test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Elite Dangerous coming soon. What is Cryptic doing to keep players at STO???

Comments

• Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So go play it then. Why are you wasting time here posting about how great it is?
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    jtmarshjtmarsh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    clhleroy wrote: »
    The game for just wat i think is needed in space battle fly from the cocpit of a ship with limmited ammo, laser beams overheat, if your cocpit, glass, and/or view screen breakes it suks you into space, ect. Just wat sto doesnt have but will get more players if they did.

https://store.elitedangerous.com/usd/ ---Elite: Dangerous

with 400 billion stars to explore and space combat the way it should.

STO cain't say it caint be done now cause here is living proof it can be done. theres even the fact that if you get a battleship in this game you and other acual people can take up diff parts of the battleship.

You sure you not been paid lol.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Urg... Looks like some generic fighter sim.

No thank you. I'll stick with STO.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jtmarsh wrote: »
    You sure you not been paid lol.

lets hope not recruiting on forums like this is well "uncouth" he is probably just a fan trying to draw people away from this game cause he thinks it sucks and of course anyone staying here is doing so cause they are stupid or sheep or whatevers so he is trying to save us or something :P
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This does not even belong in this section.

Gotta love how people are saying something is better before they even half play it.

400 billion star systems does not mean better.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    cidjack wrote: »
    This game has already has it's own thread on the forums.

Ask Santa for dictionary for Christmas, so you can look you the word, SEARCH.

Threads*

They got to shill so hard players want to ban them
    First players got to report them
    What's 50 reports to a shill like them
    Can a CM please remind them?
    Shill so hard, this TRIBBLE crazy
    Y'all know that reports don't phase them
    The KDF ships count could go 0 for 82
    And I look at you like this stuff crazy
    Shill so hard this TRIBBLE weird because
    Talking about this game ain't even supposed to be here
    Shill so hard since they here
    They can't be right because they are still here
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,119 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Here we go. Yet ANOTHER hype thread.

From what I've heard, its like Wing Commander Privateer. Only without the Kilrathi.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So can you visit the planets in these 400 billion star systems and encounter new civilizations? You might not be able to encounter new civilizations in No Man's Sky, but at least you can visit the planets in it. For Star Trek exploration, you need a more complex system of procedurally generated content for it to work properly. Scan 5 rocks and kill 5 groups of enemies might be great for ED and NMS, but not for Star Trek.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Elite dangerous does look very impressive, but it's difficult to compare sto and ed as they are very different games. The only real similarity is that they both take place in space.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This game is no comparison.

Its not Star Trek.

So how can it be better, when its not even on the same level.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    wintiemintiewintiemintie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    TBH if I was to play a space game other than STO, it'd be Dreadnought before Elite Dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHjI5mgGcRo
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    TBH if I was to play a space game other than STO, it'd be Dreadnought before Elite Dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHjI5mgGcRo

How is that a space game? A space game is supposed to be in space.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Wow and people complain about Cryptic being greedy with their micro-transactions. That piece of [redacted] company wants $17.50 for a paint scheme that can only be used on a single ship..

What a [redacted] rip-off.

Well it is the gold version of the ship and the others are about $5, but they should be free since they are just basic paint jobs for most of them.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    How is that a space game? A space game is supposed to be in space.

And a game that is a "better" STO should be set in Star Trek Universe.

These forums don't run on logic. Bring it here only bring pain and DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

edit
    Well it is the gold version of the ship and the others are about $5, but they should be free since they are just basic paint jobs for most of them.

Are you using it is ok for them to charge people pretty much 18 dollars for a skin?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Are you using it is ok for them to charge people pretty much 18 dollars for a skin?

I am saying it is expected for them to charge that much for a luxury item. Players with money want to have some way to brag about their wealth and that is what the 500 million EC ships are all about. Except those ships have an actual use instead of being just luxury cosmetic junk.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ummax wrote: »
    lets hope not recruiting on forums like this is well "uncouth" he is probably just a fan trying to draw people away from this game cause he thinks it sucks and of course anyone staying here is doing so cause they are stupid or sheep or whatevers so he is trying to save us or something :P

Of course we are sheep, anyone who doesn't like what he does and has opinions which differ from him are sheep.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I am saying it is expected for them to charge that much for a luxury item. Players with money want to have some way to brag about their wealth and that is what the 500 million EC ships are all about. Except those ships have an actual use instead of being just luxury cosmetic junk.

So yes. It is ok to charge players 18 dollars for a skin. I wonder what would happen if STO tried to pull that off.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So yes. It is ok to charge players 18 dollars for a skin. I wonder what would happen if STO tried to pull that off.

alot of crying about how wrong it is and buying them anyway? :P

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    Of course we are sheep, anyone who doesn't like what he does and has opinions which differ from him are sheep.

baaaaaaaaaaaahhh !
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    nightken wrote: »
    alot of crying about how wrong it is and buying them anyway? :P

Quite possibly the truthiest thing in this thread.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Maaan for people who whine about doing the same thing over and over, sure a lot of the same topic going around
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    captnimmocaptnimmo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    I look at Elite Dangerous, and think about how that should crush STO.
    I look at Eve, and think about how that should crush STO.
    I look at Star Citizen, and think about how that should crush STO.
    I look at Dreadnought, and think about how that should crush STO.
    Heck, I look at Spore, and think about how it would crush STO if it were a modern MMO.

But in the end, none will crush STO because none have the Trek logo on them. The only reason anyone forks over money into this hideous system is because it is thinly wrapped in Trek names and looks. The only thing that could crush STO is another Trek MMO, or PWE's own stupidity. I am inclined to believe it will be the latter.

its so true, i love Artimis http://www.artemis.eochu.com/ but you cant find bridge crew all the time its not built for single player and the game itself is more of a bridge simulator with extremely limited world depth but fantastic bridge coop with 3-6 person bridge crews working dynamically at ship stations taking orders from the captain giving everyone a real startrek experience. I would play Star Citizen if i had super computer money but in the end this is the only StarTrek sim the last being Startrek Bridge Commander which had any things i wish were carried over in STO but thats another topic for another day..
  • Options
    edited December 2014

It is no different than spending $20 on any other vanity item. The precedent is set for spending tons of cash on vanity items. So how is it alright for one company to do it and not for another?

Do you know what a luxury item is? They are for people that have too much disposable income and want to show off. The Jem'Hadar Attack Ship, Voth Bulwark Dreadnought Cruiser, and Elachi Sheshar Dreadnought Cruiser are all luxury items in STO. Also, look at all the disgusting Gourmet food that costs hundreds of dollars. There is something to be said for paying that much money for a masterfully crafted dinner that sends you to Nirvana. It is something else to pay that much money on Bird Nest soup. And yes, there is a soup that is actually made using bird nests of a particular species.

Besides Cryptic used to sell "paint jobs" on the C-Store for about $5 until Season 6 when you needed to buy the Fleet ship to unlock it.
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    clhleroy wrote: »
    NONE its the fact that STO sayes it cain't be done when it acualy can. im not happy that they think that the have the right to say it cain't be done when Elite Dangerous game is living proof.

Watch as you find even more game crippling bugs than STO, and we're all proven right. Matter of fact, anyone willing to take on a 10 quid bet that this "Elite Dangerous" will have an even more whiner player base by launch's end?
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    How much are they paying you to shill for their game?

im betting this is that "stuart" in one of his other accounts throwing up free advertisement for a direct competitor. we already had this advertisement before, its not needed twice.
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Elite dangerous does look very impressive, but it's difficult to compare sto and ed as they are very different games. The only real similarity is that they both take place in space.

both sci-fi, both space setting, where is the difference?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    snowpig74snowpig74 Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    seems you have never played the old Elite games. Try that, then decide ;)
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Any screens of the Defiant in this new game?

400 billion stars? How many of them have "Class M" planets? Can I do first contacts with new species? Is there a story mission for every star? Or just for every class M planet?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    synthiasuicidesynthiasuicide Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited December 2014

If Elite Dangerous was F2P, honetsly I wouldn't see what, or how high priced vanity items would be. But the games $60 out the gate. So I definetly saw that and was like WTF? lol

That said I am interested in the game, but would in no way replace STO. It's a Flight Sim. And looks to be the right setting for me to enjoy. But, Nothing Like STO.

And its very Antisocial without a ground aspect.

STo is like Arcade action. ED is a flight sim.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Another "better than STO thread"?

I'm now playing both (pre-purchased Elite a few weeks ago) so lets get a few things straight here OP:

1. Elite isn't BETTER than STO, its DIFFERENT :rolleyes:. They are completely different animals that have vastly different mindsets/design methodologies behind them.

2. Saying one is better than the other is quite frankly plain daft. The both use very VERY different engines. In Cryptics defence I think its safe to say that because of time constraints laid down by CBS they had to rapidly modify the one used in another game of theirs. Because of this Cryptics engine has certain limitations which prevent it doing the same "magic" as the Elite engine. Thats not to say it never will, as Iconians has said its just investment of time. Elites engine has been written from the ground up.

3. Elite will never be STO because as someone has already pointed out it isn't TREK. Its been my observation that this is the most important thing to the people who play STO. That very reason alone keeps me dropping in and out, although lately its just been to set off reputation projects and doff missions.

4. Elite is good, very good but also has issues the same as STO, however its new so the test will be to see how the team handle those issues and how the game develops.

Naive comments along the lines of "Game X can do this so game Y must be able to! make it do it NAU!" always amuse me.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Why does Zelda not play like Tertris!!!!!!

Clearly Tetris is superior to Zelda in every way

Am I the only one who hears Dr. Evil when someone brings up the 400 BILLION planets thing
    GwaoHAD.png
This discussion has been closed.