test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CaptainGeko: Captain's Table Update Ideas

pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
Since CaptainGeko asked for players to submit ideas for a revamp of the Captain's Table (vet reward starbase), I wanted to put my ideas here ... and I welcome everyone else to add their ideas to this thread so Geko can see a bunch of good ideas in one place.

My ideas are pretty simple:

1) Give the Captain's Table "Universal Fleet Store Access" ... in other words, the Captain's Table will have a computer terminal or vendor NPC that gives you access to ALL the various fleet stores that your fleet has unlocked (fleet ships and fleet weapons from the starbase, fleet warp cores and armor consoles from the mine, fleet tactical consoles from the spire, etc.) but ALL IN ONE PLACE so you don't have to transwarp all over the galaxy to visit the different fleet stores.

This would be a HUGE advantage to visiting the Captain's Table because you would have a "one stop shop" for all your fleet gear.

2) Since the Captain's Table is supposed to essentially exist outside our time/space continuum and Captains/Admirals from various eras have access to the Captain's Table, it would be cool if there were random "Temporal Missions" that (if the player accepts the mission) would send the player to one of the Trek eras (Enterprise, TOS, TOS Movies, TNG, DS9, VOY) and you have to complete a mission to preserve the timeline.

These don't have to be massive missions with voice work from cast members ... I'm talking about simple random space combat and random ground combat missions (or exploration/puzzle solving missions on a ground map) that use the existing visuals that the devs have already created for these various Trek eras in time.

Anyway, those are my two big ideas.

I welcome others to add there ideas to this thread.
In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
Post edited by pweistheworst on

Comments

• hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I would like it to be a transwarp at least, for veterans. Also, for convenience, this should be another place to obtain your vet rewards. Add all of the basic services and vendors here. As for a redesign, not really sure what could be done, but it's gotta be really good eye candy. ;)
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Definitely a transwarp. That's probably my #1 reason for never using it. Takes longer to get there than it does to get to ESD.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,521 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Although I'm a F2P player and will probably not see the Captain's Table anytime soon... have NPCs representing different eras present. NPCs wearing Enterprise era uniforms, TOS uniforms, TMP era, TNG/DS9/Voyager, STO... That should help with the feel that its a crossroads kinda place.

Maybe if there was a way for us non-lifers to be able to see it every once in a while, like be teamed up with a lifer or a C-Store "Guest Pass" Consumable sort of thing. We have one mechanic we can exploit for this already, trading in the Rich Dilithium Mining Claims to an NPC at the mine. Something similar could be used for the Guest Pass. The Guest Pass can be like a key card you slot into the door and voila! One time access!

The one issue I've heard about the Captain's Table is that it really doesn't provide anything outside of "Hey! I can go here and you can't". Most of the vendors there are available at major hubs already. If there was something that set the Captain's Table apart from the normal Hubs... that might help increase the population there.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • qunlar2020qunlar2020 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Doff missions specific to the area, that awards commodities like contraband, or gama quad items. This would help fed heavy acounts. Prisoner exchanges since it is neutral ground. Temporal doff missions as well. Open visitation to all players so they are not so excluded, but still restrict use to members. Zen store/temporary memberships are a great idea but only if it becomes worth it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I was Klingon before Klingon was cool.
  • sophus84atsophus84at Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    1:
    Transwarp to there, and maybe some major Transwarp gates to other sectors (maybe not all, so it cant be exploited by a tour the universe run)

2:
    Vendors for all Stuff, Fleet Gear Vendors, Tailor

3:
    Special DOFF missions, and maybe even a little special 5 man ground stf , timetravel based, a fun thing not too serious maybe with Q in it. fleet mark reward.

4:
    redesigning it, more open, and more NPCs from different eras present. all uniform sets should be visible at some point.

5:
    a "holodeck" mini ground battlezone where you can take your away team and battle NPCs AS WELL as other players.
    "Mei Borg is net deppat".....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Add vendors with unique cosmetic items they could update every now and then,.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • vendahravendahra Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Since the Captain's table is a ground/interior location, I wouldn't add a transwarp. In the novels, the Captain's Table can be accessed by a door on your ship. I would put a selection outside a door on your bridge, maybe one of the turbo lifts. And you can use it to go to ground maps in other places, like ESD or DS9 or the Romulan Flotilla or the Klingon Shipyard. All space bound locations.

That way you can use it to get around, but it's not as simple as a transwarp. It's more a novelty, and if you wanna use it as access to sector space, you take add an extra step.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    Definitely a transwarp. That's probably my #1 reason for never using it. Takes longer to get there than it does to get to ESD.

Indeed. And maybe even add an exit Transwarp Gate (like the Fleet Gate) that can send you to any sector or homeworld you wish.
  • sudonamisudonami Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    1. Q, put Q in there with maybe a few random things to talk about. Possibly a mini game or mission.

2. I agree with the vendors/fleet vendors idea.

3. Although some will not agree to this, The ability to invite ONE friend to the captains table. veteran or not.

4. Special snacks. not the plain and simple things from the replicators, but unique and new foods and drinks (and tribbles to go with them).

5. A person to exchange reputation marks for marks of a different reputation or fleet marks.

6. No playable ships, but maybe a window viewing the docks showing some new ships to come.

7. A club (after club 47 get put back in please).
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    1. Transwarp

2. unique doff missions

3. better vendors, perhaps with low impact special items.

4. An event, defend the captains table. Five man queued mission only available with CT access.
    Rewards to be a reasonable amount of dil and a universal mark box.
  • captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think it should either have the zone its in look different, or it should be replaced with the old ESD model.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    captz1pp wrote: »
    I think it should either have the zone its in look different, or it should be replaced with the old ESD model.

It is completely different inside and out (except the areas they obviously reused for Fleet levels. :rolleyes:)
  • simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I say no transwarp. Why put that on cooldown. Veterans should get a drop down like go to bridge option. This should load the inner part directly instead of loading two maps load one. Make it open and have all the venders and commodes in the game at one location. Skill officer trainer and other ESD option should be there.
    320x240.jpg
  • avantgarde01avantgarde01 Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Poker game against other players which allows for GPL wagering.

Also, if there was ever a map simply did not allow for the Subspace Party Amplifier that should be it.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    1) Give the Captain's Table "Universal Fleet Store Access" ... in other words, the Captain's Table will have a computer terminal or vendor NPC that gives you access to ALL the various fleet stores that your fleet has unlocked (fleet ships and fleet weapons from the starbase, fleet warp cores and armor consoles from the mine, fleet tactical consoles from the spire, etc.) but ALL IN ONE PLACE so you don't have to transwarp all over the galaxy to visit the different fleet stores.
    yes
    hypl wrote: »
    ...this should be another place to obtain your vet rewards. Add all of the basic services and vendors here.
    i agree
    vendahra wrote: »
    In the novels, the Captain's Table can be accessed by a door on your ship. I would put a selection outside a door on your bridge, maybe one of the turbo lifts. And you can use it to go to ground maps in other places, like ESD or DS9 or the Romulan Flotilla or the Klingon Shipyard.
    indeed
    sudonami wrote: »
    The ability to invite ONE friend to the captains table. veteran or not.
    that would be great
    simeion1 wrote: »
    Veterans should get a drop down like go to bridge option. This should load the inner part directly instead of loading two maps load one. Make it open and have all the venders and commodes in the game at one location. Skill officer trainer and other ESD option should be there.
    of course
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Also, if there was ever a map simply did not allow for the Subspace Party Amplifier that should be it.

No, 100 GPL and its not a problem anymore.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    1. Transwarp hub to everywhere.
    2. Every damn vendor that's anywhere selling at the lowest prices you can find anywhere else.
    3. Doff mission giver that gives missions that have some great rewards.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Remind me to do a forum search and link to all of the suggestions we have made over the last 4 years about ways to improve the Captain's Table.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • curedmencuredmen Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Transwarp here and there! Just NO!!! Remove transwarp and make people travel in sector space.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    1. Brandy
    2. Cigars
    3. Dinner Jacket
  • artemisa0kartemisa0k Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It would be nice to have a option to transition to it from the ship menu or your bridge, same with various vendor's

It would be pretty nice if it included a outside map as well the coolest would be if it had kind of a combined complex featuring a combo of all the fleet holdings in a kinda pocket dimension with some of the nebula and other eye candy they have going elsewhere in game.

Inside it would be nice to have a kind of arrival room ie. the low load time and gfx area just your base bank, exchange and vendor access. then you have the option to go further in or go outside or whatever but this would be where you enter/transfer in just your basic small functional room designed for optimal speed both loading and in getting things done. If you want to enter the main complex you can from here or check out outside but the arrival room would be essentially all business.

Inside it would be kind of nice if they added some features of cool places in the universe for instance a arboretum featuring some plant life from new romulus, risa, earth and other interesting things epohh and other critters roaming around some combined architecture you wouldn't usually see together (dyson lattice stuff & white marble with steel that kinda thing)

Having a node of pure dilithium or something that could be mined on a cd to give refined ore as a alternative to current vet refine thing might be interesting as well.

Defiantly needs access to a club & bar as well, pool couldn't hurt either, dabo would be nice as would the ability to have 1 or more boff's join you.

aquarium with feedable fish could be amusing as well.

a dyson style portal / portals with options to go to your homeworld (academy, esd, kdf shipyard, kdf academy, kdf home, new rom command, new rom shipyard) as well as risa, ds9 and possibly a few other locations would be kind of pleasant as well or just portals to homeworld and the functionality of the others ie. ship selector, customizer & vendors.

Mostly it would be amazing if while providing some useful utility, it stood as a kind of backdrop showing off some of the coolest thing's in star trek online, something where people would go "o wow that's from x location, its freaking amazing looking.. they did some amazing work on that !, i need to go back and do that mission/check that out again" that kinda thing.

- for me those items that amaze me every time I see them are, the dyson lattice stuff, dyson consoles & watery field stuff as well, most if not all the plant life and critters on new romulus, dilithium mine stuff, embassy fishtanks, a number of the nebula out there and a lot more I need to hunt down :)
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    All the ideas raised in here are great yet they've been around before. Simply don't understand how they can be at a loss of what to do with the captains table and turn to us for advice. It's like they just forgot about every single thread on the topic.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    • Add Tuvok, Tasha, Worf, Kim, Scotty, McCoy, Spock, Morn, and any other canon characters you have the rights to.
    • Add Shon, whiney-Klingon captain and the Romulan one.
    • Dress uniforms required.
    • NPCs in uniforms from all eras.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • r0mulannpcr0mulannpc Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In Sphere of Influence we had use of special captain abilities/powers that were personalized rank 4, from npc's like Shon and Worf.

I would like to see purchasable versions of these from all cannon trek captains from different eras, that are based on what we saw them do in the shows and movies.

Make them a pack of 10 consumable abilities, that cost Expertise and EC, making a worthwhile sink for both. That's not too overpowered but useful, and limiting it to a consumable to stop out rite power creep from it use.

Would be really nice on the interior map to go up to Archer, Janeway etc npc's that had a short flavor text of one their famous battles the power ability is based on and then to be able to buy that consumable off them, making it a bit more tied in to the trek theme. and a reason to revisit the map.

Also have some famous battles like Bassen Rift, that we can play, maybe mini fleet action style that reward a universal mark box as suggested by rinkster.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Make the Captain's Table part of the Nexus, include a commodity vendor/shipyard services/crafting stations/etc, Transwarp hub to every sector(including Delta Quadrant), and the ability to Transwarp directly to the Captain's Table with a 1 minute cooldown.
  • pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Poker game against other players which allows for GPL wagering.

If the Devs ever get Jonathan Frakes to do some voice work for STO then he MUST be available for a poker game with players.

No question ... A MUST HAVE!

That, and if you beat him at a game of poker then you get a cool accolade with a title like "The Real Number One" or something like that. :)
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If I may suggest, what if the Captain's table was removed as a vet reward and instead open to anyone with an active subscription? Then the Captains Table could serve as a hub for extra services for gold members?
  • ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    1. All vendor options need to be there (Fleet, Commodities, shipyard... blah blah blah)

2. If they redesign the place I would love to see different styles of rooms from different era's.... like an old bar (like Tom Paris's holo bar) ..... TOS style corridors, a futuristic meeting room (29th century).... and so on, each door way could have like a wavy shield/water effect to represent temporal barriers...

3. Temporal Doff missions with the very rare chance of getting a temporal doff/boff (in the case of the boffs they would come wearing the uniform of their era but it would not unlock that uniform on you or the rest of your Boffs if you do not already own it).

I have plenty of ideas all as bad :P
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    r0mulannpc wrote: »
    In Sphere of Influence we had use of special captain abilities/powers that were personalized rank 4, from npc's like Shon and Worf.

That would be pretty cool. Just being able to buy the stuff like Attack Pattern Tuvok and the like. (Super-OP, but with DPS breaking way over 100K already, does it matter?)

And to jump on the bandwagon, I'd appreciate all of the vendors being accessible from the Captain's Table.

And a transwarp to get there.
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited August 2014
    I agree with most everyone else... after getting my LTS, I went to the Captain's Table... and left after about a minute out of sheer boredom. After reading up on what it offered, too... well, this did not help capture my interest. Since it is unlikely that the CT would get anything truly special (because non-LTS-ers on here would have a meltdown), it should accomplish the following things, IMO:

1. It should be easy to get to.
    2. You should be allowed to conduct all in-game business you'd want to do from that location.

Locking vet rewards in there also seems like a slam dunk... getting everything from BOffs, to Mugatos, to vet ships... this would make everyone who HAS access to the place actually GO there. Why it's not like this already is surprising.

I like the ideas of marks converter, Doff missions, and the "practice" holodeck... but, again, non-vets would probably have a meltdown if such extras were added. I'd also throw in a dilithium refiner, that would allow you to refine an extra 8k of dilthium per day... but, all of this is talking about adding vet rewards, really. Not sure they are looking to do THAT (although, I would not complain if they did). :)
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg