Options

Would you recommend STO to a friend?

Comments

• Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    fuglass wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am asking for others thoughts and feelings on this question, obviously I have my own opinion but I'm hoping to expand my point of view.
    If you choose to reply a simple yes or no is fine, but it'd be great if you would explain you position. Having said that this in not a Pro/Con Cryptic thread so there is no need to attack or 'correct' anyone's opinion since that's what I'm asking for anyway.

So on to the question:

Thanks in advance!
    -Glass

Yes, and I have.

I am sure there are lists of cons but what I tell people is this:

Star Trek Online is the only Star Trek mmo on the market. Having played multiple Star Trek games in the past I also consider it one of if not the best. Though if people have heard my comments on those games that is not a high bar.
    Pro's: YOU are the captain. You lead the missions. Sure other games make you a supposed commander. But you lead one to two man teams and they are little more than a flavor of pet. In STO you command four not counting yourself. You control their actions, equipment, and makeup.

Speaking of control. You can take hours just coming up with a look for yourself.
    And those officers I mentioned.
    Unlike other MMO's your ship is as much part of your team as the people. YOU choose the ship you will fly. Her paint job, what weapons she carries. And You actually fly her in combat. It is not just a pretty hangar queen to get you from map to map. Or a rail shooter.

The biggest weakness of the game is replay-ability. You really will have the same mission for each new character you make. But with new ships, crews and even a new captain design you can enjoy how you approach the issues.

The game is F2P so give it a download and take it for a spin around the quadrant. See you inside.

(Wow I sound like a commercial.)

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    knockyknocky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    :D

I would recommend STO to an enemy....especially the Klink faction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hotsnfluffhotsnfluff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hello,
    I am asking for others thoughts and feelings on this question, obviously I have my own opinion but I'm hoping to expand my point of view.
    If you choose to reply a simple yes or no is fine, but it'd be great if you would explain you position. Having said that this in not a Pro/Con Cryptic thread so there is no need to attack or 'correct' anyone's opinion since that's what I'm asking for anyway.

So on to the question:

Thanks in advance!
    -Glass

If you are for real and not posting flame bait, then no i wouldn't, i wasn't hit by the latest lot of nurfs, however how they have handled the EXP curves/nurfs and the C-Store shafting is outrageous.

They took skill points from a fleet mate that hadn't left the delta sector since the expansion, he used to spend 100 dollars a month. he gave us all his cash and gear, set up some high Dill projects in the star base/embassy stuck in about a million dill then he quit guild and uninstalled.

what a waste, but im sure we will see more people go before Christmas.

TLDR: Stay away from any game from PWE and cryptic until they grow a pair and stop sending the CM to take the bullets.
    百闻不如一见 PWE motto
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    depends on the friend.
    If said friend is looking for a casual free to play space themed (or specifically trek themed) MMO, I would have to say yes. The game has a lot of fun areas and things to do, and can easily keep a new player busy for a year or two.

If they do not like the game, its a bit of time lost, but no money or anything else. Nothing to lose giving it a try, and they may enjoy it.

If the person is a hardcore endgame mmo raider or a pvp junkie, I might not recommend it.
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    One title sticks out: Chris Roberts Star Citizen

Get relief from the PWE & Cryptic Bulls3!t, enlist today, a Better game bar none :cool::cool:

But to answer the OP question, a resounding "Hell No," the game has gone downhill in regards to quality management, customer service, player respect, with their only aim is your wallet. I will spare my friends from the frustration this game shows after playing it for about an hour.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    fuglassfuglass Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hotsnfluff wrote: »
    If you are for real and not posting flame bait, then no i wouldn't, i wasn't hit by the latest lot of nurfs, however how they have handled the EXP curves/nurfs and the C-Store shafting is outrageous.

They took skill points from a fleet mate that hadn't left the delta sector since the expansion, he used to spend 100 dollars a month. he gave us all his cash and gear, set up some high Dill projects in the star base/embassy stuck in about a million dill then he quit guild and uninstalled.

what a waste, but im sure we will see more people go before Christmas.

TLDR: Stay away from any game from PWE and cryptic until they grow a pair and stop sending the CM to take the bullets.

Yes my question was a genuine question, that's why I said in my post that this was not a Pro/Con Cryptic thread, and why I emphasized the fact that I was hoping to hear others opinions. (Hoping people would not attack each other for posting differing opinions and this thread has been incredibly civil.)
    I honestly thought I'd be lucky if 2-3 people responded.
    I also didn't expect (a rough estimate (I have read every single post)) of 90% (+/- 2%) of the people to say they would not recommend STO to a friend.

-Glass
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    it's a game. something to do for a 50-60 hours. based on the idea that someone can spend 30 bucks and have a fun shp to use for a month or two i have no issues telling people to give it a try. it's not any different then what i get out of most of my xbox games.

people don't need to treat sto like it's something you're gonna do every day for the rest of your life. it's not a marriage. treat it like any other game you own. play it until you're bored.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hello,

So on to the question:

Thanks in advance!
    -Glass

I actually took some time to think about this because I wasn't sure when I first read your question.

For quite a while now, I have been a pretty big fan of STO, I have recommended it to several people during my time here and have generally had a positive attitude toward the game and the way it's run.

Prior to Delta Rising, I would have answered a resounding Yes without even having to think about it.

Post DR.. sadly, I would have to say I would no longer recommend this game. I don't like the direction the game is heading with making content take considerably longer with giving far less rewards. The game is moving toward long drawn out content that takes forever to complete and then feels very unrewarding for the time you spent.

I still consider STO to be the overall best MMO I have played. Prior to DR, there was actually very little I didn't like about the game, but with the new direction the game is taking I honestly don't see it being around much longer. Today I sadly cancelled my Gold membership and will likely be heading off to other games now that the game is taking this new trajectory. I would not feel right recommending a game to someone that I myself felt the need to regretfully abandon.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My answer: Sure, why not?

If it turns out they don't like it, it's F2P so they're not out anything but the time they put into it.

If they enjoy it while leveling and progressing, but later get sick of the grind once they're max level, they still had fun in the process.

So again, I don't see a lot of downside.

As for me, I've been playing since open beta. Over time when it gets boring or feels overly repetitive I just stop playing for a while. Then I come back 6 months or so later and enjoy the new content. Rinse, repeat. I have not even tried DR yet. (been busy at work)
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    raptorzsraptorzs Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    All things considered. I do like most of the new content in the delta quadrant. It is quite entertaining however considering everything else.

I would not recommend this game to a friend or anyone. The Bugs are frustrating, the game is designed to frustrate the player into spending real money on the game. One way or another you will pay for this game. With either time or money.

I play because of the amount of time and resources I have committed to the game and I still have fun with it here and there. Mostly I'm holding out for the off chance that things could improve.

KNF Raptorzs
    <<Insert Clever Signature Here>>
  • Options
    potencethe1stpotencethe1st Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Never again. Simply because of the company that runs it.

Not after the condescending way the EP posted an insincere f u at the end of a Friday as if it were an afterthought, brazenly labeling people exploiter for playing the game.

The smugness of this *******.

No, **** no. Never again.

I hope cryptic loses the liscence so a real company with actual customer service trained people can do something with the Star Trek IP.
  • Options
    scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I used to, i DID

but now sicne ppl I brought into the game asked me why i did so...

well I'm not anymore
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ratonhaggedonratonhaggedon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    not a chAnce.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,994 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Not after Tau Dewagate, can't trust cryptic to keep their game together
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      mindmagemindmage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited October 2014
      No.

Reasons:

1. Dev team is incompetent at their jobs

2. Blame players for above reason.

3 Cater to Fed players by giving them stuff they shouldn't have. (Carriers, faction specific consoles, cloaking device)

4. Destroy uniqueness of other playable factions, Klingons and Romulans, by saying not enough people play them and the above reason.

5. Dilithium is required for almost everything in the game.
      Playing since launch in 2010.
    • Options
      johndroidjohndroid Member Posts: 178 Arc User
      edited October 2014
      Hello,

So on to the question:

Thanks in advance!
      -Glass

Captain Trek are shields are holding !! Its an enemy we cannot Defeat !! Incoming weapon ... Hold On !! Shields down !! Ensign plot a course 12.7 by 356 evasive Maneuver Zeta !! Warp factor 11 and Skippy push those engines till were ready to blow !! Cryptic's in pursuit gaining on us Captain theres nothing we can do to outrun Cryptic ...
      You will Be Cryptinized , Resistance is Futile !!
      Computer , Activate self-destruct for 10 seconds on my mark ... Now
      10 , 9 , 8 , 7 , you'll be back , 5 , 4 , I will never return and never be beaten by you again 2, 1 .... (((((NO)))))
    • Options
      atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited October 2014
      mindmage2 wrote: »
      No.

Reasons:

3 Cater to Fed players by giving them stuff they shouldn't have. (Carriers, faction specific consoles, cloaking device)

4. Destroy uniqueness of other playable factions, Klingons and Romulans, by saying not enough people play them and the above reason.

DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!

Yeah, we have a winner! Congrats! Aye you been spying on me and my thoughts?! You hit that [Bleeep] head on. 100000% Correct... That post made my night! Someone has been paying attention.

Give this person a cookie. Hell, I'll bake you some cookies! :D
      The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
      edited October 2014
      mindmage2 wrote: »
      No.

Reasons:

I don't think the problem is in the competence (or lack thereof) of the dev team. The real problem is in who the dev team is taking orders from; they are the ones trying to milk every penny out of the game.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
    • Options
      edited October 2014
      dalolorn wrote: »
      I don't think the problem is in the competence (or lack thereof) of the dev team. The real problem is in who the dev team is taking orders from; they are the ones trying to milk every penny out of the game.

No BIG mystery about that one, China's Pride and Joy called PWE.

PWE kills Development - Welcome to Digital Communism

The only hope for STO is for it to become independent from PWE, the game is pressed like grapes to make wine for their owners, it is all about metrics and not the players.
      StarTrekIronMan.jpg
    • Options
      angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      edited October 2014
      Short answer: No.

Long answer: *sigh* - let's just forget all the things that are "going on" right now, even forget DR or LoR and just look at the basics. This is "Star Trek Online". Not "a" Star Trek Online game but the "Star Trek Online". As such, people I would even remotely recommend this game to are Star Trek fans like myself. A lot of those, myself included, consider the best Star Trek games there are, to date, to be the adventure games (25th Anniversary PC, Judgement Rites, A final Unity) or simulation and strategy games (the "Academies", Bridge Commander, Botf, Armada). What are the qualities of Star Trek? Adventure, drama, strange new worlds, exploration, iconic technology and starships. The adventure games cover the former while the simulation and strategy games cover the latter aspects. While STO has most of these in theory and in a very broad sense it severly lacks these qualities when you take a closer look.

We have a storyline feauturing a fair bit of adventures, in order to be dramatically appealing however the technology and the writing unfortunately lack at least in my opinion. The characters are not recognizable enough and the presentation is clunky - even if some characters are written im redeemable ways, the moment you see them on screen playing those comically emotes they lose everything they could have had. You visit some strange new worlds, though in the end you do the same in every world you see - kill 5 bad guys in space, kill 5 bad guys on ground. This is the way the game works and two or three sotry missions that break that basic scheme do not make up for it. It is in fact this kind of gameplay that I doubt will keep players that are in for their Star Trek adventure very long. Exploration... well, they ripped that out of the game. Smart move. Enough said. Iconic ships and technology, those are there though frankly the majority of ships and equipment in this game is as far from the original Star Trek visuals as you can get and the iconic ships take the back seat eventually for original designs - which wouldn't even be so bad if the game had a theme, but instead it's everything, all eras, all over the place and the way ships and technology are portrayed doesn't make a whole lot of sense or follows some kind of rules. In a strategy game a la Armada not all ships are equal, but they all have a purpose. Even though I have Negh'Vars at end-game there is still a reason to build Vor'Chas and B'rels for example, STO doesn't really know a difference in ships except little layout modifications but the ships essentially know no difference in usage.

Add to that all the recent issues, company policy, customer service, the business model, gambling and resource grind just for the sake of more grind at endgame I unfortunately cannot recommend this game to anyone, be it Star Trek fans or just MMO fans.
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    • Options
      edited October 2014
      Simply put:

It is now a PERFECT WORLD ENTERTAINMENT Game - Nuff said

A company that kills game development.
      StarTrekIronMan.jpg
    • Options
      dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
      edited October 2014
      stark2k wrote: »
      No BIG mystery about that one, China's Pride and Joy called PWE.

PWE kills Development - Welcome to Digital Communism

The only hope for STO is for it to become independent from PWE, the game is pressed like grapes to make wine for their owners, it is all about metrics and not the players.

Unfortunately, based on what I can tell, the whole industry's going that way. It's not about quality anymore - while quality can result from these policies, the fact is that the focus is on a company's income, not the means used to achieve it.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
    • Options
      tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
      edited October 2014
      If you asked this half a year or a year ago, my answer would have been different....but NO.
      I can not recommend the game in its current state.
      Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    • Options
      edited October 2014
      dalolorn wrote: »
      Unfortunately, based on what I can tell, the whole industry's going that way. It's not about quality anymore - while quality can result from these policies, the fact is that the focus is on a company's income, not the means used to achieve it.

The answer to this are smaller developing companies or Independent companies now, where they can focus on both the quality of their product and gain that much needed niche fan base. The era of solid MMO's with a paid subscription is almost over, and these huge corporations like PWE are destroying ingenuity, development, and player support.

Very very few games nowadays care about their product and fanbase, and are doing what PWE is doing, r@ping the hell out of game and moving on, they are akin to the BORG, assimilating everything in their wake, destroying a game's identity.
      StarTrekIronMan.jpg
    • Options
      fuglassfuglass Member Posts: 95 Arc User
      edited October 2014
      johndroid wrote: »
      Captain Trek are shields are holding !! Its an enemy we cannot Defeat !! Incoming weapon ... Hold On !! Shields down !! Ensign plot a course 12.7 by 356 evasive Maneuver Zeta !! Warp factor 11 and Skippy push those engines till were ready to blow !! Cryptic's in pursuit gaining on us Captain theres nothing we can do to outrun Cryptic ...
      You will Be Cryptinized , Resistance is Futile !!
      Computer , Activate self-destruct for 10 seconds on my mark ... Now
      10 , 9 , 8 , 7 , you'll be back , 5 , 4 , I will never return and never be beaten by you again 2, 1 .... (((((NO)))))

hahahahaha
    • Options
      assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
      edited October 2014
      I used to. But I stopped with the crafting and doffing revamp, and everything they have done since then only proves me right.
      FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
      Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
    • Options
      ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
      edited October 2014
      I've thought long and hard about this, but to be honest, the answer has to be no.

It's an MMO - so there'll be grinding, but they've gone to far again with what is required. As many others have pointed out, to get anywhere in the game takes far too long. Longer if you want to ever consider yourself as competitive in pvp.

A lot of people have said what I wanted to say already. This is not a game for new players and even regulars are thinking twice.

This hasn't been well thought about and there's too many issues introduced for this to be considered a player friendly game anymore.

I bought the OP with dil converted to zen, just really glad I didn't spend money and my gold sub is also now cancelled. I'd only recently renewed that to try and show support as well.
      If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
    • Options
      sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
      edited October 2014
      What is it that keeps you playing then?

Star Trek.

it's really sad to see a wonderful universe so badly used in this game:

I asked myself if Picard would be happy with the grindfest :P

my weapons are not epic, but DR is an epic fail

i hope that these guys will finish their game : link