test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[VIDEO] The Wizards of STO Present: Tribble Doping Exploit Exposed!!!

Comments

• Options
    robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Bug hunt is easy, do hge a lot of players have a problem with that and with triggers when doing iga.
  • Options
    jaymclaughlinjaymclaughlin Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    robyvision wrote: »
    Bug hunt is easy, do hge a lot of players have a problem with that and with triggers when doing iga.

Keep watching the video... He goes over HGE
    animated.gif
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I would just like to make a few comments; while i wasn't in the video, i was on Teamspeak listening in on the guys.

They didn't tell me what they where doing and i was very confused initially. I remember thinking: "This amount of coordination is only required for HSE... but it doesn't sound like they are doing HSE. This sounds like ISA... since when do these guys need to coordinate this much for ISA?!"

The DPS shown in the video includes not only the hangar pets, but fleet supports, and photonic fleets. Also i believe i saw Ryan pop some device pets as well a couple of times.

The DPS shown is also heavily buffed by all the Recluse pets. This run could not have been done without the 3 Recluses. Take those away and the Mobulai's damage would have been cut in half.

It took them a couple of takes to get this run.

Elite pets are still underpowered for their price.

And yeah, that's the stuff that's going to be completely missed because of it going the same way so many threads do. Somebody could post a recipe for Star Trek cupcakes in Ten Forward, and folks would turn it into some massive flamewar between entitled folks, DPS folks, and that one guy would probably stop by to say we can't have nice cupcakes because of the PvPers.

Some folks will just ignore the coordination that required with the way pets like to ignore commands (Hell, there was even the docking example there of having to fight the pets to get them to do it right there in the vid) - how if they miss the breach pulse they love to fly right to their death - and all the rest...

As for Elite pets, meh, I still think they needed a balance pass - a few needed to be tweaked down a hair, many needed to be buffed up a hairbrush full of hairs, some were just fine where they were...but instead we got the typical heavy handed Cryptic hammer o' doom smashing them into the ground.

But hey, this thread will likely ignore all of that and just continue on with the discussion that's taking place...meh.
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    And yeah, that's the stuff that's going to be completely missed because of it going the same way so many threads do. Somebody could post a recipe for Star Trek cupcakes in Ten Forward, and folks would turn it into some massive flamewar between entitled folks, DPS folks, and that one guy would probably stop by to say we can't have nice cupcakes because of the PvPers.

Some folks will just ignore the coordination that required with the way pets like to ignore commands (Hell, there was even the docking example there of having to fight the pets to get them to do it right there in the vid) - how if they miss the breach pulse they love to fly right to their death - and all the rest...

As for Elite pets, meh, I still think they needed a balance pass - a few needed to be tweaked down a hair, many needed to be buffed up a hairbrush full of hairs, some were just fine where they were...but instead we got the typical heavy handed Cryptic hammer o' doom smashing them into the ground.

But hey, this thread will likely ignore all of that and just continue on with the discussion that's taking place...meh.

What's funny too is they're just using pets that everyone can get. There can't be an argument of epic gear or P2W or some exploit yet look what this thread is turning into. It took them 3 tries to win, meaning they failed twice, but that doesn't stop some people from crying that pets are going to get nerfed because of this. They're totally missing the Teamwork and skill required to do ISA like that.
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    If you have a problem with facerolling Advanced, bring a lowbie or non-DPS-configured toon into lower-requirement environments instead of facerolling an STF to where no one else can even get a shot off, and the ability to do all of the things on your list is easily satisfied. But facerolling in a PUG and messing up other players who are at the appropriate level when you are not is poor form, and disruptive to those who are actually playing in the appropriate environment for their level.

Oh, and if there is not an Elite for the queue you want and you insist on playing DPS mode only, you should be able to get enough mats in an *appropriate* queue (Elite) to fetch a good price on the Exchange to trade for what you are really after. This works for those whose toons are not competitive in every Advanced queue, and it would work just as well for those who would otherwise be tempted to go into a PUG with an overleveled toon.

Or again, use a different toon or build, that is level matched to the content.

Or a private map.

Just so I know, what (and who) determines the "appropriate level" for advanced, so far as the upper bound goes?

I have an alt that can do 20k, another at 30k, a ship at 40k, another at 50k+, I have ships with heavy crowd control, I have ships that tank, I have ships that heal, and those are at varying levels of dps?

So, which ones am I allowed to bring in?

And how does bringing a worse ship/character in help me:
    • develop personal skills
    • prove that my ships can do what I claim even in a pug (the basic worst-case)
    • show how to actually perform at a high level
    • parse my actually good ships
    • or anything else?

And, like I said, I have a tac toon that's in the 30-50k range, but's still level 54. What's he supposed to do, stop being good?

He still needs marks, he still needs dil. He literally can't fly the elite queues to get RnD mats. I'm not going to handicap him from being able to get gear just because he's too good by some artificial standard you can't reach.

Where did I ever say that I play "dps-mode only?" (and why would focusing on DPS be bad anyway?)

I have tanks as my primary ships. The fact that I can achieve high levels of dps with them doesn't mean I'm going DPS-Only mode.

And why to you have the gall to demand that I handicap myself or stick to private channels? I am not being detrimental to the team; I'm familiar with the queue and more than bringing my weight. I am only doing good things for the queue. Why do you shun me?
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    And why to you have the gall to demand that I handicap myself or stick to private channels? I am not being detrimental to the team; I'm familiar with the queue and more than bringing my weight. I am only doing good things for the queue. Why do you shun me?

Rhetorical question?

Its simply his envy speaking.
    You know this Jamaican named Bold? The fastest sprinter alive? I find it highly insulting that I cant reach his level, so I demand he cut his legs to make it a fair game.
    Thats along the lines some people (seem) to think.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    Rhetorical question?

You know this Jamaican named Bold? The fastest sprinter alive? I find it highly insulting that I cant reach his level, so I demand he cut his legs to make it a fair game.

No, it's egotistic that he posts videos of him running. He shouldn't be allowed to run, he'll just use it to show off. Make sure he walks everywhere.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Rhetorical question?

No, he should compete on the world class level he has the capability and skill to compete on. But for him to compete at a college track meet and penalize all of the college kids every time just because he is there and practically guaranteed a win, would be ridiculous.

We want to see him win at the Olympics and equivalent, not go out and deliberately mess up things that are clearly far beneath his level.

In STO, the elites and private matches would be the "Olympics," Advanced would be the "college" level, and the Normals would be the high school group, or any informal group you might belong to.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So basically, exploits and bugs should not be made public so they can be fixed asap? Just as long as enough people can profit from them?

I don't get how that was either an exploit or a bug. I'm admittedly dense when it comes to videos like this. A voiceover explaining what was going on would've been more helpful to me than an admittedly fun soundtrack. Notes that link to actual builds, even.

We're supposed to be able to use carrier pets with carriers, right? And an all-carrier team is always an option, yes?

Sure, I understand that the pets probably shouldn't be able to take down a target without fire support from the 'mothership'. But add enough pets with the right support and it's a matter of total firepower exceeding total attrition where the overwhelmed target can't kill them fast enough.

If there's an issue that needs fixing, it's that the carrier should rightfully draw aggro for the damage its pets do. Any sane tactician knows that if you kill the carrier you kill support for the fighters. If STO did that, those kinds of tactics used in the video wouldn't work so well.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Wow all the hate in this thread....

The video was both impressive and sad... Impressive that they've pulled it off with just pets, pets that anyone can acquire. It's sad because they pulled it off with just pets, pets that anyone can acquire. The video really shows the amazing things good teamwork can accomplish.

Now a question, how are pets' damage determined? Is it based off the gear of the mother ship or something else?

Again, well done!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    e30ernest wrote: »
    Wow all the hate in this thread....

The video was both impressive and sad... Impressive that they've pulled it off with just pets, pets that anyone can acquire. It's sad because they pulled it off with just pets, pets that anyone can acquire. The video really shows the amazing things good teamwork can accomplish.

Now a question, how are pets' damage determined? Is it based off the gear of the mother ship or something else?

Again, well done!

It's their innate stats and abilities. Modified by your ability to control (ha) where they fly and what they shoot at, and the target's damage resistance.

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    If there's an issue that needs fixing, it's that the carrier should rightfully draw aggro for the damage its pets do. Any sane tactician knows that if you kill the carrier you kill support for the fighters. If STO did that, those kinds of tactics used in the video wouldn't work so well.

I think the aggro is cleverly drawn by the photonic decoys, and the Fleet Support ships (that technically count as pets too).

And these guys properly positioned themselves so as not to be attacked. This sometimes happens in the DPS channels too, but then by accident, when a person's pets start already attacking the first Cube when they got too close. :)

This was a highly coordinated, highly skillful feat. But certainly no exploit of any kind; nor even easy. The latter is actually my main worry: that people (read: the Devs) will think it's all way too easy, and now needs to be nerfed. People who think this was easy should try it themselves first, and watch themselves fail miserably.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    brakkennbrakkenn Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think people misunderstood what I said about not being allowed in an advanced queue. I was talking about a full group of coordinated, high dps players should be unable to enter a normal or advanced queue. A single individual should go to any queue they want. The reason these people go into an advanced queue is because for many people still the advanced queue can be difficult so by face-rolling it or by letting their pets clear it they are subtlety thumbing their nose at people who may struggle with it. Then they come on the forums and gloat about it. My own personal opinion is that it is poor form and unnecessary.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    brakkenn wrote: »
    I think people misunderstood what I said about not being allowed in an advanced queue. I was talking about a full group of coordinated, high dps players should be unable to enter a normal or advanced queue. A single individual should go to any queue they want. The reason these people go into an advanced queue is because for many people still the advanced queue can be difficult so by face-rolling it or by letting their pets clear it they are subtlety thumbing their nose at people who may struggle with it. Then they come on the forums and gloat about it. My own personal opinion is that it is poor form and unnecessary.

You realize there is no ISE, right? There are not Elite versions of several queues.

That you feel they are thumbing their nose at folks struggling with it...is how you feel about it. You're attributing your feelings about the matter to what others are doing - regardless of any reasons that they might actually be doing it.

It's one of the reasons that I've oft said that the threads breakdown into flamewars for egos...not massive egos, no - rather, fragile egos.

And again, they didn't just let the pets clear it - if just pets could clear it, then everybody would just be running pets to clear it, yeah? Wham bam, sit at the spawn let the pets do it? But that's not what they did, either?

So, let's sum it up, eh?

1) You've told them to go elsewhere when that elsewhere does not exist.
    2) You've decided that they do what they do because of how it makes you feel.
    3) You've denied that there was any accomplishment in what they did.

Kind of stuff that might just tick some folks off, yeah?

Cause those guys that are "subtlety thumbing their nose at people who may struggle with it"..."they come on the forums and gloat about it"...you know they've written countless guides, done build recommendations, how-to videos, and so much more to try to help all those folks...struggling.

To have somebody come along and say..." it is poor form and unnecessary"...

...might just tick folks off, eh?

Don't get me wrong, there are the folks that will thumb their nose at folks - they tend not to be subtle about it...folks that will gloat...and generally show all that poor form and do all sorts of unnecessary TRIBBLE.

It's just, imho, important to realize that they're not the same people. Just cause somebody does more than X DPS doesn't automatically turn them into a douche nozzle. (What tv show did I see that on? It's stuck in my head now.)
  • Options
    sf911sf911 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »

This was a highly coordinated, highly skillful feat. But certainly no exploit of any kind; nor even easy. The latter is actually my main worry: that people (read: the Devs) will think it's all way too easy, and now needs to be nerfed. People who think this was easy should try it themselves first, and watch themselves fail miserably.

+1

Those who produced that video are some of the very few in this game that could pull-off such a trick. I really hope some people don't start suggesting pets are OP, nerf them, etc etc etc..
  • Options
    cookiecupcakescookiecupcakes Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Awesome job guys!
    EEiLA7V.jpg
  • Options
    sgtschatzsgtschatz Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It took a lot of skill for the run?? Meh Wanna impress me start an NX channel where everyone flies low level ships. Lower the dps a bit increase the fun. Muwhaa I dare ya!!! Don't make me break protocol and go straight to the triple dog dare. LOL Great job though!!! P.S yes I know Ryan knows what I'm talking about. I saw his video and did it myself. Tons of fun!! Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sgtschatz wrote: »
    It took a lot of skill for the run?? Meh Wanna impress me start an NX channel where everyone flies low level ships. Lower the dps a bit increase the fun. Muwhaa I dare ya!!! Don't make me break protocol and go straight to the triple dog dare. LOL Great job though!!! P.S yes I know Ryan knows what I'm talking about. I saw his video and did it myself. Tons of fun!! Thanks

There is no NX channel nor T1 ship Channel where only people who finished with group of T1 ships. I dont think it is necessary to do it. If that were to happen, the population would be closer to what DPS PRime channel is with 15 people or less on it.

However, they already pushed NX-1 back Nov 2014 to 28k DPS, means less power creep.

There was also a recent vid of them of them doing a bunch of T1 ships with gimped items/builds in ISA. You can actually search it in Ryan's youtube channel not unless you are just like some players in this thread just spamming challenge after challenge to them but refuses to use the search button.
  • Options
    snipey47asnipey47a Member Posts: 485 Media Corps
    edited April 2015
    brakkenn wrote: »
    I wish the game could just filter these guys out and not even let them back into advanced queues since they have no business being in them in the first place other than to make YouTube videos showing us all how under-geared our own ships are. It's like being level 100 mythic geared in Wow and making a video of you clearing deadmines with pets only. You may think you look skilled but in reality it's just desperate and narcissistic while hiding behind a "just showing a broken skill" or similar excuse.

Holy hell... a new level of stupid on these forums has just been achieved.... I pity you, sir.
  • Options
    jjdezjjdez Member Posts: 570 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My message to those who can't stand videos from the DPS community:

You can tell by the title of a thread who created it (DPSers) and what it's going to entail (DPS-centric video). So don't open these threads, don't reply to them, and don't watch the video(s). Play the game how you want, and let us play the game how we want.
  • Options
    nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    :D *popcorn* reading some comments here... oh man, i understand your feelings dez :P
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    that welcome mat looks really worn... best get it repaired.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jjdez wrote: »
    My message to those who can't stand videos from the DPS community:

You can tell by the title of a thread who created it (DPSers) and what it's going to entail (DPS-centric video). So don't open these threads, don't reply to them, and don't watch the video(s). Play the game how you want, and let us play the game how we want.

I don't quite understand how it's an unforgivable sin to talk badly about someone's "playstyle" if it doesn't involve DPS- yet it is perfectly acceptable for those people to flagrantly berate someone's "playstyle" if it does involve DPS.

Weapons are all Hippo [crit]x4.
  • Options
    solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Ah, the usual fireworks in a wizards blahblah thread; good entertainment during downtime.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    sinn74 wrote: »
    I don't quite understand how it's an unforgivable sin to talk badly about someone's "playstyle" if it doesn't involve DPS- yet it is perfectly acceptable for those people to flagrantly berate someone's "playstyle" if it does involve DPS.

Weapons are all Hippo [crit]x4.

Didn't you know? Be a tank that does 20 DPS but doesn't die is a good thing because you didn't die and that makes you the best player in the game! This is ignoring the fact that a 20 DPS tank means the other 4 people on the team have increased workload to complete the mission and also due to the low DPS the NPCs think there isn't actually a player there, just empty space.

And DPS is soooo lone wolf, man. DPS isn't about teamwork, remember? /sarc.... this is despite all videos you have seen from the DPS Wizards having a high amount of teamwork and coordination between players.

In my opinion, people who play in team matches oblivious to what their builds and play style do to the rest of the team AND (note the "and" here because this next part will cause some to scream) don't want to or care to improve are the real trolls in this game. I accept that people are at different levels and prefer a certain type of build/ship and 100k DPS is not everyone goal but not wanting to improve how they play is something I don't understand and can only put it down to arrogance. Therefore to prove my point, I issue a challenge to everyone in the DPS channels or anyone that does 10k DPS or higher to PUG every space match in the queue and then at the end pass or fail, mention something that would have improved (or passed) the match and offer to help the members who were in the team. Do it by pm if you have to as many warp out without saying gg. If my experience is anything to go by and I do this quite regularly you will be lucky if you get any response at all and even luckier if 1-2 to respond accepting help. Seriously try it, you will be amazed how much people actually don't care about or don't care for improvement....

What can I surmise from this? Most PUGs think they are playing the game perfectly already and your offer to help them improve is an insult or most PUGs don't care about their random team mates and how their performance impacts on them.... if the second part is more accurate then that is trollish behaviour to me.... what does everyone else think?

Snipey
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    snipey47a wrote: »
    Didn't you know? Be a tank that does 20 DPS but doesn't die is a good thing because you didn't die and that makes you the best player in the game! This is ignoring the fact that a 20 DPS tank means the other 4 people on the team have increased workload to complete the mission and also due to the low DPS the NPCs think there isn't actually a player there, just empty space.

And DPS is soooo lone wolf, man. DPS isn't about teamwork, remember? /sarc.... this is despite all videos you have seen from the DPS Wizards having a high amount of teamwork and coordination between players.

In my opinion, people who play in team matches oblivious to what their builds and play style do to the rest of the team AND (note the "and" here because this next part will cause some to scream) don't want to or care to improve are the real trolls in this game. I accept that people are at different levels and prefer a certain type of build/ship and 100k DPS is not everyone goal but not wanting to improve how they play is something I don't understand and can only put it down to arrogance. Therefore to prove my point, I issue a challenge to everyone in the DPS channels or anyone that does 10k DPS or higher to PUG every space match in the queue and then at the end pass or fail, mention something that would have improved (or passed) the match and offer to help the members who were in the team. Do it by pm if you have to as many warp out without saying gg. If my experience is anything to go by and I do this quite regularly you will be lucky if you get any response at all and even luckier if 1-2 to respond accepting help. Seriously try it, you will be amazed how much people actually don't care about or don't care for improvement....

What can I surmise from this? Most PUGs think they are playing the game perfectly already and your offer to help them improve is an insult or most PUGs don't care about their random team mates and how their performance impacts on them.... if the second part is more accurate then that is trollish behaviour to me.... what does everyone else think?

Snipey

I've done far, FAR too much PUG testing. More than I probably should have. From my experience, pointing out any flaws in build, tactics, or execution will only draw obscenities, "I know what I'm doing, you're the one who doesn't," or ignores.

90% of the ones with low DPS either won't admit it, think they somehow are making up for it in another way (they aren't), or simply don't care. The latter being flagrant trollers/leechers.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I've done far, FAR too much PUG testing. More than I probably should have. From my experience, pointing out any flaws in build, tactics, or execution will only draw obscenities, "I know what I'm doing, you're the one who doesn't," or ignores.

90% of the ones with low DPS either won't admit it, think they somehow are making up for it in another way (they aren't), or simply don't care. The latter being flagrant trollers/leechers.

Thats 1 in support.....

Actually I'm going to start a separate thread on that challenge. I hope you don't mind me using some of your words. :-)
  • Options
    spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    robyvision wrote: »
    Why don't you guys join some random pug team in some queue other than isa, ksa, csa.
    May It be even a ground one.:) I would like to see some real magic.:P

They do … back in the day when I used to pug farm NTTE ( when the boss was not so tough ) with 3 chars, I have ended up together with Ryan 3 times, 2 of them it was Ryan and Holofrog if I remember well .
    One of those runs was impressive : we parsed around 1300 each .
    P58WJe7.jpg

• Options
    synfoolasynfoola Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I agree with you on this to a point but feel inclined to point out the other side of this coin which is when parse chasers think that DPS is going to solve any problem, even in a PuG, and end up failing the instance chasing that philosophy.

After a million & twelve IS(E)A PuGs, my experience tells me that the ratio between the people not pulling their weight and the parse chasers Leeroy'ing the trans before the rest of the team can catch up from the last battle (which may not even be done yet) isn't as far apart as people may think.

And it doesn't seem to be limited to full PuGs. Last night someone in 10k posted a log showing a good combined 75k DPS team and then basically asked, "How in the world did we fail this?".

Don't get me wrong...I'm just a casual who couldn't be bothered with running CLR for more than a day or two and actually got my original channel invite from someone else's parse, but I (and I think more people than others want to admit) recognize the importance that DPS plays in this game. I didn't dance the Galactic Exchange Boogaloo to get Leech Consoles for all my captains, invest dil into fleets for crit consoles, or purchase Zen ships just for "immersion". I, like others, just want the PuGs STF's to succeed and will do my part. But I also hate to see this conversation become the inevitable Elitist vs Leecher argument, especially when my experience tells me that some players who are seeking to be Elite are ruining STF's almost as much as people who can't be bothered to gear up their ships.