test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stephen D’Angelo, Numbers and Logic

Comments

• sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    i see dozens of sto vids on youtube. i see many guides in the guide section that don't have his name of them. and while i remember his infected vid i've done a dozen advanced queues with my t5u ship doing 10-12k dps without failing a single one of them. so his infected vid and thread seemed more like a scare tactic then being helpful becaue my fleet hasn't failed one yet and we're not elite players.

The videos and guides were made by people LIKE him, as I stated. Do I think all guides were made by him? Seriously? Come one now.

The high DPS people figure the stuff out first, and then clue us in. I don't see what's wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks. Saying they do ridiculous DPS isn't bragging. It just is how it is, and being jealous, or resentful of it makes no sense to me.

These people get massive DPS out of their builds. They level extraordinarily fast, as a result. They could be penalized for this, when there are no shenanigans involved. Why is that not a problem?

Even if you hate HOW they play, who cares? Just like no one cares how they feel about how you play, or bragging about how you are supposedly proving their video wrong. If you think it's elitist, fine. Doesn't change anything.

I don't care if people fly rainbow boats and shuttles only in reverse in the Delta Quadrant, as long as they're not on my team.
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So youre only reason for disagreeing with what was said in the OP was the OPs perceived ego and arrogance?

You were that easily distracted from what was at the core of what he said that you were moved to disagree with him entirely even though you both suffered due to the same circumstances?

In no way shape or form was the OP lording anything over the Playerbase. Not once did he refer to anyone within the community as noobs and morons. He simply pointed out that he and his friends have more knowledge about the game itself then the developers. And that is insanity. When a group of Developers cant fathom how their own game works as intimately as these Top of the Hill players.

no i mean that even if they could finsih missions much faster the devs had a reason to nerf everything obviously i dont agree with what they did by punishing everyone but my opinion will never change that. my disagreement is that the devs will never bother to hear what us players have to say.
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You were that easily distracted from what was at the core of what he said that you were moved to disagree with him entirely even though you both suffered due to the same circumstances?

In all fairness, that dude's ego is so intense that it probably distracts God himself.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    imruined wrote: »
    Yeah, this thread's not gonna go well... All I read was ego...

Yeah, there's always a bit of that in her posts. ;) It's justified ego, though. There is a realm of existence so far beyond your own, you cannot even imagine it. That's where she flies. I've had the privilege of being taken on a mission with a few friends in her circle, once. Trust me, when you fly with them, all known laws of physics become invalid on the spot! All armor, utter meaningless! They kill stuff so wickedly fast, that none of that matters. Really, the entite dynamic of the game changes! I was able to get a few shots off, but then everything was dead already.

So, when she speaks, I tend to listen.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    i made this post fully aware that anti-DPS crowd where gonna jump in with cries of "elitist". I'm pretty sure they don't understand what that word means.

I could have worded my post differently, perhaps more humbly but it would not have made a difference to the forum denizens. I'm labelled an Elitist no matter what i do.

Yes i can be smug, arrogant, egotistical sometimes, but i'm not an elitist. I don't exclude anyone, i don't keep secrets.

This time i needed to drop all pretense and humbleness to lay it out like it is. I am not just speaking for myself but for the DPS league as well. Yes it comes out as obnoxious but sometimes the truth cannot be sugar coated.
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    In all fairness, that dude's ego is so intense that it probably distracts God himself.

In all fairness, God himself would probably struggle to match the OP...

At least at first.
  • atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Feather weight ego... Unless this person claims to be the best in the universe, or the best player in the history of existence-- I'm not feeling it. I make those claims all the time. Of course I prefer human targets. I wont waste my time with mindless A.I.. That's nothing to brag about.

My ego is 92 trillion Lightyears in diameter. The same size of the known visible universe... I just felt the need to share this information for anyone who's in awe of that feather weight.
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    In all fairness, God himself would probably struggle to match the OP...

At least at first.

I've been coaching him. God is good at listening but doesn't have enough dil to upgrade all his gear yet. the dil nerf kinda screwed him like the rest of us.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Why is it so hard to believe that a group of players that could complete the old pre-DR ISE in a minute could plow through elite DR patrols in mere minutes?

Check my signature below, my character Jena is the highest DPSing non-romulan toon in the game. I can push out 15x to 17x more damage than your average player.

My friends and I in the DPS league do so much damage together that we completely wiped the floor with your pride and joy "Elite" difficulty Battle of Korfez. We made it seem so easy that it could have been mistaken for an Normal difficulty queue. We ploughed it so hard that your developers where impressed, started calling us "Wizards" on the P1 podcast interview, and wanted to get in contact with us to find out how we did it.

We are so good at this game that we could literally take all our weapons off our ships except 1 and still out perform your average player. We are that good.

Our performance numbers are so astronomically higher than your average STO player, why would you not think our leveling efficiency would also be astronically higher?

Do you honestly think that if you put 4 or 5 50k, 60k, 70k, 80k DPS players together in a team that we would toddle along leveling at the same speed as your average 3k DPS player?

I believe that you and/or some of your devs should have a sit down with some of us in the DPS league so we can teach you how to properly play this game.

reads like someone is a bit defensive, perhaps feeling the needs to defend considering the nerfs? perhaps so concerned that if contact was made and were forced to give up the know how that it would spell the doom of this ego trip and his need to gloat? one can always wonder how this will go down.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • aureleusaureleus Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This makes sense actually, think about it. A group of ppl with Extremely *Specified* builds with the intent of DPS.

These ppl are going to have an advantage when it comes to lvling, even solo, just in the simple fact that they kill the mobs far quicker then the average player. So of-course its going to look like and *Exploit* when a group of them team up to take on patrols on elite.

The problem now is that Cryptic freaked out when these ppl with the super high DPS starting lvling Alot, because of there DPS, so now the Dev's nerfed the Exp gained in a group :( which totally defeats one of the aspects of a MMO in my opinion >.>.

But in all honestly with the way the Exp is currently I think its become bugged all around, whether your in a group or not, so now Everyone gets screwed on lvling ultimately cause of Cryptics quick yet untested *supposed* patch/fix to this so called *Exploit*.

And now nobody is happy with the current state of the games lvling curve >.<'.
  • arthgon2049arthgon2049 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I completely agree with the OP, the devs didn't take into account that there are people in this game that can literally do some insane things with their ships in this game where mobs just disappear in front of them.

Heck, I run a ship that can spit out 20k plus dps and was tearing into mobs on elite, not as fast as the OP I'm sure, but I completely agree, if you are that good at the game, you deserved to be rewarded for your efforts.

He/she put the time in, to maximize their build, how does it make sense he/she wouldn't maximize her skill point gain? Especially if she is doing 50k plus dps, I mean come on, it's not rocket science.
    edited October 2014
    I've been coaching him. God is good at listening but doesn't have enough dil to upgrade all his gear yet. the dil nerf kinda screwed him like the rest of us.

If it wasn't for it's truth, that would be hilarious...
    edited October 2014
    i made this post fully aware that anti-DPS crowd where gonna jump in with cries of "elitist". I'm pretty sure they don't understand what that word means.

I could have worded my post differently, perhaps more humbly but it would not have made a difference to the forum denizens. I'm labelled an Elitist no matter what i do.

Yes i can be smug, arrogant, egotistical sometimes, but i'm not an elitist. I don't exclude anyone, i don't keep secrets.

This time i needed to drop all pretense and humbleness to lay it out like it is. I am not just speaking for myself but for the DPS league as well. Yes it comes out as obnoxious but sometimes the truth cannot be sugar coated.

Anti-DPS crowd? I'm pretty sure such a thing does not exist. Why should I care how you play the game? I come from Eve where myriad styles of play are par for the course. The only people who seem to care how you play are Cryptic. Over at Eve, it would be celebrated -- by the devs themselves! I just think your attitude is way over the top and unjustified (perhaps partially because of my background).

All of that said, I do detect a breath of genuineness in the way you speak, and that's something I actually tend to appreciate in people. The truth doesn't need to be sugar-coated; you just need to learn some tact. I say this as someone who has had to do the same his entire life and still struggle to do so at times. Whether or not my words resonate with you at all, that is really all I wanted to say.
    edited October 2014
    reads like someone is a bit defensive, perhaps feeling the needs to defend considering the nerfs? perhaps so concerned that if contact was made and were forced to give up the know how that it would spell the doom of this ego trip and his need to gloat? one can always wonder how this will go down.

Sarcasm is one of the people who will share as much info as you can process, who spends a vast amount of time and resources testing out stuff and helping other players to improve.

Unlike you, who cries to mods in seemingly every other post.
    edited October 2014
    Sarcasm is one of the people who will share as much info as you can process, who spends a vast amount of time and resources testing out stuff and helping other players to improve.

Unlike you, who cries to mods in seemingly every other post.

uh huh. do you have something constructive or not?
    edited October 2014
    uh huh. do you have something constructive or not?

Well, you never do.
    edited October 2014
    Well, you never do.

so you dont have anything, then why make a comment for then?
  • ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Shouldnt you be running off to PM Askray about now?
    edited October 2014

Because you were being an idiot, spouting off incorrect bull droppings attempting to make a pitiful, and wrong, remark.
  • v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah... its the attitude of the OP that basically put me off PVP...not just me, a lot of others. As the ego's pf the 50+ DPS'ers get more inflated than Bono of U2's ego...more and more people look at pvp as one single thing...

A JOKE...thats what PVP essentially is.

As for spewing out 80k DPS, yeah, thanks for that...now the STF's have got harder, it will take more and more time for new players to gain rep and all the while the 80k dps'ers will start to break into the 100k or 200k territory. As the top level SMALL...TINY minority get better, cryptic has to do something, anything, to combat the power creep, and guess what? Yeah, thats right, the 95% or so of the rest of us are left to struggle.

Well carry on, by the time you lot do hit 200k DPS most of the rest of us would have quit the game, cryptic would be forced to shut the thing down due to little or no income and you can pat yourselves on the back for driving off the rest of us...
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Im really not sure what youre trying to get at here. Im not God but I was surely able to get passed his ego and I tend to dislike arrogant people.

Fact is, the anger needs to be angled towards Cryptic. Not each other. His ego has nothing to do with the Tau Dewa Lockdown, the SP nerf and XP nerf. Nothing. So if people would maybe swallow their pride a little for once. And actually paid attention to the OPs intentions. Theyd be able to get passed that ego and see the truth in what it is hes saying.
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    v1ctor1st wrote: »
    Yeah... its the attitude of the OP that basically put me off PVP...not just me, a lot of others. As the ego's pf the 50+ DPS'ers get more inflated than Bono of U2's ego...more and more people look at pvp as one single thing...

As for spewing out 80k DPS, yeah, thanks for that...now the STF's have got harder, it will take more and more time for new players to gain rep and all the while the 80k dps'ers will start to break into the 100k or 200k territory. As the top level SMALL...TINY minority get better, cryptic has to do something, anything, to combat the power creep, and guess what? Yeah, thats right, the 95% or so of the rest of us are left to struggle.

Well carry on, by the time you lot do hit 200k DPS most of the rest of us would have quit the game, cryptic would be forced to shut the thing down due to little or no income and you can pat yourselves on the back for driving off the rest of us...

If you were finishing Infected Elite in under 5 minutes pre-DR, you're part of why they upped the difficulty. If you look at the entire expansion, it's about less rewards for more time and effort.

If not, then what's wrong with Normal?
  • atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Anyone with DPS higher than 20k instantly dies versus me in PVP. In about 1.08 seconds. I don't get why people are amazed by high damage... Glad PVP is based on brains and not 50K+ damage. Anyone with damage that high will lose to me 100% of the time. I'll swear to god on that. I'm ultra sure of it...
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2014
    Because you were being an idiot, spouting off incorrect bull droppings attempting to make a pitiful, and wrong, remark.

i cant see any reason to keep this going, your not being reasonable, thats your problem and i will leave you to it whatever you are going on about.
    edited October 2014
    atlantra wrote: »
    Anyone with DPS higher than 20k instantly dies versus me in PVP. In about 1.08 seconds. I don't get why people are amazed by high damage... Glad PVP is based on brains and not 50K+ damage. Anyone with damage that high will lose to me 100% of the time. I'll swear to god on that. I'm ultra sure of it...

Cuz that's what this thread needed: more ego. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited October 2014
    Im really not sure what youre trying to get at here. Im not God but I was surely able to get passed his ego and I tend to dislike arrogant people.

Fact is, the anger needs to be angled towards Cryptic. Not each other. His ego has nothing to do with the Tau Dewa Lockdown, the SP nerf and XP nerf. Nothing. So if people would maybe swallow their pride a little for once. And actually paid attention to the OPs intentions. Theyd be able to get passed that ego and see the truth in what it is hes saying.

I know specifically what his intent was and it was honorable. My background is not the same as yours; I have my reasons for seeing through an ego like that with some measure of disdain. The God thing was a joke. Lighten up, hmm?

Because they're made of glass. XD

(and probably short range too)
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sinn74 wrote: »
    You do realize that its players like the OP who are making the guides, showing videos on the new stuff most can't do, and giving advice on how to play better, right?

Am I the only one who remembers the thread (with video) warning everyone about Infected Advanced?
    sinn74 wrote: »
    The videos and guides were made by people LIKE him, as I stated. Do I think all guides were made by him? Seriously? Come one now.

The high DPS people figure the stuff out first, and then clue us in. I don't see what's wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks. Saying they do ridiculous DPS isn't bragging. It just is how it is, and being jealous, or resentful of it makes no sense to me.

These people get massive DPS out of their builds. They level extraordinarily fast, as a result. They could be penalized for this, when there are no shenanigans involved. Why is that not a problem?

Even if you hate HOW they play, who cares? Just like no one cares how they feel about how you play, or bragging about how you are supposedly proving their video wrong. If you think it's elitist, fine. Doesn't change anything.

I don't care if people fly rainbow boats and shuttles only in reverse in the Delta Quadrant, as long as they're not on my team.

The videos made, didn't seem very informative to me, other than expect high hp npc's!

The level of so called skill involved in defeating them, was utterly devoid of any actual skill other than spam skills + tons of BFAW, doesn't take a rocket scientist to do that!

Than we have the OP coming off as acting better than the majority, backed by brown noser's trying to defend the OP.

All while trying to act like they, along with other's were not exploiting a programming error, despite whether Cryptic was or, wasn't aware of it or, even if they were made aware of it and, didn't have time to fix it.

Maybe you should read deeply into the meaning of elitist and, consider yourself just good at figuring how to maximize player provided programming and, not so much of the I am the best around attitude.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=elitist

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/elitist

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/elitist

This is why you come off looking/smelling/sounding/acting like an elitist!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

edited October 2014

Because they're made of glass. XD

And because of her Feedback Pulse. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited October 2014
    v1ctor1st wrote: »

The STFs aren't any harder, they just take longer.

If a new player puts in the effort to understand the mechanics and fly properly they will not have any issues in STO. You can do 10k DPS on mission reward gear, all you need is knowledge and the capacity to fly straight.

Hell, constant 125 power on weapons and being vaguely near target and you should do 6-8k DPS in combat on any Cruiser on the basic gear a T5 runs simply by firing 8 beams at full power at the right target, no Tac boffs required.

Only cause you use FBP. You are easily dealt with, just don't bother shooting at you.

:)

i cant see any reason to keep this going, your not being reasonable, thats your problem and i will leave you to it whatever you are going on about.

So attacking Sarcasm (top of page 8) is ok, but when someone points out that you are wrong you try to weasel out of it.

The videos made, didn't seem very informative to me, other than expect high hp npc's!

The level of so called skill involved in defeating them, was utterly devoid of any actual skill other than spam skills + tons of BFAW, doesn't take a rocket scientist to do that!

Than we have the OP coming off as acting better than the majority, backed by brown noser's trying to defend the OP.

All while trying to act like they, along with other's were not exploiting a programming error, despite whether Cryptic was or, wasn't aware of it or, even if they were made aware of it and, didn't have time to fix it.

Maybe you should read deeply into the meaning of elitist and, consider yourself just good at figuring how to maximize player provided programming and, not so much of the I am the best around attitude.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=elitist

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/elitist

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/elitist

This is why you come off looking/smelling/sounding/acting like an elitist!

I was wondering when you would turn up.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    bareel wrote: »
    Any moderately aware player knew elite difficulty gave the best exp if you had the dps for it. Finding out if you had the dps for it took what, twenty minutes? I, as a player, have no way of knowing if that level of exp was intended or not since the last time I used anything other than doffs to level was nearly a year ago.

Yep. People were constantly told that elite difficulty would give more XP. It's pretty pathetic that even with the bugged XP (5x vs 2x) you'd still have to grind between missions.
This discussion has been closed.