test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

say something positive about worf

deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Ten Forward
Worf was a ship commander, say something positive about him.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,048 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Which Worf? The one who defended Kirk and McCoy or the one we all know from TNG?

He discovered a Warrior's Drink... Prune Juice. :D
    Also... Jadzia Dax... :o
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    the one on tng and ds9 of course :D

he discovered that meeleing a borg is pretty effective
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    He had head wrinkles that could change with the wind.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    theredcomettheredcomet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    He was the only klingon less likely to kill you on sight.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,048 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    He was the only klingon less likely to kill you on sight.

Actually... not entirely accurate, as Chancillor Gorkon was pretty friendly when he met Captain Kirk.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    He hooked up with all the hottest women in the show and kicked some major Borg rear.

That's enough for me.
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    He was WITH honour!

Too obvious, ain't it?
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    He was the only person on the Enterprise who seemed to actually understand the term "prudence".

"Captain, I recommend we raise shields."
    "Not yet, Mr. Worf."

"Captain, recommend we go to red alert."
    "Thank you, Mr. Worf."

Worffan and I wrote him and Picard in a cameo in our off-site project The Mysterious Case of Neelix's Lungs. I wrote Worf being suspicious of the Romulans' motives, Picard doing his usual "that's nice, Mr. Worf", and Admiral Leyton cutting Picard off and agreeing with Worf, to both of their surprise.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    He was the only person on the Enterprise who seemed to actually understand the term "prudence".

"Captain, I recommend we raise shields."
    "Not yet, Mr. Worf."

"Captain, recommend we go to red alert."
    "Thank you, Mr. Worf."

Worffan and I wrote him and Picard in a cameo in our off-site project The Mysterious Case of Neelix's Lungs. I wrote Worf being suspicious of the Romulans' motives, Picard doing his usual "that's nice, Mr. Worf", and Admiral Leyton cutting Picard off and agreeing with Worf, to both of their surprise.

Season 2's "The Chid", he's the only person to suggest the logical decision of terminating a fetus that (a) is actually a space thingy that r*ped Troi and (b) is causing problems with the ship.

F*cking Maurice Hurley...can't write a decent story for sh*t...

Also, as for the last paragraph...in retrospect, it reads as a Take That to Maurice Hurley and the constant Worf denial both.
  • Options
    kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited March 2015

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,370 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Without Worf, we wouldn't have the Worf Effect - the "badass warrior" who gets defeated on a regular basis just to show us how much more impressive the Threat of the Week is.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Without Worf, we wouldn't have the Worf Effect - the "badass warrior" who gets defeated on a regular basis just to show us how much more impressive the Threat of the Week is.
    Even Worf would encounter beings that he simply didn't even want to try fighting. I don't remember if he actually tried to fight Isabella, but he'd have probably lost.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    His biggest fan is totally sugar :o

:D:D
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    His biggest fan is totally sugar :o

:D:D

Thank you, dear.

:D
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jonsills wrote: »

Which in itself is funny, because whenever he ran into another Klingon he kicked their butts. Just ask Duras, Gowron, or his Forcas III competitors. Worf Worfed the Worfs.
  • Options
    carpfishercarpfisher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    hhwweppins.

Just say it out loud.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Actually... not entirely accurate, as Chancillor Gorkon was pretty friendly when he met Captain Kirk.

I suspect Gorkon was a holdover from the old TOS Klingon culture where they were less growly Vikings and more cunning. He, Chang, and perhaps Azetbur were in my headcanon the last of the Thought Admirals.

Worf, while I think his human upbringing should have shown way more than it did, did seem to tend a bit more towards this model than to a "modern" Klingon.

I guess that's my positive thing about Worf: he took the ideal of honor more seriously than his brethren (even if he sometimes failed at it).

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hrmmm, I can't think of anything...everything keeps going back to something positive about Starfleet. There are only so many ranks. Why does that matter? Every time Worf got a promotion, the ship he was on was destroyed...
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Worf was one of my favorite characters, but I really can't say anything positive about him.

He was a deadbeat dad, something I cannot excuse under any circumstance. He was no Klingon, just a Human-reaised wannabe struggling to live up to his very confused idea of how a Klingon was supposed to behave... DS-9 also showed that while he was fine as a security/tactical officer, he couldn't handle higher responsibilities. He took it upon himself to muscle in on one of Odo's investigations, so showed complete lack of respect for the blended chain of command, the episode where the Klingons set him up to be extradited showed that, although he was indeed being set up so he got off on a technicality, he couldn't be trusted to command a ship in battle, and his decision fo save Jadzia's life cost the life of a much more valuable STI asset, which Sisko noted would likely mean he would never be given a command of his own.

That said, if the s**t was about to hit the fan, there're few others I'd want watching my back, and who I'd have 100% confidence in...
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    He had a snappy catchphrase.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Worf was one of my favorite characters, but I really can't say anything positive about him.

He was a deadbeat dad, something I cannot excuse under any circumstance. He was no Klingon, just a Human-reaised wannabe struggling to live up to his very confused idea of how a Klingon was supposed to behave... DS-9 also showed that while he was fine as a security/tactical officer, he couldn't handle higher responsibilities. He took it upon himself to muscle in on one of Odo's investigations, so showed complete lack of respect for the blended chain of command, the episode where the Klingons set him up to be extradited showed that, although he was indeed being set up so he got off on a technicality, he couldn't be trusted to command a ship in battle, and his decision fo save Jadzia's life cost the life of a much more valuable STI asset, which Sisko noted would likely mean he would never be given a command of his own.

That said, if the s**t was about to hit the fan, there're few others I'd want watching my back, and who I'd have 100% confidence in...

To be fair, Worf's conduct in battle, loyalty, and sheer determination WAS recognized by Klingons such as Martok as pretty freaking impressive and in many ways the model of the Klingon ideal.

And to be fair, a lot of the "surprise kid" issues can be pinned on K'Ehlyr for not even sending him a heads-up that she was pregnant; that said, Worf was at best an incompetent parent, although I think (based on his STO portrayal) that he's gotten a lot better without Starfleet duties.

I think that he had his flaws, but he was overall a levelheaded, sensible, and trustworthy individual. Hell, 95% of the time in TNG when he said "we should shoot the thing", he was RIGHT.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Worf... Is awesome.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    worffan101 wrote: »
    To be fair, Worf's conduct in battle, loyalty, and sheer determination WAS recognized by Klingons such as Martok as pretty freaking impressive and in many ways the model of the Klingon ideal.

And to be fair, a lot of the "surprise kid" issues can be pinned on K'Ehlyr for not even sending him a heads-up that she was pregnant; that said, Worf was at best an incompetent parent, although I think (based on his STO portrayal) that he's gotten a lot better without Starfleet duties.

I think that he had his flaws, but he was overall a levelheaded, sensible, and trustworthy individual. Hell, 95% of the time in TNG when he said "we should shoot the thing", he was RIGHT.
    No, he was a deliberate deadbeat... As soon as he knew that Alexander was his son, he should have immediately taken direct responsibility for his welfare (as did every other parent aboard the Enterprise who had a child on board (and there were many) but instead, he shipped him off to his foster parents... He only dealt with Alexander when he absolutely had to, and most of the time, that just involved shouting at him, rather than talking to him. He related better to Jeremy Aster than he ever did Alexander as a child. He was only willing to actually spend quality time with him by the time he got married to Jadzia, by which time, by Klingon standards, Alexander was a young man capable of hanging out with adults as one of the guys...

And yes, he was absolutely trustworthy, and right about situations where Picard should have been more cautious, but as DS-9 showed, he wasn't capable of higher authority and was Peter Principled once he became the strategic operations officer or given command of the Defiant (he even ordered the helmsman to ram the Borg Cube, but that order was quite rightly ignored as being a futile 'glory gesture' rather than a viable tactical manoeuvre... )
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    No, he was a deliberate deadbeat... As soon as he knew that Alexander was his son, he should have immediately taken direct responsibility for his welfare (as did every other parent aboard the Enterprise who had a child on board (and there were many) but instead, he shipped him off to his foster parents... He only dealt with Alexander when he absolutely had to, and most of the time, that just involved shouting at him, rather than talking to him. He related better to Jeremy Aster than he ever did Alexander as a child. He was only willing to actually spend quality time with him by the time he got married to Jadzia, by which time, by Klingon standards, Alexander was a young man capable of hanging out with adults as one of the guys...

And yes, he was absolutely trustworthy, and right about situations where Picard should have been more cautious, but as DS-9 showed, he wasn't capable of higher authority and was Peter Principled once he became the strategic operations officer or given command of the Defiant (he even ordered the helmsman to ram the Borg Cube, but that order was quite rightly ignored as being a futile 'glory gesture' rather than a viable tactical manoeuvre... )

I refuse to say that Worf's conduct toward his son was acceptable (because it was majorly deadbeat parenting), but I can understand why he acted the way he did. He got a kid shoved on him by his sort-of ex and then she died before they could really talk through it; he didn't know whether to be angry at the kid for existing or raise him in what he saw as the Klingon fashion.

Which is why he sucked as a parent.

In First Contact...that was the right call. The Defiant is an expendable frigate designed to mob Borg cubes, not a battleship. Kinetic strikes are OP in Trek, a suicide run might just have taken down the cube. Very much worth the lives of the remaining crew.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    He had a snappy catchphrase.

"Rrrrraaaahhhhhhh!!!" ?
  • Options
    x6460x6460 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    He had some of the best lines,. Worf is a staple of Star Trek. A Klingon amongst men.

Guinan: "It's an Earth drink. Prune juice."
    Worf; "A warrior's drink!"

"Do not approach me unannounced—especially while I am eating."

"Do not hug me."

"Klingons do not... pursue relationships. They conquer that which they desire."

Picard: "Return that moon to its orbit."
    Q: "I have no powers! Q, the ordinary!"
    Picard: "Q, the liar! Q, the misanthrope!"
    Q: "Q, the miserable, Q, the desperate! What must I do to convince you people?"
    Worf: "Die."
    Q: "Oh, very clever, Worf. Eat any good books lately?"

Worf Hungover; "Romulan Ale should be Illegal."
    Geordi: "It is."

Riker: "You're outmanned, you're outgunned, you're outequipped - what else have you got?"
    Worf: "Guile."
    Finally decided to make a sig.
    I see allot of them with a character, and ship.
    though I'm not sure which ship to put on there...
    I'll think about it. This will do for now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    worffan101 wrote: »
    I refuse to say that Worf's conduct toward his son was acceptable (because it was majorly deadbeat parenting), but I can understand why he acted the way he did. He got a kid shoved on him by his sort-of ex and then she died before they could really talk through it; he didn't know whether to be angry at the kid for existing or raise him in what he saw as the Klingon fashion.

Which is why he sucked as a parent.

In First Contact...that was the right call. The Defiant is an expendable frigate designed to mob Borg cubes, not a battleship. Kinetic strikes are OP in Trek, a suicide run might just have taken down the cube. Very much worth the lives of the remaining crew.
    Exactly. On the plus side, it wasn't the old cliche of happy insta-family, but it was something which showed that Worf really couldn't handle responsibility well in general, not just an inability to make reasonable command decisions...

But would it have done so? Did the Defiant have enough momentum to actually do so? The scale of the cube was hard to gauge in First Contact, but previously, the Borg cubes had dwarfed the Enterprise-D, which in turn, was considerably bigger than the Defiant, I just don't think an impact (and resultant core breach from the Defiant) would have made any real difference to the cube. Also, none of the other crewmembers were Klingons, they didn't feel the need to go out in a blaze of glory, so that order showed (as with the DS-9 episode) Worf gave inappropriate orders because of his Klingon instincts (or how he thought a Klingon should react...)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I agree, worf has the best lines... because he can deliver them pretty well.
    Exactly. On the plus side, it wasn't the old cliche of happy insta-family, but it was something which showed that Worf really couldn't handle responsibility well in general, not just an inability to make reasonable command decisions...

But would it have done so? Did the Defiant have enough momentum to actually do so? The scale of the cube was hard to gauge in First Contact, but previously, the Borg cubes had dwarfed the Enterprise-D, which in turn, was considerably bigger than the Defiant, I just don't think an impact (and resultant core breach from the Defiant) would have made any real difference to the cube. Also, none of the other crewmembers were Klingons, they didn't feel the need to go out in a blaze of glory, so that order showed (as with the DS-9 episode) Worf gave inappropriate orders because of his Klingon instincts (or how he thought a Klingon should react...)

Might I point out Riker's final command in best of both worlds part II before Data told him to hold?
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    x6460 wrote: »
    He had some of the best lines,. Worf is a staple of Star Trek. A Klingon amongst men.

Guinan: "It's an Earth drink. Prune juice."
    Worf; "A warrior's drink!"
    Then see him turn up in Quark's in "The Way of the Warrior". Quark goes "Let me guess: bloodwine?"

Worf, completely matter-of-factly: "Prune juice. Chilled."

Quark basically goes WTF?, and then Worf just sits there glaring at him until he goes and gets the prune juice.
    x6460 wrote: »
    Picard: "Return that moon to its orbit."
    Q: "I have no powers! Q, the ordinary!"
    Picard: "Q, the liar! Q, the misanthrope!"
    Q: "Q, the miserable, Q, the desperate! What must I do to convince you people?"
    Worf: "Die."
    Q: "Oh, very clever, Worf. Eat any good books lately?"
    I love that one.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited March 2015

I dunno about not handling responsibility, he was definitely trustworthy and relentlessly dedicated. He certainly had MAJOR problems as a commander, officer, and parent when emotional entanglements showed up.

As to the second...the Defiant's going down anyway, the Cube's going for Earth, the best move is to hit them with anything you have left, up to and including the ship. I call that Worf being sensible; like the people on Flight 93, knowing that they were going to die anyway, trying to save some people on the outside with a desperate attack.