test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Leonard Nimoy Memorial

Comments

• slachanceslachance Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I fully support the idea of a memorial though I think a statue on vulcan would be most appropriate.
  • mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ahhhh, but does any1 remember when he had a role on the old 'mission impossible' tv series.....????
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    quevven wrote: »
    That would be nice. But as someone mentioned... Should it not be where all players can reach, even the Klingons?

I do believe Khitomer and the Mutara Nebula are both in the game, and at least one of those is sitting around doing little.

Spock did not belong to the Federation alone. As a member of New Romulus Star Command, I will point out that Spock is more ours than he is the Vulcans'. Put his memorial on ch'Mol'Rihan. Everyone (level 50+, at least) can visit ch'Mol'Rihan.
  • feordilagorgefeordilagorge Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Leonard Nimoy created an iconic character that will no doubt remain a legend. It is too bad we cannot produce a real Genesis device on this day.

Here's to you, Spock. May memories of you live long and prosper!

Star Citizen: Pay-2-Win?
    i.imgur.com/LGpIGVB.png

FREE HONG KONG! *
    * With purchase of another Hong Kong of equal or greater value.
  • gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    cheephoe wrote: »
    How difficult would it be to have a "Memorial" to Spock (Leonard Nimoy) floating outside of Vulcan spacedock? to say he was iconic in the Star Trek universe is an understatement. Would it be possible to have such a memorial and "player event" to dedicate to his memory?

Just a suggestion to the thousands of players and developers of STO.

Pls let us know your thoughts

I VERY much agree to this. If Craptic can shut down the game for a Memorial patch in honor of a deceased employee than they better damn well make something, at least, of equal merit for Leonard Nimoy (Spock) because in Terms of Star Trek and, airgo, Star Trek Online, Leonard Nimoy makes that Craptic employee a nobody by comparison.
    signature.png
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I VERY much agree to this. If Craptic can shut down the game for a Memorial patch in honor of a deceased employee than they better damn well make something, at least, of equal merit for Leonard Nimoy (Spock) because in Terms of Star Trek and, airgo, Star Trek Online, Leonard Nimoy makes that Craptic employee a nobody by comparison.

Wow, just , Wow.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Whatever comes...I will be there.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Great work pal, completely disrespect that poor man who lost his life just because he wasn't a celebrity.

Gotta love how people put celebrities on a higher level.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited February 2015

- Harsh and incredibly inappropriate.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    - Harsh and incredibly inappropriate.

It's people like that who need a kick to the face.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    De mortuis nihil nisi bonum.

Simply put, say only good things about the dead, or do not say anything at all.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • doltarhrsoljahtdoltarhrsoljaht Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    How difficult would it be to have a "Memorial" to Spock (Leonard Nimoy) floating outside of Vulcan spacedock? to say he was iconic in the Star Trek universe is an understatement. Would it be possible to have such a memorial and "player event" to dedicate to his memory?

I would also like to propose a thought to ponder.
    Since Spock was not fully excepted by his own, because of his mixed blood. I would like to suggest a memorial on ESD and the Academy in remembrance of his devoted service to Starfleet and the United Federation of Planets. Also his trusted friendship and alliance with sooo many colleges and species.

Doltar Sojat
  • zzzspina01zzzspina01 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    someone posted this to facebook. and it made me sad all over again. just the look in his face in the 2nd piture. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203818531039443&set=p.10203818531039443&type=1&theater
    I cant brain I have the dumb
  • jeanluck4jeanluck4 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    sincere condolences to the family

peace to his soul
  • nakedcrooknakedcrook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Put the monument on Drozana Station. Everyone can visit Drozana Station.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you oppose the Reputation nerf, feel free to use my signature
  • webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    cidjack wrote: »
    I am as everyone else saddened by the lost of Leonard Nimoy. I do have an issue with a statue of him in the game for the following reasons:

1. There are no statues in the game of Deforest Kelly, James Doohan, or even Gene Roddenberry. (If I have forgotten any other important people of the Star Trek Franchise, my mistake).

2. In Star Trek Canon and based on the history of the Star Trek universe in the game, the following must also be considered:

2a.) Mr. Spock is currently missing after trying to save Romulus from a Hobus Supernova. As far as I am aware, he has not be declared dead.

(http://sto.gamepedia.com/Spock)

2b.) He failed to reunite the Romulans and Vulcan.

2c.) Captain Kirk, is dead in the game's timeline, as one of the most successful Captain's of Starfleet, he does not have his own statue.

2d.) Vulcans, even in the games timeline, looked down on serving in Starfleet or any Vulcan who had. As Spock had served in Starfleet, it would be an offense to put a statue celibrating a half-human/half-Vulcan as a honored member of the Vulcan society.

2f.) This is a game, if Cryptic wants to put one in, it is their choice to do so, and I will support any decision they make. It just does not need 2 threads (so far) mentioning a statue is a must in game, (over the bug fixes everyone is demanding to be fixed), or people in game calling Cryptic "Star Trek haters" because they didn't have one ready the second Leonard Nimoy went into the hospital.

This..

While it is an extremely sad time for Star Trek Fans, the Actor Passing away, the character is however, still alive in the JJ Trek universe. And while it would be nice for there to be some memorial.. it would be better to honor him in a different way. Ship class recommendation was a nice touch. Maybe a mission could be nice as well, one that is truly Diplomatic. Or perhaps a Featured episode involving the players having to go back in time maybe to when he tried to find peace between the Romulans and the Vulcans. There could easily be better ways to honor his memory. Especially ones that would not involve trying to put something in game that, as far as the Game's story, would not yet make sense. Be sides, we have a piece of him for ever.. his voice overs in the sector space. Maybe we could instead have a way to replay those.. if we don't already? (Can't recall.) Perhaps a Hologram on Earth Spacedock or Fedeation academy, or maybe Vulcan, that plays those VO's.
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theredcomettheredcomet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    His legacy was a success in D'tan and as consequence the Romulan Republic.
    A statue in new romulus imo is the most fitting.
  • pureleadheadpureleadhead Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I also support a memorial of some sort to Spock, either on Vulcan, New Romulus or at Starfleet Academy.
    [Insert Clever Signature Here]
  • captainjk740captainjk740 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    In this thread and another, several people have brought up Spock is not dead in the Prime Universe. Whether or not Spock is dead in the Prime Universe is beside the point. A memorial is to recognize Mr. Nimoy's influence in the lives of his fans and the Star Trek legacy he left. He showed that it is possible to get along with others no matter where you come from or what you look like. Also, it is alright for anyone to be curious about the universe around them and seek answers to explain what we do not understand.
  • gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Considering that Spock has been MIA for many years now, I think it's fair to declare him presumed dead.

Voyager's Crew were declared dead too after a few years
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This was posted my Steve Ricossa in the Galactic News section.
    I want to once again express my heartfelt condolences to the friends, family, and fans of Leonard Nimoy. Everyone at Cryptic Studios was saddened to hear of his passing and we want to make sure we never forget the cultural impact of the man or the character he played. To that end, the Star Trek Online team will implement a standing in-game memorial to Spock and Leonard Nimoy this Thursday March 5th with our regular weekly maintenance.

In this way, we hope to keep his memory as alive in our game as he is in all of our hearts.

LLAP

Steve Ricossa
    Executive Producer
  • spdtristamspdtristam Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Just saying a "New" area in a Dyson Sphere that depicts Spock as a Missing Hero of the Life forms inhabiting that part of the Dyson Sphere. Playable by all...Federation, KDF, Romulan and anyone else as it is discovered Spock was here after disappearing into that black hole...storyline is doable because it allows for a new and continuing evolution of the Spock legend and Lenord Nimoy's passing that would be a long lasting tribute.
  • kwyjenkwyjen Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited February 2015
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    a. we don't include the players

b. there is no return on it
  • jhderojas77jhderojas77 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    cidjack wrote: »
    I am as everyone else saddened by the lost of Leonard Nimoy. I do have an issue with a statue of him in the game for the following reasons:

1. There are no statues in the game of Deforest Kelly, James Doohan, or even Gene Roddenberry. (If I have forgotten any other important people of the Star Trek Franchise, my mistake).

2. In Star Trek Canon and based on the history of the Star Trek universe in the game, the following must also be considered:

2a.) Mr. Spock is currently missing after trying to save Romulus from a Hobus Supernova. As far as I am aware, he has not be declared dead.

(http://sto.gamepedia.com/Spock)

2b.) He failed to reunite the Romulans and Vulcan.

2c.) Captain Kirk, is dead in the game's timeline, as one of the most successful Captain's of Starfleet, he does not have his own statue.

2d.) Vulcans, even in the games timeline, looked down on serving in Starfleet or any Vulcan who had. As Spock had served in Starfleet, it would be an offense to put a statue celibrating a half-human/half-Vulcan as a honored member of the Vulcan society.

2f.) This is a game, if Cryptic wants to put one in, it is their choice to do so, and I will support any decision they make. It just does not need 2 threads (so far) mentioning a statue is a must in game, (over the bug fixes everyone is demanding to be fixed), or people in game calling Cryptic "Star Trek haters" because they didn't have one ready the second Leonard Nimoy went into the hospital.

1. I don't see any problem to have memorial to every one who passed from Star Trek franchise. Do you?

2. 2a, 2b, 2c, 2d, 2f. Sorry but you are making a misunderstood. It's not a Spock memorial, it's a Leonard Nimoy memorial. Refers to the actor, not the character. And it's an important difference. Does not affect "time lines" of the game because it's not refeer to time line or the game.

Remember, Spock haven't died because it's a character, Leonard Nimoy dies because it's a person.
    --
    Quehousi@Tuti
    Admiral - Lusitania (Excelsior class)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If I were EP, this is the memorial I would do: I would want it to make sense In game. The stuffy Vulcans would never honor Spock with anything on Vulcan. New Romulus isnt worthy to have ANYTHING there. As for getting visited by Klingons too, who cares, load your Fed toon, we all have one.

I would have a mini mission where Admiral Quinn was dedicating a new memorial / inspiration wing on the grounds of Starfleet Academy dedicated to the finest crew in Starfleet, the crew of the USS Enterprise 1701. It would be a small building on the campus, you would walk in the front door to a small lobby that had pictures of the Enterprise and clickable memorial plaques that opened popup text to describe some of the ship and crew's most memorable missions. The plaques would only have a faint outline glow to them, not that over the top firery glow STO uses now. Then a door in the center of the lobby that opened up to a scale TOS Bridge of the USS Enterprise. Inside, a holographic representation of Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Bones, Uhura, Chekov, and Sulu. They wouldnt flicker like obvious holograms either. They would be at their iconic stations with one or two canned animations each.

Kirk would mostly look at his view screen with that signature grin on his face. After a few seconds, he'd press the intercom button on his right arm console and lean over to mouth inaudible words into it where we see his mouth move. He'd sit back then a blonde generic yeoman with an obvious nod to Rand would appear out of thin air by the turbolift, walk down to Kirk, hand him a padd, he looks it over, signs it, hands it back to her, she walks back up to turbolift doors and disappears until the animation reloads in a few minutes.

Spock would be sitting at his station, ocasionally looking back at the viewscreen. He'd stand up and lean over to look into his viewer thingy. Then he'd stand straight up, turn to look at the viewscreen, raise an eyebrow. Then sit back down to start the loop over again. Each character would be on a 3 minute loop.

Uhura would look back and forth at her station and the viewscreen, holding her hand to her ear occasionally.

Sulu and Chekov would look lively at their stations always seated and looking at viewscreen. Scotty would be at station on the right. Mccoy would stand near Uhura, and be on a loop to walk down by the captain and stand and look at viewscreen with Jim, then walk back up, and walk over to stand near Spock during the loop minute Spock is standing up and looking at viewscreen too.

By each character would be a small readable plaque mounted into the console areas by the characters. It would also have a subtle glow around the plaque outline. Each plaque would say the characters full name, with starfleet service record year span 22XX - 22XX written below the character name. Each plaque would have the bottom half reserved for the actor's name if we already lost them. So Spock's gold plaque would say
    Spock
    Starfleet Service
    22XX - 22XX
    In Loving Memory of
    Leonard Nimoy
    19XX - 2015

When you click on the plaques, it had a long description of that characters most memorable moments of their service in Starfleet.

Kirk's plaque would be mounted standing up on the left arm of his chair. The others would be hard mounted into the stations right next to them, and Mccoys somewhere between Uhura and the turbolift where he'd stand next to. I dont want any glowy floaty things in there. I want the plaques to blend in, very subtle glows, and the viewscreen would have memorable mission moments as a slideshow on the viewscreen. We can take our toons onto the bridge and stand next to each character to take our printscreen picture with them.

Id want the best representation of each actor's face possible. As well as Picardo was drawn, not like Seven, the animated NPCs really need to look a LOT like Shatner, Nimoy, Kelly, etc. When the actor passes away, we fill in the death year under their name on the plaque. Starfleet academy would do this in their world, now that it seems Spock is not coming back, and Star Trek and STO owe a lot to the original crew that started it all. I would think each actor would be fine with using their young faces as a memorial with the rest of their cast.

Icing on the cake would be to have Patrick Stewart read each characters biography after you clicked on the plaques, but thats likely asking too much.

Anyways, thats how Id tastefully memorialize the original crew and the actors who played them.

Make it so Taco!
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,700 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    They've announced that they're putting one in next week.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The Memorial is going in.

Official Announcement here.

Going in with the next patch.

It was the right call, kudos to the STO staff!
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • jotofedjotofed Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Wonderful idea to honor the memory of a wonderful man and character. In my opinion, and sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere, James Doohan and DeForest Kelley deserve one as well. By all reports they were truly wonderful human beings, and their contributions to humanity and to Trek deserve to be recognized as well. I understand these things take resources, which are scarce, but I highly encourage this be done. I think it's the right thing do to.

And while it would take some work, I think I remember that Janeway remarked in the Excelsior/Tuvok-centric episode that there were holograms at Starfleet Academy or something similar, memorializing famous members of Starfleet ("Sulu doesn't look anything like his hologram!"). This would be a great way to recognize the people who shaped our imaginary universe. Actors, obviously, but what about the behind-the-scenes folk? Is Roddenberry memorialized anywhere? D.C. Fontana, etc.? Ilmm admit I don't know. Even if it was in a specific area that breaks immersion, I would encourage it.

I also like the idea someone had earlier about a 'memorial mission'. Thought that would be a really nice touch, and a way that would work without breaking immersion. Is there not a U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701 M ?
  • comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Just a suggestion to the thousands of players and developers of STO.

Pls let us know your thoughts

Put it on Vulcan, when the walls fall everybody should be able to go to Vulcan to see it. I suggest a big assed statue of Spock on Vulcan, with McCoy, Scotty, and Kirk (when necessary) at Starfleet Academy.