Install Arc
Options

Paying to win, its what people wanted

124»

Comments

• Options
    maxwilsonmaxwilson Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Oh, absolutely. I'm not disagreeing with you. And I certainly am not one of those people who yell at Cryptic for not putting out content every day-week-month. I'm a patient man. Except when it comes to grinding. I don't mind the waiting part after the fact. People make multiple toons. I have played the same character for almost 5 years. Basically I guess what I boil down to is, I want the cool stuff without putting in the work for it and I'm willing to pay for it. Selfish and childish, I know.

But I do appreciate how hard the devs work. Even in this downtime. I'm sure they're working hard to fix the issue.
    Veteran lifer since the beta.
  • Options
    thraxianxthraxianx Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It is the nature of the balance of MMO's these days, i have no problem with it as so many others do. Besides im on a lifer account, but it is well worth it as i bought my son one as well.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,973 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    vestereng wrote: »
    Another de-rail by a developer apologist who doesn't know anything about gaming, how shocking
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shocker_%28hand_gesture%29

A 0.0001 % advantage in stats, you can only buy is pay2win.

It has zero do with what you think it means. It has nothing to do with scripting the game to autopilot as you are talking about.

Just one time before I die, I'd like to see a developer apologist bring up an actual point instead of trolling the debate with nitpicking and word splitting.

Just 1 time bring up a point, just 1 time

Here's one, complaining about pay to win in a free to play game is asinine. The entire monetary system in nearly any game like this is based on the option to use real currency to acquire game content. And in something like STO which features combat a lot of that content is naturally going to have some sort of desirable tactical advantage. What STO does however is ensure that all but a few token ships and perks are available to players if they want to put the time into the system instead (and that very much includes the new systems).

If you have a problem with this format, play a different kind of game.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    archerfanaticarcherfanatic Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    stoneloki wrote: »
    Wanna win in PVE? Pay

Wanna win in STF's? Pay

Wanna win in PVP? well its always been like that

Wanna be Elite? Don't worry we won't make you grind, just give us money!

If you need to pay to win pve or stfs, you should just uninstall and stop being a burden to the people you queue with in group finder. Pvp is broken period. It's not p2w either.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    (and that very much includes the new systems).

If you have a problem with this format, play a different kind of game.

Thanks but I had actually said sto was not pay2win and was mocking some apologist for saying it was a feature in which "if I pay money I win the whole game while being afk"

Which of course would require only 1 person or 1 team to have a pay2win option so I found that hilarious

If I don't like go somewhere else? If you don't like what you see on the forum, you go somewhere else how is that?

Complainers made the world what it is, all change comes from people who want things to get better.

Them other people are the real threat to society figuratively speaking and buttom line.
  • Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Another de-rail by a developer apologist who doesn't know anything about gaming, how shocking

It has zero do with what you think it means. It has nothing to do with scripting the game to autopilot as you are talking about.

Just one time before I die, I'd like to see a developer apologist bring up an actual point instead of trolling the debate with nitpicking and word splitting.

No doubt....
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    borisvodikaborisvodika Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You guys are still on about this? the obsession is strong with these ones.

Protip: Its the weekend, go outside.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You guys are still on about this? the obsession is strong with these ones.

Protip: Its the weekend, go outside.

it's 2 a.m. I'd get mugged :P

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited September 2014
    P2Win? This again. *facepalm*

It's not the guns.

It's not the gear.

It's not the ships.

Its the player*, stupid.

All the best gear, on the best ships, with the best boffs and the most ridiculously overpriced doffs off the exchange is meaningless if you have a TRIBBLE for a captain.

The number of Falchions out there that couldn't stop a probe should be examples enough.

At the end of the day the better captain will win.

My Two Bits, Again.

Admiral Thrax

*and by player I mean 'build and the brains to use it effectively'.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited September 2014

again with this TRIBBLE, sorry, but you can believe all that TRIBBLE people say is P2W all you want.

As for other's, it isn't what they, nor you claim it to be, so maybe stop following the dumb crowd, and look into the actual meaning of winning!

Because nothing in this game, guarantees winning, NOTHING!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,486 Arc User
    edited September 2014

It's not the guns.

It's not the gear.

It's not the ships.

Its the player*, stupid.

All the best gear, on the best ships, with the best boffs and the most ridiculously overpriced doffs off the exchange is meaningless if you have a TRIBBLE for a captain.

The number of Falchions out there that couldn't stop a probe should be examples enough.

My Two Bits, Again.

Admiral Thrax

Thank you, this is what I always think personally as well.

Its not about the ship, its about her Captain that makes her into the ship she is in her particular field.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    stoneloki wrote: »
    [snip]
    Paying to win, now that makes them money, paying to be powerful, that makes them money.....
    [/snip]

Stone Loki,

Very concisely written OP. I'm glad that there are people like you alive on this planet. We need more ppl like you leading the brain trust of earth.

HOWEVER. Dun dun duuuuuun! :eek:

However...as for the rest of the posts that followed your own...99% of them, were responses from either genetically hypostatic or just plain blissful people who with their acidic remarks or who just failed to grasp the original concept AT ALL failed epically to contribute to it.

Yes, we have a few winners to draw from and I know that they know who they are.

OR WE COULD SAY (in order to keep this article politically correct but where the actualLY true real world definition of "politically correct" means bowing to pressure from groups whose values are morally bankrupt and whose ideas are diametrically aligned to your own) THEY WENT OFF TOPIC. ;)

Stone Loki, take some small pleasure in knowing that not all oysters are cast out in favor of bacon.

To the Idiot Mobile, Robin! :rolleyes:

P.S. Remember, wherever you go, there you are.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014

It's not the guns.

It's not the gear.

It's not the ships.

Its the player*, stupid.

My Two Bits, Again.

Admiral Thrax

Sure, player skill can change a lot. But... Similar player skill assumed, the better gear wins. And any good player will try to find the best gear for the job.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The Galaxy X? Go further back. The moment the Excelsior was released into the C-Store shortly after Launch and became the best combat Cruiser in the game it was P2W.

Of course it is only P2W for PvPers. For a PvEer you are not actually winning anything.

I respect your opinion but I have to point out I have a fleet excelsior and never paid a dime for it.
    Pay to win? sorry no.
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited September 2014

It's not the guns.

It's not the gear.

It's not the ships.

Its the player*, stupid.

My Two Bits, Again.

Admiral Thrax

No one is saying that just anyone can get into the best ship, with the best quality gear and win every mission, just because they have the top quality of everything. You are missing the point.

And whether or not you can see the Pay to Win attitude that they are trying to encourage, there are still the facts to consider.

They are bringing out multiple Dilithium sinks within a very short time of each other, with more still to come, and with outrageous Dilithium prices. Therefore, they are trying to drain the Dilithium that people have, as quickly as they can. This will mean that those that don't want to be left behind when they hit level 60, and the new Elite queues open, will need to get beyond their 8000 Dilithium refinement block. The only way to do that is with RL monies.

If they still charged Dilithium, but had reasonable prices, then it wouldn't be a problem. I don't mind grinding for the things I want to buy, or upgrade. But, when they make the prices so stupidly high for these things, just to try to get more people to spend money to not be restrained by the Dil refinement cap, they are taking the fun out of it.

This is why I am not going to upgrade my gear for a very long time. If they don't make the Mk XIII, and Mk XIV available to buy in fleet stores, or enemy drops, or even from missions, I may never have any. They don't understand what is fun. They think that new, pretty episodes are all that is needed for fun.

Don't get me wrong, I was wanting them to come out with more episodes, and would prefer they bring them out on a regular basis, like once every two months, if they can. However, after each episode is run through, where is the fun? The STFs, and PVEs are fun for a while, but the same thing all the time gets old, real quick.

But that is how they see fun. Then, to try to make it more fun, for those of us that asked for harder content, with smarter enemies, they just give us the new elite queues, and say that without the top gear, and upgraded ships, or new ones, you will fail. But, what about the enemies? Still the same thing, with more hit points, or swarms of them.

They really are not trying for smart enemies, but are focusing on turning enemies into heavy hitting tanks, that require the best of the best ships and gear to beat. And those without it get left behind, till they can eventually grind it out on their characters, or pay for it.

They are so focused on trying to get players to spend RL money on the game that they loose sight of the important thing...fun.

As for me, I will stick with what I have, or get more fleet gear (which I was going to do anyway), and just enjoy what few fun things they still have in the game. I stopped chasing the grind a long time ago. Not worth it for me. It is a game after all.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    capemike4capemike4 Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited September 2014

It's not the guns.

It's not the gear.

It's not the ships.

Its the player*, stupid.

My Two Bits, Again.

Admiral Thrax

I kinda like this statement.... :)

Anyone who's seen me and my Fleet Nebula will know that I tossed dps out the nearest airlock in exchange for the ability to tank nearly anything in PvE(I still don't like Cubes, though!), come out of it alive, and still help my friends win the day!

....c'mon, someone.....back me up, here? I could use a morale booster.... <_<

...we really must team up, someday, Thrax...toss me a mail in-game! :)
    When in doubt...Gravity Well TO THE FACE!! :D
  • Options
    xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    God help you all when Cryptic realise that they can get more money from creating fleet pvp events with either a league table or some sort of area control competition. These events would have massive rewards for the top fleets. Then you'll see a lot of money being dropped on the game for upgrades. ;)
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Oh, I get it. The dilithium exchange is being removed. No? Then the cost of zen must be going up. Oh, what, that's not cryptic fault. That greed path lies with the players. Oh, well maybe exchange items are going up in price. Nope, that's on the players too. Wait, of course, you can now only upgrade and get rep items and Cstore items by paying real money for it. No? Huh, then how exactly is this a p2w game again? Because last I checked, everyone had equal access to everything that matters, without having to spend a dime. You wanna see a real p2w game? Check out Star Citizen, or EVE Online, or WoW. In the meantime, stfu about it, because its all nonsense.
  • Options
    mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    xaraman wrote: »
    God help you all when Cryptic realise that they can get more money from creating fleet pvp events with either a league table or some sort of area control competition. These events would have massive rewards for the top fleets. Then you'll see a lot of money being dropped on the game for upgrades. ;)

You mean after their is a massive, incredible, embarrassing, disgraceful amount of cry before they even mention the possiblilty of it happening? Yeah, not gonna happen, any more than they will touch PVP before there is a lack of massive, incredible, embarrassing, disgraceful amount of cry if they did.
  • Options
    xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If there's money to be made, there's money to be made. Always remember, the vast majority of the player population doesn't read the forums that often ;). I'm only really here a few months and I'm already recognising the same names over and over again.

Cheers!