Install Arc
Options

Primary Specialization - Pilot

Comments

• Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    Hold on, does this mean I can no longer have Pilot and Intel at the same time, or do I have the choice to accept half of one skill tree and the full version of the other?? I do not want to lose the combo I currently have.

"none of the existing abilities will be changing position or function in any significant manner."

This doesn't quite add up. What really matters is if rock and roll is in tier 2 or 3. You would think they would make it so it's in tier 2 but I wouldn't be surprised to see it in tier 3 also.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    pennylong wrote: »
    So instead of command/pilot or intel/pilot we have to use pilot/commando?

Why change that?

No, it says that you can choose a primary as a secondary, so you'll be able to do Command/Intel, or keep Command/Pilot
    edited March 2015
    interesting or not, i don't care. i'm not interested by the spec points

i'm more interested by the new episode; spec skills are just gadgets
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Even if you're careful and only slot doff assignments that require 4-5 doffs AND you use VR doffs, it still takes a lot of work to gain a single damn spec point.

I doff religiously and get about 1 point a week, doing my best to pick the best assignments. This is now logging in 3 times a day to doff to try and get some points before it goes away. If I happen to get crits on some of the 12 hour missions I can get maybe 1.5 points a week. Kdf, yes, I can see getting 2 points a week there with a good % of 12 hour crits.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Oh this should work out well for me.

I've put a lot more points into the Pilot tree than either Intel or Command. It'll be great to switch them around so Pilot is primary and Intel is secondary.

Good job on this one Cryptic.
  • Options
    grimjax69grimjax69 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think this would be a prime time to make Universal Bridge officer slots allow us to slot specialization bridge officers and use the specialization abilities.

If this is too much of a giveaway let us buy specialization upgrade tokens that allow us to turn a bridge officer slot into a specialization slot. Otherwise you have turned all the older ships into junk.

Players are starting to get upset that their hard earned T5_U ships are starting to become obsolete despite what we were told originally. I have no problem with Cryptic making money, I just think there are better ways of doing it without making our older stuff gimped in comparison. Selling Specialization upgrade tokens could help with that.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hrmmm, T4 Intel and T2 Command...interesting.

Destabilizing Emitters and Tachyon Charges...wheeeeee. Space Flanking, Shoddy Engineering, Unprotected Systems, Intelligence Fleet, Expose Weakness, Violent Detonations, and Superfluous Emitters...wheeeee. Really wheeeee? Nah, not really...but I'm trying to be positive.
  • Options
    revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    T6 Pilot BoP GOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I like the part where it says well received...

I would like them to name one person who actually likes it lol.

Yeah xp grind that eliminates gameplay of alts pretty much pushed me away from sto as a final straw that broke the camels back. Plus like bops with an iconian war are already inferior to the other ships out there with all the power creep being those have always been my favorite trek ships I could care less about this top gun online grind.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Interesting.

Suggests that they'll be expanding Commando at some point down the road.

I like it. It's another way to differentiate my alts from each other. They may suggest some interesting backstories and personalities.

Intel/Command
    Intel/Commando [Ground focus]
    Commando/Intel [Ground focus]
    Command/Commando [Ground focus]
    Commando/Command [Ground focus]
    Command/Pilot [Space focus]
    Pilot/Command [Space focus]
    Pilot/Intel [Space focus]
    Intel/Pilot [Space focus]

Now if only we can earn those spec points a wee bit faster...
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    commodoreobviouscommodoreobvious Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I like the part where it says well received...

I would like them to name one person who actually likes it lol.

I like this. I liked the idea when borticus brought it up a while ago.

I get 2-3 spec points a week on my main, mostly from doffs, and I've almost filled out Command and piloting was done a while back. Now, I can flip between the two, or keep command as my main and run up intelligence as my secondary. More options = better.

I don't know if I'll get to commando, though.
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    What astounds me is that reputation traits were limited to 4 at a time as Cryptic thought the gap between max level players with and without all of the traits unlocked was too wide.

Now Cryptic is adding even more things that widen the gap between long term max level players and new max level players.

Am I the only one that sees the irony of this?
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    What astounds me is that reputation traits were limited to 4 at a time as Cryptic thought the gap between max level players with and without all of the traits unlocked was too wide.

Now Cryptic is adding even more things that widen the gap between long term max level players and new max level players.

Am I the only one that sees the irony of this?

What gap?

Player A can slot 30/15.
    Player B can slot 30/15.
    Player Z can slot 30/15.

Even if each one from A to Z ends up with a different Primary and Secondary...it's still 30/15.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    There is no guarantee that every Captain specialization also will have a Bridge Officer specialization. That is not to say it won't happen, but I would not assume it's automatic.
    Does this mean its no longer secondary and I will have pick between it and command? i
    Read the blog.

You can slot Primaries as Secondary in Season 10, meaing you have access to the first two tiers of the specialization.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Players will probably be relieved to hear that nothing they have already earned within the Pilot Specialization will be undergoing radical changes
    ~LaughingTrendy

To be honest, considering the track record of things at late, I'd be more relieved if you were to tell me that what I have already earned wasn't undergoing ANY changes beyond just expanding them.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Danger Zone
    For each Foe within 2km, gain a 2% Damage Bonus. Stacks up to 10 times.
    Wing Man
    “Danger Zone” now also counts Friends within 2km.

..and the power creep train keeps rolling..

Overall, this seems like a nice restructuring for specializations.. but it brings some confusion about the nature of hybrid bridge seats and ships with specialization themselves. Hybrid seats are going to start getting really, really muddy at this rate if they're not made more.. universal.
  • Options
    tamujiintamujiin Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Cryptic, i love you.

I like it. So do about 1,000 other people i know.

Keep taking the game in this direction. Do not listen to these crabby kids who don't know what this means for "customization".

Bring out a specialization respec though, or tie it to a respec.

The game is pretty balanced until yer end game and have everything anyway, and this takes just about the right amount of time to push you over that "hey, i am OP look at me" threshold.

Good work in finding the balance Cryptic. Keep it up!

- This is for all you pro's.

The New pilot Primary is obviously designed so you can pug things again, at least in advanced. No one should be pugging elite still. That should still take some form of knowledge to complete with a build.

Look at Scratch the paint. That is designed for NOOBS who tend to do that a lot.

Nobody is loosing anything making this secondary a primary, as well as making the other two secondary slottable, at tier 1 and 2.

Instead you can tell people who have issues, with said problems, each specialization ability "fixes" to slot for pilot.

Cryptic would be unwise to not come out with a respec for specializations at this point.
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2015
    tamujiin wrote: »
    Cryptic would be unwise to not come out with a respec for specializations at this point.

We still have no plans or intentions to release Specialization Respecs. You can earn as many Specialization Points as there are abilities to purchase, so there is no such thing as a choice that cannot be corrected by earning another point.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So...We wont be able to use Pilot AND Intel/Command?

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    sthraxpwesthraxpwe Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    What gap?

Player A can slot 30/15.
    Player B can slot 30/15.
    Player Z can slot 30/15.

Even if each one from A to Z ends up with a different Primary and Secondary...it's still 30/15.

That is not what he means. Reps traits were limited because a new lvl 50 would be at a disadvantage to a vet who had all the reps at T5- Cryptic told us that was bad for the game. The disparity the spec system introduced was far worse- a fresh-faced lvl 60 is a a much worse disadvantage compared to a full 30/15 vet. With these changes, vets will have a significant advantage in flexibility, as well as power, over new lvl 60. Being able to focus you spec on either space only or ground only with the flip of a toggle is very powerful, and furthers separates the new from the vet, something they EXPLICITLY said was a bad thing.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    So...We wont be able to use Pilot AND Intel/Command?

You can still use them together. And now you will be able to choose which is Primary and which is Secondary, instead of having that choice made for you.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    finsches123finsches123 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    T6 Pilot BoP GOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes! Yes! Yes!
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Most interesting. Looking forward to see the pilot skills in the future blogs. And i am guessing some new ships with Pilot boff seatting are coming :)

One question, "Wing Man" will count for pets aswell? As in both hangar pets or separation/summoned pets? Or just team mates? Would be nice if it did for pets too since carriers would be gratful for some TLC.
  • Options
    zen72zen72 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why do you always have to TRIBBLE with something that isn't broke?? Ya keep jacking skills and traits around. You are TRIBBLE the players that enjoy ground more then space.
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    All that really matters is if Rock and Roll will be available at T2, and just loses the bonuses that R&R gets after use unless equipped as a Primary.

Because otherwise, this is a relatively worthless change.
  • Options
    lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The existing Pilot Secondary Specialization has been very well-received since the launch of Delta Rising. Its focus on allowing players to push the upper limits of their starships’ maneuverability, and the addition of fun and exciting abilities.

We're pleased to announce that with the launch of Season 10, the Pilot Specialization will be expanded into a Primary Specialization!

~LaughingTrendy

Yay! I can have conn boffs! So could the next specialization be something new though?
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    All that really matters is if Rock and Roll will be available at T2, and just loses the bonuses that R&R gets after use unless equipped as a Primary.

Incorrect. Both "Magic Carpet Ride" and "All Shook Up" are within Tier 2, and will remain available if Pilot is slotted as Secondary.

Nobody will be losing access to anything they've already earned/unlocked with this change.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You can still use them together. And now you will be able to choose which is Primary and which is Secondary, instead of having that choice made for you.

What about the Commando tree? Will it become a Primary too?
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Nobody will be losing access to anything they've already earned/unlocked with this change.

I just got a knot in my stomach.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I've never put anything into the primary stuff anyway, since those skills never interested me. With this, I wont have to keep remembering to switch Commando/Pilot between missions, I can just have the pair active. So I'm happy.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'