Install Arc
Options

Geko post about the game, his feelings, and the current situation

Comments

• Options
    synthiasuicidesynthiasuicide Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    darkjeff wrote: »
    As someone who doesn't have godly luck nor enjoy farming, I disagree with everything in the above quote.

Guaranteed progress for your efforts is better than praying to RNG.

Yep, Timegating sucks, but the Guarantee does not. Hell they coulda made the rep system, Deposit 50 Marks, Ec, Dil, etc. And get 100xp - 2000xp, Click. Wait 20 Hours to try again. lol

The Old system was great for a few of my Toons, But there was my Klingon....That took months to get enough drops for 1 piece a gear, let alone everything my others had in abundance. Over and over I grinded that toon and preyed to get a drop. And when I finally had everything except that last piece....sigh....

I remember playing that toon more then others, and everytime I'd give up and switch to one of the others for a change the first run "pop" theres that drop I wanted, again on the wrong toon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    savnokasavnoka Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You can trace almost every horrible thing Cryptic has done back to players requesting it. There are many different players in this game, and they do not all agree on things. Somehow amidst some of the arguments out there, Cryptic listened to the "other" side in things. It's sad and funny at the same time, imho. :(:)

In a lot of those situations it was fairly apparent Cryptic was going that way anyway, and simply highlighted the few cases of agreement from some players as a justification.

That being said, some of the recommendations being made are indeed asinine. But a Lead Dev cannot simply say the things he did (particularly the Hitler references) and expect anyone to

a) bother being civil or
    b) bother listening to him in return.

I only read what Geko writes to see how many attempts he can make at blaming anything and everything on anybody but himself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Can't we rather discuss about Billy Clintons excuse speech after he got lewinskyed?
  • Options
    rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Many forum posters are adults. And sorry, being a customer isn't a license to be a complete tool.

Please can that be posted in every retail outlet ever. Thing is people in general are tools. Useless blunt and ignorant objects bumbling through life without much knowledge or any desire to gain it.

However when candid and straight discussions with good points are discarded as forumite rubbish, or feedback is returned back to the players as "you are exploiting the game and need to be punished". That's doing it wrong.

The forums are full of negativity due to the continual negligence of the Cryptic PR staff. They don't interact, they don't notify, they just literally drop by to lock threads, even then it's the unpaid staff doing it, unless the Q feels the need to ban someone.

Tacofangs is the only face seen about the place, he's well liked and gets support from those with half a brain as he's pretty open with his work and feedback for it. Geko and D'Angelo have acted more like spoilt brats. The post by Geko in the OP is actually rather amusing, you can't ask for respect or even expect it when you have disrespected most of the STO playerbase at some point or other.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Many forum posters are adults. And sorry, being a customer isn't a license to be a complete tool.

Are we then to give the man a pass at suggesting everyone on the forums is nothing but an immature idiot because some people act in an immature manner?

A curious viewpoint. Do you hold this out of some belief that if the playerbase is more civil he will suddenly stop his disdain for player input, or does the stated immaturity merely irritate you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    rsoblivion wrote: »
    However when candid and straight discussions with good points are discarded as forumite rubbish, or feedback is returned back to the players as "you are exploiting the game and need to be punished". That's doing it wrong.

Which really is the source of my dislike for the man.

I could care less if he dismissed the people screaming stupid inanities, the ones with the intellectual level of a bag of poo and half the charm. And I don't really care that he is disdainful of some player feedback which is all about whiny demands and no concept of taking the financial or technical responsibilities of the team/company into account.

But when he dismisses good solid feedback -- some of it quite innovative -- as 'forumite rubbish' and goes so far as to imply that all players would cheat if they could, it suggests that the man does not understand what exactly a Lead Developer is supposed to be doing.

If the man was a coder in a cubicle -- his attitude would be fine.
    If the man is going to be the public face of the team working on the game -- no.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    At which point? He's done it multiple times in various podcasts over the years.

Like everyone, he's human too and sometimes loses his temper. Not that I'm making excuses for him but I'm willing to cut him some slack for his occasional verbal mistreatment of the players. Still, he's an employee, and like most of us he doesn't have the luxury of ignoring orders from his superiors. Still not giving excuses for him, but I'm willing to listen to his ideas and play them awhile- tho with a healthy grain of salt.

I'm also not in the 'I like more things in STO than I hate' camp, I play because I have so much time already invested from the days when I actually did like more things than I hate, and I still cling to the hope that things will eventually turn around, tho sometimes more passionately than I should. This is my first MMO experience and STO leaves a foul taste in my mouth regarding MMO's in general, but I appreciate that he's a fan of the franchise and can only wish he can help change my mind about MMO's, and STO.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    centurion47centurion47 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    That's true, on reddit it will be difficult to have more than a page. Let alone 3.

Joke aside, he can always post and lock the thread.

And have people open new "independent" thread criticizing* him for "posting and locking"

*-i.e. calling him coward, and claiming he is insulting the player-base, again...

But lets put this issue a side - you really need to take some time to read between the lines:
    I love Star Trek, and I love Star Trek Online... (etc., etc.)
    I don't think anyone here can refute that.
    When it comes to the business, I have a boss just like everyone else, and he has a boss, and so on.
    Yes ladies and Gentlemen, Star Trek online is a product, and Cryptic studios is the business that makes it.
    This business is employing people to design, code, art, test and produce said product - people who need to be paid at the end of the day.
    To pay them, this business needs to make money - and this is were we, the player-base, come in.
    Some companies will, say, charge for content or expansion packs. STO does not do that. We rely on microtransactions to keep the lights on and bring you this game for free.
    Or in plainer terms, the star trek franchise, and more notably the "prime-universe", is not popular enough to make money in a subscription business model or in a "pay-per-expansion" model.
    An F2P model, lures in a much larger number of players.
    If you consider the chance of a single player to make a micro-transaction as a statistical probability (i.e. 5%), increasing the nominal number of players directly increases your revenues (from a statistical standpoint)

The infamous DR meme presents and interesting problem:
    DR was a financial success ("best expansion ever... blah blah blah) because they sold a large number of DR ops packs - maybe even more then they predicted.
    The problem is that with the debacle DR turned out to be - at least this is how many players present it here in the forums (personally, I don't agree) - is that the next expansion would probably sell on a much smaller scale - people would prefer to "sit on the fence", and see how things are going.

This is an important point for you players, who are disappointed (outraged?) by DR, but want to see STO live on, because you need to realize that if what you say is true, and STO is "on life support" (as I read in another thread several hours ago), and the next expansion fails, this very well mean the death of STO.
    Not everything we do is my decision, but I stand behind everything we have done and I am proud of it.
    Or in other word, we will never know what Gecko REALLY feels about many of the things you bring up, especially if they are tied directly into the monetization system.

Sure, he can be the money-grabbing one-eyed-pirate some of the people here describe him as.

He can also be the guy who calls every morning to PWE HQ, talking to everyone he possibly can, trying to explain to them that this "endless grind/more monetization" approach is killing STO, and Steven D'Angelo can be standing right next to him on this call, and the constant replay from the "Chinese overlords" (another term I've seen floating around) is "it work perfectly with our asian players - implement it. NOW!"

Point is, we'll never know -
    He is the lead designer - a position which is a major functionary, and as such, his view and his stance would always be that of the company.

Do you really expect him to say something like "yeah, I know you hate the grind, I told so to Mr. Xiao, but he said we have to make more money or no more STO, so... yeah... sorry, you'll have to keep grinding..."
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't know him well enough to answer that with any degree of certainty. Would he (and other Devs) post here more frequently if the forums toned down the negativity and immaturity? Honestly, I think the chances are good they would.

Exactly, tried to talk to one once and the forum ran him off when asking about adding animations, plus when most run out of fuel they attack others and go cannibal I noticed, and have not vent(ed) (past tense) and returned to normal after the effect :(

some of us still visit to check if anything added seems like a chance to go in there and have fun, and if not, onto the next thing till something appealing comes up.

but your dead right on that.
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    eltatus wrote: »
    Is not? He was the one that insulted us. It may be both sides foult, but Geko has his share.

If I were a dev, I would like to know what my community feels and think. I wont hide on a "frendly" forum.

Insulted how? Dude, get over yourself and get some fresh air. You seem to take this video game far too seriously. There are various things i don't like about the game, but i don't cry into my cornflakes about it every day.

It has already repeatedly been said, the topic was created on reddit and GeCko made this post in response to people asking who he was. They didn't make the topic on the official forums, they made it on reddit.

How hard is that to understand? You think he should generate a response on every social medium, to any question, regardless where it was asked? or you think he should respond to things as and when they pop up, wherever that may be?

I think you will find the reason devs rarely comment on the official forums isn't to 'hide'. Its because these forums are a complete joke, and people like you, with comments like that, are the ones to blame for it. The same threads pop up constantly, the same people, the same bitchy, childish whines.

Listing legitimate grievances accurately and constructively is one thing. Thats how gamers can feedback their opinion on a game they play and is still developing. However a bunch of raging nerdvirgins, trying to show how cool and edgy they are by constantly griping, moaning, belittling, and making stupid meme's, just makes people switch off to it. Trying to communicate on these forums for a dev must be somewhat akin to trying to console a spoilt and angry child.

if i were a dev i would laugh and joke about these forums over dinner, and continue to ignore all the no lifers that act like this game is life or death for them. Probably the same kind of people that have 9 alts or even higher, who then complain about grinding. lol, jokers.
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • Options
    origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    it is probably because tacofangs and geko were banned from sto forums for aggravating the fans. look at the dev traker. i dont think its because it is messed up. as Q was removed and now he is back as of yesterday so he can post
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    it is probably because tacofangs and geko were banned from sto forums for aggravating the fans. look at the dev traker. i dont think its because it is messed up. as Q was removed and now he is back as of yesterday so he can post

dev tracker is bugged. No one was banned. Taco talked in the forums all day yesterday.
  • Options
    caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited January 2015

But was it Geko? or geko? Maybe GeCko?

Bet it wasn't CaptainGecko....
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Here is what you can take away from that interview

I am responsible for all
    I would be lying if I said it didn't hurt my feelings

Also, the grinding escalation will keep exploding, so f y'all
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1347221

It's warpdustdev's fault. ;)
    caldannach wrote: »
    But was it Geko? or geko? Maybe GeCko?

Bet it wasn't CaptainGecko....

Betty's got a picture on her wall of a wee lizard with freakin' laser beams on its head.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited January 2015
    Geko has made many decisions I do not agree with

Example the Galaxy class revamp that was a total insult to the players...The ship in question got nothing the Gal-X did a totally different ship

However I and we don't know who set Geko's limits if any were set at all... We just don't know and he isn't saying for whatever reason

Perhaps he cannot talk about limits placed on his decisions, Perhaps he has no limits we don't know

That is where I think a lot of the frustration comes from.....We want canon good game play but we as gamers and fans don't know what Geko is up against on his end
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    leceterleceter Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Do you really expect him to say something like "yeah, I know you hate the grind, I told so to Mr. Xiao, but he said we have to make more money or no more STO, so... yeah... sorry, you'll have to keep grinding..."

:D yea, that's what I want to read!
    No resigned "everyone has a boss" phrase. I want to see him fighting for a better game!;)
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would suggest we shoot each other to death? Then no one would fight about a letter no one finds to be correct.

I will start, can someone hand me a gun?

I like this plan. This is a good plan here. Can I shoot up the Fed, KDF, and PVP part of the forums?
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Insulted how? Dude, get over yourself and get some fresh air. You seem to take this video game far too seriously. There are various things i don't like about the game, but i don't cry into my cornflakes about it every day.

It has already repeatedly been said, the topic was created on reddit and GeCko made this post in response to people asking who he was. They didn't make the topic on the official forums, they made it on reddit.

How hard is that to understand? You think he should generate a response on every social medium, to any question, regardless where it was asked? or you think he should respond to things as and when they pop up, wherever that may be?

I think you will find the reason devs rarely comment on the official forums isn't to 'hide'. Its because these forums are a complete joke, and people like you, with comments like that, are the ones to blame for it. The same threads pop up constantly, the same people, the same bitchy, childish whines.

Listing legitimate grievances accurately and constructively is one thing. Thats how gamers can feedback their opinion on a game they play and is still developing. However a bunch of raging nerdvirgins, trying to show how cool and edgy they are by constantly griping, moaning, belittling, and making stupid meme's, just makes people switch off to it. Trying to communicate on these forums for a dev must be somewhat akin to trying to console a spoilt and angry child.

if i were a dev i would laugh and joke about these forums over dinner, and continue to ignore all the no lifers that act like this game is life or death for them. Probably the same kind of people that have 9 alts or even higher, who then complain about grinding. lol, jokers.

Sarcasm isn't necessarily childish and it certainly isn't stupid. To put it in other terms, imagine learning a new language and then imagine trying to employ sarcasm in that language. Joe Smoe learning Spanish isn't going to know how to employ sarcasm or joke around in an idiomatic manner in that new language because it requires some intelligence to do so.

Sarcasm can also a healthy escape valve for society. See the Daily Show or the Colbert Report and look at how those shows rose in popularity as well as won multiple awards in journalism. Many young people actually considered Colbert a more trustworthy news source than the cable and network news channels.

What you're saying also cuts both ways. If you expect us to behave better, the same standard should apply to the developers. See any of Taco's recent posts as an example of how you should communicate with an angry forum. I removed my signature only out of respect for him.

But please don't pretend that only the players are at fault here. Much constructive feedback was given and geko blatantly ignored it, even going as far as generalizing that the feedback wasn't constructive on podcasts (which was patently untrue for some of the feedback). Do you take us for fools?

Lastly, if the forums have no value to the devs, close it and get rid of the community people. What purpose do they serve if communication isn't a two way street and all they do is tout accomplishments, only deal exclusively with pro-Cryptic podcasts, and ignore critical complaints. I'm beginning to wonder what the community people actually do for Cryptic.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would suggest we shoot each other to death? Then no one would fight about a letter no one finds to be correct.

I will start, can someone hand me a gun?

I uh...don't have a problem with the letter. I clicked the link. It's the kind of letter one would expect as a reply to the questioned asked. No, I'm not just saying that because I don't want to be shot.

Besides, all the folks that didn't click the link and are whining...it's just a trip to laugh at them.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Geko posting on a different site just shows what he thinks of the playerbase

its just another slap in the face ....i wonder if people relise he be pimp slapping the bejesus out of y'all....and you smile and say THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I dont like how sela looks in the newer content
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eltatuseltatus Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    However a bunch of raging nerdvirgins.

LOOOL.. have you seen your post? It start with rage and ends with rage.

Take a sedative pill, take a nice sleep and came back when you can mantain a adult discussion

Just a frendly advice

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    scrooge69 wrote: »
    I dont like how sela looks in the newer content

That is a remarkably off-topic and random post, I see you have experience. :D
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I uh...don't have a problem with the letter. I clicked the link. It's the kind of letter one would expect as a reply to the questioned asked. No, I'm not just saying that because I don't want to be shot.

Besides, all the folks that didn't click the link and are whining...it's just a trip to laugh at them.

^^ Literary Gold, they are cannibals V... lol
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    This is an important point for you players, who are disappointed (outraged?) by DR, but want to see STO live on, because you need to realize that if what you say is true, and STO is "on life support" (as I read in another thread several hours ago), and the next expansion fails, this very well mean the death of STO.

I would say at this point the critical fact you seem to be missing is there is very little 'STO' left to live on.

Development decisions are always going to be driven by profit and business cases. However, it's a well known dicta that you can't expect to extract increased profits without improving the base product.

ALL businesses want to make money. Unfortunately, as you yourself pointed out, this is a product. If the product, due to the desire for profits, is no longer desirable, then people won't buy it.

That isn't up to the players. That's up to the Devs. And we have a lead developer who has repeatedly stated that he does not consider customer feedback important in the decision making process.

So, we do know exactly what Geko feels about many of the things we bring up -- he doesn't care.

He says he loves Star Trek, but it's clear from his various statements and podcasts that this is a person very much firm in his belief that his own ideas are always good and that (and I am not saying he is wrong) a great deal of customer feedback is , perhaps, unworkable.

But the bottom line to that is he has gone on to suggest that ALL player feedback is, essentially, worthless. So, no, I seriously doubt he agrees with us on the outcome of things. And if the next expansion bombs due to the fact that he fails to see how upset the players are, he will accuse them of immaturity instead of accepting the fact that the design choices made were badly executed.

the constant replay from the "Chinese overlords" (another term I've seen floating around) is "it work perfectly with our asian players - implement it. NOW!"

Point is, we'll never know

I find it amusing that people assume a highly competent and aggressive company like PWE is somehow stupid enough to think American players will behave like Chinese ones. I think most of the people doing so are basically racists, or at least relying on stereotype rather than fact.

We have zero evidence so far that PWE is that rapacious -- if they had been, they would have surely axed Champions Online by now. No, I think what we are seeing is highly different -- PWE simply states revenue targets to hit and Cryptic hits them.

I have my doubts that PWE is bothering to drive this current DR debacle.

He is the lead designer - a position which is a major functionary, and as such, his view and his stance would always be that of the company.

I certainly agree with this.

However, I also suggest that as the lead designer, he should be more circumspect of his words, regardless of his feelings.

It's one thing to decide that you don't care about customer feedback and that you feel the majority of your player base is immature Hitler-quote throwing morons. It's another to say so publicly, and still another do so multiple times and suggest there's nothing wrong saying it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.