test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CaptainGeko: Captain's Table Update Ideas

Comments

• joshglassjoshglass Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    nikkojt wrote: »
    That would be nice, but "just a place I step through in everyday business" is hardly in the spirit of the Captain's Table, is it?

I like the ideas about previews, and a few lore-based/unique exclusive items. I also like the idea someone mentioned of being able to bring a boff or two - that would add quite a bit to the social and RP possibilities.

Yep, like many of the things they make, it's not in the "Spirit". I enjoy the RP, and Story, and many other facets of the game, and frankly any usable Captain's Table will be an improvement. I'm simply trying to say that the "Not in the Spirit" argument seems to have gone the wayside with Lock Box ships and Vice Admirals being spoken to like low ranking officers by much lower ranked officers to do things like break up bar fights.

The CT could be used to give some actual incentive for Lifetime or Gold subscription if it became a hub for everything for everyone, no matter the faction.

Give it a Marketplace, give it a lounge, give it good, voiced NPC's, give it doors that go all over to other planetside social hubs. Let us step out the CT from our ships bridge or Quarks to Q's Winter wonderland or Risa summer resort. None of that will break the game, it would just get rid of the facade of "Not in the Spirit" and allow us to have fun (or not) with it as we choose.

Or not. I just hope they do something cool and unique with it that makes people cheer instead of go meh, or whimper.
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,537 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'd say the Captain's Table has to be an attractive place to visit for those who have access to it.

Transwarp to Captain's Table
    A nice fancy door from every social zone to take people to the Captain's Table
    Items that are Bind on Pick Up that are only available at the Captain's Table
    One stop shop all in one place. (Exchange, Shipyard, Bank, Mail, All Venders, etc)

The Captain's Table could be a bit more social friendly as well. Maybe fleet offices for Lifetimers that are private instanced like a ships bridge or something unique for RP purposes? This place should offer up things that aren't game breaking to anyone who doesn't pay up but should be unique and desirable enough to entice players to want to have access to this place for various reasons. I would like to see the Lounge from the original ESD map returned as an addition to the Captain's Table as well.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • wildmousexwildmousex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Ok - Here's an Idea to pass the time while the server is down.....

A special GPL console on the captain's table that carries stuff only available there.

Items in the GPL store.

1: captains light show - like the disco ball, but instead there is a laser light show with ground fog coming from your characters feet. - it only affects you, doesn't make anyone else dance, and auto triggers for free if you get caught in a regular disco ball.

2: Tier 6 upgrades for vet ships

3: ability to have one of your boffs beam with you as a follow pet, the next time you go to a station or social zone.

4: ability to have one of your other captains beams with you as a follow pet next time you are at the captains table.

5: give an invite to the captain's table to someone who doesn't have access - they can not access this GPL store, or any other vet specific services. nor can they use local, or zone chat.

6: fireworks burst - causes all ships in range to fire off the fireworks show.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me playing UT2k4 (red guy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0DnP7wXnU
  • galanis2814galanis2814 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I agree with most of the stuff mentioned here. I'd like to add a few suggestions.

First off, on getting to and from the Captain's Table, I'd do it so you would get an inventory item, a "Strange Door" that would take you to the Captain's Table from any non-combat area, ground or space.

I'd add commodity brokers that sold all common commodities in game at the same discount you get on the Tuffli or Cell ship.

Dabo is a no brainer, same for poker eventually.

An interesting addition would be a trader who would let you exchange a certain amount of any marks you have once per day into a different type of marks, so if you've got surplus Omega marks but need just a few more Counter Command marks, you could trade them, say, 100 at a time .

Similarly, I'd add a special Lobi vendor there, who would sell all the. Lobi ships, plus all the Lockboc and DOFF pack ships at 800 Lobi a piece. Maybe a little less for the freighters. In fact I'd go a step further and add something like a Mirror Universe Shipwright that would upgrade your mirror ships to fleet level and T5-U, at the normal cost, obviously.

Effectively give some real perks to veterans that people have been clamoring for.
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Word of caution:

If you make the Captain's Table too accessible, it will become a travel hub. It still won't be a social area, but a place that vets run through (wearing paths in the nice carpets and never looking around) because it's the fastest way of getting from A to B.
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This is probably been mentioned before, but I'll toss in my two cents anyways:

We should really have a Transwarp option for the Captain's Table. The Aenigma Nebula's are an eyesore in the space above the homeworlds.
    Ideally, though, and this may be unpopular but: there shouldn't even be a tranwarp option for it. Personally, while I love the look of the station's exterior, I always loved the fact that in the novels of the same series, people just kinda wandered into the Captain's Table. So to that effect, why not just hide a bunch of doors for it on the ground maps that make sense for it to be there? Starfleet Academy, The First City, New Romulus Command, maybe even Hathon. Just an inconspicuous door with a small sign over it that read's 'Captain's Table".
    I guess one could go with both the Transwarp option and the random doorway options, but I'd prefer the doors and just the doors.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,630 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    We should really have a Transwarp option for the Captain's Table. The Aenigma Nebula's are an eyesore in the space above the homeworlds.

Yep, make all the hard work that went into the Captain's Table pay off. Don't make it hard to get to!

I'd love a Transwarp option AND doors to it at ESD and First City...AND New Romulus!
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    From comments Tacofangs has made, I'm pretty sure they intend to put a door to the CT somewhere in ESD, probably Club47.

Making it a transwarp is certainly "not in the spirit" and furthermore devalues every other transwarp ability that gets unlocked, if CT can be used as a travel hub to anywhere.

I would hope that they would consider putting a door in most every social zone that has a bar, in the bar area. ESD, Qo'NoS, Risa, DS9, and Drozana, certainly. Possibly also K-7 and Ganalda and in fleet bases. Vets should be able to exit CT to any connected location they're allowed to visit (No reviving the Klingon invasions of ESD, for example).

Here's one idea I don't recall seeing before:

How about allowing Vets to do FE replays from a special terminal or portal, that rewards with the original special FE rewards? That way, if I'm playing a new character as a Vet I can get that special FE reward whenever I want without waiting for a replay weekend.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    personal transwarpdevice to it

bank exchange etc. close together

stripbar with trek beauties
    bluegeek wrote: »

I would hope that they would consider putting a door in most every social zone that has a bar, in the bar area. ESD, Qo'NoS, Risa, DS9, and Drozana, certainly. Possibly also K-7 and Ganalda and in fleet bases. Vets should be able to exit CT to any connected location they're allowed to visit (No reviving the Klingon invasions of ESD, for example).

How about allowing Vets to do FE replays from a special terminal or portal, that rewards with the original special FE rewards? That way, if I'm playing a new character as a Vet I can get that special FE reward whenever I want without waiting for a replay weekend.

cool idea
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,630 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Making it a transwarp is certainly "not in the spirit" and furthermore devalues every other transwarp ability that gets unlocked, if CT can be used as a travel hub to anywhere.

It is perfectly "in the spirit". The Transwarp capability simulates your Captain passing through a door ON YOUR OWN SHIP. Just like in the books.

When you return from the CT, viola! you're right back in Sector Space aboard your ship where you started. ;)
  • derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    id Like To See The Ability To Be Able To Go There And Get Anything Purchasable In Game With 30% Off Including The Lobi Store ....

Special Missions Based On Different Eras Of Star Trek That Offer Rewards Based On That Show Or Era .

*** Poker *** That We Can Play Either Against Other Players Or Npc's Like Riker Worf Sulu Kirk Spock Janeway Kim Tuvok Or Any Other Charector In Star Trek
    Allow Us The Chance To Use Ec, Latinum, Lobi , Or Even Marks To

Place Where We Can Try Out New Ships Or Ships We Dont Have For Free
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So like... is the Captain's Table like an artificial Nexus? Apparently time has no meaning there, so the Nexus came to mind instantly when I read that.

Maybe the instance can be linked to CO and NWO to make a cross-game instance? That would be a pretty neat vet perk IMO.
  • midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I second this idea!
  • renkirrenkir Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I agree with most of the stuff mentioned here. I'd like to add a few suggestions.

First off, on getting to and from the Captain's Table, I'd do it so you would get an inventory item, a "Strange Door" that would take you to the Captain's Table from any non-combat area, ground or space.

I'd add commodity brokers that sold all common commodities in game at the same discount you get on the Tuffli or Cell ship.

Dabo is a no brainer, same for poker eventually.

An interesting addition would be a trader who would let you exchange a certain amount of any marks you have once per day into a different type of marks, so if you've got surplus Omega marks but need just a few more Counter Command marks, you could trade them, say, 100 at a time .

Similarly, I'd add a special Lobi vendor there, who would sell all the. Lobi ships, plus all the Lockboc and DOFF pack ships at 800 Lobi a piece. Maybe a little less for the freighters. In fact I'd go a step further and add something like a Mirror Universe Shipwright that would upgrade your mirror ships to fleet level and T5-U, at the normal cost, obviously.

Effectively give some real perks to veterans that people have been clamoring for.
    I second this. It should definitely be a draw, a perk for sure.
  • spockout1spockout1 Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    orangeitis wrote: »
    So like... is the Captain's Table like an artificial Nexus? Apparently time has no meaning there, so the Nexus came to mind instantly when I read that.

Maybe the instance can be linked to CO and NWO to make a cross-game instance? That would be a pretty neat vet perk IMO.

Time is not the only thing meaningless about the Captain's Table currently.

Other than a few vague hints at things from the green broad at the entrance, which are several "seasons" old last I checked, there's nothing worth going to the CT. Wasted trip, baby.

I'm sorry, I currently have no ideas for things to be done with it to improve it. It's supposed to be a perk for being a lifer, so...make things perky?
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Except for a T5 Connie. That would be f*%#ing awesome." - Mr. Spock
  • captainkenny1captainkenny1 Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Here is my idea

The ability to turn in GPL into lobi, cause after all lifers took a gamble ;)

But marks or ec or zen is also acceptable :)
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I'd have to vote against this. Not because I don't want to have it. But because, like so many other ideas put in here, would be too much of an advantage over F2P players.
    The Ophidian Cane? Sure! The Shard of Possibilities? Sure!
    However, the Breen and Reman are big no-go's. Those can be sold on the Exchange. And it would be too unfair for F2P if those players who have access to the CT can simply earn items not available to anybody else at any given time.
    And what about the Ambassador and Obelisk? Those would be tough.

The transwarp gate will not happen. I would love it, but it would kinda mess with the Fleet transwarp gate. Which is something I won't see happening soon.

My suggestions then:
    - Transwarp button. The Captain's Table is right now accessible through a small nebula you don't even pass when you are flying to the social hub of that particular map. Adding a direct transwarp towards the place will make more people join it.
    - Remove the immediate warp-out option. Currently, when you warp in, you immediately get asked if you want to leave. Honestly, the game is expecting we entered there by accident?
    - Add variation in the NPC's. I've seen TOS Klingons, 2409 Klingons, WoK Starfleet, First Contact Starfleet and 2409 Starfleet. Where is Enterprise era? Where is Motion Picture? Where is TNG? Where are the Romulans for that matter?
    - Redesign the entire station. Right now its a Federation station. And although it is good looking, it has little to no appeal for any Romulan or Klingon to ever board. Make it a more generic map. Create a new flavour, that holds elements of all 3 playable factions, without having one definitely overshadowing the other.
    - Place already in-game series cast in that map. You could place Yar, Worf, Kim, Spock, just to name a few. You already have their NPC's in game. They don't need voice over work (although that would be a huge plus).
    - Cell-ship type access to Exchange/Mail/Bank. All in one console. Make it a huge console for all I care. But just one console would draw people towards it.
    - I liked the previously mentioned idea of the one console for all fleet gear, as long as it is unlocked.
    - I liked the previously mentioned idea of making this the place to claim veteran rewards.
    - Add ec store/dil store/lobi store vendors.
    - Add the Mugato claim NPC here (tied in to aforementioned idea of claiming veteran rewards)
    - Add an NPC explaining the Veteran Rewards to us. Would be nice to have those ingame.
    - Maybe a ship database, like on Qo'noS shipyard, but then up to date?
    - Give us stuff to climb on. I honestly love to jump around, trying to find out where I can get and where not. Really like the Dilithium mine (there is a "Beach"(not exactly that, but it sounds similar) Mountain in the Dilithium mine of a fleet I used to be in). Add some similar jump challenges in this map.
    - Add Shon/Koren/Jarok/Obisek/Quinn/J'mpok as NPC's down there.
    - Have newly-upcoming ships that are already officially confirmed fly in orbit of the station, so we can already have a sneak peak at their models. Similar with new Reputation armors, they could have a stand a la Historical Uniforms starbase enhancement.
    - Veteran Dilithium refiner

However, whatever happens, don't create anything new for that map, that will not be reachable by F2P players. I am a Lifetimer myself, but I would hate it to have access to something a non-subscriber has not (which is why I absolutely disgust that only Veterans get access to the EV suits, it can be unlocked, but give the others the option as well for the old Zen price).
  • drsanitydrsanity Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm glad to see this being addressed as the Captain's Table offers minimal value and has felt like dead weight since my first visit there.

It seems the intent for the Captain's Table was to be Quality of Life improvements and incentives as well as some interesting theme points.

While I do not, remotely, agree with the assertion that it can't be too good because that is unfair to F2P people, I do think that the focus on the Captain's Table should probably be focused on things that streamline the process of play or making it easy to return to it with maximum convenience.

In that vein:

1. Vendors and services
    If the vendor or service exists elsewhere, it should probably exist here, NOT counting Fleet Vendors unless as someone previously suggested said vendors map to your personal fleet station capabilities. Even then, that seems dubious to me as while convenient, it totally undermines the identity of making your own space in the first place.

Commodity vendors should have all the commodities available, but not at Fleet discount prices, just better than replicator.

Trainers and tailors make sense to have here as well. In terms of arrangement, making it so these are all in convenient quick access to one another (in a proper marketplace) seems warranted to me as well. Running around the station for actual tasks should be kept at a minimum, again, focusing on convenience of use.

GPL store also makes sense and while this should not be a Captain's Table only thing, if this encourages someone to look at GPL and give it some _actual value_ as a currency that would be lovely. It's currently worthless in the eyes of every player I know. A GPL to Marks exchange option as others have said would do wonders, but I believe that's needed as more than a CT feature.

2. Repair services
    As part of boarding the Captain's Table station, could we just have our injuries to ship, crew and self auto-mended without running around to the various on station personnel? This is not a huge add and is purely about convenience and expediency. As there is already no cost left in the game for injuries unless you want to field heal/repair, making this an automatic boon of being on the CT seems a strong QoL change.

3. Transwarp Access
    Even if coupled with what I state above, that's hardly abusive, just greatly streamlining the turnaround time to exit a mission, go back to base to repair/heal, and then fly back to your current operational area. I can't come up with a reason why you don't want players to want to be here as easily as possible.

4. Duty Officer Perks
    I don't think inventing new CT only Doff missions is in vein with quality of life improvements.

However, if there were some display or way that a station at the CT told me what missions were up in what sectors (if hunting for those rare or very rare missions) that would be a nice QoL feature that still requires me to access the missions already in the system as anyone else would; I just have access to better intel. This may not be especially feasible depending on who that could be queried across sectors/locations but it does sound desirable to me.

5. Retraining Token Vendor (non-zen)
    This will probably be contentious but the point I think is sound. If you are subscribed as you level you get a number of Retraining tokens as you level, in theory, worth a few hundred Zen each. If you are at the captain's table, you have committed to playing the game for a massively extended period one way or another. To my mind, if you want to cultivate these players to be your experts, champions and enthusiasts as those who already committed to the game for the long haul, this is a good way to encourage them to experiment with game mechanics WAY beyond the basic as they can retrain ad infinitem without it detracting from their stipends or requiring further investment.

Let's be honest here: I have to believe the likelihood someone who has access to the CT would _ever_ spend Zen on a retrain token at all has to be pretty small, or I am sorely mistaken and someone may correct me. Why not simply acknowledge that fact and really encourage the experimentation and enthusiasts by making this a tasty perk? I can't believe it would undermine the value of these as salable items for those without CT access but some may feel that's too much of a haves vs have nots. If we were looking for a place for GPL to be of some value, this would qualify.

6. Holodeck Test Simulations
    There were and are a number of clever Foundry missions as well as the Holodeck missions on Bajor that were all about offering a scenario to 'test' builds and setups. The Foundry missions, sadly, fell out of vogue in qualifying for being Reward worthy which I understand.

A 'build your own test case' tool where you can pick ground or space, opponent and a mission difficulty alone would be a great little combat test space you could access on the station to try out weapons and skill combinations quickly (what a holodeck should be for).

I have to believe we could generate a 'Training Case' mini-mission on demand with the current tools available and I'd welcome a formal Holodeck training resource on the CT. This could also include Velocity drills (the shoot the glowy dots sims) for people as a fun minigame, if that is not outside scope. Either way, this kind of test case can even be for zero skil points/expertise as the point is not to use it as a levelling tool, but a 'cool, this works for me' kind of option.

I hope some of these at least suggest paths forward if they are not useful as stand alone suggestions themselves. Unfortunately the 'what do you want from the Captain's Table' is pretty broad as requests for feedback go.

Ultimately, I think whatever is done with the CT has to be improvements of substance and utility or, bluntly, don't bother wasting time on it as it will stay as dead and unappreciated as it is now. The reception of the Club 47 updates (and at least to me, observable utter lack of use) would suggest to me this perspective is not isolated but other opinions can and will vary.
    "The only thing mankind learns from the study of history is that mankind does not learn from the study of history." ~G. Santayana
  • jasonl21jasonl21 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Whatever it is, make it unique and something everyone would want. Some good suggestions in this thread already, but how about an option to get there from your Starship Bridge? I mean there's enough unused doors there as it is.

It's likely it'd never happen, but what about another option to convert 500 dil to refined status?
  • dalmaciusdalmacius Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have no problems with all of the above suggestions. I would however agree with the idea of inviting a non-lifer to the Table. Just like in our Fleet Bases and ship Bridges, an invite to one non-Lifer would do well.

Also, to get there by having it as one of your transwarp destinations.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    From comments Tacofangs has made, I'm pretty sure they intend to put a door to the CT somewhere in ESD, probably Club47.

Hey, how does this Zombie thread get a pass???

9/27/14 .... 1/22/15 ????
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • cheesebasketcheesebasket Member Posts: 1,101 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    they need to add Hakeev
    The hamster will RULE ALLL....

Mwahahahahahahaha
  • kev10882kev10882 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I think having a connection to it from ESD would be better off club 47 and have it set for eacg faction so have that each faction has it own captain able where each vertan can visit as a guest but I think each faction should have their own tables in their own designs rather than having one look more federation than anyother thing would be awesome if each faction did have their own one as would be faction pasfifc for each faction rather than having one for all. think we should all have our own faction one with the ability to vistit the others as a guest.
    Fleet Admiral Connell
  • johncampbell07johncampbell07 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Oddly enough, one of the reasons I like the Captain's Table as it is, simply because it's quiet. Getting to it though would be nice if were made a little easier such as a similar fashion as to warping to your Fleet base, Dilithium mine, Embassy, and so on. Possibly with the advantage of actually going directly to the local Sector block instead of being automatically sent back to your origin. As it is I spend most of my time with K-7 or the equivalent Ganalda station. Both of which could seriously use a little decor revamp.

Of course if you really want to overload that Captains Table you could always just make all of the various Sector Blocks duty officer missions available in just the one location, but I fear, as much as I would like it, such an availability would detract from the game itself.