test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)

Comments

• coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's nice to see Star Wars fans offering their condolences on their own Subreddit as well.

I never did offer my condolences in my first reply, so I shall do so now.

He lived a long and full life, and certainly prospered. May we all be so lucky.
  • sarek93sarek93 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Leonard Nimoy was one of the reasons I got so into Star Trek in the first place. He's the reason I mained a Vulcan in STO. He lived long and prospered in every sense of the phrase. Now he belongs to the stars. Peace and long life wherever you are among the stars, Mr. Nimoy. LLAP.
    "Insufficient facts always invite danger." - Spock
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    We are assembled here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. And yet it should be noted that in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Somehow "live long and prosper" seems inappropriate here, although he certainly did.

So I'll go with "second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning".
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Wow... The more I consider Mr. Nimoy's passing... the more it shakes me.

Obviously, I didn't know the man, but for *ALL MY 42 YEARS OF LIFE* he has been a cornerstone of Trekdom. Thanks to my father I have (and always will be) a Trekkie. It's part of our Family. My love of science, technology, astronomy, and fantasy/adventure... including all things Trek... These... These are in the core of my being, the very fabric that makes me the person I am.

Losing part of that foundation is hard. When Mr. Kelley and Mr. Doohan past, those were dark days as well, but (and I really hate to sound so much like I'm "picking favorites") Spock and Kirt were moreso figureheads to me. So, I mourn more deeply. Perhaps also it's another bell toll signalling the inevitable passing of all things, including such idols.

:(

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • daern45daern45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Leonard Nimoy is perhaps one of the largest icons in science fiction. Certainly in the Star Trek universe. Not only did he star as one of the most iconic figures in science fiction history, but in more star trek films than any other person. He reminds me in many ways of another great actor, Vincent Price. Both men were men of many talents, underappreciated as actors, and left a huge legacy of and for fans of all ages.

There are no words to describe how we all feel, and to quote cyllus2014, he touched our hearts and minds.

Most of us remember him from Star Trek, however I also remember him from several other tv shows including the original Mission Impossible series. He wAs a telented actor.

His protrayal of SPock touched most of us in unique and differing ways, but I should think it touched all of us on some level.

I must add this, at least as my own personal opinion.

Leonard Nimoy's death may not change the world or even have a big impact on it, other than for those of us who cared about him. HOWEVER, his LIFE did have a very large effect on the world, for his portrayal of Spock has inspired countless numbers of people to work in science and to try to be better people in general.

In the world of today, and the troubles of today, I am reminded of one of Spock's most prized possessions and most important philosophies. IDIC. Infinite Deversity In Infinite Combinations.

Mr. Nimoy believed this as welll, and it is a lesson the world sorely needs to be reminded of.

Personally I shall miss this actor for I grew up watching him when the series was on the air, and not in syndication. The man was not perfect, but he was a good man and touched hundreds of thousands of lives in a positive way. Not many who have lived can say that.

Leonard Nimoy. I feel honored to have had your influence in my life, even if only as an actor in one of my favorite franchises and hope in all sincerity that you have gone to a place far better than what you have left.

And to all of us here on this game, my most sincere condolences to each of you. And most importantly, to his family.

Daern62,
  • jhderojas77jhderojas77 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    As I say in another thread, it's a good time for cryptic to make a memorial of him on Vulcan.

If anybody wants, we are there remembering him.

RIP.
    --
    Quehousi@Tuti
    Admiral - Lusitania (Excelsior class)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Rest in Peace, Leonard Nimoy!
    iThank you for all you have done in the world of Trek
    Even though I was not a huge fan of your era of Trek, I appreciate the overall legacy and importance you had to make way for this world to grow
    Thank you for lending your voice to STO

THough the saying Live Long and Prosper is a bit late... Live Long and Prosper in the after life!
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • cptniteusercptniteuser Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    "live long and prosper" was epicly stated by him like no other.

But in life also comes "We shall all die like men"

RIP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sinnaj63sinnaj63 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Rest in Peace Leonard Nimoy.
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Today we honor Mr. Nimoy's legacy and extend our condolences to his family, his friends and his fans. You have been, and always shall be, our friend.

You can read our official statement here.

~LaughingTrendy
  • captainedwards09captainedwards09 Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Need a memorial for him at Vulcan or something, RIP Mr. Nimoy, thank you for the memories
  • stormstrykestormstryke Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Very sad news. :(
    _____

Lifetime no longer gives a forum title. That should be updated on the Lifetime page that mentions what you get. PMing the CSR doesn't work neither.
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    RIP and thank you for being the man you were.

This may be odd at this time but... live long and prosper.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My wife and I saw him last year at his second last convention here in Ottawa.

He didn't look like he was going to make the year.
    It was one of the top things on my list of things I have always wanted to do. Meet me nimoy.
    And it is one of my highlights.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • waldotrekwaldotrek Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    R.I.P. Mr Spock
    Former Moderator 10-28-16
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This makes me wonder - I hope the Spock introductions to the different sector blocks will be preserved in Season 10?

Of course, a memorial would also be great - but let's first that the existing reminders we have of Leonard Nimoy are preserved.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • derbitburgerderbitburger Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Live Long And Prosper :(
    Enjoy Life!
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it!
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    RIP Leonard Nimoy spent most of my childhood watching his exploits as Spock and all i can say is I hope his memory lives long and prosper.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    "Do not grieve, Admiral... I have been, and always shall be, your friend."

We will miss you. RIP Leonard Nimoy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Peace and long life, in whatever awaits you beyond this one, Leonard Nimoy :(
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Second Star to the right, and straight on till morning...

I grew up while TNG was airing, so that was my first star trek series. But Leonard Nimoy's performance in the few episodes of that show he featured in so impressed me that I sought out and watched the original series. But more than that, I saw how big an impact actors like Nimoy have had on our lives, the people they've touched, and changed for the better.

We craft our wings from the ashes of our deeds, and if there is a heaven, I hope he soars.

Rest well, old friend.
  • cem3212cem3212 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Humanity has lost a great person.

Condolences to his family & friends & to us all.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." was his last Tweet & a beautiful statement about life.
  • christianmacchristianmac Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My fleetmates and I are planning a memorial lap of Vulcan tommarow afternoon. if you want to participate mail me at @christianmac and ill let you know when to be in Vulcan system
    77TH FIGHTER SQUADRON
  • themadpoet1themadpoet1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I know everyone must pass. What truly troubles is when good people leave us. The world becomes a little smaller each time. Live long and prosper, Mr. Nimoy.
  • avertyoureyessavertyoureyess Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    "To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die."
    -Thomas Campbell

Leonard Nimoy will live on in our hearts.
    He is finally free of this world and takes his place amongst the stars.

In Honor of his life and contributions to Star Trek I have requested my fleet members to forgo their regular uniforms for 72 hours and in place wear the iconic blue and black science outfit of Mr. Spock in tribute.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    edalgo wrote: »
    Leonard Nimoy left this world a better place than before he got here.

As a man you can't ask for much more.

Certainly not, on the other hand though.

"What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived."

And he lived a full good life, and left us with much to appreciate.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Will the outfit Spock has on in that picture be player available in the future?

And will the 3 player factions have their own ceremonies, or will it just be one where KDF can show up on Vulcan temporarily?
  • alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There should be a Memorial Statue in game to commemorate Nimoy... who is and always be one of the best actors in Star Trek.
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series