test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Delta Rising is the BEST expansion EVER and players LOVE it

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,463 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    hatchetl4d wrote: »
    Wonder if they aware of this thread and if it will result in a big change :eek:

Aware? probably.

However they are also aware that those on the forum represent only a small portion of those who play the game.

They are also aware that the average forum poster will never receive an invite to Mensa.

In addition to that they are aware that crowd mentalities, like the one displayed by the anti cryptic crowd lowers the residing IQ significantly.

And thus the developers correctly opt NOT to take the rants on the forum serious and instead rely on the unbiased metrics.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    Aware? probably.

However they are also aware that those on the forum represent only a small portion of those who play the game.

They are also aware that the average forum poster will never receive an invite to Mensa.

In addition to that they are aware that crowd mentalities, like the one displayed by the anti cryptic crowd lowers the residing IQ significantly.

And thus the developers correctly opt NOT to take the rants on the forum serious and instead rely on the unbiased metrics.

You had me going along until the very end there...
    edited December 2014
    You had me going until the very end there...

Truth hurts sometimes doesn't it.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited December 2014
    Truth hurts sometimes doesn't it.

That's a curious reply to what I said.

Tom: So did you catch the football game on TV last night?
    Jerry: Yes, I prefer strawberry. I'll have some sprinkles too.

edit: My bad, apparently I left out a word again. I've been doing that of late...paying the word tax, every now and again I forget a word. It's fun...no longer am I just joking about going senile.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Anything said on here gets noticed but probably ignored. Or if it gets too "risky" it gets locked down or moved to a less active part of the forum to hide the discontent.

We are a minority of the playerbase here, so what we say really doesn't mater to be honest. The sad part of that is though that the majority of players who don't use the forums to discuss things probably will just leave if they don't think the game is worth it so you'll never know what they dislike.
    At least with those of us here we can come an moan but generally we are more loyal than the masses who are just going to up and leave without much thought if the game head a direction they don't like.
    Those are the players the devs need to really worry about, their only contact with the poorer aspects of the game are in the actual game itself.
    SulMatuul.png
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014

You do realise, at least I hope you do, that unbiased metrics are not a reliable measure of a product's long term success don't you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    what are you guys talking about?

Everything is awesome
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
    edited December 2014
    js26568 wrote: »
    You do realise, at least I hope you do, that unbiased metrics are not a reliable measure of a product's long term success don't you?

The number of players, the number of players in old/new content, the number of subscribers and so forth. As much as people hate to admit it, those metrics are in fact a measure for the long term success of a product.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Sustainability is not achieved by catering to the lowest common denominator. Sustainability is achieved by keeping the dedicated and vocal minority happy. First and foremost you must take care of your people.

This is a lesson lost on the short term quarterly gains trash style disposable businessmen of the modern era. They have no passion to build a meaningful legacy when they can pump and dump instead.
    edited December 2014
    azniadeet wrote: »
    Sustainability is not achieved by catering to the lowest common denominator. Sustainability is achieved by keeping the dedicated and vocal minority happy. First and foremost you must take care of your people.

This is a lesson lost on the short term quarterly gains trash style disposable businessmen of the modern era. They have no passion to build a meaningful legacy when they can pump and dump instead.

This applies.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The number of players, the number of players in old/new content, the number of subscribers and so forth. As much as people hate to admit it, those metrics are in fact a measure for the long term success of a product.

They're not. I'm very close with both programmers and statisticians. I am two classes away from my MBA.

Financial metrics lag behind qualitative data in predicting financial success.

That's part of why you can't consistently surpass market returns as an investor.

The most objective information disperses so quickly that you get little advantage out of it, leaving you with highly subjective information you'd have to interpret to beat market rate of return. And most people don't.

Metrics are hardly unbiased either. They're biased by the questions you ask to get them and they're biased as soon as you start interpreting them. Nothing a human works with is wholly objective.

The "truth" you're advocating is a dangerous one. It's seductive. It seems reliable. It works up to a point. It's also NOT wholly reliable and the kind of approach to strategy that tanks businesses and wipes people out. Because following the metrics is not a strategy and because worshiping them strips them of the real value they do have.
  • trekkietravistrekkietravis Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Delta Rising is not that bad. Yes, there is room for improvement, but this thread is pretty much a complete over-reaction and reads as a bunch of whiny children not getting their way.

There are a few constructive posts here and a bunch of self-inflated nerds with a sense of entitlement.

I am in no way saying Delta Rising is perfect, but anyone who is ******** obviously wasn't bere for the first 2 years of the game, because it's way better than anything we had back then.
    edited December 2014
    I am in no way saying Delta Rising is perfect, but anyone who is ******** obviously wasn't bere for the first 2 years of the game, because it's way better than anything we had back then.

Subjective is subjective.
  • lordmanzelotlordmanzelot Member Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The thread was so awesome and now the story-tellers are back ...
    Subscribed For: 2300+ Days
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014

They're only 3% of the player base so we can ignore them
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Delta Rising is not that bad. Yes, there is room for improvement, but this thread is pretty much a complete over-reaction and reads as a bunch of whiny children not getting their way.

There are a few constructive posts here and a bunch of self-inflated nerds with a sense of entitlement.

Er. I obviously WAS there for the first two years and I was substantially more positive about that.

The content is much better now, absolutely. I give props for that. And I think the initial F2P monetization approach (I'm iffy on how much of that rises to the level of true strategy but it was an approach) was better than the first two years, at least in the short run.

But I think the current design direction and approach are worse than either the initial F2P approach and worse than what the game launched with, content and art direction aside (which have improved).

And that ought to be obvious when you look at the level of feedback and communication. Or when the guy who had a hand in designing many of the systems says he doesn't understand how people are getting the DPS numbers they are when it is clearly outlined in the forums.

That alone should be a red flag on the quality of the metrics.

But, hey, everything is awesome. Business models are always awesome and short-term shareholder profit is why companies exist.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited December 2014

U mad bro?
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    People were having fun, this is STO remember, you can't have that, so naturally someone had to come in here and take a dumb on things using the same old tired cliche's.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Edited: I really like the new Quarter Pounders at McDonalds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I am NOT self-Inflated! ... It takes at least a good 15 minutes with a foot pump :P :D
    server_hamster6.png
    edited December 2014
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    murfy27 wrote: »
    Slow day at work...

Haha! Very good! :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Ignore them, there are all kinds, people who care enough about something that they will speak up for what they believe rather than see what they care about fail, sheep that will go along with anything even if it may end up costing them dearly and those who say nothing but just walk away.
    I don't want see STO mismanaged into failure, if some don't like that stance, tough.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • ransom2375ransom2375 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Aware? probably.
    Mission accomplished!

The 'minority' argument never gets old. Clever. There are countless examples over the years where Cryptic acted verifiably on player feedback in this very forum.

Did i get that right: crowd mentalities = less IQ ?

If i would exclusively read biased rants, that would be understandable. But the forum is also filled with thoughtful unbiased player feedback. Only Cryptic can and will decide IF, HOW and WHEN they act. Unless you have insider knowledge, you cant even state that they dont take something of this serious.

Although your post was really awesome, we still miss your 'real' contribution to this thread. ;)
    maxvitor wrote: »
    People were having fun, this is STO remember, you can't have that, so naturally someone had to come in here and take a dumb on things using the same old tired cliche's.
    Some of them are like those guys at your front door. You know they will come someday, and then they will give you info leaflets about truth and stuff. *shivers*
    maxvitor wrote: »
    I don't want see STO mismanaged into failure, if some don't like that stance, tough.
    /this!
    Star Trek Online: Foundry 02.12.2010 - 11.04.2019
    edited December 2014
    Too subtle? You decide.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Edited. The weather is pretty cold in Boston today btw.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Hmmm 8 new Episodes per "Expansion" something they didn't even dare to say during the first 2 years, instead of 15 FE in 6 months, and a bunch of Patrols to fill in the gaps ... certainly feels like the 2nd year of STO :P ... naah to be fair, it's more like the Beta ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Here I go again on my own.

Guys, guys. Don't engage with the doubters. We've had a mostly peaceful thread so far, let's not get it shut down.
  • purvee1purvee1 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hmmm 8 new Episodes per "Expansion" something they didn't even dare to say during the first 2 years, instead of 15 FE in 6 months, and a bunch of Patrols to fill in the gaps ... certainly feels like the 2nd year of STO :P ... naah to be fair, it's more like the Beta ...

Remember when the Patrols were pulled from the progression arc, for, what was it again... Something like "Not being up to the standards we can expect now" or something of that vein. At least with those patrols you'd warp in and sometimes find yourself with another 1-2 random players.
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    purvee1 wrote: »
    Remember when the Patrols were pulled from the progression arc, for, what was it again... Something like "Not being up to the standards we can expect now" or something of that vein. At least with those patrols you'd warp in and sometimes find yourself with another 1-2 random players.

Just ignore the guy. He may be trying to get this thread shutdown.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
This discussion has been closed.