What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would you recommend STO to a friend?

Comments

• Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yes and NO, as the game stands its not really friendly to new players in the long term for any casual player to not too. for 24/7 grinder mmo types maybe , but with the current state of the game new players invested in playing the game past the epsiode mark dont have any way to progress well . till they fix the creep gap between new non rep 50 and those rep completed 50 - 60 players .

with these issues i cant in good standings to promote any one to spend any money or planing to play past a certain point .

for trek fans , sure try it out for a few weeks but warn them of the games flaws after attaining lvl50.

what i would do is warn them on BUYING ANYTHING till endlevel and just use what the game gives you . even at 50 . cuz in the long run its not worth it as the game stands .
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    In a word, no. Or, at the very least, I would warn them against it and, for the record, ANY games handled by Cryptic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    In a word, no. Or, at the very least, I would warn them against it and, for the record, ANY games handled by Cryptic.

i hope you tell them off for PWE games to ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    mwgacy1mwgacy1 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    fuglass wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am asking for others thoughts and feelings on this question, obviously I have my own opinion but I'm hoping to expand my point of view.
    If you choose to reply a simple yes or no is fine, but it'd be great if you would explain you position. Having said that this in not a Pro/Con Cryptic thread so there is no need to attack or 'correct' anyone's opinion since that's what I'm asking for anyway.

So on to the question:

Thanks in advance!
    -Glass

No.

The amount required, in both money and in game resources, to level a character to 60, pick up gear, traits, BOffs, level Reputations etc and to arrive at a good, solid, end game character is becoming a little extreme. I actually deleted a couple of characters when I realised how resource intensive it would be just before DR was released; from a maximum of 15 or so a couple of years ago I'm now down to just the one character.

But mostly, I just don't find the game fun to play since DR was released. Season 8 had me disappearing for 6 months, I came back a couple of months back and already I'm drifting again, the current release of several short missions and lots of patrols is just horrible; just as the space combat has become it's merely tedious and I honestly couldn't describe STO as fun in its current incarnation.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    fuglass wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am asking for others thoughts and feelings on this question, obviously I have my own opinion but I'm hoping to expand my point of view.
    If you choose to reply a simple yes or no is fine, but it'd be great if you would explain you position. Having said that this in not a Pro/Con Cryptic thread so there is no need to attack or 'correct' anyone's opinion since that's what I'm asking for anyway.

So on to the question:

Thanks in advance!
    -Glass

dont have friends, waste of time and i dont trust anyone not even myself. keeps things interesting that way :P.

so as far as sending the game along to another called a "friend" is rather absurd, everyone i have once known dont strike me as the type to play trek games, in all of em only 2 people i knew played games long enough, one was with world of craft and chatting about the next expansion to level 80 or something like that years ago and my brother who plays as much as i do on games, but gave up sto years ago. aprt from that, no chance.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    YES i would tell personal friends who love star trek to give it a go, if they are starting out there is so much for them to see and experience from the trek universe in all the early missions. regardless of endgame content hassles by some at the moment..
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    i hope you tell them off for PWE games to ;)

Good point. Very good point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Abso-frelling-lutely not.

Some very long time bugs just keep coming back.

The NPCs hit points are cartoonishly high and do not stay contained to their alleged settings. (Looking at you Elite Mobs spawning on normal patrols.)

Mid tier queue gear is now worthless if you don't drop enormous amounts of time or money into it.

The devs do a poor job of communicating.

And almost as aggravating as the nonsense of the last three days, the die hard Cryptic Defense Forumites sound more and more like battered domestics. Seriously, Cryptic will not elevate you no matter how loudly you shriek their praises.
  • Options
    mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    you guys seriously need to get a grip on reality....

Star Trek? check
    Science Fiction? check
    Free to Play? check
    Ground combat and Space? check

Take out the Star Trek and you still wouldn't find anything else out there like it. If you want to go frolicking with fairies and hobbits be my guest but it still doesn't even come close.

There's not a single person above me that has the right to say they can't recommend this game to a friend yet they are in a big hurry to slam it in the forums provided to you or in game.

No one forced you to level to 60, buy T6 ships, gear up to XIV, or anything else.

If you don't like it GTFO and find something else.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    There's not a single person above me that has the right to say they can't recommend this game to a friend yet they are in a big hurry to slam it in the forums provided to you or in game.

Oh gee, did we need to check with you to see if we had the right to voice our opinions?

Maybe I should check with you if I can call my mother too... I wouldn't want you to have to discipline me...
  • Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Not in it's current state, no.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Nope, I would never suggest this game to anyone. Unless you love trek, there's no point in dealing with tedious game play and incompetent Devs.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If I knew that all my friend wanted was to shoot things in Star Trek ships? Absolutely I would.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I wouldn't recommend STO even if I disliked the person I was talking to. I wouldn't wish this on my friends or even passing strangers with the current dev leadership and decision history.
  • Options
    aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Absolutely not.

Firstly, their customer service, well, it sucks. Rocks. Big ones. I still have an unanswered ticket from two years ago, and the very rare instance I actually received a response, it was basically "tough TRIBBLE" even though it was a mission that was so bugged my character was stuck inside. Let's not even get started on random, silent nerfs and the petty attitudes of the devs.

Secondly, this game has become more and more a job, rather than the fun it used to be. This "game" stopped being fun ages ago. Unless someone can devote hours and hours a day, and probably their soul, and firstborn child, I'd recommend they not even bother. You can't (for most) be a very casual player and expect to be able to accomplish anything in a reasonable amount of time. This game is no longer built to accommodate folks who might only have an hour a day to play. No, I am not speaking of myself. I am partially disabled and pretty close to housebound, most of the time, so I could play this damn near 24/7, if I felt like. I'm lucky to play a few hours a month anymore; the game just isn't fun!

It's also now solely about money, money, and more money. Yes, it is a business and I understand that, but literally almost everything is a blatant cash grab.

for how job-like this game has become, Cryptic may as well start handing out paychecks to people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My only friend is my cat Princess Jellyfish and I already tried to suggest STO to her but she looked at it then transformed back into a Jellyfish and went to the ocean to eat some planktons. She said that catching planktons in her tentacles is more fun than STO.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    aelrhiana wrote: »
    for how job-like this game has become, Cryptic may as well start handing out paychecks to people.

You would need to buy a zen token to open the RNG of the paybox...
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,804 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    YES by all means. Its a great and stable game. My fleet needs more new blood and bunch of us just bought the packs...enjoying those ships :D

DISCLAIMER:
    Honest opinion from a lifer..yes there are a few of us that actually LIKE the new content and CRYPTIC is not paying my salary :cool:
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No I would discourage it actually
  • Options
    jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No. The only saving grace this game has is the intellectual property. Candy Crush is more professionally run then this has been lately.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    DISCLAIMER:
    Honest opinion from a lifer..yes there are a few of us that actually LIKE the new content and CRYPTIC is not paying my salary :cool:

Hey man. I like the content and the new ships. Actually I love the Eclipse. (With T6 Hull, but to each hizzer own on that score.)

It's being called a dirty exploiter for grinding on various patrols through the Alpha & Beta Quadrants, (to include Tau Dewa but not exclusively) when that was just fine before one of PWE's bean counters thought they weren't selling enough XP boosts. And this is after all of the my woman is going to murder me if she finds out how much money I've dumped into this game kind of money.

It's also the devs or C.M.s, whoever would be responsible to do this on other games, failing to communicate what's going on with players and massively nerfing everything because they had a vision, were warned said vision needed help to happen, ignored said warning, and have the gall to blame us the loyal players.
  • Options
    darkdog13darkdog13 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    you guys seriously need to get a grip on reality....

Star Trek? check
    Science Fiction? check
    Free to Play? check
    Ground combat and Space? check

Take out the Star Trek and you still wouldn't find anything else out there like it. If you want to go frolicking with fairies and hobbits be my guest but it still doesn't even come close.

No one forced you to level to 60, buy T6 ships, gear up to XIV, or anything else.

If you don't like it GTFO and find something else.

Eve has everything but the ground combat (calling ground combat in sto a plus is quite funny).
    Eve is not free to play in a traditional sense but due to plex it is pretty easy to play for free.

Without the IP this game would have died long ago with the way it has been run.
  • Options
    maxdredmaxdred Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    NO.

Maybe a few years ago I would have but not now. Not when it feels like Cryptic is at war with its own customers.
  • Options
    gatsie7gatsie7 Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hell no ! Kids run the company and take there ball and go home when they get mad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yes, i would recommend this game.

The new expansion has been great and has really fleshed out the story line, beautiful locations and zones, and a all around fun game to play
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have and continue to recommend it to those who I think will enjoy it. In fact this weekend I'll be helping a friend of a friend learn it possibly via lan party.

I also have other friends who I know will hate the mechanics and gameplay and I steer them elsewhere.
  • Options
    mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    darkdog13 wrote: »
    Eve has everything but the ground combat (calling ground combat in sto a plus is quite funny).
    Eve is not free to play in a traditional sense but due to plex it is pretty easy to play for free.

Without the IP this game would have died long ago with the way it has been run.

So in other words a game that's not free to play, and has no ground combat is the best you can do?

Sorry, try again, and if you really believed that why are you here and not playing Eve?

Just nothing but whining beyond anything I've seen since my last visit to Sonoma Valley.