test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

R.I.P. Dilithium Exchange

kiloacekiloace Member Posts: 488 Arc User
245 and climbing every time I've checked. Bundle after bundle of new T6 starships, store discount events and not a single dilithium-sink in sight for the foreseeable future.

Argh...If only I had not been so blind! There was a time when it was as low as 80 Dilithium per 1 Zen! *Howls in anguish*
Post edited by kiloace on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,526 Arc User
    edited May 2015
  • Options
    rgzarcherrgzarcher Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    As many people who are complaining about how much dilithium it costs to upgrade items, I'm surprised by this to be honest.
    "Why all the sales"?

And a merry freaking Christmas to you too, Ebenezer.
    -jonsills, 'Cryptic Why the sales..instead of Fixing XP leveling and this game?'
  • Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    rgzarcher wrote: »
    As many people who are complaining about how much dilithium it costs to upgrade items, I'm surprised by this to be honest.

Eh...once you get your upgrades done Dil just stacks up the same as it did before. The larger rep mark conversion projects also help the surplus - I had been just stacking up Omega marks for years now, well into the tens of thousands that I was too lazy to convert. Now I am sitting on a metric ****ton of dilithium. A place to spend it would be nice - never fear, I'm sure another sink is on the way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited May 2015

I'm guessing that most people have simply ignored upgrading and crafting since you can't choose mods etc.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    rygelx16rygelx16 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jornado wrote: »
    Eh...once you get your upgrades done Dil just stacks up the same as it did before. The larger rep mark conversion projects also help the surplus - I had been just stacking up Omega marks for years now, well into the tens of thousands that I was too lazy to convert. Now I am sitting on a metric ****ton of dilithium. A place to spend it would be nice - never fear, I'm sure another sink is on the way.

Roll an alt or 10
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm guessing that most people have simply ignored upgrading and crafting since you can't choose mods etc.

I agree, I have skipped for this reason.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This. The only upgrind I did was with the event kit (still have a few left), and some for the piercing rifle on my rom (considering it's now the only way to have a purple mk xii).

As long as it's random, alt unfriendly, locks you to a single loadout, and incredibly expensive, I'm not even considering doing it. Not like I need it, considering PESTF is pretty much dead, and the pug are more incompetent than ever. I don't need MK XIV for FE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    This. The only upgrind I did was with the event kit (still have a few left), and some for the piercing rifle on my rom (considering it's now the only way to have a purple mk xii).

As long as it's random, alt unfriendly, locks you to a single loadout, and incredibly expensive, I'm not even considering doing it. Not like I need it, considering PESTF is pretty much dead, and the pug are more incompetent than ever. I don't need MK XIV for FE.

How is it Alt unfriendly?
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    pops70pops70 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    A lot of that dilithium could be used for fleet projects if you are in fact in a fleet. If not, find a fleet and donate all that excess dilithium to a greater good.:cool:
    Gamer formerly known as Grimbeard. SFC veteran.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jornado wrote: »

but upgrading is like the anything else, you can always find something more that needs upgrading.

unless you have every single console, weapon and warp core ect. not to mention every piece of ground gear as well all upgraded to the max you can always look and say "oooh just this one more thing"

all my dilithium is as good as spent for the foreseeable future upgrading anyway, that's without even going down the quality gamble road.

I did have a plan its just that the plan keeps getting bigger.
    just as well theres nothing on the C-store I`m desperate to buy at the mo.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Whats the problem?

It used to be higher...

And no... I don't use the exchange, for either Zen or Dil..
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No, there's nothing wrong with it. It's a free market, there's only a problem if it hits the caps (25 or 500).

Simply put, that's what the players in general think Zen is worth at the moment. If you don't agree with it, that's your problem.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    And if they added more dilithium sinks people would complain. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    kiloace wrote: »
    245 and climbing every time I've checked. Bundle after bundle of new T6 starships, store discount events and not a single dilithium-sink in sight for the foreseeable future.

Argh...If only I had not been so blind! There was a time when it was as low as 80 Dilithium per 1 Zen! *Howls in anguish*

It it because of free char slots which delta brought ,free slots with lor rised price to 150 per zen in few weeks

price will only continue to rise since everyone is just making free dill farm alts
  • Options
    dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited May 2015

You can only squeeze so much blood out of a human body....
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    kiloace wrote: »

Oh my sweet summer child.
    I grinded my Bortasqu' when the price was at about 457...
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, sorry I am one of the ones that loves it as I pay zen for the dilithium.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Pilot ships are hot and the game is flooded with Dilithium from Events: CE Event, Recruit Event, etc. What did people think was going to happen? It is the same reason for why the Refining limit should not be raised - it would just drive the Dilithium even higher. Without something major to spend Dilithium on, or thousands of players just stop earning Dilithium, it is only going to keep going up.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It is just a matter of supply and demand, probably the only thing that is balanced in this game. Now I am not an economist, but it looks to me, high Zen-price, as a good sign. The game gives dilithium, so yes, there are players and yes, they play.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Oh no! Some people might have to pay for their new T-6 ships with real money? The horror!!!!!

Sarcasm off.
  • Options
    jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Good, makes it easier for new players to spend a couple of bucks and catch up to us 'seasoned veterans.'

I am probably going to need to figure out whether it's better to start converting dilithium to energy credits or better to continue converting zen to energy credits.
  • Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Have all the fleets (except mine) reached Tier 5? I've got all the dilithium sinks I need.
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Looks like my Dilithium needs are taken care off by the last Zen sale. Excellent. :p

Maybe I should argue for a dilithium refinement cap increase, to reduce the Dilithium value even further. As long as Crptic doesn't add new sinks, I'd stand to benefit! Maybe at some point I can actually become a Dilithium Multi-Millionaire?
    rickdanko wrote: »
    Have all the fleets (except mine) reached Tier 5? I've got all the dilithium sinks I need.

Not all, but a lot.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Oh my sweet summer child.
    I grinded my Bortasqu' when the price was at about 457...

I hope it was worth it for that fine ship. /lol
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    torgaddon101torgaddon101 Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I've seen it @ 380.

save your dili simples..

all exchanges fall in time even artificially controlled; remember the .com boom and bang?

another way off looking at it...

what goes up, must come down.

save you dili..
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    How is it Alt unfriendly?
    Perhaps because it's related to a single item each time, which is obviously not shared between alts ? Unless perhaps on random loot as they are bind on account (not sure if it stays that way when you upgrind), but then, who use random loot AND upgrind it ? So basically, you have to upgrind your gear for every character, if you want to upgrind, obviously.

I dunno, I thought it was obvious enough.
    anazonda wrote: »
    Whats the problem?

It used to be higher...

And no... I don't use the exchange, for either Zen or Dil..
    Well, no offense, but if you don't use it, you are obviously not affected. And since you are not affected, it's kind of obvious you don't see any problem.
    For example, I don't play WoW, I'm not going tot post on the wow forum at some patch drama and say I'm not seeing a problem. Because, obviously I don't see the problem.
    I've seen it @ 380.

save your dili simples..

all exchanges fall in time even artificially controlled; remember the .com boom and bang?

another way off looking at it...

what goes up, must come down.

save you dili..
    There is a huge difference. STO dil exchange is a controlled market. More than any IRL market. You have cap down and up (25 and 500). Cryptic can "reset" it at any time if it gets out of control, what they did in the NWO equivalent when the exchange bug happened.

Also, you have a lot of currency which is added all the time (dil during events mostly). Basically, it's created out of thin air, by large amount. Something you will not have on an IRL market for obvious reasons.

Which means many rules on IRL economics doesn't apply on the dil exchange. Some do, but not all. The only way to see it "crash" would the introduction of a new dil sink which is popular.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yeah... once again, I find these threads an amusing counterpoint to the ones when I first joined the game: the forum full of threads from the Big Money Men, all yelling about how the game was doomed & the economy collapsing because the rate was heading down below 300. (After all, if it was below 300, they wouldn't buy piles o' zen to exchange for Dil to single-handedly supply their fleets' projects. And without their cash, STO would go broke. :rolleyes:)

So, yeah. I've used the exchange in the 200's, I've used it in the 100's, and I've used it at 88 (true, that was really great. But it wasn't the "correct" level any more than 300+ is.) And I've been in Neverwinter, where the exchange spent months pegged at 500, with no zen listed for sale for days at a time. Now that was a borked exchange.

Nothing to see here, exchange working normally. /shrug
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I started with 450-500 exchange rates. The current rate is quite ok.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    When I started playing the Exchange rate was well north of 300 and rapidly approaching 400. Then all the Fleet Projects and Holdings began to occur. Which dropped the rate. Well actually drove it off a cliff would be a more accurate phrase.

Right now, with all those new shiny ships available, Zen has more perceived value than Dilithium. As soon as new Dilithium sinks appear this trend will slow and probably reverse.

When this occurs, and it will occur, someone will start a new Doom thread about how Zen is nearly worthless and Dilithium is too expensive.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.