test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would you recommend STO to a friend?

Comments

• glorthoxglorthox Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I would have before Delta Rising. Making everything hard where STF's are nothing but a ghost town and endless non incentful grinding, makes for a poor game. If the game remained the way it was before, then i would recommend friends to play. As it stand now, that would be a Hell No!
  • sililossililos Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    As many have said: No.
    Cryptics actions are the reason.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No, and those that I invited already left.

Right there with you. Had a fleet of family and RL friends. They all bailed after last season.
  • janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Not anymore. I was quite excited by Delta Rising (no I didn't play on Tribble) but the insane level fo grind for XP, the "Hello old friend" power creep, and the thinness of the actual storyline outside of mindless patrols means that the game is no longer enjoyable for me, and I can't see it being terribly accessible to new players either.
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Considering the grind in this game is NOTHING compared to many other MMOs, and the whole not listending to players thing is normal for a MMO as well. Yes, I would, it is a fun game that might have serious problems, but it is still fun, and that is what matters.
  • oakland4lifeoakland4life Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No, not anymore... i did invited my friends long time ago, but they left over time due to lack of PvP Content, and with the broken promises for new Real PvP Content since Season 2... i guess i've have to continue to wait for PvP Content next season, again...

I would not recommend this game to any new player, because they have already lagged behind veteran players overall in traits and specializations, and it will take them a very long time due to mutiple long-term grinds... enough grinds that many veteran players even stop grinding with alts and focus only on 1 or a few toons
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Im updating my previous post to

It will be a cold day in hell before i recommend this game to ANYONE!!!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I am not really the type of guy to recommend games to friends. Especially MMOs. Too time consuming often. Also, it doesn't really seem my friends share my taste in gaming.

BUt if they'd ask, I'd recommend trying it out for themselves, but strongly recommend not to spend any money on the game until they reached endgame and feel like they know what they are doing. (I'd be happy to give them tips).
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • giveroffacialsgiveroffacials Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Not anymore.

The combination of HUGE bugs not being fixed, collective punishment for dev errors, the nerf cannon being indiscriminately, the menial tasks to keep up on (R&D, rep, etc.)and the huge cost increase in the game has crossed the line. I no longer consider it to be "fun" it is now more of a "job", and almost everyone has too much of that. The fun to cost ration has become ridiculously skewed, and cryptic seems to have lost sight of and appreciation for it's customers.
    Space the final frontier. These are the voyages of [your name here] on a five year mission to gain one level after the delta rising xp nerf.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This game was recommended to me by a friend...who has since left.
    The game was fine back then.
    There was PvP.
    There was a Klingon Faction (though that had to be unlocked).
    Far from perfect, but fun in spite of it.

My how things have changed.

The answer to the OP is a resounding NO.
    Cryptic is to blame for this mockery of what was a fun game.
    I'm holding out hope that they will shift from catering to the single Fed main players to fostering a multi-factioned PvP game.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • startrek1warsstartrek1wars Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yes. I would definitely recommend this game to a friend. DR is the most fun I've had in game since Season 8!
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    first off, most of my friends who are avid gamers know to stay away from cryptic games.. they give me greif all the time for sticking with sto for some silly reason (I still havnt figured out why, though my time per year spent in game is dropping more and more).

that being said, a few of my friends who have played this game, but quit a while ago, always ask me when there is a new release if its worth coming back.. and I always tell them, no, it isn't.

the truth sucks, but in the world of gaming cryptic is pretty much the pitts.

I tried to get into nwn as I am a huge r.a. Salvatore fan, love the forgotten realms. but the game released and felt like it was 12 years old already. sto looks awesome, but doesn't play anywhere near as good as most games on the market.

like I said in another post. I think the biggest problem cryptic/pwe has, is they don't dedicate to just one or two games. cryptic is on the verge of having what, 4 or 5 games running at the same time, and pwe seems to have the record for amount of games one developer has out at once.. while that sounds awesome, it really isn't. this means they invest a lot less into each individual game to support having multiple games. which in turn lowers the quality of the games under their development.

cryptic is essentially the bargain basement retailer of games.. you walk into their store, everything is chinsy and cheap, there is no customer service anywhere as they try to save money by not hiring the needed employees. sure, its inexpensive, but the quality is TRIBBLE. its not built to last.

I wouldn't recommend sub par product to someone (ie, bargain brand stuff) and I wont recommend a sub par game. I actively tell peeps who ask me about the game to stay away, not just from sto, but anything with the cryptic/pwe tag on it.. visit a lot of the other forums, they all basically have the same problems. the same things are being complained about, and the same issues are popping up in most of them.
  • zero2362zero2362 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Pre DR I was recommending it to all my friends. Now im warning people to stay away.

I wouldn't have minded the expansion if it hadn't ruined STFs and character progression then started punishing players for playing patrols which ironically appears to be the majority of the expansions content
    343rguu.jpg

• zachariyazachariya Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    with the XP nerf and advanced ques being super inflated and necessary for rep gear my answer is a solid no.
    Shoot through the Galaxy, Final Master Spark!
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    No, not as things are right now. I'm still hoping they can turn things around, but I can't see myself convincing a friend to play when I can't even convince myself.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I tell people the truth - it's the worst game I've ever played.

Actually they rank #2 in that category the worst Trek game ever made though was that one with shatner voice overs that walmart after 12 hours of it being on the shelves many years ago they reduced the price from 50 to 5 dollars lol. I think it was called Star Trek Legacy.

As far as recommending this game I would not on multiple fronts.

1. Besides grindy reps from season 7 the game hasn't changed its all about grind them out before ppl lose interest and the ques for that rep become dead.

2. The way they advertise this game it would be bigger if it was a KDF view point which they will never do. The part about federation and nice loving romulans just does not fit with a combat oriented game.

3. The disconnection between the Company(Devs) and the Players is so far apart I don't think it will ever become as close as it once was. Its just become a nerf what you gained in the last update/season and grind it again with more shineys bait and switch to keep the grind up.

4. The starbases and holdings I can see were needed but the aspect of an end game sort of is still lost with this game. A good game designer would design aspects of a game to where the reason behind grinding up this gear is to be able to use it in some aspect after completing reputations. Instead what this games reputation system does is after you don't need the gear that is when the final pieces are available to purchase to complete the sets. Its just part of a grindy mentality of inserting the chicken and egg dilemma. Most mmorpgs out there would and most of the time will do is insert a pvp team to handle this where they come out with newer pvp and pvx(Pve + PvP content). The not having a dedicated PvP or PvX team of people who are not in other roles of only what is needed are the people Cryptic does not have and is mostly going to be their downfall which depending on who you ask the majority of the player base might say that downfall is what you would call LoR and DR inserted into the game together.

5. I would have to have a friend first to be able to not recommend it to them so Cryptic might be safe.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    Pre DR sure - i was looking forward to the new content. I even bought the Operations Pack and dropped $100 on dil for upgrades.

Post DR - no. Massive buyers remorse.

My friends are leaving. The queues are empty. They (Cryptic) actually had to do a special event DURING the launch to keep people interested, and even those queues are practically empty.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Pre DR sure - i was looking forward to the new content. I even bought the Operations Pack and dropped $100 on dil for upgrades.

Post DR - no. Massive buyers remorse.

My friends are leaving. The queues are empty. They (Cryptic) actually had to do a special event DURING the launch to keep people interested, and even those queues are practically empty.

Queues being empty for KDF player like me that is business as usual lol seeing all the zeroes. I do agree though has to be so horrible for one of these once or twice a year special events to come out just a few weeks after a major content update/season.

The real ball buster though is if this took time up for 1 quarter of the year they could possibly come back from such a failure but they took around 11-12 months to build this. So the predictions are going to be concise on what is to come. Most likely they are going to bull rush some other kind of grind that will release probably in february or march and then once in may which both will most likely fail horribly and it will be federation only content. So once the summer roles around they might release the summer event at the end of it announce the closing of STO.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Actually they rank #2 in that category the worst Trek game ever made though was that one with shatner voice overs that walmart after 12 hours of it being on the shelves many years ago they reduced the price from 50 to 5 dollars lol. I think it was called Star Trek Legacy.

I don't get it. Why does everybody hate Legacy so much? Sure, it's not half as good as the engine would allow, but...

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • wudwaenwudwaen Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    fuglass wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am asking for others thoughts and feelings on this question, obviously I have my own opinion but I'm hoping to expand my point of view.
    If you choose to reply a simple yes or no is fine, but it'd be great if you would explain you position. Having said that this in not a Pro/Con Cryptic thread so there is no need to attack or 'correct' anyone's opinion since that's what I'm asking for anyway.

So on to the question:

Thanks in advance!
    -Glass

No.

1) They need real customer service.
    2) They need real customer support.
    3) They need to get our game back.
    Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. ~ Cecil Beaton
  • fuglassfuglass Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    [Sarcasm]As of today I have decided that "YES" I will recommend this game to all my friends! Just like Cryptic no longer wants people to play this game. I no longer want any friends, not even the ones I grew up with, TRIBBLE my daughter's God Parents![/Sarcasm]
  • cervantxcervantx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Would i recomend? mmm well if my friend is on depression and got suicidal ideas and iam in his/her testament as the benficiary, yeah this is exactly the game to recomend.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/7dY4yCA.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    GG Cryptic.

dnirg eht nioj
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Still no. NOT unless they are a diehard ST fan...

Sorry, the game is just not good enough to recommend to anyone. Even worse now that it is perpetually broken.

You get what you pay for. That includes, especially, F2P games.

Drop the F2P, bring back the sub, fix the game then maybe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • doublechadoublecha Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    yes, only my best enemy
    Qapla'
  • ivannanukeivannanuke Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Not a chance, the c-store is overpriced, the XP nerf is stupid, the adv/ellite queues are broken and never used, half the elite players I knew are leaving/left.

Unless Cryptic does more then TRIBBLE about with club graphics, and make new items for their stupid ****ing c-store, not a chance.
    PROUD TO PLAY THIS GAME MINUS TO GIVING ANY INCOME TO CRYPTIC
  • shinra84shinra84 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hello,
    I am asking for others thoughts and feelings on this question, obviously I have my own opinion but I'm hoping to expand my point of view.
    If you choose to reply a simple yes or no is fine, but it'd be great if you would explain you position. Having said that this in not a Pro/Con Cryptic thread so there is no need to attack or 'correct' anyone's opinion since that's what I'm asking for anyway.

So on to the question:

Thanks in advance!
    -Glass

No way.

- Too much bugs
    - Too much grind
    - Nothing new in DR expansion (copy & paste missions)
    - Not all stf's have elite difficulty
    - Old engine
    - Slow UI
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CLR—Infected Space[2:24]—Dmg(DPS)—Bi'Quarpa@9.163.310(65.437)—Xindi-E(dbb/mk.xiv)—build
    CLR—Infected Space[2:06]—Dmg(DPS)—Bi'Quarpa@6.421.868(52.210)—JHAS(dhc/mk.xiv)—build
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Before DR, yeah, absolutely. Now? Nope.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    dalolorn wrote: »
    I don't get it. Why does everybody hate Legacy so much? Sure, it's not half as good as the engine would allow, but...

Same here, I liked that game too.

But on topic, I've been trying to get my brother to come back from Swtor, after he left STO a year and a half ago, but now... not anymore. I've told him not to bother, since even I dont have fun anymore either, even if I still like some aspects of the game. But as awhole, STO is not fun anymore and now with the latest nerfs, its starts to be a game worth leaving...
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    At this point...no. I cannot recommend it anymore, not without serious fixes that actually listen to and incorporate customer feedback.

I also cannot recommend that current players contribute in any way to the Zen OR Dilithium markets.

QUALITY IS CUSTOMER-DEFINED. The producer of goods does NOT get a say in what quality actually is. The "any color you like as long as it's black" approach is DEAD and those who try to stick with it anyway will pay financially in the end.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • ivannanukeivannanuke Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    edalgo wrote: »
    I'd tell a friend to play STO, do the story missions, try the content, but Do Not repeat content.

Anything more is futile. Your biological and technological finances will become theirs. Any attempt at reasonable and canon based requests will fail.

Don't Fall Into the Trap!

Nail on the ****in head here.
    PROUD TO PLAY THIS GAME MINUS TO GIVING ANY INCOME TO CRYPTIC