test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Everyone is overreacting leveling in DR is fine right now

Comments

• ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    I have a sandwich, so you can't be starving.

The caterer gave everyone a sandwich and a coke too and no one is starving maybe they gave the sandwich to their pet targs or something :eek:
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well......why else would you play?

Besides, as has been pointed out elsewhere, we aren't even getting stronger anymore, just trying to get back to where we were two weeks ago (or at least close to it). If you play just one or two missions a night, maybe 4k xp per on average, thats what a hundred runs per alt? And you're going to be repeating how many missions to do so? Thats excessive and up there with the crafting grind.

Lets bring it back up to say a level per real mission or set of patrols (with a cooldown timer), about a level where a casual does a say 3 levels per evening (or one level for each of the three free toons) and a grinder running a 10-hour marathon can go from 50 to 60 in a day. As-is right now though, its just so slow and so repetitive as to be not worth bothering.

And just wait till the next set of Specializations come out and we're expected to do so all over again.

Cause guess what, it's easier to do time gates then put out content. People seem to think lately that PWE can snap it's fingers and create content at will. Sorry that's the industry's biggest issue, how to keep ahead in content.

Because it's always the issue of, players will chew through content faster than it can be played.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You didn't have to do any grinding if you played the DR story content on Elite.

False.

My husband plays on Elite only, and has a fully kitted out ship that he was upgrading before DR even launched. He still is not 60, despite playing for hours a day. One mission took him abut an hour, maybe a little less. He got, with the reward at the end, barely a full bar. I want to say he was 56 or so. 3 days later, grinding out PvE content, he finally leveled.

I play on Elite, sometimes, and I notice it only takes me longer to kill things, not that the exp is massively greater, because it isn't.

Of course leveling should take time, and that isn't the issue. The issue, is that it is tedious, slow, and boring as hell; it should not take a half-day of grinding to get a single level in-between missions. When a mission gives you enough exp to cover 1, maybe 2 bars, leaving you 80% till the next level and next quest... TRIBBLE that. Forced to, then, spend 8 hours or more, grinding the rest of that level is tedious and very un-fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Seriously? That fallacy doesn't quite fit here...
  • rushnorrushnor Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    a few weeks from now the same ppl complaining about the leveling will be the ones complaining how there is nothing to do and that there was "so little new content" once even the slowest players hit 60 and do all the story missions :rolleyes:

Don't you hate Internet? ;)
  • wilvwilv Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    marc8219 wrote: »
    With all the game is dying doom and gloom threads people might think STO is unplayable right now, but that is far from the truth, I am having no problems leveling.

I just leveled a character after this patch with no problems at all, I don't see a problem with the pace of leveling, it is ok now. I don't expect to max specialization today or in the next few days and neither should anyone else, it will take a week or more probably.

Yeah I didn't lose any xp or specialization with the nerf, but I didn't power grind to max everything immediately after DR launched either. Just casually leveled to 60 recently and the game is working fine for me. The new leveling pace is just fine, DR has a few other issues but nothing as major as what people make it seem to be, give it another try before giving up.

Just because in your opinion EVERYONE is overreacting and the leveling is fine it doesn't mean it's true. If the majority of the forum posters are raging about this in droves then clearly it's a problem. A few people might be ok with the leveling experience and that's cool but if the majority of players are unhappy then there is a problem.

In my opinion the leveling experience isn't fine. I think they don't have enough content for how long it takes to get from one level to the next. I also think that the FEs should award more XP considering how long it takes to complete some of them. Getting from 59 to 60 was especially painful. The only mission we have at that level is extremely long and at the end of it all you barely make a dent in the level bar.
  • hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Not as profound as it sounds #forumlogic. Saying "I can do it, so can you." is 100% legit. I swear this forum, especially general discussion, takes the fun out of the game and the fun out of the internets.
    BTW cryptic sent me a free T5-U upgrade token, 3 free lock box keys, and a large XP boost in a email the other day. That was nice of them. =)
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    Seriously? That fallacy doesn't quite fit here...

"Everyone is overreacting leveling in DR is fine right now"

The OP thinks that leveling is fine. Good for him.

The OP says that those who don't think it is fine are overreacting.

Because he thinks leveling is fine, it can't possibly be not fine for others.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • bellylintbellylint Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I always get a kick out of people like OP who thinks they can speak for everyone.

If it's fine for you dude don't you think it's NOT fine for others considering the sheer amount of complaints you see on the forum?

Ah! No, that's right, all of those people complaining are ALL wrong and you are the beholder of mighty truth because.. after all.. it's alllll fine like you say.

Next time, before posting complete trash like that, why don't you simple state your own opinion and leaves lots of room for people who will tell you the opposite? See I can accept it's fine for you, people will have different reaction to DR this will depend on their gear and game experience, but many people like me will NEVER repeat DR on ANY alt because IT'S NOT FINE. Far from fine, DR is a complete U-Turn compare to all other expansions, this is trash for me and many other people out there and it's is FAR from being fine.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You didn't have to do any grinding if you played the DR story content on Elite.

That was due to a bug (exploit?) where Elite was awarding too much XP according to the devs.

Elite is not intended to get you through without gaps.
  • oneofexploitoneofexploit Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Wonder if the people who think leveling is fine realize that there's still another 50 levels to go after 60. It's just not displayed ^^
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,882 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    chalpen wrote: »
    I don't think the word "horror" is what you think it means.

Or the OP must be working for Cryptic to ensure the rage is quenched! :D
    DUwNP.gif

• rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014

THIS.

Houseofmartok you've got it wrong. The OP isn't saying "if I can do it, you can" -- he is saying "I like it, so you can't hate it" or more like "I don't see a problem, so there isn't one."

You've pulled a straw-man by rewording it in such a way as to knock it over easier, but you haven't actually changed the OP's content, or tone. He's pulling a holier-than-thou "Quit QQing, because I happen to like it!" type of rant, which a few others have been pulling over these forums today as well.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    chalpen wrote: »
    You should have been a kdf when the game was released.

Heheh, they won't understand :D

KDF Content at STO release:

PVP

Run Empire Defense Missions to Infinity

There's a reason why, for such a long time, that the average KDF player was pretty decent in PVP :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Would the phrase, "I have a sandwich, so you can't be starving" be applicable here?

[Forgive me if it has already been mentioned, I didn't read all of the replies.]
    2iBFtmg.png
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    marc8219 wrote: »
    With all the game is dying doom and gloom threads people might think STO is unplayable right now, but that is far from the truth, I am having no problems leveling.

I just leveled a character after this patch with no problems at all, I don't see a problem with the pace of leveling, it is ok now. I don't expect to max specialization today or in the next few days and neither should anyone else, it will take a week or more probably.

Yeah I didn't lose any xp or specialization with the nerf, but I didn't power grind to max everything immediately after DR launched either. Just casually leveled to 60 recently and the game is working fine for me. The new leveling pace is just fine, DR has a few other issues but nothing as major as what people make it seem to be, give it another try before giving up.

The only problem I'm having with the leveling is that when I hit a gap I'm just not sure what to do with myself. In the past I would have set off for the exploration clusters, but they're gone now; that or played a lot of PvP (unfortunately, PvP just frustrates me these days).

I suppose I'm supposed to be doing queued events or something; but I don't like to grind away at those things. I only do one or two a day, if that.
    edited October 2014
    For those who do not know what strawman or hyperbole is, here. I'll google for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    THIS.

Houseofmartok you've got it wrong. The OP isn't saying "if I can do it, you can" -- he is saying "I like it, so you can't hate it" or more like "I don't see a problem, so there isn't one."

You've pulled a straw-man by rewording it in such a way as to knock it over easier, but you haven't actually changed the OP's content, or tone. He's pulling a holier-than-thou "Quit QQing, because I happen to like it!" type of rant, which a few others have been pulling over these forums today as well.

What about "I hate it so you can't love it?" That seems to be the forum pack message.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Wonder if the people who think leveling is fine realize that there's still another 50 levels to go after 60. It's just not displayed ^^

yep, looking forward to it
  • ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited October 2014

well I do but i dont try to play an entire game in a week like most people seem to. The specializations are an issue of people who want to be all powerful right away they can't wait so they treat the game like a job instead of just getting to 60 and playing the game as they have for well however long they have been playing and just not worrying about it they must have it all within one or two weeks maxed because they want to beat some self impossed time limit.

This is fine if this is how they want to play but it doesnt necessarily mean that there is something wrong with the game perhaps they are biting off more then they can chew and should take a deep breath and relax and you know start having some fun.

Its not a race unless you want to treat it like one seriously though i think i have been basically getting one level a day more or less i have been working on 4 guys at once so its hard to tell i have to stop and look. So that would be like 1 point per day or one point every other day if you just go at a relaxing pace. I am not in a rush though and I just have fun its not a job for me its for fun :)
    edited October 2014
    What about "I hate it so you can't love it?" That seems to be the forum pack message.

Yes, there are those threads, and they are just as much a waste of space as this one. But there are many more threads that give reasons why the thread creators dislike stuff, and don't try to force it upon everyone.
    edited October 2014
    Try starting a new toon now and level it. I bet STO will be dead before your new toon hits the max specialization. (aka level 110)
  • inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yes, there are those threads, and they are just as much a waste of space as this one. But there are many more threads that give reasons why the thread creators dislike stuff, and don't try to force it upon everyone.

^^^^^^^^^^
    I think the OP got his games mixed up. There's no way he played just DR and leveled by now.

You'd think he would have lost some levels by now.......if you know what I mean *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*
    2iBFtmg.png
  • wilvwilv Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    quintaris wrote: »
    I'm always entertained that the same people who are complaining about having to rerun a patrol over and over are the same people that run ISE over and over.

I would reevaluate your broad statement. I'm complaining about having to do the same patrols over and over and I don't STF. Why? Because it's BORING! I don't get any enjoyment out of doing the same STF over and over.
    edited October 2014

Not at all. Most of what I'm reading is: These are the many detailed and documented reasons I hate it. Meanwhile those that retort "Well I love it" haven't got much to detail or document as far as why. Plus, I think you're superimposing your own agenda to the arguments. Almost all of the "I hate it" arguments have nothing that says "so you can't like it." Instead it is "Okay, so you like it. That doesn't change this long and well-reasoned set of arguments that say I've been wronged in <fill in the blank> way" -- in short... So what? Okay, you like it. The rest of the playerbase does not.

So, there's a different set of complaints going on for each side of this "like it"/"hate it" issue. Those on the "like it" side IMO aren't contradicting the "hate it" side, and further don't really stand on their own two feet anyway.

But that's an issue for another thread.
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    THANK YOU SO MUCH OP

This game is great nothing wrong with leveling except the FAST FOOD mind set.

Got to have it now !!!

Got to have it right now!!!

Well the entire cosmos does not revolve around free and fast, working for something makes you appreciate it more.

This being a game lets play, have fun, run the BUG Hunt, and go on a STF.

Just start having fun and stop playing forum PVP with Cryptic.

Think about going out and getting yourself a date some of you are so whiny you sound like you need some love.
    download.jpg
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Not at all. Most of what I'm reading is: These are the many detailed and documented reasons I hate it. Meanwhile those that retort "Well I love it" haven't got much to detail or document as far as why. Plus, I think you're superimposing your own agenda to the arguments. Almost all of the "I hate it" arguments have nothing that says "so you can't like it." Instead it is "Okay, so you like it. That doesn't change this long and well-reasoned set of arguments that say I've been wronged in <fill in the blank> way" -- in short... So what? Okay, you like it. The rest of the playerbase does not.

So, there's a different set of complaints going on for each side of this "like it"/"hate it" issue. Those on the "like it" side IMO aren't contradicting the "hate it" side, and further don't really stand on their own two feet anyway.

But that's an issue for another thread.

must have missed all those "well reasoned arguments", where were they again?

this whole issue is entirely subjective no matter which side your on, this whole thread boils down to "we aren't leveling fast enough" "yes we are" "no we are not"

as is typical on this forum neither side is even bothering to listen to the others opinions anymore, they're just trying to yell and insult louder
    edited October 2014
    THANK YOU SO MUCH OP

Got to have it now !!!

Well the entire cosmos does not revolve around free and fast, working for something makes you appreciate it more.

Think about going out and getting yourself a date some of you are so whiny you sound like you need some love.

And here folks is a lovely example of the logical fallacy I explained earlier.

Notice that right out of the box, everyone who has an inkling of dislike for DR is grouped up into a mish mosh stereotype. Next he dismisses the stereotype everyone's been grouped into by telling us what is fun, pointing to specific examples of what he has defined as fun. He finally ends with a personal insult and a return to the earlier stereotype. At least he's consistent.

My friends, this is how you fail to make a logical argument.
    edited October 2014
    bob, as your opinion that can be very subjective. I'm not seeing the same biased view you are.

However, that does NOT mean both sides of an argument are purely subjective and neither is correct. That's a cop-out to simply ignore the other side which you disagree with.
    edited October 2014
    THANK YOU SO MUCH OP

Got to have it now !!!

Sometimes it's things like this that I wish for a TCP/IP protocol to let me reach in the internet and smack someone upside the head.

The loads of bugs that cryptic ignored when it was on tribble and reported is bad enough, but the 70% XP nerf GAME WIDE and the insulting tone of the EP is bad for business.

Throw in the massive game wide reward nerf, we're grinding HP sponges longer for little reward. The PvE queues are extremely empty, more empty than when LoR was released. I have never seen the queues so empty.

Go to different zones and initiate conversation about DR problems and the zone will be hot for a long time.

If everything is fine, I want what ever doctor medicated you with, or a visit to your world. You have unicorns in it?