test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Leonard Nimoy Memorial

124»

Comments

• cheephoecheephoe Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The good news is that there will be a memorial to Leonard Nimoy in game.... and to further that ambition I strongly support the addition of the other original Star Trek cast members memorials for those who are no longer with us .. Deforest Kelly, James Doohan, etc.

For without them... all that we have here would not be the same... and an electronic memorial is such an easy thing to do to give honor and rememberance to their contribution of this world.
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Put it on Vulcan, when the walls fall everybody should be able to go to Vulcan to see it. I suggest a big assed statue of Spock on Vulcan, with McCoy, Scotty, and Kirk (when necessary) at Starfleet Academy.

Why not on Earth? Spock was half human.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • leeroyfiredogleeroyfiredog Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Wouldn't it be appropriate to have the memorial on New Romulus where Spock was an ambassador and spent his life's work after the federation trying to reunify the Vulcans and Romulans? That would also make it a place where all factions can go.
  • fedscout1fedscout1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Here's to one of the greatest actors of all time. Actor, artist, musician, a poet, and a true Renaissance man. Leonard Nimoy was all that and more. He will be painfully missed. I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Nimoy but I bet he was a wonderful person. May he live long and prosper. http://kiteboy1.deviantart.com/art/My-tribute-to-Leonard-Nimoy-516937522
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I would also like to see a new Vulcan ship design for each rank all the way to T6 with said T6 being called the Spock class. This would also mean updating the current Vulcan ship.
  • gar1979gar1979 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    personal holo picture item to use that pops up a spock miniature hologram saying something with meaning? like what they gave Data when Tasha died, I saw that idea somewhere and liked it
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    cheephoe wrote: »
    How difficult would it be to have a "Memorial" to Spock (Leonard Nimoy) floating outside of Vulcan spacedock? to say he was iconic in the Star Trek universe is an understatement. Would it be possible to have such a memorial and "player event" to dedicate to his memory?

Just a suggestion to the thousands of players and developers of STO.

Pls let us know your thoughts

Floating in space? meh.

on vulcan... some form of memorial statue with writing below sure... id get behind that.

I just dont like the idea of it floating in space it would make more sense for it to be planet side.
  • pioneeringepochpioneeringepoch Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ON HEARING OF THE PASSING OF LEONARD SIMON NIMOY

Preamble 1:

On hearing of the passing of Leonard Simon Nimoy(1931-2015) and on learning about his funeral on 1 March 2014, I put together some of my writing about him and his role in Star-Trek, a role which brought him fame and wealth. The following prose-poetic work will serve for me as a sort of quasi-eulogy. I have also integrated his life and my own since both he and I have had a keen interest in autobiography, and I find such personal mixing and synthesis to be personally heuristic providing for me a pleasurable speculative writing experience. Some readers may find this personal synchronicity annoying, and for this I apologize before readers get going here with the following prose-poetic work.
    Preamble 2:

Nimoy was an American actor, film director, poet, singer and photographer. He was known for his role as Spock in the original Star Trek series (1966–69), and his roles in multiple film, television and video-game sequels. I won't give you chapter and verse of his bio-data, his life-narrative, beyond some specific and general remarks below. You can read about him in cyberspace; you can even watch a eulogistic-video that went online in the first 24 hours after his passing; there is now a massive literature on the internet about his life, his work, his character and his many influences.

Nimoy was born to Jewish immigrant parents in Boston, Massachusetts as the depression was hitting North America very hard. My parents, one a Welsh immigrant and one the daughter of an immigrant from Britain, first met in the late 1930s or very early 1940s while Nimoy was still a child. He began his career at the same stage in the life-span as I did, in his early twenties. He and I had quite different careers, his beginning in the 1950s and mine in the 1960s. At first he taught acting classes in Hollywood and, then, made minor film and television appearances through the 1950s, as well as playing the title role in Kid Monk Baroni. Foreshadowing his fame as a semi-alien, he played Narab, one of three Martian invaders in the 1952 movie serial Zombies of the Stratosphere.

Preamble 3:

In the 1950s I began several PT jobs as I finished primary school, and then went on to high school and university. In the 1950s I was introduced to the Baha'i Faith which had been in Canada for a little more than half a century at the time, and had only several hundred believers in all of Canada when my mother joined in '53. Nimoy had a Jewish background and a Jewish funeral last Sunday (1/3/'15) the details of which you can read about on Wikipedia and at a BBC website. The Rabbi's eulogy went in part like this: "At the moment Leonard’s soul left him on Friday morning (27/2/'15), his family had gathered around him in a ring of love. Leonard smiled, and then he was gone. It was a gentle passing, as easy as a “hair being lifted from a cup of milk,” as the Talmud describes the moment of death. What did Leonard see? We can’t know, but Susan imagines that he beheld his beloved cocker-spaniel Molly, an angelic presence in life and now in death." For more of that eulogy go to: http://www.reformjudaism.org/blog/2015/03/01/remembering-leonard-nimoy-rabbis-eulogy

Preamble 4:

In 1965 Nimoy made his first appearance in the rejected Star Trek pilot The Cage, and went on to play the character of Mr. Spock until 1969. By then, by 1969, I had graduated from university with a B.A. and a B.Ed., and had left Baffin Island where I had my first FT job teaching Inuit children. I returned to Ontario's Golden Horseshoe in 1968 where I had been born and raised. Star-Trek was followed by eight feature films and guest slots in the various spin-off series. The character has had a significant cultural impact, and it had garnered Nimoy three Emmy Award nominations; TV Guide named Spock one of the 50 greatest TV characters. After the original Star Trek series, Nimoy starred in Mission: Impossible for two seasons, hosted a documentary series, narrated Civilization IV, and made several well-received stage appearances. He also had a recurring role in the science fiction series Fringe.

Nimoy's fame as Spock was such that both of his autobiographies, I Am Not Spock (1975) and I Am Spock(1995), were written from the viewpoint of sharing his existence with the character. I had taken an interest in Nimoy by the time his second autobiography was published because I, too, had developed an interest in autobiography. By the time Nimoy had completed both volumes of autobiography in 1996, I was on my way to an early retirement, a sea-change, to a small town by the sea, an extension of the Great Southern Ocean, in Tasmania, at the age of 55 after a 50 year student and paid-employment life, 1949 to 1999.-Ron Price, Pioneering Over Five Epochs, 28/2/'15 to 4/3/'15.
    STAR-TREK

Modern Man in Search of A Soul(1)

Section 1:

You can read about the documentary Star-Trek: The True Story, at the following link. This doco was originally televised more than two years ago on 5/1/'13 in the US on the Discovery Channel. Go to: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_True_Story. There is no need for me to give you, therefore, the details of this program that I watched last night,(2) as the cocktail of anti-psychotic and anti-depressant medication for my bipolar I disorder began to take effect and produce its sleepy-euphoric state, and as I was enjoying my late-night snack

I have enjoyed many of the Star-Trek episodes over the years since its inception in 1966 when I was just beginning my teacher training to obtain a B.Ed. from the University of Windsor to add to my three year B.A. at McMaster University where I had been a student in a four-year honours sociology, history and philosophy course in Ontario Canada. -Ron Price with thanks to: (1) Carl Jung, Modern Man in Search of a Soul, 1933, and (2) ABC TV, 10:55 to 11:40 p.m. 28 July 2013.

The Star Trek franchise created by Roddenberry has produced story material for five decades, all of my adult-life. It resulted in six television series consisting of 726 episodes, and twelve feature films. The popularity of the Star Trek universe and films inspired the parody, homage, and cult film Galaxy Quest in 1999 which was released as I was retiring from a 50 year student-working life: 1949-1999. Star-Trek also inspired many books, video games and films set in the various "eras" of the Star-Trek universe which readers can read about in detail at Wikipedia and many other internet sites which have spring-up in the last dozen years.

Section 2:

I watched many episodes of Star-Trek
    back in the 1980s and 1990s while my
    son was growing-up….I never became
    the enthusiast both he and his mother,
    my wife, were and still are, as this TV
    series continues its life beyond its first
    decades toward the century: 1966-2066.

I found it interesting, somewhat surprising,
    to hear about Roddenbery’s shortcomings
    and failings as a human being......So often
    we know so little about the real person in
    life.....even if they run-the-gauntlet of the
    TV interview. Perhaps that is why Freud
    said......"true biography can't be written".

Still, writers will keep trying to unearth the
    inside story of some human being. And so
    it is that biographies and autobiographies
    will continue on their merry-way into the
    future as we try to understand ourselves!!1

Leonard Nimoy is a good example of such
    a writer who plumbed-the-depths of his self
    in his two volumes of Spock-autobiography.

Section 3:

1 “A man like me,” wrote Freud, “cannot live without a hobby-horse, a consuming passion,” in Schiller's words---a tyrant.” Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller(1759-1805) was a German poet, philosopher, historian, and playwright. “I have found my tyrant,” continued Freud, “and in his service I know no limits. My tyrant is psychology. It has always been my distant, beckoning goal and now… it has come so much the nearer.” Perhaps sci-fi was Roddenberry’s ‘tyrant’. I certainly know the tyrants in my life; indeed, there are several. I slowly became accustomed to them in the 1950s and 1960s: (i) before graduating from university in 1966/7 and (ii) before working within the Baha'i administrative Order in Canada's most southerly city, Windsor Ontario, in 1966/7.

1.1 “The life-work of Freud had been devoted to understanding as fully as possible the world of man’s soul. To Freud psyche and soul were the same, conscious and unconscious mental life. Psychoanalysis is the science of the soul.”--Erich Fromm, The Art of Listening, Constable, London, 1994, p.75.

1.2 Dreams are the result of the activity of our own soul. -Sigmund Freud in Freud and Man’s Soul, Bruno Bettleheim, A.A. Knopf, NY, 1983, p.71. The goal of psychoanalysis is to integrate the emotional life and the intellectual life. idem. Your unconsciousness is your companion. Persona is a protection. In my case my dreams, at least since going on my present cocktail of medications, seem to be the result of the affects of these medications on my brain. The result is what the psychologist Alfred Adler said of dreams: "dreams and common sense are arch enemies."

1.3 “I am actually not at all a man of science, not an observer, not an experimenter, not a thinker. I am by temperament nothing but a conquistador. A conquistador is an adventurer, if you want it translated, and in my case it is a conquistador with all the curiosity, daring, and tenacity characteristic of a man of this sort.”–Freud in a Letter to Wilhelm Fliess, Feb. 1, 1900. The Complete Letters of Sigmund Freud to Wilhelm Fliess 1887-1904 (1985).

1.4 “The voice of the intellect is a soft one, but it does not rest until it has gained a hearing. Ultimately, after endlessly repeated rebuffs, it succeeds. This is one of the few points in which we can be optimistic about the future of mankind; in itself it signifies not a little.”
    Ron Price......29/7/’13 to 4/3/'15.
    STAR TREK: THE LAST STAGE OF HISTORY OPENS

"The Hanging Gardens, a current project of the Baha’is in Haifa, will be the most beautiful gardens in the world."-These are the words of Ya’acov Ron, the then Managing Director of the Haifa Tourism Board back in the 1990s.

Just after the first message to youth
    in the third year of that Plan,1 and
    in the same week that I left home
    to complete my university life in
    teacher-training in Canada's most
    southerly city of Windsor Ontario,
    a sci-fi epic2 with the thrill of those
    Saturday morning serials began and
    it took us on a wagon train to stars
    and galaxies where no man had ever
    gone before. It was a world of the
    imagination. The House of Justice
    had taken those youth right back to
    basics travelling in a quite familiar
    galaxy, dealing with 3 great fields of
    service3 & radiating the Message to
    those among their contemporaries.

Meanwhile, in a poetic and romantic land
    of dreams, in far-off galaxies, Rodenberry
    Land, our perceptual reality was framed as
    part of a new shift of vision to a planetary
    civilization, electronic information systems
    and world-wide webs: we were all getting
    ready, little did we know, for a very great
    fertilization of seeds long ago planted and
    a begeming of our lives with these new &
    heavenly teachings. For they had come with
    confirmations & assistance from a threshold
    of Oneness that is now in Hanging Gardens.

Ron Price
    1/1/'97 to 4/3/'15.
    1 The Nine Year Plan: 1964-1973
    2 term used to describe Star Trek in the script of the TV program “Star Trek-30 Years and Beyond”.
    3 Universal House of Justice, First ‘Message to Youth’ on 10 June 1966.
    end of document
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    I would also like to see a new Vulcan ship design for each rank all the way to T6 with said T6 being called the Spock class. This would also mean updating the current Vulcan ship.

That is an excellent idea actually. Put those ship designing chops to work. The question is C-store or event giveaway?
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hmm, hadn't they already planned a memorial on Vulcan?! (To be released with tomorrow's patch?)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Hmm, hadn't they already planned a memorial on Vulcan?! (To be released with tomorrow's patch?)

I believe so, I don't have the link to hand but it was posted in the forums at some point recently to an article showing a screenshot of the memorial (in its early moments I assume), with details that there were over a thousand players in attendance as well as most of the devs and that they would be putting a memorial on Vulcan in this coming patch.
    I hope they stick to this.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".