test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Club 47 Opening Soon! FREE Giveaway Extended to 11/28!

Comments

• Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Well, I'm sorry so many of you feel that this is wasted work.
    Trust me, as much as you may want a programming or systems design bug fixed, you do not want me to be the one to "fix" it. It is far better for everyone (including you) that I stick to making maps.
    I hope that once open, some of you can see past your distaste. amd will take advantage of the revised Club 47.

Well, thank you for making the new Club 47!

While I would be grateful for bug fixes myself, I am always confused by the people who blame the art team for stuff that isn't their fault.

Keep up the good work, and if it's anything close to the new ESD in terms of quality, I will be very happy!
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Trust me, as much as you may want a programming or systems design bug fixed, you do not want me to be the one to "fix" it. It is far better for everyone (including you) that I stick to making maps.
    I hope that once open, some of you can see past your distaste. amd will take advantage of the revised Club 47.

I can't speak for others, but I'm able to see that this isn't wasted time on your part Taco. What I think a lot of people find frustrating is this is the only thing being talked about, so some may feel it's the only thing being focused on. Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

That being said, is there anyway you could get some new Romulan bridges on the schedule? Even Klingons have multiple ones.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Looks absolutely fantastic.

Can't wait.
  • Options
    superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It looks great, and I can't wait to go there. I secretly hope swimsuits are allowed on this map. :)
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Taco, just ignore the whiners who don't like it. Environments like this basically create the look and feel of the game, and the look and feel of the game is one of the best things going for it.

There are probably a bunch of reasons why the old club wasn't used, and while I doubt the new club will ever have a *huge* number of people in it, that isn't the point. The point is that it's a place that needs to be there, it hasn't been there and that had to be fixed.

I think those of us with half a brain know that you're not fixing bugs or working on gameplay balance because that's not your job. This is your job and you're good at and that's all that matters.
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    nvm-what-gives-edit:

may u can convince someone to make a new pvp map since we're pewing on the same 4 maps almost since launch now? thx.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Apparently many people think of a software project a little like some handicrafts they do in their shed with some friends, where everybody may have special qualities and focus more on part of the work, but in the end everybody will be involved in everything. It doesn't work like that anymore on a larger scale. And though it has been addressed already a couple of times, maybe an example will help:

Imagine you're on a football team, a Wide Receiver. And your passing game is really good. On the other hand, your D-line draws criticism. Would it do any good for the WRs, who apparently are competent, to work as defensive linemen? Probably not.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    lethal61lethal61 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Looking forward to it now lets get some Romulan Ale and get giggy :D.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I apologize for you having to read the whining on here. This was certainly not the place for it, nor should someone who obviously cares about their work have to hear it. I appreciate the great work on Earth Spacedock and look forward to the new club.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I don't think the trouble is with the art team. With few exceptions I have felt the art was one of the things to go *right* with Delta Rising. (I wish I could have some of that Undine ship interior for my Dromias, so I can go beyond my bridge...)

I think there is a perception, whether accurate or not, that stuff like this, that doesn't impact gameplay, is being used rather cynically by the suits as a distraction. This does not reflect on the art team or the quality of the art. Rather I would say it is a reflection of how frustrated people are with the state of the game as a whole (including all of the areas you have no control over), that it has come to this.

I'm working on a review series that is soon to delve deep into what I hope will be a root cause analysis as to how the situation deteriorated so badly. I would say though, that most people probably agree that the fact that you take time to communicate openly and not just hit-and-run post but have a conversation, is a model others should follow.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    I don't think the trouble is with the art team. With few exceptions I have felt the art was one of the things to go *right* with Delta Rising. (I wish I could have some of that Undine ship interior for my Dromias, so I can go beyond my bridge...)

I think there is a perception, whether accurate or not, that stuff like this, that doesn't impact gameplay, is being used rather cynically by the suits as a distraction. This does not reflect on the art team or the quality of the art. Rather I would say it is a reflection of how frustrated people are with the state of the game as a whole (including all of the areas you have no control over), that it has come to this.

I'm working on a review series that is soon to delve deep into what I hope will be a root cause analysis as to how the situation deteriorated so badly. I would say though, that most people probably agree that the fact that you take time to communicate openly and not just hit-and-run post but have a conversation, is a model others should follow.

I agree with that really. People take out their frustration on the art team a fair bit when new shiny content is released because they see it as a diversionary tactic by the management. Though that shouldn't put you guys off because the art and design work in the game has stepped by by several levels in the last year or so and the game feels much nicer to be in than it used to, a lot of us appreciate that. The other issues with the general game play are out with your control and you shouldn't be taking the flak for that.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Thanks for your message. The Club looks interesting.

I do believe its a distraction not on your part but on Cryptic not working on a better fix on game mechanics and fixing bugs. Since the launch of the new Earth Space Dock I only visited it 10 times and stopped playing my Federation Admiral.

I play mostly Romulan and would love Romulan Fiolitta improved and bigger, and the ability for a Romulan Fleet base. The very thing players want in my opinion.

If Cryptic wanted maybe revise and use your technical and artistic know how. To create a rule based procedual content to Genesis.

Sadly I feel Cryptic is more focused on monetized, dilthium, specialization, time, and censor gate system putting some players on lockdown. While making bad decisions with prior knowledge putting ddvelopers in a bad position.
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Don't feel that the complaints on here are representative of the entire playerbase. The same haters will hate everywhere in the forums, just because they have a public podium to use.

I'm definitely impressed by the art efforts put into the club, and am looking forward to hanging out in there from time to time. A big part of any MMO is having new places to explore, and it's great to see that - even with all the fantastic art effort put into the Delta Quadrant - there are still some hidden gems waiting to be found back at 'home.'

Thanks!
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Not everyone is haters. I like most of the new art design as for game mechanics and bugs. That's another story.

I just wish Cryptic did a better job on the latter. Also spent some time working on Genesis not like they had more then several years to do it.

chipg7 wrote: »
    Don't feel that the complaints on here are representative of the entire playerbase. The same haters will hate everywhere in the forums, just because they have a public podium to use.

I'm definitely impressed by the art efforts put into the club, and am looking forward to hanging out in there from time to time. A big part of any MMO is having new places to explore, and it's great to see that - even with all the fantastic art effort put into the Delta Quadrant - there are still some hidden gems waiting to be found back at 'home.'

Thanks!
  • Options
    mouertemouerte Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    New Club 47 is looking great :)

Thx Taco gonna hove some Disco fun fun in it :P
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Ya know, this disgusts me. Taco put a lot of time and effort into this. Taco is a designer, an artist and a maker of worlds. Blaming him for programming glitches (especially ones that have been around longer than he's worked at Cryptic) is beyond the pale really.

Man and his team spent a lot of time on this, the least ya'll could do is say thank you.
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I really hope you guys put some functionality into the Club.

There needs to be EC and latinum slot machines that pay out good consumables.

Primarily, Club 47 should be about the PLAYERS. I would like several wide screen monitors in the club on the walls to display OUR artwork. Tie forum screenshot contests into the Club. Winners get screenshot in loading screen, and top 6 get their CREW put into the game as holographic dance floor dancers. So lets say my screenshot won top 6 standing, Cryptic says congratulations, your crew has won a month long appearance on the dance floor. Please list the 8 characters (all from one toon, players pick the captain and crew) you want on the dance floor. Have them ready by Month/day at 12:00 pm pacific time, and how they look at that time is how they will appear in game. So the players have time to change their look. (beachwear will be prohibited). Then the top 6 players have their crews appear at the top of the hour for 5 minutes dancing on the floor. This way each winner gets their crew displayed 4 times in 24 hours. 7th place through 10th get their screenshots on the widescreens on a screensaver type display that rotates the winning pictures every few minutes, so players can take their toons into the club and see the artwork on the club walls. This gives the game more of an alive feel, so it doesnt feel like you are the only one in the universe, other crews get their "heroics" displayed too for whatever the screensaver theme was. Space themes to get our ships displayed, and ground themes to get our away teams displayed.

The club dancers should rotate in look. Bottom of the hour specific npcs appear. Maybe let players design one toon in another contest to appear as random dancers that will be paired with other player submitted npcs. Have a good looking woman in a red dress appear late night hours, the Clubs Minuet, etc. All for us players to take screenshots dancing next to the VIP type npc dancers.

And when I say forum screenshot contests, not just judged by the cryptic staff contests. Id like trivia contests too. You announce the day and time ten HARD trivia questions will be posted, first correct 10 answers posted wins. So poster 1 gets question 1 correct, he wins a slot, but cant win for question 2-10. The first poster to answer question 2 wins a slot, etc. Community mods can count the votes. Questions dont have to be all Trek, they can be hard science test problems that take a little more than just googling the answer, you have to solve a word problem that is Trek or science themed.

Taco, can you comment on the possibility of my requests becoming reality, player npc holo dancers, and IN GAME screensaver artwork getting displayed on Club walls?
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I am thankful for the return of Club 47. From the screenshots in the blog, it looks quite nice and fits in with the Citidel theme of ESD nicely. I hope your next surprise for us all is a revamped Captain's Table, like you had mentioned once upon a time with access from all social hubs.

With maps being your specialty. Will we ever see some recreations of TV episode or movie related content? There were some great episodes from a few of the series where visiting locations like, The Hotel Royale, Captain Proton, DS9's iconic holosuite program that Nog lived in for a while, Dixon Hill, Sherlock Holmes, and many of the other Holodeck programs featured through out Star Trek?
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited November 2014

Not wasted, I like the look of it and all, and will be a nice add to ESD but... imo, ESD had its facelift, time for some KDF content to get a new look, time to finally build upon that colony on DewaIII we've been dumping work into for a year... More fed side art, while pretty and fun, is not the right direction atm. My two bits anyway
  • Options
    notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited November 2014

Dj Zuza seems to be happy lol
  • Options
    cwnannwncwnannwn Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You know if all the people complaining would actually stop and think about it for a second they might realize that Taco and his fellow work-mates only deal with art not the actually functionality of the game. Yes there are bugs that need to be worked out and I'm sure (hopeful) that there is someone working on them.

So instead of blaming everything that is wrong or not working on just one group is pretty petty to me. I'm not defending PWE or Cryptic. just stating an opinion. One other thing, if all the complainers are so skilled at what it takes to fix the game then why are they on here whining about it and not applying for jobs at PWE/Cryptic to get in there and fix the problems.

Taco, you keep doing what you do and don't let the entitlement crowd disuade you from what you do. From what I saw in the blgo Club 47 looks great and I for one look forward to seeing it.

If those that don't like it don't want to go to it that is their choice, maybe they should look elsewhere for their entertainment. I'm sure there are other things they could find to do then belittle someone for his hardwork.
  • Options
    huntingdon1701huntingdon1701 Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    cwnannwn wrote: »

Taco, you keep doing what you do and don't let the entitlement crowd disuade you from what you do. From what I saw in the blog Club 47 looks great and I for one look forward to seeing it.

I'd echo this - you are a great designer and the game needs that.

Yes, I hope your colleagues are working on the bugs, and they could really prioritise a bit better, but we may as well have something nice to look at while the rest of it isn't working.

Can't wait for the grand opening!
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm very much looking forward to visiting the new Club 47 on a more regular basis, especially considering the exceptional work done by Taco and the art team. The lounge area with the big outward-facing window looks fabulous.

It infuriates me greatly whenever there's an art or environment update, the usual suspects come crawling in screaming "but what about the bugs!?".

As many other folks have stated, Cryptic may be a relatively small game development company, but unlike fan projects run in the back of someone's garage, each developer specializes and is designated a specific task (sound, environment, character, UI, gameplay, storyline/narrative, gear/asset, QA etc), and one can't simply, say, tell the environment artist to go fix gameplay bugs, because that is not what s/he was hired or trained to do.

Also, as previously mentioned, the devs are hired to work continuously throughout the week, and not a seasonal or on-call basis (I mean, what do you expect the environment and UI devs to do while the gameplay devs squash the bugs you folks complain about? Twiddle their thumbs?)

I haven't always been happy with Cryptic/PWE/CBS's decisions on how certain elements of the game have been implemented, but blaming the developers for issues outside of their area of expertise or control is outright inconsiderate.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well, I'm definitely happy to see the new Club 47 is on the way! Been looking forward to it here. Thanks for all your hard work Tacofangs and crew!

Don't worry about the lot with their gripes that they wanted coding fixes rather than new locations, even though it's a totally different set of people who'd work on one than the other. Unfortunately, there are lots of these kind of folks out there these days. I'm currently working in the electronics dept. at a department store, and there will always be people who look at me like I'm dumb because I don't know if we have some product in stock over in the infants dept. or somesuch. Lots of people simply don't care to think anymore, it seems.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    New dance emotes. You have my attention.

Also... new costume pieces?

P.S.: still want the default male dance to be usable. See video.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    shadokittyshadokitty Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I echo the other sentiments about the whiners Taco, I for one can't wait till the new club opens, and also I think your Art team and you are doing a terrific job.
  • Options
    ransom2375ransom2375 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Star Trek Online: Foundry 02.12.2010 - 11.04.2019
  • Options
    kylelockekylelocke Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The new look reminds me of some RSL Clubs that I've visited and I am really looking forward to seeing this applied to the game, the current screenshots are amazing and it is good to hear that there will be some new track added. Also I like how it will be split into different areas.
    "I will make the Orion Syndicate face the light of justice or burn them with it." - Captainl Kyle Nathaniel Locke, U.S.S. Excalibur NCC-98105-C
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Not entirely sure how some peeps can think this is wasted time. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to the new Club 47! :D
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I for one love all the maps you guys have made over the past year or so. They're so much more detailed than the ones from the early missions, and I'm looking forward to seeing Club 47 reopen.

There may be whiners, but know that there are many more of us who love and appreciate all the hard work you and your team puts into making these maps for us. In fact, I think of all the things that people complain about in these forums, I don't think the quality of the maps has ever been one of them. Except maybe people wanting to explore even more of the maps which is a backwards compliment in itself.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'