test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anyone else worried these new mission will all be single player?

Comments

• Options
    thegcbaconthegcbacon Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    you have your opinion. I personally LIKE the trinity and wish it were implemented in STO.

and if you don't want to play a trinity, go play EVE.

I liked Trinity years ago, but she got too needy & bloated as she aged :)
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hope they're more single-player. Better storytelling that way, less reliance on 'now everyone blitz in and kill everything!'

I agree.

I don't mind the co-op in some of the older missions. But I prefer single player in story missions, preferably with a full way team. Not just one or two bridge officers.
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I, for one, am absolutely positive that most of, if not all of the upcoming missions will be SINGLE PLAYER. That's how I like it. One Ship, one Captain, just like the real, canon, Star Trek. I absolutely disdain being forced to play with other human beings in Star Trek Online.

I actually choose to play alone. And don't tell me "this is an mmo, if you don't like playing w/others you should play console games" or just insert you own self-aggrandizing comment in the place of the one you just read. Star Trek Online...hang on let me start a new paragraph.

Star Trek Online is an online game. It has a massively multiplayer appearance, but in a way that most people, including most players of STO, that masks its true nature. Star Trek Online is about ONE Captain: YOUR Captain. STO is about MY Captain, too. It's about ALL of OUR Captains, individually, but all at once, at the same time.

What we are, as being at different stages of one grand over-arching story, are the heroes of our own story being told out along side and at the same time as all the other captains in the game. In the game, only my character exists. In the game, only your character exists. It's only at social zones does this Single Player MMO seem to dissolve in the gatherings of players and their characters.

When I'm off in space or on some newly discovered ground mission, I'm the only Real Life person who's playing STO. And I don't exist in your STO game when you're in Mission Time.

I really hope this makes sense to you OP. I've tried to break it down in to the most basic way I can explain it. Not to be condescending towards you at all though. This is just me trying to get my point across in the best way I know how.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Hope they're more single-player. Better storytelling that way, less reliance on 'now everyone blitz in and kill everything!'

+1 Regina :)

I agree, 100%
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I don't like it when we don't get to use our away teams. I don't like it when we don't get to use our own ships. I'd like to see more maps that faucilitate more than one player/full away teams.

I'd really appreciate some more endgame ground content that lets me utilize my away team like the Voth Battlezone did. This sort of things keeps me grinding longer and incentivizes getting good gear not only for the PC, but also for their boffs, which IMO is something Cryptic could take advantage of, so I don't understand why there is much less in the way of rewarding ground combat in relation to space combat.
  • Options
    carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    thetanine wrote: »
    I, for one, am absolutely positive that most of, if not all of the upcoming missions will be SINGLE PLAYER. That's how I like it. One Ship, one Captain, just like the real, canon, Star Trek. I absolutely disdain being forced to play with other human beings in Star Trek Online.

I actually choose to play alone. And don't tell me "this is an mmo, if you don't like playing w/others you should play console games" or just insert you own self-aggrandizing comment in the place of the one you just read. Star Trek Online...hang on let me start a new paragraph.

Star Trek Online is an online game. It has a massively multiplayer appearance, but in a way that most people, including most players of STO, that masks its true nature. Star Trek Online is about ONE Captain: YOUR Captain. STO is about MY Captain, too. It's about ALL of OUR Captains, individually, but all at once, at the same time.

What we are, as being at different stages of one grand over-arching story, are the heroes of our own story being told out along side and at the same time as all the other captains in the game. In the game, only my character exists. In the game, only your character exists. It's only at social zones does this Single Player MMO seem to dissolve in the gatherings of players and their characters.

When I'm off in space or on some newly discovered ground mission, I'm the only Real Life person who's playing STO. And I don't exist in your STO game when you're in Mission Time.

I really hope this makes sense to you OP. I've tried to break it down in to the most basic way I can explain it. Not to be condescending towards you at all though. This is just me trying to get my point across in the best way I know how.

Everything you've written is fine and if you wish to play that way then you have always had the choice. Just play it alone. Although I don't think BOFF's should be an issue joining you. Part of the Trek experience is after all having a crew. Essentially, it should always boil down to you, your ship and your crew.

However, this locking any other players out of missions and forcing us to only do single player is just ridiculous in an MMO. I can see no reason for it.

I don't want my only multiplayer options to be STF grinds. Let the game offer richness and diversity in its options.
  • Options
    darthlokidarthloki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    i did sphere of influence and temporal ambassador with a team.

I did both of these all by myself with no problems, nothing wrong with doing missions with party members I know but I like to do story missions by myself makes it much more interesting
  • Options
    darthlokidarthloki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014

so agree with you here, I prefer solo play in stories alone with a full away team and not just 1 or 2 away team members. I also know that co-op is all good cause u can get help if need be but again I don't really like doing co-op all alone solo, course there will be times will need help and that is all an good but then for me back to single-player for me
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No more single-player-only featured episodes please.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm actually really sick and tired of running around with a bunch of stupid NPCs making my life harder. Single player is where I live, and this is perfect for me. I think people rely too much on the computer to help them rather than their own ability.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I expect all the missions to get set in the Delta Quadrant (involving some Star Trek actor) will be single player while the rest will be regular missions that players can team up.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    Why two versions, when you can team or run by yourself in the same battlezone?

You can't run the battlezone alone. Not when the larger NPCs show up. Plus each time I went in there. I was in a group. So you was put in there with a group. I wanted more single mission style like on New Romulas. Where it just you and your away team.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No more single-player-only featured episodes please.

Actually I'm counting on all these being single player except the ques.

Casual players often don't have the time to create online groups to play with.

We have the ques for groups.

Groups can already play all the content.

Get back to me when we can SOLO the STFs.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Actually I'm counting on all these being single player except the ques.

Casual players often don't have the time to create online groups to play with.

We have the ques for groups.

Groups can already play all the content.

Get back to me when we can SOLO the STFs.

This is what I'm saying. You have ques for random or your own group. I don't have time to be in a group. As I have to get off the game at any given moment. So my progress in that mission is lost and I just can't restart where I left off. Plus it make the group mad cause they are down a player and need to quit or find a replacement.

I would love to see a "watered" down version of STF just for us solo guys. So I can at least see the story version. As for the loot well it would be "watered" down as well. I didn't do a lot of the dungeons on WoW due to groups. Either not having time, some leaving, or attitude of the others. So I had to go and do them at really high levels so I could see what the dungeon was about.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Considering that zone chat is filled with nothing but trolls that Cryptic will do nothing about, I can't even say hello to anyone not in my fleet without being ignored and no one wants to help anyone without knowing what they get out of it, be happy with your single player Star Trek game.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    farmallm wrote: »
    You can't run the battlezone alone. Not when the larger NPCs show up. Plus each time I went in there. I was in a group. So you was put in there with a group. I wanted more single mission style like on New Romulas. Where it just you and your away team.

Larger NPC's? About the only NPC I could not conceivably take on alone is a Rex.... but I can damn sure keep the Medics dead till other showed up if I were alone. Other than that, it is pretty easy to solo any capture point in any zone, as well as any of the mini-bosses. I rarely team with anyone there.

Best thing is to make sure you and your boffs are properly equipped... if you're a tac or a sci, take either a sci and an eng, or two eng's.... if you're a sci take two eng's...... (don't bother with tac BOFFS there). Mortars, turrets, drones, and sci debuffs are your friends. IF you're a tac make sure you're kitted with grenades.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    I expect all the missions to get set in the Delta Quadrant (involving some Star Trek actor) will be single player while the rest will be regular missions that players can team up.

I guess I could live with that. I fully expect the next mission which concludes the Dyson arc will be one player which makes sense in fairness, it completes that arc and its better to make that whole series one player only for continuity.

Ideally after that, I'd really prefer missions go back to co-op though.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    I'm actually really sick and tired of running around with a bunch of stupid NPCs making my life harder. Single player is where I live, and this is perfect for me. I think people rely too much on the computer to help them rather than their own ability.

The NPC's are useless so how can anyone be relying on them over their own ability? The only really practical use they give is offering up more attack turns with things like turrets. But as many have said, we've spent this whole game arming them up, customising them and investing training resources into them and now they'd ripped them out the game.

They are a part of the game and and shouldn't be swept aside.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Good... Single player missions are fun, as long as they have a good story....
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    yep 1st new mission is also SP, can't understand why they make SP missions n a mmo, i want to play with my fleet-mates/friends.
  • Options
    deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    This is what worries me. Its becoming a trend.

Two months ago, the idea of getting dozens of new missions had me thrilled. Now, the idea they may all be single player only has actually got me very disappointed and realistically there is no reason or excuse for it in an MMO.

What is the point of teams or BOFFs in this game? All you can realistically do now is STF's with other players. Its ridiculous.

yes there is a reason, several

appeal to more players, soloers
    allow players who play at off peak times something to do that doesn't require a group
    easier to make missions so faster developement
    and it fits with star trek, always the single hero captain, his ship and his crew to face off against it all.

just because something is an mmo, doesn't mean it has to have groups all the time, you want something with constant social interaction hit up FB. a game is meant to be enjoyed however you choose to play it. a company that gets that will try to appeal to as many gamer types as possible.

finally, sto already has it's experiment running in forced social interaction...they're called fleets, since they're too expensive for any one person, or even a small group of friends to get going in any reasonable amount of time.
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    Everything you've written is fine and if you wish to play that way then you have always had the choice. Just play it alone. Although I don't think BOFF's should be an issue joining you. Part of the Trek experience is after all having a crew. Essentially, it should always boil down to you, your ship and your crew.

However, this locking any other players out of missions and forcing us to only do single player is just ridiculous in an MMO. I can see no reason for it.

I don't want my only multiplayer options to be STF grinds. Let the game offer richness and diversity in its options.

Carlos,

I agree with you too. I think multiplayer has its place in STO; the STF's for example fit that model. Also, I do love my bridge officers. I only use females on my away teams. And I also always play female toons. I make my captains as juicy and savory looking as possible.

Best regards,

T9
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Carlos and Dead Space,

I don't know about how others view this, but to me, my captain with her away team, is still playing solo. I have control over my Toon and the Boffs too. Everyone/Everything else is a Non-Player Character (NPC).

Best regards,

T9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carlosbfly View Post

This is what worries me. Its becoming a trend.

Two months ago, the idea of getting dozens of new missions had me thrilled. Now, the idea they may all be single player only has actually got me very disappointed and realistically there is no reason or excuse for it in an MMO.

What is the point of teams or BOFFs in this game? All you can realistically do now is STF's with other players. Its ridiculous.

yes there is a reason, several

appeal to more players, soloers
    allow players who play at off peak times something to do that doesn't require a group
    easier to make missions so faster developement
    and it fits with star trek, always the single hero captain, his ship and his crew to face off against it all.

just because something is an mmo, doesn't mean it has to have groups all the time, you want something with constant social interaction hit up FB. a game is meant to be enjoyed however you choose to play it. a company that gets that will try to appeal to as many gamer types as possible.

finally, sto already has it's experiment running in forced social interaction...they're called fleets, since they're too expensive for any one person, or even a small group of friends to get going in any reasonable amount of time.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm fairly happy with the idea of solo missions, obviously it'll be a bit frustrating as I spent some time recently tuning my away teams to work together but it's still sufficiently recent that I'm capable of working on my own.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I understand people wanting singleplayer, I wouldn't want to be thrown in with random players for story missions. However, I also want to be able to play through the story with mates. This is especially bad now random missions in a chain are singleplayer, meaning you have to split up part way through.

I just wish there was more choice. You wouldn't need Boffs about, just because there's more than 1 player.
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    thetanine wrote: »
    Carlos and Dead Space,

I don't know about how others view this, but to me, my captain with her away team, is still playing solo. I have control over my Toon and the Boffs too. Everyone/Everything else is a Non-Player Character (NPC).

Best regards,

T9

I think that some people are using the term 'single player' to mean just your captain doing the episode with worf or tuvok or whoever and no boffs, but other people are interpreting 'single player' as in one player doing the episode vs several players several other players doing the episode.

Stricly speaking about me being the only player. I prefer episodes where i have my boff team there with me. You can trim it down to just me and 2 of my boffs, but that's what i would rather have then just me by myself or me and only 1 other boff (ie new romulus ground open area). It's fine if they want to do an occasional lone wolf mission where it's just me and maybe some NPCs, but dont overdo it. Solanae Dyson Sphere episoes is a good example of them overdoing it with a string of lone wolf missions. The very last mission where you beam down to ESD? the only reason i saw for not having my away team on that mission is overcrowding. But why couldnt i have taken 2 of my boffs and Tuvok could have had 2 of his boffs? Even if his 2 or 4 man boff team beams down and they just guard the starting point that would have been nice a touch. Hell at this point if they are going to keep doing that with the storyline then the fleet admiral uniform should just be blue spandex, red briefs and cape and a big S on the chest (S for Starfleet of course).

Now as far as the multiplayer aspect...i think that the episode missions should be made for both single players and people who like to play with their friends.
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    People normally team up when the mission is to hard for 1 player to finish it. IMO all the missions in STO can be completed single player, even some of the STFs (sadly). I really wish cryptic wouldn't make it a Optional MMO. I like takeing down a boss with 4 of my other fleet mates.

Could you imagine if all the television show only had 1 lead character. They wouldn't make it past season 1. Star trek IMO has always been about the storys of multiple characters. In the series its about the ships crew. In STO it should be about You and YOUR fleet mates. STO was not meant for single player. Still it seems thats where its headed.
  • Options
    xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Here's an idea,

Allow multiplayer missions to happen through difficulty level. Easy, you can solo. Hard, you need a team. Sort of the way Nukara prime is set up.

Cheers!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I'm pretty sure that if a mission can have BOFF's, it can be teamed on. It just seems to be the way the game is programmed. Which makes sense. You lose a BOFF on an away team for other human team mates so they are being replaced.

So a mission you can bring BOFF's on will automatically mean you can also have a human player join you. So I guess I am asking for both options since they seem to mean the same thing in regards to STO's setup.