test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wow, 5 PADDs for the new boff skill = 18,000 dil.

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The only thing I wish was that some dev would clearly spell out "Yes, we had to monetize a feature that was previously free in order to maximize our gain." Just once I would like a honest, straight forward response instead of PR jibba-jabba like "improving the experience".
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    OMG U GAIZ

IT SOOO EXPENSIVE

I CAN'T EVEN...

Can't even wait the 20 hours for it to complete because I MUSH HAZ NAAAAAOWWW!!!

:rolleyes:
  • proteus2003proteus2003 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Lets think about this.

You want to try something new. A new build, but it's going to take a few small changes to 2 boffs.

Currently you hop over to ESD, take 30 seconds with the skill dude hiding under the admirals office. New Officer skills, drop in some XP (which you have 4 million of), and voila - you have a new build.

New system - you create 2 new pads assuming you have the skills to do so. Then wait 20 hours.

*facepalm*

Next I'll have to spend 500 dil to take a dump at Club 47.

Crafting the actual skills requires a PADD and has a 30 second duration. I didn't look at the Finish Now cost on a 30s duration..

Once you have the PADD, that any sane person would stock a few of, it appears it takes about the same time to make the skill. Not really a huge issue from my point of view.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Lets think about this.

You want to try something new. A new build, but it's going to take a few small changes to 2 boffs.

Currently you hop over to ESD, take 30 seconds with the skill dude hiding under the admirals office. New Officer skills, drop in some XP (which you have 4 million of), and voila - you have a new build.

New system - you create 2 new pads assuming you have the skills to do so. Then wait 20 hours.

*facepalm*

Actually, there is no real change between the old system and new system for the bridge officer skills from the bridge officer trainer. Just purchase the training manuals from the bridge officer trainer and apply them to your bridge officer. Only some of the high-end Bridge Officer skills require PADDs. Also, the PADDs take 4 hours per PADD not 20 hours. It is 20 hours for 5 PADDs.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    having taken a look on tribble it is just as I expected, all the current skills of your boffs are intact and the same as they are currently so if you are happy with your boffs skills as they are and you have no desire to learn any extra for the time being its just business as usual.

in a few months time you might be interested in having them learning a few new skills and you can either craft your own or maybe buy some off the exchange for EC.
    who knows you may even find as time goes on there may be plenty of free boff skills you will be able to get either as rewards for certain missions or as rewards from new specialization trees that might crop up.
    they may even crop up in doff rewards or as learned skills from unwanted boffs you might pick up as the system works now only difference being that you will not loose a current skills when you learn a new one as it is now in the current system.
    sure I dare say that if you want to get into crafting your own boff skills and want to get every possible one going then it could work out a little expensive on the dil front but for most users the dil cost will be minimal.

what I would like to see is boff skills that can be purchased for GPL its about time we had a worthwhile use for that junk.

just as is with all the recent changes like the specialization trees and such I am happy to use them as intended and think they actually add a new dimension to the game that has long been overdue.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• thegreeblerthegreebler Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    Well, that's a misleading title if I've ever seen one. That's for the "Finish Now" button. Which I've come to affectionately call the "Instant Gratification" button.

Its the ancient alien "pay now" button.

Those guys would be so much better if they actually used the scientific method... but then it would prove that they got NOTHIN
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    I've just gone through the process of training a new officer. It's not as bad as been said so far. In fact, it's pretty damned good.

The Good News

- the interface is clean, easy to use. New icons were quickly identifiable.
    - creating the padd was not difficult. The fast pay to skip the time gate is not bad.
    - BOFFs retain all the skills. You don't seem to replace them. Like space or ground traits, you can switch between them. Need BO3 instead of FAW3? - one click of the mouse. This is awesome.
    - building out sets of skills instead of multiple BOFFS is frakking amazing. This was an excellent redesign, and is a

The 'Grumpy Gus' News

- tooks some messing around to see that this was in fact the way it worked. A video on how to do it might be a great help.
    - Can I haz refund for spending to increase my boff slots for the intel boffs in the past 30 days?
    - slotting the first new skill, invalidated all other skills. At first I thought - dammit - but on review I figured out you needed to reslot them. See note above about a training video.

Question: Does you existing skill sets for the character change the availability of making the skills? On Tribble you can seem to see everything, regardless of toon you're working with. Previously if it was a tac captain, you could train certain tac skills. I now see everything. Is that for testing purposes, or does my tac captain now train commander level science as well?
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Oh that's not hard to f arm. I was expecting it to be more than that.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Well I guess that explains why the line is so long.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Lets think about this.

Currently you hop over to ESD, take 30 seconds with the skill dude hiding under the admirals office. .
    If you still use that skill dude... you don't need a PADD. You'll get a manual from him. And then you learn the skill. Permanently. You never need to go back to any skill dude for that skill and that Bridge Officer every again.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So, can I train existing skills to a padd to sell or pass around to other characters? Like having a boff that already has BO:3?
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    As someone else already pointed out regarding the timegate... how many of these bridge officer abilities are we really expected to need, practically?

They become permanent skills for your bridge officer in question. It's not like we'll be retraining them like in the old system, thus requiring us to spend 20 hours each time we want to switch Timmy Boff's High Yield III to Torpedo Spread III.

I figure since I always trained for free before that I would just do something similar here and trade the ones I can train for the ones I can't. It doesn't quite come out to 1 contraband = the dil does it? Meh, small matter. I will need to buy some I can't make anyway but as long as I avoid the "finish now," it's not going to break the bank. They are forever trained. I want to patch tribble and play with it though but that is more to see if I change maps and my boffs get alzheimer's than anything else. I don't want to pay for memory loss.

Note: Finish now seems to have entirely to do with time remaining and entirely nothing to do with what is being finished now. I'm not going to create a spreadsheet but I would guess there is a price per minute saved.

Just my 2 dil worth.

Iconians: LOL No idea why I quoted you. I think I went back to the wrong post.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Lets think about this.

*facepalm*

The thing about it is that I don't have to pester someone to hold my boffs' hands while I change characters to train them. I can just drop the padds in my account bank and be done with it. I don't have to seek alms in zone chat. I can open the exchange. I only have to do it once for any boff. And I can fire a whole line of part-time employees from my bridge bunks.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • giotarizgiotariz Member Posts: 652 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    random PvE Hero n00bness, can't even understand the difference between a price and a "finish now" price. lol ^^
    Sad Pandas PvP - Starfleet Dental Member - Lag Industries Leader
    --

"What a time it was, with all the world against us, what a time it was... When all we did seemed wrong,
    we've broken all our bonds, but life kept going on, what a time, what a time it was..." - Clem Tholet
    --
    Operation Dingo 1977

• nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I've just gone through the process of training a new officer. It's not as bad as been said so far. In fact, it's pretty damned good.

The Good News

- the interface is clean, easy to use. New icons were quickly identifiable.
    - creating the padd was not difficult. The fast pay to skip the time gate is not bad.
    - BOFFs retain all the skills. You don't seem to replace them. Like space or ground traits, you can switch between them. Need BO3 instead of FAW3? - one click of the mouse. This is awesome.
    - building out sets of skills instead of multiple BOFFS is frakking amazing. This was an excellent redesign, and is a

The 'Grumpy Gus' News

- tooks some messing around to see that this was in fact the way it worked. A video on how to do it might be a great help.
    - Can I haz refund for spending to increase my boff slots for the intel boffs in the past 30 days?
    - slotting the first new skill, invalidated all other skills. At first I thought - dammit - but on review I figured out you needed to reslot them. See note above about a training video.

Question: Does you existing skill sets for the character change the availability of making the skills? On Tribble you can seem to see everything, regardless of toon you're working with. Previously if it was a tac captain, you could train certain tac skills. I now see everything. Is that for testing purposes, or does my tac captain now train commander level science as well?

Thanks for all the info. This definitely helps put me at ease on the entire boff training expansion/redesign.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015
    My only question is, can we airlock Tovan Khev from now on?
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    bierstein wrote: »
    But how do I grind daily research if it's cluttering my hold?

So you have to decide ? if you want to do your daily reserch or craft padds ? if you are impatient PAY FOR IT.
    And that is right thing to do.
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    An advantage of this new system is that it creates new economies. Have a lot of Dilithium and need Energy Credits? Well now you can craft Padds as another route to that.

Have a lot of Energy Credits and want to save on Dilithium? Then buy the Padds or the training manuals themselves from the Exchange.

More reasons to trade are good!
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
    edited January 2015
    rob2485 wrote: »
    Actually the PADD does cost Dilithium, 500 per item. I have tested on Tribble. How did you get 20 hours CD on the item, on Tribble it is 4 hours?

You can change the quantity (up to 5), and then the times stack. (This is how it always works, I The ability to set the quantity is more a convenience feature than anything else).
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited January 2015
    hravik wrote: »
    So, can I train existing skills to a padd to sell or pass around to other characters? Like having a boff that already has BO:3?

You cannot create a training manual from an existing BOFF - be it active or in your BO reserve.

(IN fact, most standard BOs seem to now be without any powers at all)
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well, i posted a pretty clear screenshot didnt I?

Yes very good shot of the "Finish Now" button. And I also see it won't cost me 1 single Dil. :D
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What about the BoFF's traits though? If they are implementing this, why not expand it to be trait inclusive?
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    To clarify on the costs as currently being tested on tribble, a single PADD costs 4 [Tritanium] and 1 [Thoron Particle] for R&D materials, 2,500 EC, and 500 Dilithium, so x5 that means 20 [Tritanium], 5 [Thoron Particle], 12,500 EC, and 2,500 Dilithium. Each PADD takes 4 hours to craft and ANY Duty Officer (Including Prisoners as of this posting) can craft them.

Sounds... cheap. Not bad.
    edited January 2015
    rsoblivion wrote: »
    What about the BoFF's traits though? If they are implementing this, why not expand it to be trait inclusive?

It would be neat, but I think Traits and Skills are two different subsystems that barely interact, and this time, they picked working on BO Skills.
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    except for the people who apparently are extremely impatient or have a disposable refined dilithium income.

Well during the expansion testing on tribble they did have an NPC that was giving it out like candy.
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    hartzilla wrote: »
    Well during the expansion testing on tribble they did have an NPC that was giving it out like candy.

The fact that they needed an NPC to do that, along with the NPC that leveled you up, should have been a bit of a red flag for the developers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Oh yeah this is super comfortable for the players.

What used to be instant now has a 20 hour timegate and a dil sink

- Content killing and dil billing
  • sovergeinsovergein Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    wou nice. F...ing Cryptic hungry cows need more money. Take high price to dilithium/zen for all news stupid ideas. This TRIBBLE managment killing this good game. Old 8 season i playing 6-8 hours every day. Now my playing time on Delta Rising is only 1 hour. People open eyes and stop donate this hungry cryptic cows.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    hartzilla wrote: »

"Most Training Manuals can be purchased off of any current Bridge Officer Training Officer and will include any power which is currently available on these trainers."

They've also stated that this how they're planning the holodeck release (see. that first blog.) Crafting is applicable to those special abilities you could once only get through captain training (ie. you).
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sovergein wrote: »
    wou nice. F...ing Cryptic hungry cows need more money. Take high price to dilithium/zen for all news stupid ideas. This TRIBBLE managment killing this good game. Old 8 season i playing 6-8 hours every day. Now my playing time on Delta Rising is only 1 hour. People open eyes and stop donate this hungry cryptic cows.

So then don't hit finish now. It's not like you will loose your current abilities if you don't.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
This discussion has been closed.