test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sector Space Revamp

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    and they just fixed a whole ****load
    Tribble is being brought down for maintenance to update it to build ST.50.20150308c.6.

Sector Space Revamp:
    • Minor updates have been made to the art through the Sector Space environment.
    • Added Pelia Sector systems.
    • Final art and icon changes have been made to the galaxy map.
    • The Transwarp for “Fluid Dynamics” now takes the player to the correct location.
    • Resolved an issue where the player was placed in the incorrect location in Sector Space after completing the Federation tutorial.
    • Romulan players are now correctly placed outside of the Flotilla after completing the tutorial instead of Sol System.
    • Added landmarks to the edge of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants to indicate where players can access warp options to the other quadrant.
    • Fixed a typo in the Beta Quadrant where the option to warp to the Alpha Quadrant said, "Warp to Beta Quadrant".
    • Players will now need to be on the mission “Cage of Fire” to enter the TRD071944 system.
    • Resolved an issue where players would complete the first mission step of “Suspect” and still get the option to go to the first mission map.
    • Resolved an issue where players could accidentally start the mission over in the middle of “The Tribble with Klingons”.
    • Removed the Gamma Orionis Transwarp doors, and the Battlegroup Omega Transwarp Gate.
    • Resolved an issue where missions related to the Jouret Iconian Gateway was not sending people to the gateway.
    • Moved the Vespa system Out of the sun.
      • This should also substantially improve the weather in the system.
    • Increased the interact distance on the Door to the Borg Battlefield.
    • Resolved transwarp working incorrectly in the following episodes: Memory Lane, Enemy Action, Sleepers, Cloak and Dagger, Last Stand, The Best Defense, Turnabout, Devil's Choice, Second Star to the Right.
    • Galorndorn Core has been moved to the Narendra Sector, and Gamma Eridon has been moved to the H'atoria Sector.
    • Stars in Sector Space have been visually improved.
    • The contacts for moving to and from the Alpha and Beta Quadrants now correctly state which Quadrant the player is being sent to.
    • Adjusted planets in Sector Space to look better at farther distances.
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Traveling around the latest map, I made a few observations of my own.

I think it might be alright to correct the location of the Archer system. Currently located in the Narendra sector. There is enough evidence at Memory Alpha.org to indicate Star Charts got that location wrong. It's too far away from Sol. And would appear to suggest Federation space picks up again, way on the other side of both Klingon and Romulan territories. I'd suggest picking from Vulcan, Teneebia, Tellar or Deneb sector for the Archer system. This would free up Narendra sector to be mostly Klingon territory for any original worlds created by STO.

Where will Vega be placed now? Star Charts places it in what STO calls Denobula sector. Just north of Denobula Triaxia. This would, IMO, make the Borg attack from the tutorial more deep within the Alpha quadrant. Which, IMO, makes that threat more dramatic. However, the only canon info about Vega seems to indicate it should be located within vicinity of Organia. A planet most would agree is near the Klingon-Federation border. Suggesting Vega might be near the western side of Aldebaran or Ba'aja sector. In Beta quadrant.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    psiameese wrote: »
    Traveling around the latest map, I made a few observations of my own.

I think it might be alright to correct the location of the Archer system. Currently located in the Narendra sector. There is enough evidence at Memory Alpha.org to indicate Star Charts got that location wrong. It's too far away from Sol. And would appear to suggest Federation space picks up again, way on the other side of both Klingon and Romulan territories. I'd suggest picking from Vulcan, Teneebia, Tellar or Deneb sector for the Archer system. This would free up Narendra sector to be mostly Klingon territory for any original worlds created by STO.

Where will Vega be placed now? Star Charts places it in what STO calls Denobula sector. Just north of Denobula Triaxia. This would, IMO, make the Borg attack from the tutorial more deep within the Alpha quadrant. Which, IMO, makes that threat more dramatic. However, the only canon info about Vega seems to indicate it should be located within vicinity of Organia. A planet most would agree is near the Klingon-Federation border. Suggesting Vega might be near the western side of Aldebaran or Ba'aja sector. In Beta quadrant.
    If the reference in Generations holds, then Archer IV is in the right position, since Veridian was placed out past what this game calls the Tau dewa sector Block.
    -It has been explained that there are several systems called Archer, one of which being where the Star Trek Star Charts map and STO place it.
    Which makes sense, just as there's more than one Zefram Cochrane high school. Most system names are simplifications or nicknames of more complex stellar catalog names. If it's the only one in a sector block then no one is gonna question you calling it the Archer system instead of 61 Ursae Majoris.
    -Federation space DOES pick up on the other side of the Klingon and Romulan empires. Fed space goes north around the Romulan star empire and then comes back down around it. Basically encircling it. There are a number of starbases and handful of inhabited worlds, that appeared in one episode, over there. Here is the Star Chart's map that shows that Federation(blue) space exists on the other side. IF you look at the minimap in the top right hand corner, you will see fed space contiues over there, bordering almost the entire northern border of the klingon empire.
    http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/3267/startrekstarchart.jpg

-The devs have said vega will be kept where it is for the sake of the tutorial.

It doesn't loop around out the back towards the Delta Quadrant which is where the Romulans do most of their exploring and expansion, but it does go between Romulan and Klingon space, which I imagine is something that both powers find agreeable.

And as I mentioned Veridian is out there on the far Beta Quadrant side, so that area is where Star Trek Generations took place.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Isn't it odd that the Bajor sector is shown as Cardassian? It's Federation turf now, at least non-coloured if it is a mix of worlds?
  • fireseeedfireseeed Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    -It has been explained that there are several systems called Archer, one of which being where the Star Trek Star Charts map and STO place it.

-Federation space DOES pick up on the other side of the Klingon and Romulan empires. Fed space goes north around the Romulan star empire and then comes back down around it. Basically encircling it. There are a number of starbases and handful of inhabited worlds, that appeared in one episode, over there. Here is the Star Chart's map that shows that Federation(blue) space exists on the other side. IF you look at the minimap in the top right hand corner, you will see fed space contiues over there, bordering almost the entire northern border of the klingon empire.
    http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/3267/startrekstarchart.jpg

-The devs have said vega will be kept where it is for the sake of the tutorial.

That map can't be right, The Dominion Sent fleet through Romulan space in DS9 which is impossible given that the Romulan and Cardassian territory are on different sides of the Federation according to that map.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    fireseeed wrote: »
    That map can't be right, The Dominion Sent fleet through Romulan space in DS9 which is impossible given that the Romulan and Cardassian territory are on different sides of the Federation according to that map.

Possibly but i remember readinf in the dominion war novels and think it was referenced in the show as well that the dominion managed to take over a significant porton of federation space like betazed so it is possible that they managed to move info romulan space
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2015
    I doubt we will see Veridian. While it is one of the more famous worlds, due to being in a movie, the star charts place it in an area with VERY little around it. It would be like trying to map all the space all the way to cestus, there are like 3-4 canon worlds in that direction, and that is in a space the size of SEVERAL sectors.

That isn't even taking into account that the reason why the alpha and beta quads are separate maps is because they ran out of space, in regards to how large they could make a single map. Which makes mapping all the way out there impossible, even IF there was a lot of stuff there. However, there isn't a lot out in that direction, which makes it very undesirable in terms of mapping in-game.
    Is that true? I've never heard that.

The thing is they have no reason to add space that we're not going to use yet.

I'm hoping they're going to continue to add sectors to space in line blocks. So eventually in like Season 20 or something, we'll have a map big enough to actually have the Mutara sector in the right place, and travel to an Enterprise-D memorial at Veridian III (maybe not, it is a system inhabited by a pre-warp civilization.)
    They even explain it in the in-game system text.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Archer_System
    The Archer system is actually the second star system to have planets named for famed human explorer Jonathan Archer. The first, which is located in the 61 Ursae Majoris system, was the first M-class planet explored by the crew of the starship Enterprise in 2151.

In 2222, a venture company seeking to attract more settlers to the system named it Archer and flooded newsnets with advertisements calling for "real explorers". Several hundred people answered the call, and a small, unaffiliated colony was founded on Archer IV.
    fireseeed wrote: »
    That reference was always somewhat suspect on the writer's side. That would basically require Klingon, Federation, Starfleet, and Cardassian space to all intersect.

I'm a fan of the cluster theory of territory, which would allow a small portion Romulan space to be in the arena of Cardassian and Federation space that they could fly through. And also a portion of Klingon territory that the Klingons could attack the Romulans through that would account for the fact that by and large the primary territories of the Romulans and Klingons is on the far side of Federation territory from the Cardassian and Dominion War theaters.
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
    edited March 2015
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=22578451&postcount=121
    "I covered this in mor detail recently (before the Sector Space Blog), but basically, we run out of numbers. Putting A and B on one map would require more space than we can put in a single map. We had to split things up, and this was the most logical method."

Ah thank you.

Well that's been a standing thing I think. Hopefully there will be some tech advancements in the engine along the way that will extend what they can do. Either that or they'll add a new quadrant section in the future.

While they call it a quadrant it's still actually a sector block by the definition of sector block.
  • kyrtmalthornkyrtmalthorn Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Just checked this out on Tribble and spend some time flying around. Overall I'm liking it... But I have one main concern. I have seen remarkably few people even mention duty officers with regard to the new revamp. And they all seem to be overlooking one big factor...

With the old sector block system, those investing in DOffing were rewarded for traveling long distances by every sector block rolling for random assignments in the "current map" tab. I experimented with flying around numerous sectors in the new sector space, trying to refresh my "current map" tab, but I only ever saw the same assignments. And there were only like, 3 assignments?

Except once or twice I seemed to get a fuller list. But then as soon as I crossed a sector border, it went back to those same old 3 and I couldn't get the bigger list back even if I came back to the sector I had spotted them in.

Is this a bug?

Can we get some clarification on how the "current map" assignments will be rolled? Are there "regions" for this that just aren't working in Tribble right now, or are we being cut down to one current map each for Alpha and Beta quadrants, so there's no longer any point to traveling as a sector space Doffer?

Sector space "current map" assignments are my primary source of common through rare quality R&D crafting materials and most single maps only afforded me 1-3 missions that'd reward any.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2015
    Still coming with Season 10. . .
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Isn't it odd that the Bajor sector is shown as Cardassian? It's Federation turf now, at least non-coloured if it is a mix of worlds?

Here is an idea take this and run with it may be the next playable race will be Cardassian and you want to just keep the way it is because that's where they're going to be in a couple months
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Bajor may be a member of the Federation, but the sector - 20 light years across, remember - is largely Cardassian-dominated space.

I continue to stubbornly maintain that colouring the entire map is silly and misleading - nobody "owns" the massive swaths of deep space between systems. The only real territorial claims are systems themselves, and any diplomatically agreed-to borders like the Neutral Zones or old Cardassian DMZ.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • crichtonsrcrichtonsr Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Still coming with Season 10. . .

Is Seson 10 the same as Delta Recruitment?
    edited March 2015
    No, Season 10 is not launching with the Recruitment Event.
  • salacnar070890salacnar070890 Member Posts: 425 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    No, Season 10 is not launching with the Recruitment Event.

No its after the event (to give devs enough time to polish things up and such)
    Salacnar
    =/\=Priority One Armada=/\=
    32 | Introvert | ADD (W/O Hyperactivity) | He/Him | Hetro-Demisexual | 6’9” ft-in tall | Avatar by: foodcu_be | Gunpla | STO | Yu-Gi-Oh!
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Interesting.. I wonder if that is the result of all those layoffs, or if it was the original plan..

Either way, thanks for the heads up!
    edited March 2015
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Interesting.. I wonder if that is the result of all those layoffs, or if it was the original plan..

Either way, thanks for the heads up!

Layoffs did not affect the launch of S10.
    edited March 2015

I knew it i was only related to products made by PWE and not Cryptic

(if im wrong feel free to correct me)
    Salacnar
    32 | Introvert | ADD (W/O Hyperactivity) | He/Him | Hetro-Demisexual | 6’9” ft-in tall | Avatar by: foodcu_be | Gunpla | STO | Yu-Gi-Oh!
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I knew it i was only related to products made by PWE and not Cryptic

(if im wrong feel free to correct me)

Cryptic was hit by layoffs, however, STO seems to have only seen minor cuts. In fact, I can only say for sure that one STO developer was cut.
    edited March 2015
    Cryptic was hit by layoffs, however, STO seems to have only seen minor cuts. In fact, I can only say for sure that one STO developer was cut.

dont forget CaptainSmirk (or did he choose it for himself to go)
    Salacnar
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    dont forget CaptainSmirk (or did he choose it for himself to go)

Smirk and Trendy work for PWE, not Cryptic, so even if he was laid off it wouldn't impact development.
  • shinhwa1shinhwa1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If you are thinking about bringing up the layoffs again in this thread or any other please consider:

1) The people you are talking about are actual people with families to support who are now out of work;
    2) Those who remain behind were friends with those that were forced to leave;
    3) Those still at Cryptic may be under extra stress now wondering if there will be more layoffs and who will be included;
    4) Regardless of how effective you think they are, the people at Cryptic are good intentioned people who like to make video games and want to make the best game for you that they can;
    5) Many of those people have no choice but to read and respond in the forums because that is part of their job.

If you've ever been at a company where layoffs have happened, you know it is not a happy memory. Maybe best to stop bringing it up. Keep coming up with suggestions on how to improve the game by all means, but stop kicking the guys who are trying to deliver on all our dreams.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited March 2015

:eek: S10?....omg were getting flying pickups in season 10?....do we get a choice between standard and automatic or front ,rear or four wheel drive. :eek:
    edited March 2015
    jaturnley wrote: »
    Smirk and Trendy work for PWE, not Cryptic, so even if he was laid off it wouldn't impact development.

ah my mistake then
    Salacnar