test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Battle of Korfez

Comments

• mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Great... another dead content:rolleyes:
    Or at least allmost dead as in not played. Just take a look at undine assault elite and how much that was played since it was released (Cryptic can do some data mining easy).

This will suck big time, since its only Elite. And communication and not parking ur ship and fire:confused:. Its ridiculous, to move and stuff??? How can u take a preatty picture then? :eek:

But serious, this kind of content, with new elite dificulty, like the new elite STFs will be too, will drive ppl away from the game. Too bad Cryptic decided to listen to a few bored forumers and not data mine or just even look at the queues at how often are played.

And I am not saying it was completly a bad idea to make harder content, as long as there are alternatives. Like how it is now Hive, Undine assault or NWS. Its the hardest PvE content, but there are other ways to get the same rewards. Sure not in the same ammount, as it should be, but alternatives exists non the less. Thats why me and others didnt jump on the threads where some ppl asked for harder content. Becouse everybody assumed if there were added, will be something like Hive or NWS, with a bucket load of rewards, but certainly not exclusive, and with decent alternatives.
  • spencerb96spencerb96 Member Posts: 247 Media Corps
    edited September 2014
    I'm quite surprised by the amount of hate they're getting for this. Up to Delta Rising, we've had nearly no PvE endgame, it has all been laughably easy. The only place where all of your gear and grinding paid off for was PvP. You never needed rep or MK XII gear for PvE, not even NWS.

They're giving us an Endgame that now has challenging PvE content. This isn't going to kill the game, if anything, it'll help the game. People will stay longer and more will play knowing that all of their grinding will actually pay off, because there are now actually challenging Endgame PvE's.

If you think it's stupid that they're locking this behind an Elite wall, and worry you may not be able to do it, work on your build! Improve! If you don't want to improve your build and skill to play this new STF, then stop complaining.
    ffluoti63bi9.png
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    They're getting 'hate' because despite what the elitist complainers on the forum think, very few people actually wanted extremely challenging content. This mission is basically never going to be used, just like how the current 'harder' content like hive isn't ever used. Even if these missions are incredibly fun, they're only going to be fun so many times. By the 50th time you've run it you just want to get it over with quickly and get your rewards, not spend half an hour shooting at a damage sponge only to fail and have to wait an hour to try again.

The changes to the queue system in delta rising have been one huge mistake. They've split the playerbase even more by having three difficulties rather than only two, we still have to go in to the hardest content to get the best rewards (and potentially there may be rewards we can only get in elite), and they've made it far, FAR easier for a troll or just a bad player to cause you to fail and lose most of your rewards, probably including the special rep item and very rare crafting materials that you actually wanted, by making what were previously optional objectives required.

All because a few people on the forum were complaining that the game was too easy.
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The only problem is the time invested. AS people said, the 2 first times you do the stfs you will enjoy it, but the 10th time, the only thing you want is to finish as soon as possible. The only solution will be to create stfs in a episode style, with a story, a few paths to follow and original designs. Making another stf just with different enemies and scenarios and theorically more difficult doesnt change the main problem.
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    LOL the amount of people whining about content that might offer even some minor challenge. Sorry but there's the entire content of STO for you guys to play, or you could possibly challenge yourself to learn, adapt and possibly get a bit better at the game instead.

It would be nice if there were more content that's hard and encourages people to gain skill and also some decent rewards from the challenge. For far too long there hasn't been any end game content that lasts longer than 5 minutes, unless you get stuck with a PUG in Undine Assault, then it can last for hours...

TBH it's not hard to learn how to do the basics of decent damage, it just takes a bit of research and logic. Then once you have that you learn position and defence. Then you stop dying every five seconds and start killing borg as a bonus.

TBH if it's been beaten with T5 ships with Mk12 gear, then it's not hard enough. Minimum entry should be Mk14 Blue gear and T5U/T6 ships with a decent setup. Then it'll be challenging...
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • spencerb96spencerb96 Member Posts: 247 Media Corps
    edited September 2014
    They're getting 'hate' because despite what the elitist complainers on the forum think, very few people actually wanted extremely challenging content. This mission is basically never going to be used, just like how the current 'harder' content like hive isn't ever used. Even if these missions are incredibly fun, they're only going to be fun so many times. By the 50th time you've run it you just want to get it over with quickly and get your rewards, not spend half an hour shooting at a damage sponge only to fail and have to wait an hour to try again.

The changes to the queue system in delta rising have been one huge mistake. They've split the playerbase even more by having three difficulties rather than only two, we still have to go in to the hardest content to get the best rewards (and potentially there may be rewards we can only get in elite), and they've made it far, FAR easier for a troll or just a bad player to cause you to fail and lose most of your rewards, probably including the special rep item and very rare crafting materials that you actually wanted, by making what were previously optional objectives required.

All because a few people on the forum were complaining that the game was too easy.

Over the past few years, we've had the same lvl of endgame content. Over these past few years we've also gotten tons of new powerful gear. This is called PowerCreep, and it makes Endgame laughably easy. NWS has been 2-manned. ISE Soloed, and most other elite content 2 manned. If you don't like these changes, you need to improve your build and your play skill to play the new queues. These changes help the game, whether or not you or the others who don't want to improve like it. Adapt and get used to the changes or don't complain.
    ffluoti63bi9.png
    edited September 2014
    Did hive help the game? That's harder than conduit, and yet it's never used. Know why? Because most people don't want a challenge, they want to have fun. I know how to play this game, I'm probably more than capable of doing this new content, but I don't want to. I want to get the rewards and go back to some part of the game that I, personally, find more fun. Hell if there were another viable way to get very rare crafting mats I'd probably never set foot in an STF again.

Honestly I'm not against there being challenging content, I'm against making it mandatory if you want to get your rep gear or crafting mats, I'm against having an elite only mission, and I'm against making perfectly good content worse by making optional objectives required or you lose the rewards you actually wanted.
  • johnthomas00johnthomas00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Did hive help the game? That's harder than conduit, and yet it's never used. Know why? Because most people don't want a challenge, they want to have fun. I know how to play this game, I'm probably more than capable of doing this new content, but I don't want to. I want to get the rewards and go back to some part of the game that I, personally, find more fun. Honestly if there were another viable way to get very rare crafting mats I'd probably never set foot in an STF again.

Honestly I'm not against there being challenging content, I'm against making it mandatory if you want to get your rep gear or crafting mats, I'm against having an elite only mission, and I'm against making perfectly good content worse by making optional objectives required or you lose the rewards you actually wanted.

Sure there is, crits on DOFF gathering missions (I get them this way sometimes especially ones from the Dyson Sphere) and replaying story missions and gethering mats found in them and getting really really lucky, twice I found vr mats.

I personally like The Hive and thought it was a very nice addition to the game by the way and wish more people spent the little bit of time to learn how to play the mission instead of just deciding it was too hard and running away crying (not saying you did just that many did)
    edited September 2014
    Sure there is, crits on DOFF gathering missions (I get them this way sometimes especially ones from the Dyson Sphere) and replaying story missions and gethering mats found in them and getting really really lucky, twice I found vr mats.

I personally like The Hive and thought it was a very nice addition to the game by the way and wish more people spent the little bit of time to learn how to play the mission instead of just deciding it was too hard and running away crying (not saying you did just that many did)

For your first part, that's not really a viable option. I've only ever got rare mats at most from a doff crit or a mission node, so while I'm sure you're right and it is possible to get VR mats from them, it's certainly not a good way to farm them.

As for your second part, that's my point, most people didn't actually want to do it because it was too hard. It's there, so you can take the time to get together a premade group of people who also want to play it, and you can go there and have fun playing the challenge you enjoy. That's fine. But most people would rather do something else.

Conduit is so popular because while you can fail the optional, it's technically impossible to fail the actual mission. You will get your very rare crafting mats and neural processor, even if it takes a little while. With delta rising that will change, there won't be any guaranteed option, and it's going to make grinding and farming far more tedious and annoying than it already is. That cannot be good for the game.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Time will tell if this is a good idea or not...

I have no objection to Them making a few Elite Missions for the folks who sneer at the rest of us common players, as long as it's not directly tied into the story line of the game and creates a Have/Have-Not situation.

And if it is only a few Ultra-Top-Gear pieces and the required mats to make them, that are "walled" off to a casual player, then I have no problem with that either.

They might just as well make these kind of Missions Premade-Team-Up-Only, instead of PUG's, because if it's as hard as They are planning, then there's going to be a "Wail Wall" of threads coming soon.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited September 2014
    For your first part, that's not really a viable option. I've only ever got rare mats at most from a doff crit or a mission node, so while I'm sure you're right and it is possible to get VR mats from them, it's certainly not a good way to farm them.

As for your second part, that's my point, most people didn't actually want to do it because it was too hard. It's there, so you can take the time to get together a premade group of people who also want to play it, and you can go there and have fun playing the challenge you enjoy. That's fine. But most people would rather do something else.

Conduit is so popular because while you can fail the optional, it's technically impossible to fail the actual mission. You will get your very rare crafting mats and neural processor, even if it takes a little while. With delta rising that will change, there won't be any guaranteed option, and it's going to make grinding and farming far more tedious and annoying than it already is. That cannot be good for the game.

You missed my point on the Hive, once you learn how to run the mission it is actually not much more diffcult then running the other Borg ESTF runs, you just need to know the mechincs of the the mission. Which as people playing longer than 2 years can tell you (before powercreep really started coming in) is how it used to have to be. I remember having to set up in Conduit where the team would have to dmg the gens and then blow them all together, blowing even 1 too soon would mean HELL and almost no way to get the opitional. Now no one cares do they? That's just 1 example "old timers" can give many.

At some point back then if you wanted to play elite (and not be laughed out of the mission), you had to learn the mechincs of the mission and work together. People had to actually type in team chat and someone always took on the role of team lead and cordnatied people. We lost that before The Hive came out to a "DPS" keep yourself alive and blow TRIBBLE up menatility so when it was released and.. oh my God this is impossible run!!!... nope.. you just had to learn how to do it and.. oh my God yes.. work as a team..
    edited September 2014
    As far as I'm concerned it's a good thing you don't have to do all that to succeed anymore. To the majority of players, STFs are just a grind, not something you do for fun. I'd prefer it if you could get all the rewards in normal mode and not have to go in to elite at all, but that's never going to happen (and I assure you, if you could then the elite queues would be as empty as the normal ones are now, while the normal queues would be full). If people want a challenge they can have it, but it shouldn't be the only option. Failing over and over when you're just trying to get your daily grinding done isn't fun, but delta rising is trying to force it on the majority of it's players.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    As far as I'm concerned it's a good thing you don't have to do all that to succeed anymore. To the majority of players, STFs are just a grind, not something you do for fun. I'd prefer it if you could get all the rewards in normal mode and not have to go in to elite at all, but that's never going to happen (and I assure you, if you could then the elite queues would be as empty as the normal ones are now, while the normal queues would be full). If people want a challenge they can have it, but it shouldn't be the only option. Failing over and over when you're just trying to get your daily grinding done isn't fun, but delta rising is trying to force it on the majority of it's players.

At the moment, this is just ONE mission (that can't even be attempted till one hits Level 60) which is giving the Elite core of STO players, a challenge they desire.

Let's not get all carried away and damn the whole thing before the entire player-base gets a shot at it.

It not unreasonable for folks who excel at the game, to expect something more when they play...

As long as it's not done in such a way that the other 90% of the player-base doesn't feel left out.

This particular instance, seems like a good compromise.

As I said before, time will tell.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • thor74sgzthor74sgz Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Sound like a very fun mission but...... Its
    Another krap Pug Que that 1 person can TRIBBLE up for the rest of the team and nobody gets anything. So 2 months after release its dead or you have to wait an hour in que cause no one wants to waist the time to get NOTHING out of it like soooo many other que events. Maybe take a look at revamping existing ques that get no players before waisting time with another fail que that not worth the time.
    This is going to turn out to be a Fleet/ Friends only thing because you need that communication to win.

Sorry for the rant :mad: but I've been biting my tongue for over a year now. More is not always better! Look at the que tab and see how many EMPTY ques are there! Because they are not worth the time and effort! Rethink the approach plz!

For instance...Undine "Viscous Cycle" ELITE Que..... More is NOT better!

pos- Can be completed with 4 of the 5 players so one bad pug won/t bring it down most of the time.
    Has potential for being a really fun mission.

neg- LONG que wait
    Overboard with the "Hold/Disable/Repel" weaps and abilitys and in Fluidic space on top of it.
    Bad pug can make mission last for 30+minutes and Secondary Objective failures.
    HORRIBLE rewards(for Elite)make que not worth the time and effort
    Krappy 30 marks and 280 dilithium (45 marks if secondaries are completed) I think.

So after the newness wore off its a dead/slow que only played by peeps that REALLY need some marks (very few) at that.

The new Super Elite que is going to go down the same road
  • jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited September 2014

you will only have to do the advanced modes of the other queues "bug hunt" or "borg disconnected" for the rep stuff, this is another tier of mission designed to reward the best players for being good at the game.......no one is forcing you to play this queue
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    you will only have to do the advanced modes of the other queues "bug hunt" or "borg disconnected" for the rep stuff, this is another tier of mission designed to reward the best players for being good at the game.......no one is forcing you to play this queue

If your a crafter, you are forced to do elite runs to get a "chance" at purple materials.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
    edited September 2014
    They changed the current elites to require all the optionals to be completed as well, making it far too easy for a bad pugger to fail it for the rest of the team, but they didn't add the rewards people want to normal. Honestly I'd moved away a bit from this particular mission and on to complaining about the queue revamp as a whole. I'm not thrilled with the idea of an elite only mission either though, I see no reason why there couldn't be normal and advanced modes as well, but whatever.
  • saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    All joking aside, this looks like it will suffer from what all other queued events suffer from. The rewards from doing them suck.
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This sounds very, very cool. It'll be good to see some really interesting, varies mission objectives. Its the kind of system which would be good for future renditions of the exploration system. hint hint. :P
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Sounds like a fun mission task. Thanks for the update!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    sisteric wrote: »
    If your a crafter, you are forced to do elite runs to get a "chance" at purple materials.

It is not the only source for them. You can also get them from the crafting recruiting project at the academy,and from crits especially the artifact explore missions and having the right astromectrics doff slotted gives you an extra chance for blue and purple mats. Also right now and during all future r&d events the bonus box has a chance for any random purple mat. So you could do a nice sad infected and get the new materials. I saved up a bit over 200 boxes for this event, some to open some to sell.
    edited September 2014
    They changed the current elites to require all the optionals to be completed as well, making it far too easy for a bad pugger to fail it for the rest of the team, but they didn't add the rewards people want to normal. Honestly I'd moved away a bit from this particular mission and on to complaining about the queue revamp as a whole. I'm not thrilled with the idea of an elite only mission either though, I see no reason why there couldn't be normal and advanced modes as well, but whatever.

That is a misunderstanding. Only the new queues have this, old ones are not changing. Second you do NOT have to complete the optional at any level ever, that's what optional means.

What happens is that normal has an optional kill Bob in less than 4 minutes.

At advanced killing bob is now mandatory but there is a new optional, kill Tim in less than 1 minute. While you have to kill Bob to win, you don't have to kill Tim that is optional.

At elite killing both Bob and Tim are mandatory, but now there is stop ten frank clones from disco dancing that is optional. As long as you kill both Bob and Tim you can still win, stopping the dancing clones is not necessary.
    edited September 2014

Then you miss the point of calling it "elite" diffculity. Normal was not like that and you could just go in guns blazing and get it done and yes you did not get the reward for that running it on elite got you BUT that was what you had to do. IF you wanted to get it done on the ELITE setting you had to set up your game for the rewards. You sound like one of those "I want the good stuff but I don't want to sept up to get it." people... you can't have it both ways getting the good stuff but not having to work for it. Hell I almost never do ques right now unless there is some additional incentive for me to run them.... why? Power creep and nerfs here and there have made elite nothing but DPS wipes and speed runs and there is nothing elite about them.

I am not an elitist by far saying people have to do certain things and what not, but if you want to do elite, if you want the high end rewards you should have to work for them, not get them on "autopilot" like you can now. I look forward to the new elite setting personally as it will give me a reason to actually que again.
    edited September 2014
    You sound like one of those "I want the good stuff but I don't want to sept up to get it." people

This is a game, not a job. Higher difficulties for people who want it is fine. Having more rewards for doing it is even alright, although to be honest if you really did just want harder content for the fun of it then the difference in rewards between difficulties wouldn't matter to you. Having rewards locked in to higher difficulties entirely, rather than having them reward more of the same thing, is different. Really not seeing what's so bad about wanting to cut down on my grinding time so I can get back to playing the parts of the game I actually enjoy.

Eh, it doesn't matter. I'm not going to continue arguing with people on the forums because frankly I have better things to do. Not like it'll change anything.
  • klingotklingot Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This is my gripe does anyone know when this supposed to start? Everyone's gripping about it but there is no start date and it is not in the queue at all yet! Elite or otherwise.
  • klingotklingot Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    By the way at this point are we not all geared up by now? I know I have been for quite some time and have had a lot of practice on the the tribble server as always.:D
  • vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm rather disappointed that it is going to be in the form of yet ANOTHER queue! Why cant it be far more dynamic and progressive in the way of presistant, why does it have to be in another darn Queue?
  • thor74sgzthor74sgz Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    klingot wrote: »
    This is my gripe does anyone know when this supposed to start? Everyone's gripping about it but there is no start date and it is not in the queue at all yet! Elite or otherwise.

Really?

klingot wrote: »
    By the way at this point are we not all geared up by now? I know I have been for quite some time and have had a lot of practice on the the tribble server as always.:D

Seriously??
    edited September 2014
    vfpfyasko1 wrote: »
    I'm rather disappointed that it is going to be in the form of yet ANOTHER queue! Why cant it be far more dynamic and progressive in the way of presistant, why does it have to be in another darn Queue?

Agreed 100%

At this point I think we have too many queues and the population is spread too thin. Possibly letting us queue for all of them at once instead of just 3 might help
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, elite only seems like a design mistake. My typical strategy for attempting any queued content for the first time is to run normal first so I actually know what I'm getting into with minimal chance for an outright failure.

You learn normal, then you're ready to graduate to elite. Reasonable enough.

With the elite-only approach, it's like taking someone who doesn't know how to swim, throwing them into ice-cold shark-infested waters while saying, "okay, now figure out how to swim to shore in one piece. Good luck!"
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif