test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Let's fix the most annoying thing in STO - Sector Space

Comments

• tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    imruined wrote: »
    why keep playing if the game infuriates people so much?

Cause it is the only "Trek" game out for MMO?

How many here would play this game if they lost the license and had to reskin/rename everything into a generic space game?

Hello?! Anyone here?
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'll pipe in and answer this...
    tigeraries wrote: »

I still stand by comment...

I'll put it like this... Eternal Crusade is a Warhammer 40k MMO currently in development... I am a real Warhammer 40k fan, however, since Eternal Crusade is going to be almost purely PVP focused with very little PVE (at least at launch) I will not be playing it... As much as the idea of Warhammer 40k MMO appeals to me, I have never really enjoyed PVP focused games...

Since I know I will not enjoy it, despite being a huge WH40k fan, I won't be playing it...

Apparently I'm the only one who looks at games as a means of entertainment, and if I don't find them entertaining, I don't play them, regardless of what the premise behind the game is...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There is another Star Trek MMO being worked on. It has good pvp, it lets you control fleets of ships at a time, and more. Maybe players should go take their money (and hopefully their voices) over to this game
    edited February 2015
    There is another Star Trek MMO being worked on. It has good pvp, it lets you control fleets of ships at a time, and more. Maybe players should go take their money (and hopefully their voices) over to this game

It looks like a Facebook game... o.O

• rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It looks like a Facebook game... o.O

You listen to some parts of the forums and they will tell you so does STO.
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's not a bad change, it's potentially a very good change. Plus it's only a minor reveal so I think people should keep their pants on before they start spraying wildly without knowing which way the wind is blowing.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    oh? which ones?

Iconia is a big one. It's supposed to be at the intersection of Fed/Klingon/Romulan space not all that far from Gateway where the Guardian of Forever is.
  • cecil08cecil08 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    It was not feasible to make a single map. As it stands, each quadrant map will take up the majority of usable space on a map. This is limited by floating point math, and TRIBBLE goin funky when you get too far from 0,0,0.

As it is being made today, anything that is contiguous space, is in a contiguous map, save for the split between Alpha and Beta quadrants.

Mostly accurate. Though Kirk/Kahn fought in the Mutara Nebula (and Khan was stranded on Ceti Alpha V), which is actually a few sectors east of the Gamma Orionis region.

Ferengi Space is actually left (west) of the Teneebia Sector. However, we're not joining it all into a single map. The Alpha Quadrant will be one map, and the Beta another. Some sectors have been added, to square out the maps, but we're not significantly expanding the quadrant maps beyond that.

Thanks Taco. So... I assume this means division between Beta Ursae and Sirius still has a gate since Siruis = Beta Quad and Beta Ursae = Alpha Quad? How will we get to Gamma Orionis? sounds like that will still be a separate map which means we'll have FOUR maps, not three. That said, I would LOVE if we could travel to Gamma Orionis manually (if we wanted to).

The reason I emphasize the quadrants is that there is a text error at the Jenolan Sphere in the Delta Quad. You are returning to the BETA quadrant, not Alpha.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It was not feasible to make a single map. As it stands, each quadrant map will take up the majority of usable space on a map. This is limited by floating point math, and TRIBBLE goin funky when you get too far from 0,0,0.

As it is being made today, anything that is contiguous space, is in a contiguous map, save for the split between Alpha and Beta quadrants.

Mostly accurate. Though Kirk/Kahn fought in the Mutara Nebula (and Khan was stranded on Ceti Alpha V), which is actually a few sectors east of the Gamma Orionis region.

Ferengi Space is actually left (west) of the Teneebia Sector. However, we're not joining it all into a single map. The Alpha Quadrant will be one map, and the Beta another. Some sectors have been added, to square out the maps, but we're not significantly expanding the quadrant maps beyond that.

Is Sol still going to be in the Beta quadrant, or Alpha this time round? Also, is it going to be crammed into the corner again? it could do with being set a little ways out.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Iconia is a big one. It's supposed to be at the intersection of Fed/Klingon/Romulan space not all that far from Gateway where the Guardian of Forever is.
    yeah...what map does this game go off again?
    amosov78 wrote: »
    Is Sol still going to be in the Beta quadrant, or Alpha this time round? Also, is it going to be crammed into the corner again? it could do with being set a little ways out.
    it's going to be on the border like several canon sources say it is
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited February 2015

There's also Vega, which is hopefully now in one of the "squared out" sectors "left" of the of the Teneebia Sector/Alpha Centauri sector block, not far from Tellar:

Alpha Quadrant; Beta Quadrant.
    it's going to be on the border like several canon sources say it is

Yes, but currently in-game Sol is in the Beta Quadrant because of the sector border/loading screen barrier, which will still exist when this new update goes live. So, which quadrant will they pick this time round for Sol to appear in? I'd assume Beta, since our early missions outside of the tutorial take us to places like P'Jem.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    Still loving about "fix" in the title.

In the end theyll just nerf Doffing. Before many maps with different Doffmission in each sectorblock, now 3 sectorblocks. And dont believe they will be able to relocate them all.... nah, thats wrong on my part here: Dont believe theyll bother relocating them. Just another source of Dil and XP gone means more grind and better metrics.

It will be bugged and will stay bugged for weeks. And I am optimistic here, saying that it will eventually get fixed.

DOFF missions could work the same way as they work in the Sphere Space zone, certain areas have certain missions.

Just because it is one big map, doesn't mean that the missions will go away, they have ways around that.
    edited February 2015
    yeah...what map does this game go off again?

The maps are loosely based off the maps from "Star Charts"

http://www.chartgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/star-trek-map1.jpeg
    edited February 2015
    tuskin67 wrote: »

yeah...that's the one i was never able to find iconia on; now, with some details to narrow it down, i found it not very far away from dewa (AKA new romulus)
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    edited February 2015
    yeah...that's the one i was never able to find iconia on; now, with some details to narrow it down, i found it not very far away from dewa (AKA new romulus)

Here is a better quality image

http://i2.minus.com/ixYp3Q3yg6Onw.jpg
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I just have a few questions about it

1) what will happen to the tour of the galaxy? I actually like to run it. I hope they don't remove it.

2) how is transwarping going to happen?

3) is this going to change red alerts and doffing?
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Whilst I applaud the devs efforts in opening up sector space and it will only serve to add to the awe and wonder of the vastness of the game (think Link leaving the forest and entering hyrule field for the first time in Ocarina)...

However,

The proof is in how this is implemented.
    Doffing is the one last bastion I have left in this game (PVP is dead, I can't queue because my boffs go missing every 5 mins and the storyline is good but too short).

If this one/three maps is done poorly and nerfs doffing (available missions etc) then I think that will be all she wrote for me. But I am optimistic and hopeful that this will not be the case...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I'll put it like this... Eternal Crusade is a Warhammer 40k MMO currently in development... I am a real Warhammer 40k fan, however, since Eternal Crusade is going to be almost purely PVP focused with very little PVE (at least at launch) I will not be playing it... As much as the idea of Warhammer 40k MMO appeals to me, I have never really enjoyed PVP focused games...

Since I know I will not enjoy it, despite being a huge WH40k fan, I won't be playing it...

Apparently I'm the only one who looks at games as a means of entertainment, and if I don't find them entertaining, I don't play them, regardless of what the premise behind the game is...

orrrrrr could it be your just BAD at pvp and dont want to end up drowning us all in tears ?
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Does this mean that Gornar will finally be a social zone?
    tuskin67 wrote: »

Also... apparently Galordon Core is at the wrong end of Tau Dewa...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited February 2015
    So really, the sector space without walls feature doesn't seem to be a systemic element, but an environmental one.
    oh, i'm sure there will be at least SOME systems work involved with this

#LegalizeAwoo

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I'm...like...totally confused here. How could one be a huge WH40K fan and have a complaint about PvP...? Is it a case of being a WH40K novel fan, but not the tabletop wargaming? Perhaps the WH40K RPG/RTS single-player videogames, but not the tabletop wargaming? Cause, you know...WH40K...tabletop wargaming and all.

Damn, I hadn't looked at pricing on those things in about eight years...that stuff has gotten insane. :(
    edited February 2015
    Maybe. But I doubt it will be enough to justify the wailing and gnashing of teeth that many on here insist on doing. There have been enough tickets filed and there have been enough threads posted on these forums. they cannot NOT know about all the glaring issues.

Personally, what I am hoping for this year is for them to focus on getting this game streamlined. that includes not only bug fixes, but also things like the sector space revamp that will make it easier for players to get around in the game, as well as at least a preliminary step towards including a meaningful exploration system.

There is a lot that needs fixing and streamlining in this game.
    well, at least there's one major positive about streamlining the sectors down to three maps - with only three, new players won't be able to get lost in them

#LegalizeAwoo

edited February 2015
    wildweasal wrote: »
    orrrrrr could it be your just BAD at pvp and dont want to end up drowning us all in tears ?

I knew some smart TRIBBLE would come out with something like that... But I'll actually take the time to answer you... No, it's just that I quickly lose interest in PVP shooters... I find they get very repetitive, very quickly...

Even Mass Effect 3's Coop format became very dull, as there was no variation what so ever, after only a short while playing... It was the same handful of maps, same handful of enemies... Same principle when it comes to PVP...

At least with PVE each encounter is different and requires a different strategy to over come... PVP usually descends into whom ever has the better latency, can button mash that little bit faster or has the better macros... And let's face it, whom ever is willing to risk using hacks, in far too many cases...

I know, it's ironic as the average PVPer says the opposite and claims PVE to be repetitive and boring... To each their own I say... PVP is just not for me and not something I could see sustaining my interest in a game for an extended period...

I've done PVP in STO and I found it to be just as repetitive as PVE content, with significantly less reward...
    I'm...like...totally confused here. How could one be a huge WH40K fan and have a complaint about PvP...? Is it a case of being a WH40K novel fan, but not the tabletop wargaming? Perhaps the WH40K RPG/RTS single-player videogames, but not the tabletop wargaming? Cause, you know...WH40K...tabletop wargaming and all.

Damn, I hadn't looked at pricing on those things in about eight years...that stuff has gotten insane. :(

Eternal Crusade is a 3rd person shooter/melee combat game, where as the table top is a turn based strategy...

Were Enternal Crusade turn based, or even an RTS along the lines of Dawn of War (DoW2 especially) then yes, I'd have already signed up as I always enjoy a good strategy game... Twitch-based PVP games, not so much...

Besides, being WH40K does not mean it has to be exclusively PVP based... Wh40K PVE games can indeed work... Space Marine was fantastic...

Had the developer of Eternal Crusade actually expanded on PVE content against the Tyranids, which are going to be an NPC faction, that exist for 'balancing purposes' it seems, I would look at joining the Founders program... Procedurally generated PVE content versus Tyranids is going to be little more than small-scale side content at launch however... Outside of random, dynamic Tyranid raids anyway, intended to ensure that no faction gains an overwhelming advantage over others...

You should look up Dark Millennium as an example of what I had hoped it would be... Dark Millennium was going to be a MMORPG set in the Warhammer 40k universe, but was scrapped when the company developing it went bust...

• lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'd believe it too... Look, I understand STO definitely has it's problems, and Cryptic have definitely dropped the ball on many things, but I just don't understand, irrespective of it being Star Trek, why keep playing if the game infuriates people so much?

Right... I see... o.O

Time invested. Many of us are frustrated that after years of supporting Cryptic and STO, they are fundamentally altering what the game even was and trying to cash-out and monetize every aspect of the game.

And I would argue that Trek fans are "the worst out there". There is a shared sentiment and philosophy among most I've met. The problem with fans and what this game has become is about the philisophy of greed and exploitation that has cropped up in-game. All the tricks, the gimmicks, the things that say they do one thing, yet do another or nothing at all, the brazen nature towards the players, the list goes on and on.

In the context of STO, many Trek fans believe in being rewarded for hard work, they like systems of gameplay that don't play on human psychological weaknesses, they also tend to believe in ideas of being forthright and honest in their dealings.

This game has lost a LOT of those concepts in the last year and its the time invested that makes it feel like a waste, beyond the idea of a game wasting time. It never ceases to amaze me why people don't understand why we wouldn't just walk away. It's called putting up a fight for sonething that has, or once did, have some measure of value.

Maybe its a generational thing. Maybe walking away is easy for people when things get difficult. Maybe Kirk should have turned around the second he saw V-ger because it would be too much of a pain to deal with it.

Trekkies are by and large wonderful, open-minded people who believe in honesty and integrity so we want that in the products that carry the IP.

Hopefully, and many of us truly do hope, a change in the leadership will bring STO back to what it was in some ways. Friendly towards the players.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I feel the need tp point out that different developers work on different things. The people assigned to implement wall-less sector space likely have nothing to do with bug fixing or game system design. Tacofangs will most likely be heading this one up. This is an art team revamp involving the design of a new map, rather than just a matter of removing the walls. Like the recent redesign of ESD, it will be a matter of making sure all of the current sector space objects are added to the map and linked to their orbital space maps, which likely will not change.

So really, the sector space without walls feature doesn't seem to be a systemic element, but an environmental one.

Actually, I expect the sector space changes will affect multiple systems.

Requesting details on the sector space changes

I don't see how anyone could think it's an "art only" change, or even an "art mostly" change.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    vocmcp wrote: »
    Sector space, the final frontier...................

The walls are finally coming down. The thousands of rage threads on the forums where not in vain, the devs have finally listened and are taking care of the number 1 player concern: artificial gates in space. And most likely this will only come at a minor and hardly noticeable lag increase comparable to the anniversary event. Furthermore, to make sure everything goes smooth, the same competent team that launched DR will be put up to the task and will deliver the best expansion yet. Also there's no need to be worried about exploiters as the QA team will be put to the sole task of monitoring the metrics. They will also be in charge of the doff system transition to accommodate the new maps. The best of the best to make sure it all goes smooth as usual.

Welcome to Season 10: Sector Space.

why do you feel that it is a fix. it is a reedo, making something better (well i sure hope), they made BO training better, so they can do this better to. not fixing the old thing.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tigeraries wrote: »

How many here would play this game if they lost the license and had to reskin/rename everything into a generic space game?

Hello?! Anyone here?

Unrealistic scenario.

Could be interesting depending on what kind of changes there will be to ship designs. I could see that not being restricted to Star Trek aesthetics could do terrible things or wonderful things. I imagine faction imbalance problems were solved pretty quickly - without an established franchise that inherently favors Humans and Starfleet/Federation, you probably get a lot of variety. Unless of course there is only one Human faction, then it could remain difficult.

The basic gameplay of STO's space combat is IMO pretty unique and cool. of course, I would have never figured that out if it was Generic Space MMO, because I would never have bothered with MMOs in the first place if it was not for STO. But it's enough to get interested in "generic space" games now if they promise something similar. I think only Dreadnought and that (failed?) Foundation-based kickstarter game looked like they did...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Why do some people even play this game, if they are so jaded by it, that they feel the need to attack a positive change with cynical passive-aggressive sarcasm?

1. They want to see things improve.

2. Track record of things that got out broken isn't a good omen for future "fixes" to the system by the people who released broken content in the first place.

For myself, some day I'll be able to get omega particle games to work beyond 1 or 2 seconds in every place I visit. Maybe when I'm 20 years older it'll work.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2015
    oh? which ones?

Too many to go over here. There are a number of old posts lamenting the misplacement of systems. We're mostly working from the soft-canon Star Trek Star Charts map, which seems to be the most widely accepted as well as the most thoroughly researched "standard."

I'll be writing up a dev blog in a bit, and will see about going over where everything moved in that.
    (Though there will be some systems that, due to their integration in certain stories/missions, will need to remain out of place)

rsoblivion wrote: »
    It's not a bad change, it's potentially a very good change. Plus it's only a minor reveal so I think people should keep their pants on before they start spraying wildly without knowing which way the wind is blowing.

Yes pls.

amosov78 wrote: »

Sol is still in the Beta Quadrant. It will be near the edge, as it is now. But it's no longer a corner, since the Teneebia sector is now part of the same map.

If you follow the Romulan Neutral Zone down, and around to the right side of the image, Iconia is in the NZ near it's rightmost point.

oh, i'm sure there will be at least SOME systems work involved with this

This is definitely not a purely environmental task. There has been a good amount of tech requests to facilitate this, as well as some systems design time, and a bunch of content design work from CommanderAnder. That said, (and I'm probably biased here) I'd say the environment portion is the lion's share of the work to bring this to fruition.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Quick question, Taco...

Will this move also bring in other worlds to visit such as Betazed and some of the other Alpha quadrant worlds we currently don't have?

Thanks for your consideration of the question...
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble