test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Leonard Nimoy Memorial

cheephoecheephoe Member Posts: 4 Arc User
How difficult would it be to have a "Memorial" to Spock (Leonard Nimoy) floating outside of Vulcan spacedock? to say he was iconic in the Star Trek universe is an understatement. Would it be possible to have such a memorial and "player event" to dedicate to his memory?

Just a suggestion to the thousands of players and developers of STO.

Pls let us know your thoughts
Post edited by cheephoe on

Comments

• Options
    vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Fully support the idea. I'd like the fountain on Vulcan to be replaced with a worthy monument.
  • Options
    quevvenquevven Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    That would be nice. But as someone mentioned... Should it not be where all players can reach, even the Klingons?

I do believe Khitomer and the Mutara Nebula are both in the game, and at least one of those is sitting around doing little.
  • Options
    mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I will always remember Leonard Nimoy like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dULOjT9GYdQ
  • Options
    cheephoecheephoe Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    quevven wrote: »
    That would be nice. But as someone mentioned... Should it not be where all players can reach, even the Klingons?

I do believe Khitomer and the Mutara Nebula are both in the game, and at least one of those is sitting around doing little.

I fully support this suggestion.... a memorial to Leonard Nemoy somewhere where ALL STO players could visit.... after all.. .would this universie be the same if we never knew him? I think not imho..
    I could also be a nice "player event" where we could gather and pay tribute to someone who gave so much to our lives.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    quevven wrote: »

The most logical place would be New Romulus. D'Tan has a strong emotional connection to Spock and it can be reached by anyone.

I would prefer ch'Rihan'Mol, Vulcan, and Earth as they are the places most closely associated with Spock both as first and most famous Vulcan in Starfleet, Vulcan as a legend in his own time, and New Romulus as a planet founded by a Unificationist educated by the man. Khitomer is also an excellent option.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I completely agree there should be a memorial. To not have a memorial to a man who embodied a fundamental aspect in popular culture and who has inspired so much real scientific and social evolution would be unthinkable...

...and illogical.

He cemented a legacy that will live and prosper a very ong time. I'm quite sure we'll still be talking about him in the 24th century.

(In addition to his Star Trek legacy I felt he was a fine human being.)
  • Options
    captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I would love to see a statue on Vulcan in honor of Spock, I hope this is something you guys can do.
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    cheephoe wrote: »
    I fully support this suggestion.... a memorial to Leonard Nemoy somewhere where ALL STO players could visit.... after all.. .would this universie be the same if we never knew him? I think not imho..
    I could also be a nice "player event" where we could gather and pay tribute to someone who gave so much to our lives.

Most definitely.

One of the most iconic members of Star Trek passed away this morning and definitely should be remembered here in STO with something worthy of his memory.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I also think there should definitely be a memorial to Spock/Leonard Nimoy. For everything Spock did in Star Trek lore, I don't think it would even be out of place to have multiple memorials to him, one at Starfleet Academy, one on Qo'nos and another on New Romulus.

Considering how he helped the Klingons after the Praxis incident and was instrumental in attempting reunification between Vulcans and Romulans, and adding in his years of service to Starfleet, a memorial at all 3 "home bases" wouldn't be too much.

Just have the flavor text be different at each one showing just WHY each faction has a memorial dedicated to him.

Obviously something on Vulcan as well wouldn't be out of place.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    maobemaobe Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    A Memorial, I second that!

Perhaps with a inscription like:

Ambassador Spock crossed the final frontier into uncharted lands, beyond the 2nd star on the right.
    U.S.S. JUGGERNAUT - Command Science Cruiser
    "Where we are is the front."
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    I will always remember Leonard Nimoy like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dULOjT9GYdQ

Excellent choice for tribute !!

My youtube-foo let me down and I could not find the "phone call" where Shatner invites a reluctant Nimoy to his roast , so here are my two secondary finds .

http://youtu.be/WPkByAkAdZs

http://youtu.be/AGF5ROpjRAU

Enjoy ! :)

EDIT : FOUND IT !!!

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/08oyf0/leonard-nimoy---roasts-are-for-pigs

So awesome ... so-so awesome ... -- and in a way I think he would want us to celebrate his passing as well as mourn it .

So here are (once again) my condolences , but also a toast !

To you Leonard !
  • Options
    metalmopmetalmop Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Most definitely there should be at least 3 ESD,Vulcan, and somewhere around romulas
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I fully support the idea of a memorial, anyplace, on Vulcan, New Romulus, I don't care, just get it in.

Personally, I'm pretty damned broken up about his passing. I grew up with him portraying Spock. I didn't know how much Leonard portraying Spock meant to me. Isn't that silly? It blind sided me really, I just wasn't prepared for how much his passing would affect me. Can you imagine?!

(with respects to Zachary Quinto, who'm I'm grateful will continue to carry the torch).
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'd also be supportive of some type of in game memorial for Leonard Nimoy/Spock at ESD/SFA/Vulcan in some form.

In addition to the fact he played one of the most iconic Star Trek characters ever; he supported the idea of STO enough to agree to do VO for the game; so I certainly don't think it would be out of bounds to do an in game memorial.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    v851v851 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Rest in Peace Mr. Spock... I fully support a permanant memorial for Mr. Spock, would also like to see a funeral to honor him. I would also like to see a memorial for Scotty, bones, and all the others we have lost from the original series, Starfleet accademy would be a perfect place for these memorials.
  • Options
    furlong359furlong359 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    /Bump

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VdQY7BusJNU

I think this song is .. meaning full at this moment
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    A memorial is only fitting.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I am as everyone else saddened by the lost of Leonard Nimoy. I do have an issue with a statue of him in the game for the following reasons:

1. There are no statues in the game of Deforest Kelly, James Doohan, or even Gene Roddenberry. (If I have forgotten any other important people of the Star Trek Franchise, my mistake).

2. In Star Trek Canon and based on the history of the Star Trek universe in the game, the following must also be considered:

2a.) Mr. Spock is currently missing after trying to save Romulus from a Hobus Supernova. As far as I am aware, he has not be declared dead.

(http://sto.gamepedia.com/Spock)

2b.) He failed to reunite the Romulans and Vulcan.

2c.) Captain Kirk, is dead in the game's timeline, as one of the most successful Captain's of Starfleet, he does not have his own statue.

2d.) Vulcans, even in the games timeline, looked down on serving in Starfleet or any Vulcan who had. As Spock had served in Starfleet, it would be an offense to put a statue celibrating a half-human/half-Vulcan as a honored member of the Vulcan society.

2f.) This is a game, if Cryptic wants to put one in, it is their choice to do so, and I will support any decision they make. It just does not need 2 threads (so far) mentioning a statue is a must in game, (over the bug fixes everyone is demanding to be fixed), or people in game calling Cryptic "Star Trek haters" because they didn't have one ready the second Leonard Nimoy went into the hospital.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The body is not even cold yet, and players are already demanding stuff

I remember a year ago when he was first rushed to the hospital, and players demanding a memorial and he was not even dead

You people are vultures
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    If it helps to move this idea faster up the chain, I'll donate to it. Whatever it takes

For Spock
  • Options
    janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    +1 for a Memorial. My vote would be for one to go on New Romulus.

EDIT: I'd like to point out that Nimoy was an integral part of STO. He helped launch it, and lent his voice to the first "Data Recorder" as well as "Past Imperfect". This puts him in a category above, in terms of STO at least.

As a comment, I'd like to point out we already have small tributes to others in terms of McCoy and Scotty's cameos in the Temporal mission arc. It would be nice to have Kirk, Uhura, Sulu and Chekov represented; I do understand however that as living actors this may involve costs, perhaps prohibitively so. Then of course you get into arguments about every other ST franchise. Perhaps, for today, let's just focus on Leonard Nimoy and not turn this into a "players are all horrible/Cryptic's all horrible" bunfight?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    How are we vultures ? Cause we would support and like a Memorial to Leonard Nimoy ? I don't think Its much of do it or else kind of statement.
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    cidjack wrote: »
    1. There are no statues in the game of Deforest Kelly, James Doohan, or even Gene Roddenberry. (If I have forgotten any other important people of the Star Trek Franchise, my mistake).
    True but they passed long before this game was out, and he plays a big part in the game, he could have said no to doing the voice but he didn't.

2. In Star Trek Canon and based on the history of the Star Trek universe in the game, the following must also be considered:
    2a.) Mr. Spock is currently missing after trying to save Romulus from a Hobus Supernova. As far as I am aware, he has not be declared dead.

(http://sto.gamepedia.com/Spock)
    2b.) He failed to reunite the Romulans and Vulcan.
    2c.) Captain Kirk, is dead in the game's timeline, as one of the most successful Captain's of Starfleet, he does not have his own statue.
    Many are asking for a Nimoy statue despite braking the fourth wall as its known, people want it and (thankfully) Shatner isn't dead its to honor the actor not the character.
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    nickcastleton,

I salute your rational arguments, you sir have logic on your side, I remove my objection.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Gonna build another one for James Doohan? Or one for DeForest Kelley? Or whoever else goes next?
  • Options
    philchapphilchap Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    support may he rest in peace
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,769 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There definitely needs to be one - and Romulus does seems the ideal place for it. Not just so that all players can access it, but as a further symbol of respect all three factions had for this legendary figure known as Spock
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.