What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance (September 26, 2014) [Complete]

Comments

• Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What problem with the upgrade event is this latest patch supposed to correct?
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    nvm.... buff comprehensive reading ^^ :D
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »

I don't want to know. This reeks of exploit patching since the game seemed to not crash anymore.

Bad friends didn't let me know, fine by me. What goes around comes around.
  • Options
    jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited September 2014

dunno, but they said they would get us more info ASAP
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    I don't want to know. This reeks of exploit patching since the game seemed to not crash anymore.

Bad friends didn't let me know, fine by me. What goes around comes around.

That is exactly what I was thinking.
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Did you take down the Shard or Sherd Sever. I was in a middle of a battle and ZONK! Got sent to the Server Disconnect Screen.

You need to fix the Alloy plates for Neuxxx Everytime I got to upgrade it to Mark 12 rare or very rare Mark 13 it keeps on eating up my EC in 260K and all my spare refined Dilth-Ore is swallowed up. I have to refine some more still read 100% but no option to start the upgrade progress. At this rate that Mark 13 rare going to cost me like double 260K plus double 30K refined Dithuxx ore.

Thanks for listening.. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    stream7ine1stream7ine1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    WOW 2 DT's in one day cant wait till the delta patch :mad:
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm sure it's some kind of error that gives the players a slight advantage and must be dealt with quickly and severely!

;)
    :cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    snipey47asnipey47a Member Posts: 485 Media Corps
    edited September 2014

My guess would be... people exploiting a hole in the upgrade event..... yes... THAT one.
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited September 2014

I know all of this may be a little hard for you, but it is the reality. Usually, new people like you will dont understand all of this until they have played more than a year STO. Then you will realize what im talking about.

2nd account.. 16 toons.. 3 years playing.. but thanks for the condescension.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    snipey47a wrote: »
    My guess would be... people exploiting a hole in the upgrade event..... yes... THAT one.

Put down the hole and back away slowly... or We'll fill you in!

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    Frankly, with so much down time today, the event should be extended until Tuesday. I can only play Fridays and Mondays and this killed my Friday.
  • Options
    spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    How long will the game be down?
    P58WJe7.jpg

• Options
    rockon1973rockon1973 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The server is down again how long this time?
  • Options
    cody0893cody0893 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    bug bug bug bug bug crash bug bug bug crash crash bug crash bug crash. Does this sound familar? lol
    They killed your Alt's now they want your main
  • Options
    loverofwarsloverofwars Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    hm prepared to log on sto for an evening of fun, server down REPEAT SERVER DOWN send in scotty, he might need a refresher course in IT warp cores just aren't the same

anywho...maint at this time something must be really broke or really exploitable either way i'm really bored
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,522 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Wish I knew the exploits before they pulled down the servers...

:)

j/k, I wouldn't do that...

:D

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I made a new character that was a Rom. I couldn't get a new ship until level 23 because double xp and New Romulus Command was not available and no Promotion quest given for the free ship. By the time that unlocked I was in T3 ranking.

Then the event mission to pick up the free items for upgrading just vanished when I finally could get to Romulan Command to collect that too. So no items either as that mission never came back.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Maybe it will be fixed by the time I get my computer back. I haven't been able to play for two days due to power supply popping.....again.

I really hope things get fixed, mikoto was making a new character and was about 90% done when the server went down on her, and she claims she got no warning whatsoever that they were about to go down.

Needless to say, she is very angry.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Naturally the game will bug/crash until fixed when a new system comes out. Anyone here long enough already expects it to happen. Though consider the craziness if everything including the upgrade system was released on the 14th.
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I guess no eta on how long this will be down?
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2014

I don't know about exploits but it seemed like a bad design to allow a newly made level 1 to claim the upgrades.

If you have 10 ACTIVE alts and you want to pass around a piece of BoE gear to upgrade, that's fine. But the potential for newly made level 1s to continue to claim the free upgrades and apply them seems suspect. Not necessarily an exploit but definitely a poor design choice I can see being patched out (and one that occured to me as soon as I saw how the giveaway was done).

Actually, the larger issue is probably that a low level alt can apply an upgrade on a piece of gear that they are too low to actually upgrade themselves and then pass it to an alt.

Not necessarily an exploit but, again, something that was bug reported on Tribble and something that, with some foresight, would be particularly undesirable with the upgrade weekend.

Nobody calls me up to ask me what I think of the design decisions though. ;-) Sometimes, I think there's clearly too much rush to push for updates, particularly monetized ones, and not enough hem and haw over the details. I have no clue what the pressures are driving those decisions or if it's external pressure or simply managerial priorities.

Come on, Heinig! I realize Emmert went to Chicago but he didn't study econ there. Don't let Chicago economics run your managerial decision making. (Disclaimer: I'm just making a friendly jab. Chicago economics -- also called freshwater -- is ratcheted up to the nines supply side econ where they discount the idea of externalities -- hidden costs -- and have been skeptical of behavioral econ -- which is where you soften and modify your approach as a business based on psychological study of consumers. Incidentally, Richard Coase, who put Chicago's economics on the map by slagging Arthur Pigou, backed away from where the philosophy went. Heinig and Rivera strike me as the econ guys on STO and I suspect the Chicago school would be a contentious topic among the devs. I'm playing to a small audience here. So sue me. Homework is fun!)
  • Options
    snakeswar2snakeswar2 Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    they doing an emergency maitanence for 2 hours. i am suprised they havent closed this thread after thethis mornings maitanence and didnt create a emergency maitinance thread
  • Options
    rickskynightrickskynight Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    echatty wrote: »
    Maybe it will be fixed by the time I get my computer back. I haven't been able to play for two days due to power supply popping.....again.

Are you running multiple video cards? Just get a 750 or 850w and be done with it!
  • Options
    darpinkdarpink Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    qziqza wrote: »
    2nd account.. 16 toons.. 3 years playing.. but thanks for the condescension.
    98% of the posts from the person you quoted in your reply, says something about people being new or accusing the person he is talking to/about of being new. The guy is VERY proud of the fact that he is not new and apparently thinks that anyone he disagrees with is new......weren't we all new at one point? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    saedeith wrote: »
    I guess no eta on how long this will be down?
    We'll post as soon as everything is back up.
  • Options
    rectiirectii Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Can anyone please tell me WHY on God's green Earth would ANY Server Administrator with more than 2 (two) pathetically-shrunken and degraded brain cells to beat together take down a Server, with more than a half a million Players, for Maintenance on a FRIDAY night, during what is inarguably a PEAK USAGE TIME ??!?!!???!!

Let me help a little with this - as a Server Administrator myself -
    "High-availability maintenance windows are often planned for a time where activity is at its lowest so as to cause minimal disruption to customers"

Hhhhhmmmmmm.....what a ******* concept THAT must be...!!!

What could possibly be wrong with doing this in the MIDDLE OF THE ****** NIGHT ??!?!!!? Or, does that come too close to actually making 'sense'...?? Until now, I would have never suspected Cryptic of being a Government Agency.....but this BS sure makes me wonder.....

Sincerely,
    One ticked-off Player who has worked and waited
    ALL week to begin my weekend relaxing by Gaming
    on a FRIGGIN' FRIDAY NIGHT !!!

**** !!!!!!!!
    The Game itself is nothing. The playing of it...? Everything !!
  • Options
    djmetal1981djmetal1981 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Aahh...I can't wait another hour! My Reman captain was progressing so nicely. lol

Edit: Silly posts showing up while I'm replying. lol

The reason they would take it down in this instance would be some sort of major exploit/flaw with the new implementation (which I could have sworn was fixed earlier...but oh well). That would be the ONLY reason to take it down during peak hours.

Before some troll goes "and just how do you know so much about it?" It's because I've been modding a 7 year old game for the past 3 years. When you have that much direct contact with GM's...you tend to learn a few things. Then again, it could just be common sense, but no one asked me so I'll stop now. XD
    CelSTOsig_zps60r2fa18.jpg
  • Options
    cdnhawkcdnhawk Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rectii wrote: »
    Can anyone please tell me WHY on God's green Earth would ANY Server Administrator with more than 2 (two) pathetically-shrunken and degraded brain cells to beat together take down a Server, with more than a half a million Players, for Maintenance on a FRIDAY night, during what is inarguably a PEAK USAGE TIME ??!?!!???!!

"High-availability maintenance windows are often planned for a time where activity is at its lowest so as to cause minimal disruption to customers"

What could possibly be wrong with doing this in the MIDDLE OF THE ****** NIGHT ??!?!!!? Or, does that come too close to actually making 'sense'...?? Until now, I would have never suspected Cryptic of being a Government Agency.....but this BS sure makes me wonder.....

Sincerely,

**** !!!!!!!!

TL;DR
    I guess you missed the part that said this was an emergency patch to fix a REALLY big mess.
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rectii wrote: »

Sincerely,

**** !!!!!!!!

I'd say you can blame either people exploiting the event's mechanics, or Cryptic's desire to stop said exploitation.
This discussion has been closed.