test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Absurd Dilithium Exchange Prices.

aureleusaureleus Member Posts: 175 Arc User
In just the last few hours the Dilithium Exchange has jumped from the low 200s to now as of typing this to the mid 230s and continues to rise.

Anyone else agree that this is a bit absurd ? I mean hell even with the dil per kill that the Delta Recruits have for the event, they don't get enough per kill to mess with the pricing like this, 1-2 dil per kill lolz.

Looks like I'll be holding on to my Dilithium for awhile :/.

WTF are ppl smoking to think these prices are justified ? o.O.
Post edited by aureleus on

Comments

• generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited April 2015
    Welcome to the good'ol days when dilithium to zen was at the 280+ rates...

Not absurd... Just economics at its best...

It'll go up more than what it is... :)

Cheers,
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The market was pretty soft. Much of upgrades have been done. The upgrade sink was never as powerful as the complaints indicated. If it was we would have seen close to 100. I think the jump is more for the new ships than delta recruiting.

The only, and maybe last, chance we have to cash out will be a new fleet holding - though I think this is looking less likely now. If it happens and we see even the 160's again I will sell all.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Rise baby rise. Now just imagine if people could refine more dil a day. It would be higher.
    320x240.jpg
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I find this wonderful, as a zen seller myself, my zen is now worth more dil then before!
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • aureleusaureleus Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The market was pretty soft. Much of upgrades have been done. The upgrade sink was never as powerful as the complaints indicated. If it was we would have seen close to 100. I think the jump is more for the new ships than delta recruiting.

The only, and maybe last, chance we have to cash out will be a new fleet holding - though I think this is looking less likely now. If it happens and we see even the 160's again I will sell all.

I miss the days when it was in the upper 60s >.< LOLz. And I agree the new ship packs are having an advese effect on the market. An I wouldn't rule out another fleet holding just yet, I have a feeling that when the Iconian stuff roles in were get a new holding, so were see what that does.
    simeion1 wrote: »
    Rise baby rise. Now just imagine if people could refine more dil a day. It would be higher.

Ya just what we need, just like in Neverwinter, there Maxed out on Dil Per Zen there LOL.
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The market was pretty soft. Much of upgrades have been done. The upgrade sink was never as powerful as the complaints indicated.

you mean everone whining about upgrade costs were over-reacting? on this forum? naaaawww

no way that could happen :D
  • tomgonjinn23tomgonjinn23 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    People have to stop complaining as I've posted else where they were 450+ at one point a couple of summers ago. Granted for what the prices have been since then yes this is high but some of us remember those dark days.
  • jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    It's supply vs demand. Really simple economics. Get used to it. It's not a dev conspiracy or anything.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's supply vs demand. Really simple economics. Get used to it. It's not a dev conspiracy or anything.

But, but, but...Walmart had a buy 1 get 10 Tinfoil Hats for Free special running. What do I do with all my Tinfoil Hats?

You know...thinking about it, lol, that would be an interesting Event Reward - a Tinfoil Hat. :D
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    "We finally have reasonable dilithium exchange rates!" was my reaction on hearing this news. It makes sense though, dilithium is in high demand again with all the new toons.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited April 2015
    "We finally have reasonable dilithium exchange rates!" was my reaction on hearing this news. It makes sense though, dilithium is in high demand again with all the new toons.

Er, it's the other way around. Zen is in demand, not Dilithium. Dil's saturated.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Not a conspiracy. But I do think they try to keep it within reason. Most of the fluctuations are directly caused by game events.

However, there is also a natural pressure for the price to go up because the truth is people actually have plenty of dilithium (except apparently for a couple). Therefore we have gotten to the point where the only thing that will make the market go down at all is a big sink. The upgrades were able to ease the pressure for several months. Now I see that pressure rising for the past month or so. It is some interesting study in economics. In this case I don't see 300 in the near future. I would say we will settle back close to 200 but the creep up continues unless we get a fleet holding.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• ilhanskilhansk Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    But, but, but...Walmart had a buy 1 get 10 Tinfoil Hats for Free special running. What do I do with all my Tinfoil Hats?

You know...thinking about it, lol, that would be an interesting Event Reward - a Tinfoil Hat. :D

This is my tinfoil hat. There are many like it, but this one is mine. :P
    Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some STO pew pew PVP action!

edited April 2015
    ilhansk wrote: »

It is a pretty nifty song. :D

And yes, I had to change my avatar for it. :P
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    More dil supply cheapening it. Combine it with people buying those new ships.
  • ilhanskilhansk Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    And yes, I had to change my avatar for it. :P

looooooooooooooooool hahaha :D
    Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some STO pew pew PVP action!

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    aureleus wrote: »
    In just the last few hours the Dilithium Exchange has jumped from the low 200s to now as of typing this to the mid 230s and continues to rise.

Anyone else agree that this is a bit absurd ? I mean hell even with the dil per kill that the Delta Recruits have for the event, they don't get enough per kill to mess with the pricing like this, 1-2 dil per kill lolz.

Looks like I'll be holding on to my Dilithium for awhile :/.

WTF are ppl smoking to think these prices are justified ? o.O.

It's 207:1 right now.

Why is it high? Because there is demand for Zen right now.

Why is there a demand for Zen? Because of the three recently released T6 iconic starships that are on sale for 2,500 Zen each, or all three for 5,000 Zen.
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Wouldn't classify it as economics at it's best really considering that there is a content lock for some of the things being sold and even with the caps it will never fix the endless outside occurrance of outside currency which has always always contributed negatively to every economy in which the developers are their own gold sellers.

If you want to see another example of this economy just look at GW2 and NWO the same exact things are happening in their economies and to act like it's a force of nature is both naive and dishonest.

I'm always amazed at how people who claim to know what they are talking about try to make basic economic knowledge into a conspiracy theory when people point out the issues with the completely greedy designs some of these developers come out with. The more greedy it is the more these people try to make it seem like those of us who have the good sense to recognize a bad deal when we see it are somehow imbalanced or "craaaaaaazy". Being frugal and recognizing a bad deal is now considered nuts apparently.
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The devs have no hand in the prices of the Zen/Dil Exchange, unless you count all the indirect things like new ships, expansions, and so forth

But even if you do count those, it's all thanks to the players' actions that drive those prices; it's no conspiracy whatsoever :)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jaguarskx wrote: »

Why is it high? Because there is demand for Zen right now.

Why is there a demand for Zen? Because of the three recently released T6 iconic starships that are on sale for 2,500 Zen each, or all three for 5,000 Zen.

Bingo!

Didn't take an economics major to see this one coming. The new Galaxy is in high demand, hence Zen value is at a high. Once everyone gets their shiny new ship, it will start to drop again.

Best thing to do if the price is too high for you, is just wait it out. Eventually, it will start to drop again, it just might be a while since these new shiny toys were just released today.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2015

And soon you've got black helicopters comin' cross the border
    Puppet masters for the New World Order
    Be aware: there's always someone that's watching you
    And still the government won't admit they faked the whole moon landing
    Thought control rays, psychotronic scanning
    Don't mind that, I'm protected cause I made this hat

From aluminum foil (foil)
    Wear a hat that's foil lined
    In case an alien's inclined
    To probe your butt or read your mind
    Looks a bit peculiar ('culiar)
    Seems a little crazy
    But someday I'll prove (I'll prove, I'll prove, I'll prove)
    There's a big conspiracy

(I instantly knew what your avatar pic was from. Al is the best!)
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thanks to the greedy players once again I can buy and nuke Bajor if I choose.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Thanks to the greedy players once again I can buy and nuke Bajor if I choose.

OH GOD YOU'RE ALIVE? I thought the Bajorans finally got you to pay for your war crimes
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    cidjack wrote: »
    I find this wonderful, as a zen seller myself, my zen is now worth more dil then before!
    Needs to rise to 250+ Dil to 1 Zen and sustain it over the Delta Recruit campaign.

Though realistically, I think it'll hover around 180~200 thanks to Delta Recruits getting bonus Dilithium for the entire event, and for players who team up with DRs for the teamwide Dil bonus during this event.
  • lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    looks like the prices may go up soon, hardly any zen for sale at the moment. Only about 50k zen total for sale atm.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I suppose you prefer it at the original 1:500 ?

Cause I am sure Cryptic can arrange that.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Don't trade any dilithium. They are trading that high because people are buying Zen that high. Withhold it. It will drop when no one buys for these prices. It's up 50 points. Just say NO.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • lordvalecortezlordvalecortez Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Anyone else remember the days when 350:1 was considered low?
    Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    anazonda wrote: »
    I suppose you prefer it at the original 1:500 ?

Cause I am sure Cryptic can arrange that.

That would be wonderful; if only to help out my fleet some and craft and upgrade all the Superior Techs and equipment I use.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    A more sensible look would include the incoming Zen to the market from the supposed new players (google Delta Recruit to see how aggressively Cryptic advertised this event on MMO sites) .

And while the release of the Galaxy was expected to rise prices , Cryptic also tired to milk the Galaxy / D.Recruitment for all it's worth by running two simultaneous discounts in the C-store .

In short they might as well have put big flashing neon signs on the Borg cubes that read "BUY! BUY! BUY!!! " .

... and for what's it worth , when we left the 158-162 DpZ behind us a while back, to me that also suggested that there is less Zen flowing into the game now . See, your Dil buildup is only half the picture, and the income of Zen into the game is not a constant ...