test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Geko post about the game, his feelings, and the current situation

Comments

• m1957flaxm1957flax Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If you all start talking about what you "believe", it's a religion. That has nothing to do with facts.

If somebody tries to do his best, the result might not be enjoyed as much by other people. That's why I take this sentences seriously: "I love STO. I try to deliver the best we can give."
    I admit, that I don't like anything presented, but I don't doubt their intentions.
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Why are you the only one stoking flames then ?

So says the guy comparing the devs to Doctor Claw.....

There is reason your sig is the way it is and mine's is the way it is.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    eltatus wrote: »
    There is a lot of helpful and respectful threads with feedback before DR on Tribble, and after DR on holodeck. All of them were ignored and now a lot of players are mad.. well.. sorry, but if you ignore your costumers, they may get mad.

Just check this Thread the only ones getting insulting here are ~3 people trolling, who constantly claim everyone else is a childish insulting Crybaby ...
    So says the guy comparing the devs to Doctor Claw.....

There is reason your sig is the way it is and mine's is the way it is.

Yeah sorry I don't consider sarcastic remarks neither as actually "Insults", nor as childish behavior ... I'm part of the real world, where Sarcasm is supposed to a simple stylistic device to express discontent ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    betayuya wrote: »
    These forums? Why the hell would they post here?

Gee, maybe becuase when issues with the game crop up the launcher usually directs players here. So having a presence seems kind of required to deal with questions about it.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    eltatus wrote: »
    You know what he meant. We all know that you love cryptic more than anything, but you should undrestend that if a dev responds questions to players on a forum that is not official, but ignores the official forum, he send a wrong signal.

I think creating the impression that reddit users are somehow not part of the Star Trek Online playerbase is wrong.

We are not the "Player Base" in the forums. We are players of STO. We use the official forums. That doesn't mean we're any more spokespersons or representatives of the player base than a guy on Facebook or Reddit. No one of us got voted to represent other players.
    It is foolish and potentially harmful if we think we're some kind of "special" player.

If a developer replies outside the official forums, that actually represents an attempt to reach out to the fanbase, not as some kind of show they don't care about the fanbase.

IF you want to construct it negatively in any way, the only thing it would mean that Geko prefers not to talk with the people on STO's official forums. But that means the people that are active here, not the general playerbase.
    (And even that could be too far, considering he has more posts on the STO forums than on reddit.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Just check this Thread the only ones getting insulting here are ~3 people trolling, who constantly claim everyone else is a childish insulting Crybaby ...

Am I one of the ~3 people? I'm too lazy to go back and look. But honestly, it's a good laugh reading some of the replies. A question was asked...some PR nonsense was delivered as a reply. It's pretty straightforward. But what are so many folks doing? How is that not funny?
  • eltatuseltatus Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I think creating the impression that reddit users are somehow not part of the Star Trek Online playerbase is wrong.

We are not the "Player Base" in the forums. We are players of STO. We use the official forums. That doesn't mean we're any more spokespersons or representatives of the player base than a guy on Facebook or Reddit. No one of us got voted to represent other players.
    It is foolish and potentially harmful if we think we're some kind of "special" player.

If a developer replies outside the official forums, that actually represents an attempt to reach out to the fanbase, not as some kind of show they don't care about the fanbase.

IF you want to construct it negatively in any way, the only thing it would mean that Geko prefers not to talk with the people on STO's official forums. But that means the people that are active here, not the general playerbase.
    (And even that could be too far, considering he has more posts on the STO forums than on reddit.)

For all I care he can talk about STO on anyforums, hell.. he can make his own forum "PVPrs are evil" but if he ignores STO forums and uses others, is a signal.. and in my opinion, a very sad and bad one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2015
    Am I one of the ~3 people? I'm too lazy to go back and look. But honestly, it's a good laugh reading some of the replies. A question was asked...some PR nonsense was delivered as a reply. It's pretty straightforward. But what are so many folks doing? How is that not funny?

Nope not afaik ... but the only real comedy here is :

1. People claiming everyone "complaining" being an childish insulting Crybaby etc ...
    2. Are some people exagerrating, about a single DEV Response ? Maybe ... but that's about it ...
    3. And we're back to Nr.1 the only "insulting" & "immature" people I can see here ...
    But what are so many folks doing? How is that not funny?

What are they doing ? Who are "so many" ?
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Why are you the only one stoking flames then ?

woah, you gotta clarify. show some data, explain. sorry you feel that way.
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Reading through this thread, I really don't blame the Devs at all for not posting. Ever.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It does seem odd that people are angry at sto. Actually raging.
    And when you ask why you get the odd answers like "what else do we do".
    Either either way, it affected the STO team very badly.

It is inappropriate behaviour.

But gekqwow does need to consider not going to these forums and find another mechanism for feedback from the community.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    praxi5 wrote: »
    Reading through this thread, I really don't blame the Devs at all for not posting. Ever.

The devs don't need to post on these forums at all. Genuinely, I mean that. There's a community manager who should be relaying our concerns and reporting back to us. No dev would need to come onto the forums if that was done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • jjdezjjdez Member Posts: 570 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Do we need another thread/conversation detailing what caused what here?
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,536 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    Yes but criticism should be posted in a helpfu,l and respectful way. Most people on the forums feel the need to throw insults and threats around if they don't get what they want.

I do agree! A part of the issue with that is how people interpret the same piece of text. You could call someone silly and they might laugh it off and they might take it to the point of wanting you banned from all PWE forums and games.

I have a little suggestion that might or might not go over well. Smirk or Trendy could make a thread asking each player to post the one bug in STO they currently are bothered by the most. Leave it open for a weekend and take those top 5 mentioned and put them in a poll. Based on the results of the poll that players would be able to vote in. This one issue would then become a priority to get fixed and be fixed within 3 months. Then the process starts over again.

This would make a lot of players happy and it would be a very good olive branch from the dev team to the players. The same could be used for a piece of content players really want badly as well and could be themed. Most wanted uniform, non-uniform costume, non-combat/combat pet, weapon, adding assets to the Foundry, and so on.

My main point is, a little goes a long way when it comes to the players of Star Trek Online and I'm sure that would significantly sway change in the attitudes of the harshest critics of this game.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I appreciate the sincerity, and the honesty. I for one respect a man that humbles himself in this manner.

I am still here.

"je suis STO."

I just hope that Al can respect that there are players out there, that are equally passionate about other factions besides the Federation story-line, and that truly love PvP.

Cheers,
    @drkfrontiers
    edited January 2015
    Question Cookie, what if the voted bug to fix take longer than 3 months?
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The devs posting on reddit never posted on the general discussion either, or under extremely rare circumstances, well before DR.

By his own admittance on Twitter, Geko prefer speaking on Reddit because of the mods and vote. Considering how the votes works on reddit, IE everytime someone doesn't say anything positive about STO he is downvoted to oblivion. I truly hope he is not getting his feedback from there, because it's slightly biased. Slightly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    qjunior wrote: »
    Well, for once it is nice that Geko shares a little about his past. He then goes on to tell us that we love the game because we read his post. And then he tells us that it's okay that some people complain about (parts of) the game, because it doesn't matter and they still love it. :D

Agreed. It's a very strangely worded post. Typical passive aggressive attitude from him. It sounds like he lives in his own little bubble but maybe he's had to create that bubble as a coping mechanism against all the negativity.
    I've never doubted that he loves Trek and that's he very knowledgeable about it. I think it's actually a bad thing though for the position he's in. There too much "I like it and think it's fun so it's going in the game". Like the dinosaurs with lazers on their heads and the choices of which ships will be OP and which will not.
    Also when you've got someone who's been around in gaming as long as Al has, you get someone who thinks they always know best and are set in their ways to a large extent so it turns into an ego thing.

The best possible thing that could happen to STO is Al "Captain Geko" Rivera resigning from his job.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,463 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    thay8472 wrote: »
    If he posts here. the thread will go to hell by... page 3?

Optimist. I'd surprise me if it reached page 2 without incident.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited January 2015

^^ this so this....

Like i have said before if I were the one some of you spoke to like you do i would slam down the ban sledge hammer...

No infraction bans they would be permanent ones with zero hope of getting your accounts back..

I find it so frustrating and a little upsetting seeing how people talk to one another on here as ive always been brought up to respect others and treat people how i would want to be treated...

People can be at fault but if thw world went around like some of the people do on here with a massive chip on their shoulder nothing in the world would work...

Regret and forgiveness are key to success in what ever you do. :o
    JtaDmwW.png
    edited January 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    Optimist. I'd surprise me if it reached page 2 without incident.

Again we're on Page 13 ... *sigh*
    edited January 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    The devs posting on reddit never posted on the general discussion either, or under extremely rare circumstances, well before DR.

By his own admittance on Twitter, Geko prefer speaking on Reddit because of the mods and vote. Considering how the votes works on reddit, IE everytime someone doesn't say anything positive about STO he is downvoted to oblivion. I truly hope he is not getting his feedback from there, because it's slightly biased. Slightly.

Have you been on the STO subreddit? Slowly but surely it is becoming yet another STO forum with the same jokes and same whining.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What are they doing ?

The exaggeration bit some folks are doing. I find it to kind of melodramatic. It would be sad to take it too seriously, so it is far easier to laugh at it - think of it in that way.
  • aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    ^^ this so this....

Like i have said before if I were the one some of you spoke to like you do i would slam down the ban sledge hammer...

No infraction bans they would be permanent ones with zero hope of getting your accounts back..

I find it so frustrating and a little upsetting seeing how people talk to one another on here as ive always been brought up to respect others and treat people how i would want to be treated...

People can be at fault but if thw world went around like some of the people do on here with a massive chip on their shoulder nothing in the world would work...

Regret and forgiveness are key to success in what ever you do. :o

There is no reason to get so emo on the Internet. It's one of the top ten rules before you are hooked up to the darn thing. :P
    edited January 2015
    The exaggeration bit some folks are doing

So we already went from "many" to "some" ? Sure I can dig that ... yet they're still civil in their response imho ... unless some other guys ...
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,463 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Again we're on Page 13 ... *sigh*

In case you didn't notice, the point was that IF Captain Geko would have made the post here that he has made on reddit it would have gone sour in no time. The person i quoted said page 3 while i expected that to happen on the first page already.

It is NOT about on which page we are currently.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited January 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    In case you didn't notice, the point was that IF Captain Geko would have made the post here that he has made on reddit it would have gone sour in no time. The person i quoted said page 3 while i expected that to happen on the first page already.

It is NOT about on which page we are currently.

Yeah sorry what's the point again ? WTF does it matter ? His response is still here to read ... why should anyone react differently ... if anything the point being made here by some people, is the response is actually supposed to be "worse" because he didn't respond in person ... something I still can't see, though ...
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yeah sorry what's the point again ? WTF does it matter ? His response is till here to read ... why should anyone react differently ... if anything the point being made here by some people is the response is actually supposed to be "worse" because he didn't in person ... something I still can't seek though ...

Not sure it matters where a dev posted text, and i agree, it does not matter ...
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    chalpen wrote: »
    It does seem odd that people are angry at sto. Actually raging.
    And when you ask why you get the odd answers like "what else do we do".
    Either either way, it affected the STO team very badly.

It is inappropriate behaviour.

But gekqwow does need to consider not going to these forums and find another mechanism for feedback from the community.

This is this really, really out of the box kind of thinking but maybe, just maybe, the community manager should do his job and engage the community and correspond with them given that it's his job to do so (in other words, he gets paid to do it).

To put this in perspective, Taco engaged more with the forums in a span of 2-3 days than Smirk has in an entire month and he's not a community manager. Taco literally came into a house on fire and successfully doused most of the flames in one swoop.

And please don't tell me that Smirk's job is impossible and that the forums are impossible to work with because going by the common view on here that all f2p mmo forums are whiney cess pools, then all other community people are in the same boat. You aren't some special snow flake just because sto fans are perceived as more whiney than other mmo fans by the devs. Do your job, treat us with respect and we in turn, will respect you.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Frankly, it's pretty funny reading this thread.

The forums are made up of the vocal minority, and while there's plenty of rage, apparently the greater majority not part of the forums for one reason or another are at least supporting the game enough that Cryptic and PWE can continue to do what they're doing.

Otherwise, the vaunted metrics by now should have signaled a clear reversal of some decisions. As it is, I don't think there will be any changes until they've justified DR enough from maybe restricting grinding to Argala for a year (a year of "good" metrics for DR, as it's the only grind spot viable and can be spun as "high player activity in the Delta Quadrant" instead of "players just grinding one spot").

More on-topic, the official forum is pretty self-cannibalizing; this thread being a good example.

Dev responds to a comment on some other forum, with enough proof he is who he is.
    Players on the official forum get pissy he didn't copy-paste here when there was no reason to.
    Players on the official forum starts a death spiral of blaming and drama.
    Death spiral continues until the thread is either locked, or abandoned as pent up emotions are spent.

Rinse and repeat ad infinitum.
This discussion has been closed.