Install Arc
Options

Primary Specialization - Pilot

Comments

• Options
    dheffernandheffernan Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    tamujiin wrote: »
    The rush to get the specialization points, lol.....

Who said anything about a "rush"? You even admit yourself that they take too long to get.
    I am not gonna sit here on the forums complaining about something, that is fricken epic fun to play around with, when i get it.

It might be fun when you get it, but that won't be for a while....
    "i dont want to pay money"

Who said that? I said I won't buy XP boosts.

That's disingenuous though since I don't spend money on the game...any more. I was a subscriber until fairly recently. I went to silver because of things like this. What they're doing with spec points is no different than what those horrible free-to-play-no-not-really mobile games do: the game reaches a point where everything is either too difficult or time consuming to do without spending money, usually far more than the game is worth. I'm not going to pay to get the rate of XP gain to where it should have been in the first place.
    Well then, make 3 toons, put contraband on yer alts, and turn yer 24,000 dilithium into zen, and start buying boosts.

Yeah, thanks for the tutorial, I know how the exchange works. Buying XP boosts that way is still buying them.
    @Venture-1. @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that. Yes, that Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. You'll have to be specific; for me it was Tuesday.
  • Options
    p4hajujup4hajuju Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I just hope that the current Tier 1 & 2 stay the same as well as the trait. So Tier 3 & 4 would be only new stuff.

And the same when they do the this to Commando.
    Galavant!
    "Use Temporal Skills to NERF EVERYTHING before it happened!" -Unknown source.
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So your changing game rules again. Will we be able to reselect currently spend spec points as a result of that change or may we just have to live with it and grind accordingly in response ma’am?

The latter I would speculate.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Now we just need separate specialization settings for ground and space, so we don't have to manually switch them every time we do a mission.
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Did you even read the Dev Blog? These changes open up new options, without removing or altering anything you can currently do.

Ahhh, but the article says, an I quote: "Players will probably be relieved to hear that nothing they have already earned within the Pilot Specialization will be undergoing radical changes". That means changes can occur, as long as they aren't radical. Which means that we could have changes that range from 'minor' to 'extreme'.

(Some) People here are petrified by these little openings you leave yourselves in the blog posts.
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    reximuz wrote: »
    Yes, this is exactly the point of the system, and by not grinding it you are doing it as it was intended. It's not meant to be fast and easy to fill, it's meant to keep "levels" earned past cap from going into oblivion and to act as an alternate means of character advancement. This is also the reason gear upgrades past MK XIV Purple are so steep.

"But I have to max them all out, immediately, to be uber! So I can get back to complaining how there's nothing to do at the cap!"
    :rolleyes:
    warpangel wrote: »
    Now we just need separate specialization settings for ground and space, so we don't have to manually switch them every time we do a mission.

My gut feeling is that such a thing doesn't exist for the same reason that you're forced to put a certain percentage of your points into ground skills: they don't really want you to do that. They want you to run a hybrid build, for ground and space, rather than optimizing for each. The inconvenience of switching is a disincentive to do so, and will not be removed.
  • Options
    dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited March 2015
    gonalius wrote: »
    Ahhh, but the article says, an I quote: "Players will probably be relieved to hear that nothing they have already earned within the Pilot Specialization will be undergoing radical changes". That means changes can occur, as long as they aren't radical. Which means that we could have changes that range from 'minor' to 'extreme'.

(Some) People here are petrified by these little openings you leave yourselves in the blog posts.

I have now slotted Intel as primary and Pilot as secondary.If I leave them as they are now after the change new points above level II won't be usable

"Additionally, we will from now on be allowing any Primary Specialization to be slotted as a Secondary, for the purposes of choosing which abilities are active. This includes the existing Intelligence Officer and Command Officer Specializations. When a Primary Specialization is slotted as Secondary, you will gain the full benefits of any abilities you have purchased from Tier 1 and Tier 2.
    "

I don't understand why should I grind more Pilot specialization points if I can't use them beyond tier 2 .............
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
  • Options
    kyhas1kyhas1 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    tarikla wrote: »
    I have one question :

Let's say i get 30 points on Intel spec,unlocking the ship trait. Do i keep the trait if i put intel as secondary or not ?

I would hazard to say you would keep the points you have spent, but you will not be able to slot that trait unless you re set intel back to primary.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    kyhas1 wrote: »
    I would hazard to say you would keep the points you have spent, but you will not be able to slot that trait unless you re set intel back to primary.

You can use the intel trait without having intel set as anything.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    hfmudd wrote: »
    My gut feeling is that such a thing doesn't exist for the same reason that you're forced to put a certain percentage of your points into ground skills: they don't really want you to do that. They want you to run a hybrid build, for ground and space, rather than optimizing for each. The inconvenience of switching is a disincentive to do so, and will not be removed.
    The inconvenience of switching is an incentive to focus on whichever you play more or need more help with and ignore the other completely.
  • Options
    ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    More and expanded abilities is all well and good, but we need more places to use all this. Hopefully the Delta recruitment system will address that.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Not to be negative, but... as a ground-specced... this comes as a disappointment, if Commando doesn't get upped into Primary as well. :(

Very much this, might as well make every tree a potential primary if the idea behind the trees has changed now, certainly gives more options with less trees that way.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm not chasing this game until a more reliable way of earning points is provided .

... this is how you turn a non-causal player into a casual ...
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    I'm not chasing this game until a more reliable way of earning points is provided .

... this is how you turn a non-causal player into a casual ...

These changes are coming too hot and heavy and it's made rational planning for people who don't have unlimited grind time impossible.

My only choice as a casual player is to now ignore them completely, continue playing the game mainly with Doffing and an event now and then (likely not the Delta recruitment event as that one will take too much time) and wait for Star Citizen to replace this horrid mass of bugs and changing goal posts.

And until this week I was really into the again too. That lasted what? Less than a month.
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    From Tribble Notes:

Captain Specialization Tree: Pilot
    The Pilot Specialization has been expanded to include a Tier 3 and Tier 4 to make it a full primary specialization.
    The Pilot Specialization continues to focus on adding abilities to space combat and maneuvering.
    The expansion to Tier 3 and Tier 4 will add 7 new abilities as well as upgrades for these abilities for a total of 15 additional abilities to purchase.
    The cap on Captain Specialization Points has been increased by 15 to accommodate these new additions.
    Currently purchased abilities in the Pilot Specialization will not be altered or removed.

What is missing is an explanation to what will happen to players that have 10 points in Intelligence, and part of those points are in Pilot, after the split. The rule is that if you want to give any of your normal Boffs the Intel Specialization then you must have 10 points in that specialization. After the split, this will not be the fact for those that have placed the first 10 points into Intelligence (since it was the only specialization for the first few months). Get to grinding or make your Intel Boffs today becuause tomorrow is to late. :eek:
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    How about a Top Gun 3-Pack featuring a T6 Defiant, B'Rel, and T'Varo? Mind you, the BoP still desperately needs improvements to match the other two ship classes, but that selection would allow players that want their canon ships to have that option... and those are exactly the set that come to mind when I think of Piloting.

Oh, and along with bringing the B'Rel up to snuff... how about a 2-piece set bonus for the Defiant that grants a battle cloak if both the T6 Gimmick Console and Console - Cloaking Device are slotted? That would help bring the Defiant into closer competition to a T'Varo or improved B'Rel.
    To be perfectly honest I'd prefer if they upgraded the Hegh'ta instead of the B'Rel, I'm a huge fan of John Eaves work there and she's a beauty to me. I wouldn't be opposed to either as long as the skin was available for both (or rather a skin in that design lineage).

The real question though is how should the Defiant compete? The Defiant is a pocket battleship, a flying tank. The T'varo is a stealth fighter and the B'Rel is a fast attack stealth gunship. The Defiant is designed to be able to hang in a fire fight, the T'Varo is a hit and fade away style, and the B'Rel is a raid harassment attacker designed to tear its opponent apart before it can counter. They're three different styles overall though the B'Rel and T'Varo are pretty close together in capability.

that made me lol. a lot. i was cackling like Mark Hamill's Joker
    That's quite the impressive cackle.
    dova25 wrote: »
    I have now slotted Intel as primary and Pilot as secondary.If I leave them as they are now after the change new points above level II won't be usable

"Additionally, we will from now on be allowing any Primary Specialization to be slotted as a Secondary, for the purposes of choosing which abilities are active. This includes the existing Intelligence Officer and Command Officer Specializations. When a Primary Specialization is slotted as Secondary, you will gain the full benefits of any abilities you have purchased from Tier 1 and Tier 2.
    "

I don't understand why should I grind more Pilot specialization points if I can't use them beyond tier 2 .............

Well if you're not going to use Pilot as a primary then don't put any points into it, continue on business as usual, this won't apply to you.

I don't understand why it is assumed that one must use every change that comes along. If you don't want to max out Pilot then don't. If you're not going to use it then the only benefit is the starship trait when you max it out, and the ability to train BOFFs in the abilities...and I think everyone who has Pilot maxed out at tier 2 will automatically be able to train their BOFFs in it anyway (though not the top tier abilities).
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    From Tribble Notes:

Captain Specialization Tree: Pilot
    The Pilot Specialization has been expanded to include a Tier 3 and Tier 4 to make it a full primary specialization.
    The Pilot Specialization continues to focus on adding abilities to space combat and maneuvering.
    The expansion to Tier 3 and Tier 4 will add 7 new abilities as well as upgrades for these abilities for a total of 15 additional abilities to purchase.
    The cap on Captain Specialization Points has been increased by 15 to accommodate these new additions.
    Currently purchased abilities in the Pilot Specialization will not be altered or removed.

What is missing is an explanation to what will happen to players that have 10 points in Intelligence, and part of those points are in Pilot, after the split. The rule is that if you want to give any of your normal Boffs the Intel Specialization then you must have 10 points in that specialization. After the split, this will not be the fact for those that have placed the first 10 points into Intelligence (since it was the only specialization for the first few months). Get to grinding or make your Intel Boffs today becuause tomorrow is to late. :eek:

What are you talking about? Your points aren't being reallocated AT ALL.

There is no split. Intelligence is only receiving one general change. As a Primary specialization you will now be allowed to use it as a secondary. When used as a secondary only the first two tiers of abilities will be active. If you want all four tiers then slot it as a primary. Slotting it as a secondary does not erase the points above the second tier that you've unlocked, just as switching out a weapon does not remove it from your inventory.

Pilot is getting upgraded to a full primary specialization meaning that it will receive two additional tiers of abilities to unlock.

It's just like Reputation. You don't lose levels in a Reputation because you started leveling another one.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    kanonistiskanonistis Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The existing Pilot Secondary Specialization has been very well-received since the launch of Delta Rising. Its focus on allowing players to push the upper limits of their starships’ maneuverability, and the addition of fun and exciting abilities.

We're pleased to announce that with the launch of Season 10, the Pilot Specialization will be expanded into a Primary Specialization!

~LaughingTrendy

My Fleet Vote (rest of active members) for the new changings during this is: 8 for "No thanks" and 1 for "yes i want"

Most of us has finished the Pilot yes but, we have not finished Intelligence and you Guys bring NEW Specialization out the "Command"! We even havent beginn the "Commando" and you Guys planing the next extension with 30 more points!

This we will not support.

If you Guys would bring the Specializations every year a new one then we could accept cause this need many, many time to take 1 point! To finish a Specialization with 30 points, a player needs (depends how many hours he play with that Character) he need a half year-1 Year. In additional any new Specializations, makes the player to despair and they will never come back to Star Trek GrindFarm Online!
    Fleet Leader: Hellenic Space Force
    Characters FED: TAC Ponos - TAC Tromos - ENG Athena - ROM TAC Phovos - SCI Martyrium - REM Apatros
    Fleet: La Familia: SCI Stave
    KDF Fleet: Syndicate of Shadows: ENG Sha'Kal

• Options
    amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well, this thread has confirmed something that I've suspected ever since I started playing this game: some people will complain about literally any change that doesn't cater specifically to them or their playstyle.

My apologies in advance for this rant to anyone who is not actually complaining--this isn't aimed at you. I am just so completely fed up with the knee-jerk tsunami of self-centered, entitled whining that goes up whenever some new toy or feature is announced. It's one thing to complain about not being given something that you were actually promised, like the free upgrade of the JHAS--that was totally legitimate.

But this change takes nothing away from anyone. All it does is expand the number of options you have for how you build your character.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a basic courtesy to offer a free respec whenever you make a major change to the spec trees. And I can absolutely sympathize with the people concerned about how this will affect PvP balance, even though I don't play it myself.

But PvE players like me? You're being offered new functionality which you don't even have to use, and all you can complain about is how this is going to "force" you to grind more, or how your existing spec points are "wasted".

Guess what? No one is forcing you to grind for something that didn't exist before. And complaining now that points you've already spent are "wasted" is like complaining that you wasted money on last year's model of car after a new model is announced. This is an MMO. There is always going to be something new to grind for.

The most serious dilemma with this change for any PvE player is that you now have the option of using secondary abilities as primary, and the option of a new place to spend any points you earn going forward. Like your build the way it is? Don't want to change it? Then don't!

Good grief.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • Options
    kajofolfkajofolf Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    We still have no plans or intentions to release Specialization Respecs. You can earn as many Specialization Points as there are abilities to purchase, so there is no such thing as a choice that cannot be corrected by earning another point.

Wow, just wow.... one of the stupidest things I've seen a developer say as of late.

Of course there's a need for respec. Not everyone likes to play Star Grind Online 24/7, so not everyone has tons of points to spend on this oh so great new system.

Some only have 10-20 points altogether and really would like to reallocate them to different Specs.

Oh an amezuki, go White-knighting somewhere else where someone actually cares.
  • Options
    birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    amezuki wrote: »
    Well, this thread has confirmed something that I've suspected ever since I started playing this game: some people will complain about literally any change that doesn't cater specifically to them or their playstyle.

My apologies in advance for this rant to anyone who is not actually complaining--this isn't aimed at you. I am just so completely fed up with the knee-jerk tsunami of self-centered, entitled whining that goes up whenever some new toy or feature is announced. It's one thing to complain about not being given something that you were actually promised, like the free upgrade of the JHAS--that was totally legitimate.

But this change takes nothing away from anyone. All it does is expand the number of options you have for how you build your character.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a basic courtesy to offer a free respec whenever you make a major change to the spec trees. And I can absolutely sympathize with the people concerned about how this will affect PvP balance, even though I don't play it myself.

But PvE players like me? You're being offered new functionality which you don't even have to use, and all you can complain about is how this is going to "force" you to grind more, or how your existing spec points are "wasted".

Guess what? No one is forcing you to grind for something that didn't exist before. And complaining now that points you've already spent are "wasted" is like complaining that you wasted money on last year's model of car after a new model is announced. This is an MMO. There is always going to be something new to grind for.

The most serious dilemma with this change for any PvE player is that you now have the option of using secondary abilities as primary, and the option of a new place to spend any points you earn going forward. Like your build the way it is? Don't want to change it? Then don't!

Good grief.

^^ This

There are so many people complaining about something and if they took a moment to actually read the blog their questions would of been answered. This will allow much greater diversity in builds by using any two specializations. What really interests me is what pilot bridge officer abilities will be introduced now.
  • Options
    captainfelidaecaptainfelidae Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So I picked to put points into the Space side of Intel as my Primary and Pilot as my secondry, This change means I'm going to have to choose between the two of them and not have them both at the same time?
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So I picked to put points into the Space side of Intel as my Primary and Pilot as my secondry, This change means I'm going to have to choose between the two of them and not have them both at the same time?

Nah, doesn't mean that. You can keep flying the way you are...or you could even make Pilot your Primary and Intel your Secondary if you wanted to do so. This isn't taking away from you...it's giving you more options.

Current

Command/Commando
    Command/Pilot
    Intel/Commando
    Intel/Pilot

Future (S10)

Command/Commando
    Command/Intel
    Command/Pilot
    Intel/Command
    Intel/Commando
    Intel/Pilot
    Pilot/Command
    Pilot/Commando (er...yeah, about that one...heh, it would still be a possibility though)
    Pilot/Intel
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Nah, doesn't mean that. You can keep flying the way you are...or you could even make Pilot your Primary and Intel your Secondary if you wanted to do so. This isn't taking away from you...it's giving you more options.

Current

Command/Commando
    Command/Pilot
    Intel/Commando
    Intel/Pilot

Future (S10)

Command/Commando
    Command/Intel
    Command/Pilot
    Intel/Command
    Intel/Commando
    Intel/Pilot
    Pilot/Command
    Pilot/Commando (er...yeah, about that one...heh, it would still be a possibility though)
    Pilot/Intel
    I'm waiting to see what the results of making Commando a primary will be. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm waiting to see what the results of making Commando a primary will be. :D

But there's no ship they can sell for that! Does that mean at some point we'll get ground vehicles??? ;) :P

edit: I'd forgotten they'd talked about doing a remake of that. Ugh, why can't they remake movies from 50-60+ years ago - instead of remaking stuff that I saw that leaves me feeling old. :(
  • Options
    cbob312cbob312 Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Come on man you're making hard to be smart about building a character.

Also this means you HAVE to expand the Commando spec.
  • Options
    shepard31shepard31 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The ability to respec would be greatly appreciated. Even though you can indeed earn enough points to fill every specialization, that's going to take a really long time unless you devote massive amounts of time to pure XP grinding.

I'm not particularly impressed by the Intel specialization, but I filled most of it out anyway because it was the only Primary there. I'd much prefer to transfer my points form Intel to Command, because it will take months for me to get Command to reach the same level as Intel.
    [2:52:49 AM] Magic Odd Effect: Dancer and the Dickslaps
    [2:52:52 AM] Magic Odd Effect: what a band name

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    namreefnamreef Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    grimjax69 wrote: »
    I think this would be a prime time to make Universal Bridge officer slots allow us to slot specialization bridge officers and use the specialization abilities.

If this is too much of a giveaway let us buy specialization upgrade tokens that allow us to turn a bridge officer slot into a specialization slot. Otherwise you have turned all the older ships into junk.

Players are starting to get upset that their hard earned T5_U ships are starting to become obsolete despite what we were told originally. I have no problem with Cryptic making money, I just think there are better ways of doing it without making our older stuff gimped in comparison. Selling Specialization upgrade tokens could help with that.

Good idea. They could call it 'Specialization Retrofit Modules' or something.
  • Options
    spookpwaspookpwa Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    More specialization? :confused:

Are you by any chance planning to rename the game to PCO (Power Creep Online)?

Guess you will have to increase difficulty on advanced even more then so it fits your metrics and to make sure no new player ever play them. :rolleyes:
    Double_e23652_217093.jpg

A test server is supposed to be used to properly test patches before patching anything....
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    The only thing I don't like about this change, is that part of what made this my favourite tree to go for was that it was so much less daunting because it only needed 15 points to fill out... The thought of getting all the points needed to fill out a primary tree is far too daunting for me to be interested. Please fix this grind.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!