test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Let's fix the most annoying thing in STO - Sector Space

vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
Sector space, the final frontier...................

The walls are finally coming down. The thousands of rage threads on the forums where not in vain, the devs have finally listened and are taking care of the number 1 player concern: artificial gates in space. And most likely this will only come at a minor and hardly noticeable lag increase comparable to the anniversary event. Furthermore, to make sure everything goes smooth, the same competent team that launched DR will be put up to the task and will deliver the best expansion yet. Also there's no need to be worried about exploiters as the QA team will be put to the sole task of monitoring the metrics. They will also be in charge of the doff system transition to accommodate the new maps. The best of the best to make sure it all goes smooth as usual.

Welcome to Season 10: Sector Space.
Post edited by vocmcp on

Comments

• thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Someone popped Sarcasm: Overload.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Why do some people even play this game, if they are so jaded by it, that they feel the need to attack a positive change with cynical passive-aggressive sarcasm?
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    imruined wrote: »
    Why do some people even play this game, if they are so jaded by it, that they feel the need to attack a positive change with cynical passive-aggressive sarcasm?

Because as has been said by many of the stars of the shows, Star Trek fans are some of the worst there are.
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Actually my playtime's been cut by roughly 95% so I have no bad conscience about complaining yet still playing the game despite it ;)
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    gonalius wrote: »
    Because as has been said by many of the stars of the shows, Star Trek fans are some of the worst there are.

I'd believe it too... Look, I understand STO definitely has it's problems, and Cryptic have definitely dropped the ball on many things, but I just don't understand, irrespective of it being Star Trek, why keep playing if the game infuriates people so much?
    vocmcp wrote: »
    Actually my playtime's been cut by roughly 95% so I have no bad conscience about complaining yet still playing the game despite it ;)

Right... I see... o.O
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • kthangkthang Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Sector space, the final frontier...................

The walls are finally coming down. The thousands of rage threads on the forums where not in vain, the devs have finally listened and are taking care of the number 1 player concern: artificial gates in space. And most likely this will only come at a minor and hardly noticeable lag increase comparable to the anniversary event. Furthermore, to make sure everything goes smooth, the same competent team that launched DR will be put up to the task and will deliver the best expansion yet. Also there's no need to be worried about exploiters as the QA team will be put to the sole task of monitoring the metrics. They will also be in charge of the doff system transition to accommodate the new maps. The best of the best to make sure it all goes smooth as usual.

Welcome to Season 10: Sector Space.

Don't for get at that it is going to be the best season yet and the players will love it.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ...they feel the need to attack a positive change...
    It cannot be called a positive change until we have had time to assess the actual implementation of what is otherwise a positive idea. Someone thought dinosaurs with laser headgear was a positive change once, too, along with a bug forum of previous "positive" changes.

I'm not opposed to trying/adding new ideas, but implementation & product realization are key performance metrics in any business. Sadly, Cryptic has failed often enough to deliver the hyped goods to give pause to all but the most devoted sycophants. :(
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • isvarnaisvarna Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Ah, so you're just another smug cretin with a superiority complex. Cool. Next thread please.
    ↓ ↓ This is why we can't have nice things. ↓ ↓
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The walls are finally coming down. The thousands of rage threads on the forums where not in vain, the devs have finally listened and are taking care of the number 1 player concern: artificial gates in space.

Erm ... , what the players asked for was ONE MAP to rule them all .

If you read the announcement , it read as:
    "Sector Space will be comprised of only three maps, with each one representing a quadrant that exists in STO" .

The quadrant are relatively small by themselves , and I am sceptical of this (half) change .

There are also some unique issues do to where we are as of now .
    Gamma Orionis is swarming with Borg , but that is as of now not in the delta quadrant .

... I'll keep the champagne on ice until I see what they have in mind ...
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Shaka, when the walls fell...

;)

Anyways, I'm curious to see how this is going to go. Opening up the vastness of space for a game like Star Trek can't be a bad thing. Depends on how they handle it. Also interested to see how Doff Assignments will work...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Gamma Orionis is swarming with Borg , but that is as of now not in the delta quadrant .

Gamma Orionis isn't in the Delta Quadrant full stop. It's a sector block that is supposed to be far 'south' of the Sirius block. It's where Kirk and Khan fought in the movies.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Good question. I guess some people's day just isn't complete without complaining and nagging about something. DR and the anniversary event have been complained about back and forth so this new announcement comes at precisely the right time. :D
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Is it going to be even more pointless than the boff dil sink and timegate!?!?!?!

Tune in next week to find out!

I will wager any developer apologist a billion dollars right now, that we are looking at a doff nerf with dil sink and timegates
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Only thing i'm interested in with regards to this change is how are they going to map it all out so it makes sense, considering we have massive gaps in the current playable sector space due to some areas not being in the game.

I mean the Ferengi space is meant to be left of Sirius sector? So how can they join everything into one massive sector without filling in the "voids" that they've not mapped yet.

Or will they possibly be adding these missing sectors? Ferengi homeworld would be cool.
    SulMatuul.png
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I guess somebody decided there was 17x too many map transitions so nerfed them :D

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well it makes sense if you think about it.

Only doff, tailor and sector space are left un-nerfed waiting for timegates.

Going to have to research a route before you can fly to ds9, it's going to cost 12,000 dil and have a 20 hour timegate.

All travel via story transwarp nerfed. Doffing nerfed. And the comes the problems they didn't have time to, or rather gave no priority.

Missing crafting modifiers, top abilities missing from boff dil sink/timegate

I don't know, I guess you could do a dil sink and timegate for the exchange too?

So that's basically 2015 right there, doff, space travel, tailor and exchange nerf, dil sink and timegates?

Then every 3 months a new set of notepad text passives specialization points with no animations that got you griding 20 patrols a day to keep up
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    vestereng wrote: »
    Well it makes sense if you think about it.

Only doff, tailor and sector space are left un-nerfed waiting for timegates.

Going to have to research a route before you can fly to ds9, it's going to cost 12,000 dil and have a 20 hour timegate.

All travel via story transwarp nerfed. Doffing nerfed. And the comes the problems they didn't have time to, or rather gave no priority.

Missing crafting modifiers, top abilities missing from boff dil sink/timegate

I don't know, I guess you could do a dil sink and timegate for the exchange too?

So that's basically 2015 right there, doff, space travel, tailor and exchange nerf, dil sink and timegates?

Then every 3 months a new set of notepad text passives specialization points with no animations that got you griding 20 patrols a day to keep up

You forgot to say, they still haven't called.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Erm ... , what the players asked for was ONE MAP to rule them all .

If you read the announcement , it read as:

The quadrant are relatively small by themselves , and I am sceptical of this (half) change .

... I'll keep the champagne on ice until I see what they have in mind ...

It was not feasible to make a single map. As it stands, each quadrant map will take up the majority of usable space on a map. This is limited by floating point math, and TRIBBLE goin funky when you get too far from 0,0,0.

As it is being made today, anything that is contiguous space, is in a contiguous map, save for the split between Alpha and Beta quadrants.

walshicus wrote: »
    Gamma Orionis isn't in the Delta Quadrant full stop. It's a sector block that is supposed to be far 'south' of the Sirius block. It's where Kirk and Khan fought in the movies.

Mostly accurate. Though Kirk/Kahn fought in the Mutara Nebula (and Khan was stranded on Ceti Alpha V), which is actually a few sectors east of the Gamma Orionis region.

lordsteve1 wrote: »
    I mean the Ferengi space is meant to be left of Sirius sector? So how can they join everything into one massive sector without filling in the "voids" that they've not mapped yet.

Or will they possibly be adding these missing sectors? Ferengi homeworld would be cool.

Ferengi Space is actually left (west) of the Teneebia Sector. However, we're not joining it all into a single map. The Alpha Quadrant will be one map, and the Beta another. Some sectors have been added, to square out the maps, but we're not significantly expanding the quadrant maps beyond that.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Mostly accurate. Though Kirk/Kahn fought in the Mutara Nebula (and Khan was stranded on Ceti Alpha V), which is actually a few sectors east of the Gamma Orionis region.
    so why is the mutara nebula in the gamma orionis block if that isn't where it belongs?
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Still loving about "fix" in the title.

In the end theyll just nerf Doffing. Before many maps with different Doffmission in each sectorblock, now 3 sectorblocks. And dont believe they will be able to relocate them all.... nah, thats wrong on my part here: Dont believe theyll bother relocating them. Just another source of Dil and XP gone means more grind and better metrics.

It will be bugged and will stay bugged for weeks. And I am optimistic here, saying that it will eventually get fixed.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2015
    so why is the mutara nebula in the gamma orionis block if that isn't where it belongs?

There are a lot of systems currently in the wrong places in game.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Are the sector battlezones going to stay as-is, along with the accolades tied to them?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Is the Mutara sector in that block not (former) home to the Mutara nebula as well? I always just assumed one was within the other.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
    edited February 2015
    There are a lot of systems currently in the wrong places in game.
    oh? which ones?
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    edited February 2015
    oh? which ones?

Well, just off the top of my head... the Hromi Star Cluster is located in the Xarantine Sector.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited February 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    Well, just off the top of my head... the Hromi Star Cluster is located in the Xarantine Sector.
    and as the cluster is apparently located near acamar, it should actually be in tau dewa

#LegalizeAwoo

edited February 2015
    and as the cluster is apparently located near acamar, it should actually be in tau dewa

I was actually thinking the Hromi Sector next to it.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Don't think you can fix the pvper's inability to adapt. :(
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I'll pipe in and answer this....

Firstly it totally remains to be seen if this is a positive change...it's not like lag hasn't plagued this game since day one.

Secondly, speaking for myself and likely others, there isn't many other options if you are as picky as I am. I don't want to play with frolicking elves in the forest, I want to play Science Fiction. I wan't to play an MMO. Those two concepts alone make your options countable on your fingers.

Which also means players like me are very passionate about their experience and get VERY upset when it is tossed around like a cat toy.
  • mikiiymikiiy Member Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Lets just hope that this isn't going to break the last bit of usefulness bridge invites have for duty officer missions. Last time they redid those exploration nebulas and added those sector space contacts half of the useful functionality of bridges were already lost.