraging ppl to spend their Pearls as if they have nothing to save it for , just like Stormshade did with the emblems fiasco , part 1 . :cool:

... part 2 was the conversion rate ...
This discussion has been closed.