test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Elite Dangerous coming soon. What is Cryptic doing to keep players at STO???

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hell, the hate was online haha. That's how I learned about it.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They had their hate, I'm sure. But I would never know because I loved that game too much to go to their forums for anything. If the doors were still open I'd still be there.

Even at work like I am doing now :P

A lot of us would still be there. I remember playing on the Public Test Server after the shutdown announcement to play the next Season on Beta and thinking "Why are they shutting down this game, the missions are getting really good instead of just good."
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lunasto wrote: »
    I know of one, but it's because the game is so pitiful no one has the heart. Dark Orbit. This is the Twilight of Sci Fi MMO's. So next time someone put's down any MMO, the Developers can just say, "still a better MMO then Dark Orbit!"
    It just occurred to me that I've never seen anyone ever tell me they like dthat game....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, ships in ED have limited fuel.... but no crew. So far they're just 1-man rigs.I'm not sure of the details but you don't lose everything when you die in ED, also ED has ship insurance which will let you get a replacement when you respawn.In ED, you can just pay whatever fine and get the warrant removed.... not sure how large said fines might be though.... or how easy it is to get a warrant placed on you.This is true. You have to buy fuel in ED, and when you run out.... sucks to be you.

Fuel scoop. Fly near any star and gain fuel but watch out for the heat.
    cpc2011a wrote: »
    close but not quite there...

Both are mmo's
    STO rpg/arcade
    ED Sim

Of course with any sort of luck the fact that ED is not trek will hopefully keep those annoying canonite tech manual thumpers (trek nerd version of a bible thumper and in some ways even more annoying) out. So, you hyper nerds stay here, I will gladly play both.

Not only is ED not an MMO, it's barely multiplayer. Yesterday I saw another player and today I saw three. And that's all I did was see them. Granted I'm still hanging around one of the many newbie areas. There's no chat or grouping or anything you might expect from MMOs, because it's not an MMO.

That may change in the future but for now it's a fairly relaxing and pretty engaging mostly single player space exploration/trading flight sim. It's very reminiscent of the good old days of space flight sims and of course the original Elite, but if it's true multiplayer gameplay you want you won't enjoy it.
  • Options
    dmensionhatrossdmensionhatross Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Not only is ED not an MMO, it's barely multiplayer. Yesterday I saw another player and today I saw three. And that's all I did was see them. Granted I'm still hanging around one of the many newbie areas. There's no chat or grouping or anything you might expect from MMOs, because it's not an MMO.

That may change in the future but for now it's a fairly relaxing and pretty engaging mostly single player space exploration/trading flight sim. It's very reminiscent of the good old days of space flight sims and of course the original Elite, but if it's true multiplayer gameplay you want you won't enjoy it.

While I understand what you mean when you say it's not an MMO, it does have thousands of players playing online on one server. It might lack some of the conventions you expect from other MMOs (PvE and PvP queues, big bosses, crowded PvE, endless leveling etc) but it is by definition an MMO (Massively Mulitplayer Online).

That's the beauty of the game for me though. You go deep into space, it's rare to see another player, but if you follow popular trade routes and stop at major stations, there are loads of players around. It can be as solo or social an experience as you want, by your own choosing.

Find a popular area and become a pirate to raid other players, or become a bounty hunter and hunt those pirates down. Or you can fly into the middle of nowhere (heading to the Orion Nebula myself) where the population in much lower (LH 3447 had 26,000 ships through in 24 hours compared to 16 in my area), merely to explore and trade. There's no hand holding with ED, and no forcing you to group or do anything unless you want to. That doesn't mean it's not an MMO though.

Sorry to pick on the MMO part like that, but I would hate it for someone to play it expecting to never see anyone and get ganked in anarchy systems all day long by pirates. But also, I'd hate for someone that would enjoy what ED offers to not give it a go because it sounds like a solo experience.

I hope players interested enough to read this thread do at least have a look into it. It's not an MMO like STO, but it offers a style of play that I never knew existed till I played it which I think a lot of people would enjoy.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I believe that games like ED should focus on development while games like STO should focus on story content. Exploration, trade, bounty, and pirating should be secondary to development for a space sandbox game. At the start of a space sandbox game, the game should be pretty much empty except for the initial space hub and countless uninhabited worlds. Players travel to different star systems and develop their own space hubs that could include cities on habitable worlds. So a player playing on the first day would not see much, but two years later they could visit tons of other players' star systems that are full of mines, cities, solar collectors, trade hubs, etc that were all constructed by a player.

So the farther away from the initial space hub means the less contact you have with other players while the closer you are to the initial space hub means the game is more like a MMO.
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    While I understand what you mean when you say it's not an MMO, it does have thousands of players playing online on one server. It might lack some of the conventions you expect from other MMOs (PvE and PvP queues, big bosses, crowded PvE, endless leveling etc) but it is by definition an MMO (Massively Mulitplayer Online).

By that definition so is online poker. The massive in MMO means you have the potential to play with many people at the same time in the same instance/server, which means STO is an MMO even if it's PvE queues aren't. It's not simply the amount of people playing, and if the game by it's nature is too heavily instanced it's not an MMO. STO is heavily instanced but many of those instances allow 75 players, and chat works across all instances. It qualifies. FPS games don't qualify. They only allow a handful of people per instance/server.

Too many games these days are mislabeled as MMOs.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    there's no way to broadcast chat in a populated area? thats pretty much the minimum requirement once you are past hundreds of players in a persistent map
  • Options
    edited December 2014

That's the beauty of the game for me though. You go deep into space, it's rare to see another player, but if you follow popular trade routes and stop at major stations, there are loads of players around. It can be as solo or social an experience as you want, by your own choosing.

Find a popular area and become a pirate to raid other players, or become a bounty hunter and hunt those pirates down. Or you can fly into the middle of nowhere (heading to the Orion Nebula myself) where the population in much lower (LH 3447 had 26,000 ships through in 24 hours compared to 16 in my area), merely to explore and trade. There's no hand holding with ED, and no forcing you to group or do anything unless you want to. That doesn't mean it's not an MMO though.

Sorry to pick on the MMO part like that, but I would hate it for someone to play it expecting to never see anyone and get ganked in anarchy systems all day long by pirates. But also, I'd hate for someone that would enjoy what ED offers to not give it a go because it sounds like a solo experience.

I hope players interested enough to read this thread do at least have a look into it. It's not an MMO like STO, but it offers a style of play that I never knew existed till I played it which I think a lot of people would enjoy.
    I'd categorize it as "MOG" not MMO. The difference is the level of cooperation between players. ED doesn't seem to have much incentive for players to work in groups... aside from having a numerical advantage in fire fights.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    dmensionhatrossdmensionhatross Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    By that definition so is online poker. The massive in MMO means you have the potential to play with many people at the same time in the same instance/server, which means STO is an MMO even if it's PvE queues aren't. It's not simply the amount of people playing, and if the game by it's nature is too heavily instanced it's not an MMO. STO is heavily instanced but many of those instances allow 75 players, and chat works across all instances. It qualifies. FPS games don't qualify. They only allow a handful of people per instance/server.

Too many games these days are mislabeled as MMOs.

You do have the potential in ED though (32 players per instance). It's not as simple as queuing for an instance in a traditional MMO, but it's there if you choose to do it (like heading to the slave war zones). Besides, Rift I can't remember the last time I did any meaningful open-world content with a large numbers of players anyway. Almost of the group content in the big MMOs are limited to 20 players or less. The difference with these games and ED is that players are funneled into areas to force them to play with each other, or encouraged to do queues for rewards. In ED you choose to head to populated areas looking for action as your gameplay choices dictate your rewards.

I guess for me, MMOs are persistent worlds where you can meet and interact with many other players and join and interact with each other's game experience, rather than only being able to queue for stand alone instances (FPS/Poker). Being able to chat to your whole instance doesn't define the genre for me (you can chat to everyone in most PvP games like CS:GO, Poker, or LoL even), but even if it did, there's talk of system chat being enabled. I wouldn't think of the game any differently if they do this, but it may break the immersion somewhat. Having some regions turn into Barrens chat would ruin the feel imo, but maybe a station chat could work at some of the busier hubs.

It's a lot different to STO or WoW but the players are still there to interact with is all I'm saying. I guess we could call ED a large scale, multiplayer (not that it has to be) game, that's online but we already have the (general) term, MMO. I just want people to know it's not a solo experience if they don't want it to be.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    It's a lot different to STO or WoW but the players are still there to interact with is all I'm saying. I guess we could call ED a large scale, multiplayer (not that it has to be) game, that's online but we already have the (general) term, MMO. I just want people to know it's not a solo experience if they don't want it to be.
    Which is a MOG(Multiplayer Online Game). D2 was kinda like that. Although it at least had zone chat.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I didn't sift through the many pages of replies, but does ED sound like EVE Lite to anyone else?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I didn't sift through the many pages of replies, but does ED sound like EVE Lite to anyone else?

but you can play this by your self if you want also space combat is nothing like eveonline
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
This discussion has been closed.