test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Elite Dangerous coming soon. What is Cryptic doing to keep players at STO???

Comments

• Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Looks like Massively got paid to trash SC. Knowing how close massively and cryptic are I wonder......

TIN FOIL for sell! TIN FOIL FOR SELL! FOR YOUR POTATOES, SANDWICHES, AND OTHER FOODSTUFFS!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    Well, younguns...

ELITE was a game for apple II E machines. Yep, the old 1 color green monitor PC from 1983 or so with 2 floppy drives and no hard disk. It was a space trading game with some combat.

ELITE plus was a dos game for the 386 era, very similar but it had 256 color mode and ran faster, smoother, and had more to do. It is fun, but heavily exploitable. With fuel scoops and 4 missiles you can pirate your entire cargo bay full off NPC traders (don't even fight back, just 1 missile as you fly over the top) and make millions in a few hours of play (that is a lot of money in the game... a LOT of money). If you do not exploit, it takes a couple of months to max out your ship and see a few galaxies before the boredom sets in. Mostly, its kind of a relaxing easy game, and mostly, its about making money ... and after a point, more money is pointless.

Elite dangerous is a rehash of some sort.

The original games produced *massive* universes of randomly generated starmaps. It was all created by algorithm, not stored. Kind of like the original ARENA/elder scrolls maps/game was dynamic/algorithm created. This allowed large games to exist without storing all the info for the massive universes.

Now with some background, go read up on the latest in the series. If it holds true to the theme, it will be exploration and trade based, with combat but not built AROUND combat as a main feature.

I may look into it, I still have elite plus installed lol, and it still runs on current windows machines (not sure if 64 bit killed it, I still have a 32 bit machine here at work, :eek:).
    From what I've heard based on youtube videos and reading the ED wiki, ED has 6 categories of things to do:
    1: explore, you can get money for charting new stuff

2: PvE, which under certain circumstances can become PvEvP... (players are private contractors and can enter naval battles on either side. Which means you might have to fight other players who picked the other side.)

3: optional PvP

4: bounty hunting, granted you need to have a bounty placed on you by an AI, but when that happens other players can hunt you down and kill you for the bounty.

5: Trade, different planets sell different stuff, seriously it's as simple as buy fish take to planet X, buy rocks, take to planet Y....

6: government contracts. Not sure how detailed these are but they're PvE missions where you get money for doing something.

Oh and the ED galaxy is persistent.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    From what I've heard based on youtube videos and reading the ED wiki, ED has 6 categories of things to do:
    1: explore, you can get money for charting new stuff

2: PvE, which under certain circumstances can become PvEvP... (players are private contractors and can enter naval battles on either side. Which means you might have to fight other players who picked the other side.)

3: optional PvP

4: bounty hunting, granted you need to have a bounty placed on you by an AI, but when that happens other players can hunt you down and kill you for the bounty.

5: Trade, different planets sell different stuff, seriously it's as simple as buy fish take to planet X, buy rocks, take to planet Y....

6: government contracts. Not sure how detailed these are but they're PvE missions where you get money for doing something.

Oh and the ED galaxy is persistent.

Heh, everything but bounty hunting is in STO.

Coincidence ? Will ED players eventually be bored too ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited December 2014

There is still Exploration in STO ... ??? That's the number 1 selling point here I guess ... as bad as they were I really miss Exploration Clusters ... and ED provides an Exploration Cluster as big as the galaxy, probably without the 3rd Borg Dynasty :P ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited December 2014

What are you smoking?

STO does not have any (1) open exploration, (3) bounties, (5) commodity trading
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They are not direct competitors at all. They are as similar as Company Of Heroes and Battlefield 1942. The only thing they have in common is spaceships in the future.

ED's competition is Star Citizen but that still has a year to go.

and your comment holds as much weight as a boat sinking tied to dead weight...

elite dangerous is sci fi, set in space, sto is sci and set in space, star citizen is sci fi and set in space, each of the developers of various companies are competing with each other for numbers and which is best, early days yet on elite and star..

... sto is a direct competitor unless ive forgotten the idea of what scfi, space travel and dogfights in space are..

your arguing this because??
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    What are you smoking?

STO does not have any (1) open exploration, (3) bounties, (5) commodity trading

I did say it didn't have bounty hunting, and I forgot they removed star clusters so no more 'exploring' (LOL :D) but commodity trading is the exchange. loot rocks or gear- sell for $$$. You could also buy from vendors and sell on the exchange, provided you can find a sucker that'll actually buy your junk.

Actually you could consider open exploration as mission replay since you go to exotic ingame locations and kill things, and loot them- right ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Actually you could consider open exploration as mission replay since you go to exotic ingame locations and kill things, and loot them- right ?

No !? ... even Cryptic didn't try to pull that one, they used the Foundry as an excuse :P ... by that logic you could consider a bicycle a car, because it got wheels ...
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I did say it didn't have bounty hunting, and I forgot they removed star clusters so no more 'exploring' (LOL :D) but commodity trading is the exchange. loot rocks or gear- sell for $$$. You could also buy from vendors and sell on the exchange, provided you can find a sucker that'll actually buy your junk.

buying and selling on the exchange is not at all the same thing as complex dynamic traderoutes as an alternative source of steady income. STO has nothing at all like that.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    No !? ... even Cryptic didn't try to pull that one, they used the Foundry as an excuse :P ... by that logic you could consider a bicycle a car, because it got wheels ...

Heh, everything ingame is free- even that snazzy lockbox dread. grind,grind,grind, buy key, open lockbox, rinse and repeat.

...just saying
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    edited December 2014
    buying and selling on the exchange is not at all the same thing as complex dynamic traderoutes as an alternative source of steady income. STO has nothing at all like that.

Tsk, tsk. You forget the earther 'economy' of Roddenberry's Star Trek was based on a Marxist utopia of a barter system- they didn't use money. What they needed to 'buy' was basically traded for with an item created by a proper application of an industrial replicator.
    :P
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited December 2014
    aoax10 wrote: »
    There is probably a higher probability that MMOs create their own dents without other games touching them.

I'd love to see a list of late games broken into two categories: games that closed due to some internal failure or flaw, and games that closed because of one or more other games (at least generally agreed that X killed Y). I suspect there'd be few in the second category. On the other hand, I can think of a couple immediately from the first column: Star Wars Galaxy and Tabula Rasa. I suspect the much sighed after City of Heroes was the same.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Heh, everything ingame is free- even that snazzy lockbox dread. grind,grind,grind, buy key, open lockbox, rinse and repeat.

...just saying

Context ? What has "everything is free" to do with "Exploration" ...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Context ? What has "everything is free" to do with "Exploration" ...

A bicycle and a car are wheeled vehicles.
    ;)
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    edited December 2014
    A bicycle and a car are wheeled vehicles.
    ;)

But ... "Exploration" & "Free Stuff" aren't ... more like a bicycle & a sandwich ... :P

btw the Azure Nebula is blue ... not sure what is has to do with anything ... "but it's Blue & for free" ...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    But ... "Exploration" & "Free Stuff" aren't ... more like a bicycle & a sandwich ... :P

True, but exploration is just going somewhere and looking around, doesn't necessarily have to be someplace new. So exploring can be just replaying a mission you've already played thru, to re-loot and re-kill all those you might have visited earlier.

So my analogy is true...from a certain point of view. Just like the lockbox dread is free.
    :)
    Certainly those removed exploration clusters were more 'exploration' than replays, but only in that you went to a random place instead of somewhere thats always the same.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    edited December 2014
    doesn't necessarily have to be someplace new.

Well ... that's exactly what it means ...
    ex•plo•ra•tion
    (ˌɛk spləˈreɪ ʃən)

1. the investigation of unknown regions.

Not sure where this is supposed to be going ... you're just arguing about semantics (that don't even make any sense) ... let's pretend "Exploration" is "Mission Replay for the 50th time", but even if that's the case, you should clearly see the difference ...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Well ... that's exactly what it means ...

:?

I go exploring the refrigerator every night when I get home, just because I can't remember whats in there, or I may find something new.

:D
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    edited December 2014
    doesn't necessarily have to be someplace new.

I go exploring the refrigerator every night when I get home, just because I can't remember whats in there, or I may find something new.

q.e.d. ... I rest my case :P
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014

That explains a lot, actually.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I'm currently holding a peace treaty with my underwear in the dirty washing basket after I violated their space yesterday while exploring a dangerous region in the Stinky Sock nebula.

Have you considered making Profit ?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/tO5sxLapAts/hqdefault.jpg
  • Options
    unamusedhamster#5076 unamusedhamster Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The game for just wat i think is needed in space battle fly from the cocpit of a ship with limmited ammo, laser beams overheat, if your cocpit, glass, and/or view screen breakes it suks you into space, ect. Just wat sto doesnt have but will get more players if they did.

https://store.elitedangerous.com/usd/ ---Elite: Dangerous

with 400 billion stars to explore and space combat the way it should.

STO cain't say it caint be done now cause here is living proof it can be done. theres even the fact that if you get a battleship in this game you and other acual people can take up diff parts of the battleship.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    How much are they paying you to shill for their game?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    unamusedhamster#5076 unamusedhamster Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    How much are they paying you to shill for their game?

NONE its the fact that STO sayes it cain't be done when it acualy can. im not happy that they think that the have the right to say it cain't be done when Elite Dangerous game is living proof.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This game has already has it's own thread on the forums.

Ask Santa for dictionary for Christmas, so you can look you the word, SEARCH.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Oh sh*t, dude is that real? You can talk to your ship's computer and it will actually do what you tell it to do?

Okay, I need a new computer.

Not only is it real, but you can preface everything with "computer" which is what I plan to do. And did you catch the part where he asked the computer what a certain commodity was and it answered?

It's 3rd party software mind you. I bet it's quite possible for someone to develop the same thing for STO. I actually wonder why nobody has even though I realize it would be a lot more difficult for the user to set up (every character and every ship has different layouts and skills, unlike ED). I have a feeling every STO player would want to talk to their ships' computers, and if they could synthesize a Majel Barrett voice...
    and your comment holds as much weight as a boat sinking tied to dead weight...

elite dangerous is sci fi, set in space, sto is sci and set in space, star citizen is sci fi and set in space, each of the developers of various companies are competing with each other for numbers and which is best, early days yet on elite and star..

... sto is a direct competitor unless ive forgotten the idea of what scfi, space travel and dogfights in space are..

your arguing this because??

Do you have any idea what ED is? What you said is like saying the indian restaurant down the street is direct competition for the italian restaurant across town. Yeah both serve food but they're completely different, just like my CoH and BF1942 example. They're both WW2, both historical, both axis vs allies, yet they didn't compete with each other because they're completely different kinds of games.

I played ED a lot today, and have played STO for years now. Trust me, they're nothing alike. ED is barely a multiplayer game let alone MMO (it is most definitely NOT an MMO. I repeat, NOT an MMO), and STO is nothing close to the first person exploration/trading space flight sim ED is. It is not competition for STO unless you think every single game featuring spaceships and sci fi is competition. How about Darkspace? Star Sonata? Starport: Galactic Empires? Sins Of A Solar Empire? None are competition for STO.

You can maybe make an argument that SWTOR is competition because the games are similar, but that's the same case with ED and Star Citizen. Those two games are in competition, just that one still has a year before release.

Again, I have to say that what STO has to worry about are Cryptic's and/or PWE's dumb decisions. They have nothing to fear from ED but they have plenty to fear from their own decisions.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    1: They did not say it could not be done. Anything is possible with enough time and labor hours. It is just not probable.

2: Elite Dangerous uses a different engine than STO. Comparing the engine limitations of one game to the engine limitations to another is silly.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It looks good, but I've watched some of the video out there on it. It's a whole lot fewer star systems than you are saying (for now, at least). And I for one have no plans to become content for some whale(s). They're the ones who've already spent gobs on their ships and have been waiting for launch just to gobble you up.

Have fun...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited December 2014
This discussion has been closed.