test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Primary Specialization - Pilot

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Galactic News Network [PC]
The existing Pilot Secondary Specialization has been very well-received since the launch of Delta Rising. Its focus on allowing players to push the upper limits of their starships’ maneuverability, and the addition of fun and exciting abilities.

We're pleased to announce that with the launch of Season 10, the Pilot Specialization will be expanded into a Primary Specialization!

~LaughingTrendy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~LaughingTrendy
  • Options
    abfabfleetabfabfleet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    And Trendy, where is Smirk?
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Scratch the paint might be useful.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sounds interesting.
    hypl wrote: »
    Moderated post

You've read the restriction - ony Tier 1 to Tier 2 abilities. So things don't really change much, except that an old primary specialization might keep its usefulness to you if you move on to a new one.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    pwefailpwefail Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    why was this deemed to be needed ? i don't have a single character maxed out and you're moving the goalposts again.sigh.

complaints about Delta Grinding incoming.
    The player formerly known as Chunter.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Not to be negative, but... as a ground-specced... this comes as a disappointment, if Commando doesn't get upped into Primary as well. :(
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    pwefail wrote: »
    why was this deemed to be needed ? i don't have a single character maxed out and you're moving the goalposts again.sigh.

complaints about Delta Grinding incoming.

Slowpoke. With doffing and normal play you can get at least 3 specialization points each week.
    Play a little more intensive and you grab 5-7 each week.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Not to be negative, but... as a ground-specced... this comes as a disappointment, if Commando doesn't get upped into Primary as well. :(

That might be next on the docket.

Though I'm curious with this, if we can train our Bridge Officers to use Pilot Specialization, what ships can we use it on?
  • Options
    blessedladyboyblessedladyboy Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    this is a great idea! Awesome thanks!!
  • Options
    birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I remember this idea was mentioned in the Tribble notes a while back, I'm glad they are implementing it this way. Also means I can save my points til this goes live. I can't wait, I love the pilot tree.t
  • Options
    sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited March 2015

It probably will be. I have more points in that than Intel and Pilot combined, but I can't see it happening before Season 10 goes live. On the plus side, it means I can have some of my many tac boffs becoming awesome "pilots". Maverick, stand aside... *cue Top Gun theme* :cool:
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • Options
    giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    Slowpoke. With doffing and normal play you can get at least 3 specialization points each week.

3 points a week? What are you doing? I doff and do a few missions every day and barely get 1 point every 2 weeks :/

I dont use commando... at all, but I do see the need to be fair. It would really suck if it doesnt get turned to primary as well. For the people who like it anyway.
    edited March 2015
    The existing Pilot Secondary Specialization has been very well-received since the launch of Delta Rising. Its focus on allowing players to push the upper limits of their starships’ maneuverability, and the addition of fun and exciting abilities.

We're pleased to announce that with the launch of Season 10, the Pilot Specialization will be expanded into a Primary Specialization!

~LaughingTrendy

This is a great idea. So far I've not put any points into Command, because it'd be so far behind Intelligence (which I have 26 point in) that it wouldn't be worthwhile using it.

Having the option to slot Command as a secondary will mean it can be useful much earlier than it otherwise would be.

Good change!

-K
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I only have one thing to say about this

DANGER ZOOOOOOOONE!
  • Options
    seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Alright, I'm gonna be blunt on this one.

I have no problems with pilot being extended, however once again you are making me choose between now 4 primary specializations, 3 if you count the ones that give space benefits.

With the ludicrous amount of XP (150K+) to just earn one point of these spec points, how is anyone who isn't tied to their desk 24/7 and working a job supposed to remotely keep up with this? Cut down the spec points XP requirement by AT LEAST 50% and this might be more useful to the average player.

It doesn't help you can only use on these at a time, especially on a toon with a specialized build. My engineer doesn't need pilot necessarily, but he spent a good 15 points in it since there was nothing else in the secondaries that was relevant for him. Now thats wasted, because there is no way I'm not using Command Officer with him.

Honestly, if you want to minimize the PR damage you just seemed to have caused, I would recommend a single free respec of these every time you make a big change like this or add a new specialization. I have 5 points spent in Intelligence I will never need again since Command Officer came around.

Without respecs, spending these points is a giant waste of time and effort because a week later a new specialization may come out that is better for your toon, so you start all over.

As far as I'm concerned, I just lost 15 spec points because of this, because I don't want or need to switch to pilot and I cannot re-allocate them. This gives alt-unfriendlyness a new level.

What rubbish.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ..."and none of the existing abilities will be changing position or function in any significant manner."

why i just have to think of "t6 capabilities"?! :rolleyes:

though, if not like in "capabilites" it's a good change (if done right!)...
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Does this mean its no longer secondary and I will have pick between it and command? if thats the case then what secondary options would we have?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    drreverend wrote: »
    That might be next on the docket.

Though I'm curious with this, if we can train our Bridge Officers to use Pilot Specialization, what ships can we use it on?

Definitely he next lockbox ship set
    Definitely the next C-store ship set
    Possibly the next event ship
    Maybe tier 6 fleet ships

At least that's been the pattern. They introduced intel, and then stuck it on the bulk of the DR ships and the first available C-store, lockbox, and event ships. They introduced command, and stuck it on the next lockbox, event, and C-store ships.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    So instead of coming up with something useful for science captains (Because all of these are speed, DPS and tanking), you just take an existing specialization, which has just increased speed power creep and gave us R&R which makes vapers hit and be immune every minute, and cram it with more junk. Then to top it off, you decide it's too much work to come up with new secondary specializations, so you just make primary ones slottable in secondary slots. Let me guess, next announcement after S10 hits is that you're expanding the command specialization to be a primary also.

And to add to the pain, you increase the spec point grind to new heights. Then you wonder why people are complaining so much.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Does this mean its no longer secondary and I will have pick between it and command? if thats the case then what secondary options would we have?

You can have either as primary or secondary. If you slot a primary as secondary, then you only get the first two tiers of abilities.
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited March 2015

I'm guessing you did not read the dev blog? Short version. Primarys will be able to be slotted into secondary slots. Specs in the secondary slot will have their tier 1 and tier 2 powers active
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Would it kill you guys to make the normal XP gains what they are during double XP weekends? At least at that rate is mildly bearable. It still takes about 10 rounds of successful advanced PvE runs to grind a single spec points on bonus weekends.
  • Options
    robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    questerius wrote: »

Would you like to grid specialization points for my toons? You seem to be very efficient at it. :)
  • Options
    birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Please read the blog, now ANY two specializations can be used as a primary or secondary. We still have access to two at a time but with much greater variety.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    gilion wrote: »
    3 points a week? What are you doing? I doff and do a few missions every day and barely get 1 point every 2 weeks :/

You need to be slotting the high experience doff missions. I get at least 2 points a week, and can get almost a point a day on double xp weekends.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Already running out of spec ideas huh?

Also hint, Piloting was 'well received' because there are only 2 secondaries and very few people give a TRIBBLE about ground.

(Also, ++ to what Lucho said)
  • Options
    ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    That just made me laugh so hard because of how many times me and my friends get so pissed off after working so hard to not die against hard NPCs, only to die from a Warp Core breech! XD

BTW, how exactly does the Crystalline Entity have that capability when it explodes? :P
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited March 2015

~LaughingTrendy

Hold on, does this mean I can no longer have Pilot and Intel at the same time, or do I have the choice to accept half of one skill tree and the full version of the other?? I do not want to lose the combo I currently have.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    swamarian wrote: »
    You need to be slotting the high experience doff missions. I get at least 2 points a week, and can get almost a point a day on double xp weekends.

Even if you're careful and only slot doff assignments that require 4-5 doffs AND you use VR doffs, it still takes a lot of work to gain a single damn spec point.