test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[VIDEO] The Wizards of STO Present: Tribble Doping Exploit Exposed!!!

Comments

• gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    brakkenn wrote: »
    This is just another self serving look how cool I am post from the "wizards" All these type of posts do is poke fun at the devs and then get hanger pets nerfed even more so then these guys jump back into their 100k dps scimitars laughing at everyone else. How bout you wizards stay in Hogwarts polishing each others wands and leave the rest of us alone.

As a Vesta pilot who would not like to have my pets nerfed yet AGAIN, I wholeheartedly second the concern that this sort of behavior from the DPS community will not cause a "balance" that would benefit anybody: it will cause a nerf that hurts everyone else with pets EXCEPT for the DPS'ers. The DPS crowd needs to start thinking of others not just in their words but in their actions too, which currently give the opposite impression.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    The DPS crowd needs to start thinking of others not just in their words but in their actions too, which currently give the opposite impression.

So basically, exploits and bugs should not be made public so they can be fixed asap? Just as long as enough people can profit from them?
  • robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    paxdawn wrote: »
    In that scenario, PuGs will get AFK penalty because they cannot keep up with doing at least 1% of damage. Hence, hate thread/buttheart thread in the forums, which has happened by the way. Just do the search button and search for it in the same General Discussion.

As much as possible Top DPSers avoid PuGs not because they can easily carry it but because they can easily make PuGs get that AFK Penalty.

With regards to the ground, they have all parsed more than 1k+ DPS in NTTE, have done NSDE and recorded. You should know this unless you are just too lazy use the search button.

In short, they have done it already.

If that earlier was a hate thread then, I don't know how to respond to that hate of yours.:rolleyes:
    I was just pointing to the obvious.:D
    You are creating complexes that pugs can t do even 1 % dps and influencing other player to never touch the public queue. Thats why we have low pop up rate and there being a lot of noobs in teams when a pug team is formed.
    Its because super elite channels and I m sure you cant do a thing without them.
  • paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    robyvision wrote: »
    If that earlier was a hate thread then, I don't know how to respond to that hate of yours.:rolleyes:
    I was just pointing to the obvious.:D
    You are creating complexes that pugs can t do even 1 % dps and influencing other player to never touch the public queue. Thats why we have low pop up rate and there being a lot of noobs in teams when a pug team is formed.
    Its because super elite channels and I m sure you cant do a thing without them.

DPSers AFking PuGs can happen. Dont need to prove it to you. Not everything is spoon fed.

All your assumptions are based that PuGs are the majority, which they are not. STO community moved away from PuGs because you will encounter PUGs with leeches, trolls, griefers.

The mechanics also favors Private queues. There are no leaver penalty in private queues to accommodate for organized reforming/teamwork.

PuGs are also unpredictable with bare minimum to no teamwork on a team based game. If you look at it objectively, PuGging is more Elitist than private queuing since you would see 1-2 PuG instances of one mission and 20-40 of the same popular mission instance.

But I already went to answer your challenge to them. They already did it. And Yes, PuGgin is the new form of Elitism.
  • deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    DPSers AFking PuGs can happen. Dont need to prove it to you. Not everything is spoon fed.

All your assumptions are based that PuGs are the majority, which they are not. STO community moved away from PuGs because you will encounter PUGs with leeches, trolls, griefers.

The mechanics also favors Private queues. There are no leaver penalty in private queues to accommodate for organized reforming/teamwork.

PuGs are also unpredictable with bare minimum to no teamwork on a team based game. If you look at it objectively, PuGging is more Elitist than private queuing since you would see 1-2 PuG instances of one mission and 20-40 of the same popular mission instance.

But I already went to answer your challenge to them. They already did it. And Yes, PuGgin is the new form of Elitism.

funny how queues still pop pugging in a reasonable amount of time if not instantly...by any chance do you do metrics for cryptic? you both seem to use the same 'logic and math'. and fail to see how a public group mechanic is more elitist than private groups...when anything is deemed private it's to keep only select individuals in and everyone else OUT.
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As a Vesta pilot who would not like to have my pets nerfed yet AGAIN, I wholeheartedly second the concern that this sort of behavior from the DPS community will not cause a "balance" that would benefit anybody: it will cause a nerf that hurts everyone else with pets EXCEPT for the DPS'ers. The DPS crowd needs to start thinking of others not just in their words but in their actions too, which currently give the opposite impression.

There was A LOT more going on then just spamming pets. There was positioning, lots of Beta Spamming (which is a different issue all together), target selection, and good use of recall/attack carrier commands. I highly doubt that this will lead to any nerf. The previous pet nerf was because pets were out performing ships, as in my danubes in my vesta had 80k hulls while my vesta had a 75k hull.
    Not quite where I would have gone with that. Never been a fan of that kind of broad language. Individuals? Sure, there are individuals which if I'm not careful Trendy's going to knock me about with a bacon wrapped hammer for a few days or longer...but never that broad a scope of thinking that I'm getting stuck with all those folks in a pug. Maybe I'm naive, but I figure most folks are trying and to be honest - that vid demonstrated how even that DPS from the pets was overkill for the content. Folks don't even need to do that much to have a successful ISA run and even nab the Optional...which would have been more where I went with it. For all the folks making excuses that they need oodles and oodles of DPS...they don't even need the DPS from hangar pets to do an ISA run.

Now, mind you, the other bit would be that if me and four other guys like me were to try to do the same thing that they did in the vid...we'd probably fail. They didn't just release the pets and that was that...you could see the positioning, the control, directing the pets...showed some nifty knowledge and ability there even with just pets. So kudos to them for that...

...but honestly, all the pug bashing stuff - just rubs me a bit the wrong way. And odds are, even though they didn't say it - the DPS folks are going to get blamed for it. So the circle will go around and around...meaningless flamewars that go nowhere and aren't good for the game.

Just my 2 EC... and sorry to the guys for the little side bit there, that was definitely pretty nifty.

Totally with you on this, Virus. Both PUG bashing and DPS hating is ridiculous and are equally just as bad.
    edited April 2015

You have good points. Pugs are a lot of the time brainless mutes.
    I don't know the status of the player base and I personally would always presume that there are more casual players then elitist dps machines. We are not Geko that can wave his matrics sheet with absolute proof and justify these, or that matter.
    I found that alot of time if you have 2, or 3 good players even solid ones and with your person it can be done.:)
    I dont think that I m some knowledge freak and my dmg is not godlike, but it does make bad things go away.
    edited April 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    So basically, exploits and bugs should not be made public so they can be fixed asap? Just as long as enough people can profit from them?

No, rather when there is a true problem, reports should go through proper channels (i.e. Support tickets and bug reporting) instead of in a provocative manner like these sensationalized bragging videos, which practically dare the devs into an overreaction instead of a more reasonable response that is less likely to cause massive damage to non-DPS-elite players' builds.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • jaymclaughlinjaymclaughlin Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No, rather when there is a true problem, reports should go through proper channels (i.e. Support tickets and bug reporting) instead of in a provocative manner like these sensationalized bragging videos, which practically dare the devs into an overreaction instead of a more reasonable response that is less likely to cause massive damage to non-DPS-elite players' builds.

How is this a DPS Elite build? It's only using pets?

Much like the T1 ships in the previous video, or the NX before that. We're all playing the same game, with the same access to the same stuff.
    animated.gif
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2015

^^ And there you go, proving his exact point, already looking upon this vid as some 'exploitative behavior' that needs to be fixed asap! Please, don't.

You thought this was impressive, didn't you?! So did I! And so will the Devs. And they will start nerfing, as a knee-jerk reaction; or use this vid -- in their own minds -- to justify the next pet nerf. Whereas, in reality, almost no other group will be able to pull this off. It takes great coordination and precise positioning, done by a team of players, likely on Team Speak, who have been playing with each other for years.

Just because Einstein could do it, doesn't mean Math is easy, you know?!

And we also don't know how many takes it took them. The longer I think about it, the more I'm beginning to feel vids like these are not per se in the public's best interest, however impressive that feat was. They're really sending a horribly wrong message here.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited April 2015
    I would just like to make a few comments; while i wasn't in the video, i was on Teamspeak listening in on the guys.

They didn't tell me what they where doing and i was very confused initially. I remember thinking: "This amount of coordination is only required for HSE... but it doesn't sound like they are doing HSE. This sounds like ISA... since when do these guys need to coordinate this much for ISA?!"

The DPS shown in the video includes not only the hangar pets, but fleet supports, and photonic fleets. Also i believe i saw Ryan pop some device pets as well a couple of times.

The DPS shown is also heavily buffed by all the Recluse pets. This run could not have been done without the 3 Recluses. Take those away and the Mobulai's damage would have been cut in half.

It took them a couple of takes to get this run.

Elite pets are still underpowered for their price.
  • cecil08cecil08 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have a question. I don't mean this to be snarky, I really do wonder: Don't you ever get sick of running Infected Space?

Also, why is Infected Space the "benchmark" mission for DPS?
  • jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    cecil08 wrote: »
    I have a question. I don't mean this to be snarky, I really do wonder: Don't you ever get sick of running Infected Space?

Also, why is Infected Space the "benchmark" mission for DPS?

No more than any other grind in the game.

ISA is the benchmark because:
    • It's consistent: there are no varying spawns, no question of what's aggro'd, and nearly everything is stationary or has a set path.
    • It's largely made up of multiple targets (nearly all of the PvE content in the game is based on how fast you can kill groups of enemies, so having a test that doesn't reflect your dps in an aoe environment is bad)
    • It can generally be survived by people in a build that survives in a team setting (if you have to go full turtle or die often, it isn't comparable to most other environments)
    • It features mostly or entirely low resist targets (again, to be comparable to most queues - damage resist debuffing gives different relative results based on the target's base resists (I can explain this in more depth if I need to))
    • It features at least some unshielded targets (a la ISA, CSA, KSA, VCE, Breach, UAE, etc) (to be fair to torpedo/kinetic builds)
    • And it's cross-faction (so that everyone can do it).
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
    edited April 2015

• It's consistent: there are no varying spawns, no question of what's aggro'd, and nearly everything is stationary or has a set path.
    • It's largely made up of multiple targets (nearly all of the PvE content in the game is based on how fast you can kill groups of enemies, so having a test that doesn't reflect your dps in an aoe environment is bad)
    • It can generally be survived by people in a build that survives in a team setting (if you have to go full turtle or die often, it isn't comparable to most other environments)
    • It features mostly or entirely low resist targets (again, to be comparable to most queues - damage resist debuffing gives different relative results based on the target's base resists (I can explain this in more depth if I need to))
    • It features at least some unshielded targets (a la ISA, CSA, KSA, VCE, Breach, UAE, etc) (to be fair to torpedo/kinetic builds)

It should also be pointed out that we don't only do ISA haha.
    animated.gif
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2015

And, last, but not least,

* The map is small enough to produce reliable DPS results. Korfez, ksa, csa, etc, they have a tendency to have people be too far apart, making parses kinda useless (or, rather, only useful to oneself).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • brakkennbrakkenn Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I wish the game could just filter these guys out and not even let them back into advanced queues since they have no business being in them in the first place other than to make YouTube videos showing us all how under-geared our own ships are. It's like being level 100 mythic geared in Wow and making a video of you clearing deadmines with pets only. You may think you look skilled but in reality it's just desperate and narcissistic while hiding behind a "just showing a broken skill" or similar excuse.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited April 2015

But isnt that exactly the fun part? Though I dont think the ones who posted the vid would think that way, I dont see any problems in another pet-nerf, and the resulting whine-threads. I like those threads. I liked LoR -gamewise- far better than DR, but DR closed in when considering the forums. Though in the end LoR was stil better.
    The forums since DR are far better entertainment than the game.

But to think along your lines, if you are dependend on you pets damage, you might as well tweak your build better, be it toward more dps or more CC.

I wish the game could just filter these guys out and not even let them back into advanced queues since they have no business being in them in the first place other than to make YouTube videos showing us all how under-geared our own ships are. It's like being level 100 mythic geared in Wow and making a video of you clearing deadmines with pets only. You may think you look skilled but in reality it's just desperate and narcissistic while hiding behind a "just showing a broken skill" or similar excuse.

I can see the envy...towards pets :D
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Come on now. "Under-geared"? It is a more of a case of being one of the best coordinated group of players ingame right now.

Seen the movie Man of Steel? I'm not sure if I'm remembering it right but know that speech that Jor El told his son?
    You will give the people an ideal to strive towards.
    They will race behind you.
    They will stumble.
    They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun.
    In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.

That is my dream for the STO playerbase. That everyone becomes a Wizard of STO in their own right and by their own skill.
    edited April 2015

Yes it is a ego boosting thing. Like the pvp gameplay these videos are being used to show off . I cant say that I don't understand them.
    Maybe its the only thing that's keeping them ingame, so if it makes them happy and satisfied with the current game mechanics let them be.
    I just wished that they would in included some of their build info, some tips for incoming new players. You can't just make videos all the time like we were there killed a bunch of stupid npc, praise us! :D
  • alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Usually in the forums it's "These missions are sooooooooooooooooooooooo hard, please make them no-fail!"

Other than the ships and what I'm assuming are elite pets, I don't see them using expensive gear here. In fact, that's the whole point of this video - most of the expensive gear in the game is not even being used here and they still beat isa (after a few tries).

So to the people who are saying they feel bad that they can't beat ISA even with their ships, maybe this is the kick in the pants you need? If carrier pets can beat this mission and get the optional, just think of all the different kinds of builds that would be able to do better! No need for the devs to dumb down this mission!
  • alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yes it is a ego boosting thing. Like the pvp gameplay these videos are being used to show off . I cant say that I don't understand them.
    Maybe its the only thing that's keeping them ingame, so if it makes them happy and satisfied with the current game mechanics let them be.
    I just wished that they would in included some of their build info, some tips for incoming new players. You can't just make videos all the time like we were there killed a bunch of stupid npc, praise us! :D

What, like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ocZfZAHJk

And discussions of game mechanics on reddit? And the builds these folks post on stoacademy.com? And the help they give in the dps channels (including DPS public) when people ask?

What do you want them to do, show up in your house and play the game for you?
  • jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015

Woah. I have no business being in advanced queues because I'm good at the game?

So god forbid that I:

Tank, and wish to help out some players

Tank, and wish to prove that I can in fact tank in pugs

DPS, and wish to help out other players

Have sci ships, and wish to help out my team

Have a healer, and wish to practice it

Wish to practice new ships or ship layouts

Have alts

Wish to get resources from advanced queues

Wish to use a reliable map for parsing

Wish to show less-skilled players how to get better

Wish to relax and do something easy.

Want Nukara marks from a space queue

Have a 50k toon that's still level 54 and literally can't enter elite queues

Want to run a queue other than the ~6 elite space queues currently in-game

---

Oh, and see sig.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
    edited April 2015

So god forbid that I:

Have alts

---

Oh, and see sig.

Couldn't have put it better myself!
    animated.gif
    edited April 2015
    But isnt that exactly the fun part? Though I dont think the ones who posted the vid would think that way, I dont see any problems in another pet-nerf, and the resulting whine-threads. I like those threads. I liked LoR -gamewise- far better than DR, but DR closed in when considering the forums. Though in the end LoR was stil better.
    The forums since DR are far better entertainment than the game.

But to think along your lines, if you are dependend on you pets damage, you might as well tweak your build better, be it toward more dps or more CC.

Actually, I have decent CC. However, it is not just the pets' DPS in and of itself I care about, though for a non-DPS-elite, any nerf WILL hit harder. We cannot all afford the time and in-game resources to be in the elite yet these sorts of displays, as in this thread, just encourage the devs to cater only to said tiny demographic without regard to the effect on the rest.

There are some very cool tricks you can do in a carrier depending on how you are set up, to accomplish mission objectives that do not work at all if the pets are nerfed into oblivion on either damage or strength (i.e. get blown up merely by being looked at the wrong way). At least in PvE, you can use the pets in either solo or team play to sneak the mothership into place to activate and deactivate items the mission calls you to do, without getting shot at (battlezone control point objectives and Mirror Invasion rift closings as good examples) as opposed to being forced into a single playstyle of "blow 'em all up good" before being able to advance any objective. Frankly, it is a LOT more enjoyable to be able to use some strategy instead of making the answer to everything "MOAR DPS!!!1!111"

edited April 2015
    alex284 wrote: »
    What, like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ocZfZAHJk

And discussions of game mechanics on reddit? And the builds these folks post on stoacademy.com? And the help they give in the dps channels (including DPS public) when people ask?

What do you want them to do, show up in your house and play the game for you?

Yes this one is good. Add more these and do it with more diverse missions/career/ships/gear/......:)
    edited April 2015

So god forbid that I:

Have alts

---

Oh, and see sig.

If you have a problem with facerolling Advanced, bring a lowbie or non-DPS-configured toon into lower-requirement environments instead of facerolling an STF to where no one else can even get a shot off, and the ability to do all of the things on your list is easily satisfied. But facerolling in a PUG and messing up other players who are at the appropriate level when you are not is poor form, and disruptive to those who are actually playing in the appropriate environment for their level.

Oh, and if there is not an Elite for the queue you want and you insist on playing DPS mode only, you should be able to get enough mats in an *appropriate* queue (Elite) to fetch a good price on the Exchange to trade for what you are really after. This works for those whose toons are not competitive in every Advanced queue, and it would work just as well for those who would otherwise be tempted to go into a PUG with an overleveled toon.

Or again, use a different toon or build, that is level matched to the content.

Or a private map.

edited April 2015
    Yes this one is good. Add more these and do it with more diverse missions/career/ships/gear/......:)

Like ground?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhqDxLXswG8
    animated.gif
  • jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    troll thread is troll
    edited April 2015

Bug hunt is easy, do hge a lot of players have a problem with that and with triggers when doing iga.
    edited April 2015
    Bug hunt is easy, do hge a lot of players have a problem with that and with triggers when doing iga.

Keep watching the video... He goes over HGE
    animated.gif