test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Leonard Nimoy Memorial

Comments

• redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I was proposing a plaque to his memory set up where we see Amok Time taking place

The memorial plaque location
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • csavahcsavah Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I also would like to see a plaque at the Academy for both Spock and Scotty and maybe some sort of dedicated object on Vulcan, but it seems logical it might not be a statue. I say that because I seem to recall something in one of the episodes about making statues to heros and gods as a bad idea. Of course in this game there are statues to someone, or something all over the place. The Klingon world seems to have the most that I have seen so far.

It may be hard to embrace this, but the original crew members are at that point in their lifecycle when we should expect them to pass, even if that means we won't see them in the next Star Trek movie, or at another fan event. I would like to see something in the movies about their passing, and significant events that became part of the Star Trek universe story. Clearly fans like myself would want to have a mission that is dedicated to them as a memorial event since it is a common tradition to remember those who have passed and speak of their memory and significant life. We do this for family members, heads of state, and anyone else we feel should be remembered on a special day at least once a year, so it seems fitting to do so in the game.

I would also think buildings, starships, and locations would begin to pop up in the game with the heros name on it, or attached to them in some manner customary to their character's culture. Maybe I am thinking too much like folks do about real life persons, but it seems fitting to me since we are simulating a culture we hope our grandchildren will live. Just some random thoughts.

Csavah
  • rogersprofilerogersprofile Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    We are at vulcan now
    R.I.P. mr Nimoy
  • cheephoecheephoe Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I, for one, would be totally happy with memorial Statues / places / etc. dedicated to each core member of the original Star Trek series crew. They were the first... their portrayal of Gene Roddenberry's characters were the direct genesis of what we have here today.

It would be a wonderful (and exceedingly low cost) way to pay homage to those that enabled our enjoyment of this "universe".

Perhaps I am being a bit too sentimental? .... but somehow I think most of us feel the same way...
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I believe that a statue of Spock should be erected at the fountain on Vulcan, in honor of the character's achievements (for the purpose of lore) with the monument itself also serving as a reminder to us as players of the man behind the character and his life.

In terms of the lore, It can be truly said that Spock's greatest contributions to the Federation were the role he played in the overture to peace with the Klingons and his efforts in the pursuit of reunification between the Romulan and Vulcan people.

New Romulus would also be a good site for a second statue of Spock, ordered by d'tan. He would surely feel that the New Romulan republic would not be what it is without Spock's influence.

The Klingons might even elect to honor him with a statue in the Hall of warriors. "A warrior for peace is no less a warrior," after all... And without spock's efforts which lead to the peace summit at Khitomer, prior to the Federation relief efforts in the aftermath of the destruction of Praxis, The Klingon Empire may not have survived.

So Yes...

A monument to Spock (and by extension to Leonard Nimoy) on Vulcan, On New Romulus, and on Qo'nos would be a very good thing.

The statue should have him standing straight and tall, in Vulcan robes, with hand raised in the traditional Vulcan salute. He also needs to be wearing the IDIC medallion.
    Your Logic is unassailable.
    cidjack wrote: »
    I am as everyone else saddened by the lost of Leonard Nimoy. I do have an issue with a statue of him in the game for the following reasons:

1. There are no statues in the game of Deforest Kelly, James Doohan, or even Gene Roddenberry. (If I have forgotten any other important people of the Star Trek Franchise, my mistake).

2. In Star Trek Canon and based on the history of the Star Trek universe in the game, the following must also be considered:

2a.) Mr. Spock is currently missing after trying to save Romulus from a Hobus Supernova. As far as I am aware, he has not be declared dead.

(http://sto.gamepedia.com/Spock)

2b.) He failed to reunite the Romulans and Vulcan.

2c.) Captain Kirk, is dead in the game's timeline, as one of the most successful Captain's of Starfleet, he does not have his own statue.

2d.) Vulcans, even in the games timeline, looked down on serving in Starfleet or any Vulcan who had. As Spock had served in Starfleet, it would be an offense to put a statue celibrating a half-human/half-Vulcan as a honored member of the Vulcan society.

2f.) This is a game, if Cryptic wants to put one in, it is their choice to do so, and I will support any decision they make. It just does not need 2 threads (so far) mentioning a statue is a must in game, (over the bug fixes everyone is demanding to be fixed), or people in game calling Cryptic "Star Trek haters" because they didn't have one ready the second Leonard Nimoy went into the hospital.

As others have already noted, but there is a USS Montgomery Scott in game and also a USS McCoy. There are other things that would be appropriate as well. Buildings named after them for instance at Starfleet Academy, though that would be something requiring remodeling.

As to 2b.) Spock was well aware of his own mortality and that the goal of reuniting Vulcans and Romulans may take longer than his lifetime. So he fostered other like minded individuals to take up the cause and carry it through to the end. Hence D'Tan. If his students carry on his will, and three hundred years down the line, Romulans and Vulcans are reunited then he did not fail.

As to 2c.) Kirk's statue is probably in Iowa.

As to 2d.) Despite Vulcans looking down on Starfleet, T'Pring noted that Spock had also become a legend on Vulcan for serving on the Enterprise. Sarek was forced to reassess his opinion of Spock joining Starfleet. And Vulcans are now a regular presence in Starfleet. It would not be logical to exclude honoring a distinguished scientist, ambassador, and most prominently savior of the galaxy considering he gave his life stopping the Hobus supernova, just because of old prejudices about Vulcans serving in Starfleet.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't know who this Nimoy guy is, but 23 years ago Spock died saving the Galaxy from a massive super nova, and he has yet to be to be honored ;)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • kieronblackkieronblack Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Fully support the OP's suggestion.
  • abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I don't know who this Nimoy guy is, but 23 years ago Spock died saving the Galaxy from a massive super nova, and he has yet to be to be honored ;)

Where does it specifically say he died?

I saw the reference in the STOpedia that says he is missing, but nothing to suggest he is dead.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Where does it specifically say he died?

I saw the reference in the STOpedia that says he is missing, but nothing to suggest he is dead.

He got sucked into a black hole, we don't know about the other universe, as for the Prime time line knows he is dead
    GwaoHAD.png
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    cheephoe wrote: »
    How difficult would it be to have a "Memorial" to Spock (Leonard Nimoy) floating outside of Vulcan spacedock? to say he was iconic in the Star Trek universe is an understatement. Would it be possible to have such a memorial and "player event" to dedicate to his memory?

Just a suggestion to the thousands of players and developers of STO.

Pls let us know your thoughts

I think thee should be one on vulcan , earth starfleet academy ,and new romulus
    I hope cryptic does make this dream become reality in out virtual universe of STO.

RIP Mr Nimoy

Live long and prosper
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    PWE won't do anything without making a buck of it, so here's how PWE can spend the hours creating the memorial and then making a boatload of cash:

Make it only visible to those who purchase a 500zen per character unlock.

It's a win-win for everyone.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • quevvenquevven Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    Well, if we are going to throw Scotty into this... Put his plaque in Delta Command, seeing as it is in that Dyson Sphere he found... and got stuck in.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The Memorial should be something encountered while playing through the starting missions on Vulcan.

He was a teacher so something along that line please.
  • djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The Character of James T Kirk is dead in the prime universe. It would be cool if they put a space dock in some upcoming new orbital space zone and call it the James T Kirk Memorial Starport.

A future Starfleet social hub dedicated to R&D could be called the Montgomery Scott Development Engineering Complex.

A new Tier 6 NPC medical ship could be commissioned, and used as an NPC vessel in disaster-related missions. It could be called the USS McCOY.

A new Vulcan Ambasadorial vessel could be commissioned, the SAREK.

There are all sorts of lore-specific and immersive elements like this that could be used in this game. And it ties in with real world elements. Ships, hospitals, airports, sporting arenas, etc are often named for people who have passed on.

Even just limiting the memorial elements to NPC ships in the game that could be encountered randomly in places that make sense would be a decent thing to do to honor the characters and actors of Star Trek who are not with us anymore.

There is an Exeter-Class ship called the U.S.S. Kirk in the game. And if I remember right, there's a U.S.S. Montgomery Scott out with Task Force Omega. I would say that it would be within the realm of possibility to have a ship commissioned as the U.S.S. Spock.
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Something tasteful on Vulcan, I'd think, would be appropriate, a memorial to both the character of Spock and Mr. Nimoy. I always figured there was some sort of memorial to him in-universe.
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    +1 vote for Memorial Statue.
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • thorodalthorodal Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I would recommend a plaque similar to the one already existing at the Academy, and to put on it Mr. Nimoy's final tweet as I think they serve the purpose well without breaking immersion:
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP

Source: https://twitter.com/TheRealNimoy/status/569762773204217857
  • darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Leonard Nimoy was quoted as saying that if he had to be anyone else it would be Spock. As such I feel that a memorial should be on Vulcan only.

I understand that people want memorials at different locations, however Vulcan is the logical choice.

It was his home world. (This covers his heritage.)

It was a founding member of the Federation. (This covers his career.)

It was the birthplace of his philosophy. (This covers his ideology.)

Additionally, I feel that having one single, special memorial has more meaning than multiples.
  • fedscout1fedscout1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    To Leonard Nimoy. May he live on in our memories and in our hearts. What an amazing actor! He will be missed painfully.
  • drakomagidrakomagi Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I am all for a memorial to Leonard Nimoy in the game. Vulcan, Starfleet Academy, Khitomer, New Romulus, the Mutara Nebula. All would be good candidates to have one.
    edited February 2015
    Leonard Nimoy was quoted as saying that if he had to be anyone else it would be Spock. As such I feel that a memorial should be on Vulcan only.

I understand that people want memorials at different locations, however Vulcan is the logical choice.

Seriously, but he needs something in STO at least...
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    vocmcp wrote: »
    Fully support the idea. I'd like the fountain on Vulcan to be replaced with a worthy monument.

I was thinking on something like a statue of Spock on Vulcan as he appeared undergoing Kolinahr and another on ESD from TOS with him studying a tricorder

Peace and Long Life
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    +1 to the Memorial.

Live Long and Proper Mr. Nimoy, where ever you may be.
    edited February 2015
    a Spock Statue would be, with some other notations and what not from him.
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • stohansonstohanson Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    At least a giant statue at Starfleet Academy
  • crowley875crowley875 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I fully support the idea of having a memorial event for Mr. Nimoy, and a permanent statue on Vulcan.
  • rgzarcherrgzarcher Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    cheephoe wrote: »
    I fully support this suggestion.... a memorial to Leonard Nemoy somewhere where ALL STO players could visit.... after all.. .would this universie be the same if we never knew him? I think not imho..
    I could also be a nice "player event" where we could gather and pay tribute to someone who gave so much to our lives.

THIS I second this. D'Tan knew Mr Spock as a child, and I can think of no better place for there to be a memorial to the acomplishments of his most well known character within the Star Trek universe.
    "Why all the sales"?

And a merry freaking Christmas to you too, Ebenezer.
    -jonsills, 'Cryptic Why the sales..instead of Fixing XP leveling and this game?'
  • kwyjenkwyjen Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few or the 1. Mr. Spock ~aka~Leonard Nimoy was the 1 that made Star Trek what Star Trek was all about.
    I vote YES, STO should create a Memorial on Vulcan in honor of Spock.

What would be a great gesture on the part of STO would be to create a special mission involving Spock, similar to Hearts & Minds , that would only be available on a limited basis. I suggest twice a year, on Leonard Nimoy's birthday and on the date of his passing.

Rest In Peace Spock
  • janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Just had an idea, to encompass the fact that many of the Star Trek family have passed away. This would be in addition to a memorial for Leonard Nimoy who, as mentioned already has a special place in STO.

The Star Trek family includes (in no logical order) Gene Roddenberry, Majel Roddenberry, DeForest Kelley, Mark Lenard, James Doohan, and all the others who have made Star Trek what it is.

How about a Star Trek family memorial, using a Constitution Class at Utopia Planetia?

The Constitution Class exterior and interior is already available, as is Utopia Planetia which is not being used currently. Memorials could be added by way of Plaques within the ship and shipyard. While it would not necessarily be full of visitors all the time, it would serve an important function for the STO community. And because the environments are all already available, it would not take much more effort to set up, as well as being flexible.

What do people think?
  • thore187thore187 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't know what form it should take, but I'd like to see something permanent done to honor the memory of this giant of Trek.