we need the picard gun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OCKDEdtWys

that gun.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Thompson submachine gun or the Tommy Gun, a little primitive don't you think?
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »

and the shotgun we got from mirror isn't?
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited November 2014

low speed (relatively speaking) projectiles do well against energy based shields.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    eiledon wrote: »
    low speed (relatively speaking) projectiles do well against energy based shields.

well, the shotgun and the tr-116 bypasses the shields
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Ya until they decide to nerf it
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited November 2014

The Thompson Submachine Gun was first produced in 1917. The first sucessful production Pump Action Shotgun was the Winchseter Model 1897, first produced in... 1897.

I'm guessing if the age of the design had any bearing on if a gun ends up ingame, the Tommy Gun won't be a problem.

Maybe next Picard day...
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    OK let's put this back in context, this wasn't a real gun.
    Let's talk about what the physical properties of holodeck matter are, since this was a Holodeck gun firing holodeck projectiles that only did damage because the deck's safety protocols were turned off, not a real Tommy firing 45 caliber bullets. Wouldn't that classify this as an energy weapon?
    We could hope for them to provide an accurately behaving Tommy, but what if they go for some kind of holographic gizmo?
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Let's talk about what the physical properties of holodeck matter are, since this was a Holodeck gun firing holodeck projectiles that only did damage because the deck's safety protocols were turned off, not a real Tommy firing 45 caliber bullets. Wouldn't that classify this as an energy weapon?
    We could hope for them to provide an accurately behaving Tommy, but what if they go for some kind of holographic gizmo?

The holodecks use holographic and replicator tech. Was Picard's gun projected or replicated? I would guess anything users had to hold onto would have been physically replicated...
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    bergins wrote: »
    The holodecks use holographic and replicator tech. Was Picard's gun projected or replicated? I would guess anything users had to hold onto would have been physically replicated...
    How holodecks actually work has been pretty vague, how they get a larger functional space in a smaller holdeck chamber, has always been pretty Doctor Who ish, whether holodeck matter consists only of 3 dimensional light images and any sense of physical contact is provided by localized forcefields or whether the people are life like mannequins animated by forcefields, but generally the common theme is that holodeck matter can only exist in the holodeck, replication when used is for things like food or costumes for users, everything else is a "holographic" prop, so I would be inclined to think the gun wasn't replicated if it could be affected by the holodeck safety protocols.
    Picard went through all of that pretense just to get the gun, if it could simply be replicated he would have saved himself a lot of trouble by just requisitioning it from the start, and it would have been a useful weapon to retain. Although I do understand the whole speakeasy scenario did provide a distraction for the borg.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    we need the picard gun!

that gun.

...*blink*

NO.

Dixon Hill
    Has Nothing
    On THIS.

I'd call it "Spocko's Tommy Gun."
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    ...*blink*

NO.

Dixon Hill
    Has Nothing
    On THIS.

Bang, there we go now we can talk about a gun.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    donkeybong420donkeybong420 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ummm no, i would rather see this sword http://youtu.be/-ArVBL8EgKU?t=30s
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Maybe. It could also be that it's the Borg's usual adaptation problem. They enter Federation space the 2nd time now and they have already adapted to Phasers before, but smoehow they forgot and the first few shots still kill them.

So they may simply have not been expecting replicated bullets or holographic force fields shaped like bullets. If the Enterprise Crew had decided to make a last stand in the Holodeck with a bunch of Tommy Guns (or maybe something more modern, a bunch of G36, Steyr Augs or whatever), the first few drones would have dropped over and the rest would have assimilated the crew.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2014

especially with the drum attachment full of rounds. :P
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    That would of been good in the omega rep system, anti-Borg adaptation weapon.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    1. Yes, a Terran sword would be great
    2. Picard day would be a good way to pick up a model we can upgrade :D
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    No, because in order to do the kind of damage shown it had to exert kinetic force on a target. Doesn't matter if that force was produced by replicated matter or a force field, it's still just kinetic energy, because that's how physics works: any time physical force is exerted, it's kinetic energy.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I want my tommy gun, and while they are at it a P90 would be nice as well.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ...*blink*

NO.

Dixon Hill
    Has Nothing
    On THIS.

Yeah, the Tommy Gun has had several appearances in Star Trek and TOS was the first to do it. I'm all for the inclusion of a Thompson SMG as well as the addition of Fedora Hats to the Formal Suit already ingame. The suit already has pinstripes.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Bang, there we go now we can talk about a gun.

Wow, way to not have a sense of humor.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited November 2014

If it will spare me the annoyance of re-modulating after every shot I would buy one in a second!! This is why I took the time to grind out a Romulan flamethrower, but it could still be adapted to, somehow!

I'm in favor of it!
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,608 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    the tommy gun is one of the the most canon 20th century star trek weapons, appearing in every series except DS9. the one gun that does appear in every series is the army .45 pistol

john98837 wrote: »
    I want my tommy gun, and while they are at it a P90 would be nice as well.

Star Trek: SG-1
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Wow, way to not have a sense of humor.
    There was a joke in there? I suppose I should have said something like "Now we's can gab bout dem heaters".
    lunasto wrote: »
    If it will spare me the annoyance of re-modulating after every shot I would buy one in a second!! This is why I took the time to grind out a Romulan flamethrower, but it could still be adapted to, somehow!

I'm in favor of it!
    Unfortunately the gun is a kinetic weapon and the Borg can adapt to kinetic damage right? So far as I know the only damage Borg can't adapt to is physical or melee damage.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    nazelnagnazelnag Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    we need the picard gun!

that gun.

approved, the Tommy gun would be great for some sort of reward ... like a crystalline entity event ... because Mirror takes so long to do it, i can't get it on all alts :(
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    thompson submachine gun and the 1911 pistol FTW
    Spock.jpg