test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone else worried these new mission will all be single player?

Comments

• carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've never heard anyone complain about being forced into ships that aren't ours in the FE's. Everyone I know is always excited about those FE missions because they get a new ship as part of the mission reward.

There was a thread about it only three months ago. People were discussing the lack of BOFF's and being shoved into different ships on the newer missions, invalidating all the tactics and setups you had worked on your own ships with gear, powers, etc. The Dyson Sphere ship being the example.

Which by the way, was NOT a reward ship for the mission as you were then railroaded down that insanely long grind project to get it. I do understand the idea behind putting you in the Dyson though. It was an obvious sales strategy to get you behind the wheel for a bit and tempt you to invest into getting it.

Or not as was the case for me.
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, I will admit that I'm starting to find the BOFFless missions rather annoying. While occasionally Kirk or Picard were off on their own without their crew for support, it wasn't this frequent.

Good point. Trek has always been about an ensemble - the captain, the crew and the ship. And so has STO up until late. It has been a mechanic of the game for 90% of the missions. I can't help feel this is an aspect of the game Cryptic are dumbing down or removing entirely.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    Good point. Trek has always been about an ensemble - the captain, the crew and the ship. And so has STO up until late. It has been a mechanic of the game for 90% of the missions. I can't help feel this is an aspect of the game Cryptic are dumbing down or removing entirely.
    Just because a few Missions do not allow you to bring Boffs does not mean it is a big percentage of your overall play. In fact if I were to count all the missions I am quite certain I would find that over 90% of them do allow you to bring Boffs.

You should be celebrating the differences of play in that small percentage that do not allow you to bring Boffs rather then condemning it. There is very little in STO that is not cookie-cutter X being the same as W, and when you encounter those things you should embrace them because far too quickly it will go back to cookie-cutter.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited September 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Personally, I find the couple of missions where I'm commanding a ship other than my own annoying. Granted, I can understand the desire to provide a "test drive" for a reward ship. I'd just prefer using my own ship and crew.

Me too although I understand it was to help promote a ship in many cases. But losing all my crew and being saddled in a ship I had no clue on using well was annoying more than anything. As I've never flown a cruiser/sci ship, I was painfully slow and bad at killing anything when I got stuck in the Ambassador and Dyson.

I didn't find it very find or strategic, just whacking all the new, unknown ship skills like a demented maniac on a sugar high.
    edited September 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Just because a few Missions do not allow you to bring Boffs does not mean it is a big percentage of your overall play. In fact if I were to count all the missions I am quite certain I would find that over 90% of them do allow you to bring Boffs.

You should be celebrating the differences of play in that small percentage that do not allow you to bring Boffs rather then condemning it. There is very little in STO that is not cookie-cutter X being the same as W, and when you encounter those things you should embrace them because far too quickly it will go back to cookie-cutter.

Hold yourself up.

I've already said I don't mind the Dyson arc being a single player. I have even said I support the final part being single player so it makes sense and flows logically across all its episodes. I am asking is this the future of all Delta Rising missions. So your post is meaningless.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've never heard anyone complain about being forced into ships that aren't ours in the FE's. Everyone I know is always excited about those FE missions because they get a new ship as part of the mission reward.

So you can honestly say that you weren't forced into the Obelisk or the Dysons Destroyers? Or the BoP in that early fed Klingon mission? ;)

Me personally... I would have preferred my defiant.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    edited September 2014
    Hold yourself up.

I've already said I don't mind the Dyson arc being a single player. I have even said I support the final part being single player so it makes sense and flows logically across all its episodes. I am asking is this the future of all Delta Rising missions. So your post is meaningless.
    No, your posts are meaningless. Why? Because the new missions are already written - they wrote them and had them approved by CBS around a year ago. What you are hoping for has no real bearing on what we will see in Delta Rising, nor can your posts change it in any way now. DR is carved in stone at this point.

Now your opinion can certainly change what we see next year, but it has no bearing on this Expansion Pack. It is too late. What we get is what we get - whether it is all multiple-player, solo with Boffs, or solo.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited September 2014
    No, your posts are meaningless. Why? Because the new missions are already written - they wrote them and had them approved by CBS around a year ago. What you are hoping for has no real bearing on what we will see in Delta Rising, nor can your posts change it in any way now. DR is carved in stone at this point. We get what we get.

Now your opinion can certainly change what we see next year, but it has no bearing on this Expansion Pack. It is too late. What we get is what we get - whether it is all multiple-player, solo with Boffs, or solo.

Unlike your first post, this actually makes sense. And are right, the missions aren't going to change at this stage.
    edited September 2014
    Unlike your first post, this actually makes sense. And are right, the missions aren't going to change at this stage.
    And yes, my first post does make sense. This game is all cookie-cutter. It does not matter if you are fighting Klingons, Romulans, Borg, whatever: mission Z is exactly like mission A you did 50 levels earlier, only the foes have been changed.

There are very few missions in this game that offer a unique mechanic or play-style. Those few unique gems need to be embraced in the hope that Cryptic will add more unique content in the future. If we do not embrace the unique then fighting inside of a Kazon ship in DR is really not going to be any different then fighting inside a Klingon ship, or Borg Cube, or whatever that we did earlier. I eagerly embrace any time I get to do something in this game that I have not already done a dozen times already at lower levels.
    edited September 2014
    And yes, my first post does make sense. This game is all cookie-cutter. It does not matter if you are fighting Klingons, Romulans, Borg, whatever: mission Z is exactly like mission A you did 50 levels earlier, only the foes have been changed.

There are very few missions in this game that offer a unique mechanic or play-style. Those few unique gems need to be embraced in the hope that Cryptic will add more unique content in the future. If we do not embrace the unique then fighting inside of a Kazon ship in DR is really not going to be any different then fighting inside a Klingon ship, or Borg Cube, or whatever that we did earlier. I eagerly embrace any time I get to do something in this game that I have not already done a dozen times already at lower levels.

The unique aspect is all fine. Again, you are ignoring key things I've already said. I said most of the FE's recently have been exceptional and you are right, some more interesting things here or there can only be a good thing. That would be cool.

Does that need to be at the expense of the BOFF system and co-op aspect though?

Anyway, this is getting dragged off topic. I'm not taking a pop at the quality or stuff being done in the recent story missions.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Problem is, all of the recent FE missions have been going BOFFless. So the "uniqueness" is becoming "cookie cutter" itself. This is not a precedent I would like to see continue, so I'm hoping my captains will still be able to take their crews with them in most of the Delta Rising content.
    edited September 2014
    Problem is, all of the recent FE missions have been going BOFFless. So the "uniqueness" is becoming "cookie cutter" itself. This is not a precedent I would like to see continue, so I'm hoping my captains will still be able to take their crews with them in most of the Delta Rising content.

I see what he is trying to say though. It is good the newer story missions have the odd new thing and game mechanic in them. Its refreshing. It shouldn't be at the cost though of other core mechanics such as the BOFF system and the ability to co-op.

There is no reason really both these things have been removed from story missions lately.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think forced teaming and forced solo play are both generally bad ideas, but occasionally work fine. In general, I prefer the option to play however I want. I don't care about difficulty/ease (as long as it's not impossible), sometimes I just want to hang with my friends and other times I want to be solo (especially when I'm testing stuff). I don't like when my ability to choose to team or play solo for specific content is taken away. Luckily this is rare.

Removing boffs makes sense for some missions, but I would prefer it if fewer missions had this mechanic. I'd be very happy if we didn't see another one until 2016. It makes sense for the romulan brainwashing mission, and for coliseum; it makes zero sense for the mission where you chase undine off of ESD.

If they were going to reuse rare mechanics, I'd much rather see more integrated doff missions like in the 2800 and nimbus so you can feel like the captain of a whole crew. Or that mind control gas from empok nor, that was fun. But most of all I'd like to see more missions where we disable instead of slaughter enemy ships, like everything old is new and skirmish, and the rommie one where you board those cardassian freighters. Those are fun mechanics. Stealing my boffs is not fun.
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I personally prefer more flexibility - so missions where you can play with others (which I do), and use boffs are preferred.

The ODD single player mission is OK, but with the last three that way, it's getting a little stale.

If you can't CHOOSE to play with others, what is the point of an MMO?
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Isn't that what queued events are for? Not sure why you can't team up with others to do the FE's as well.

The queued events are fine - but I'm replaying the story on an alt with someone else right now, as a team, with a new character I rolled for that purpose. The FEs (as far back as Temporal Ambassador) put a bit of a monkey wrench into that one. "OK, now for this one, you're on your own, because...well, because."

For the story missions, I much prefer the ones where you can choose whether or not to participate as a team.

Personally, I don't see why queues/episodes have to be an either/or thing. I don't fully understand why the STFs had to be removed from sector space and broken up (well before I was playing). It's all bits and bytes somewhere - they could have split them and put ISE and IGE in the queues, but left the "combined" mission for those who wanted, and had a willing team of 5 to do them. I guess you could argue then there's two sets of the same mission to update, bugfix, and keep rewards in check, but on the other hand, it could be advertised as "more content".

Personally, I'm hoping at least a good chunk of the new missions in DR are (optional) multiplayer, and allow boffs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think the thing I'm majorly looking forward to are loads of new missions with the next expansion but I'm starting to get a horrible feeling they'll all be single player like the recent few FE's. Now while those were great, the last one in particular was stunning, I really don't want to get 40 or whatever new missions and cannot team or take my BOFF's.

This seems to be a really bad trend in STO of locking us into single player missions and I really hate it. Having an MMO that forces you into playing alone is totally insane to me.

I love teaming up with friends on missions and/or bringing my BOFF and its become an aspect of the game Cryptic really seem to be forcing into redundancy. With so much story content in Delta Rising, I really hope we get to explore that socially and team.

That's not my worry. My worry is that it'll be a nonstop STF fest to level...much like rep gear is now. STFs are an evil to be gotten through and over with as fast as possible. The last thing I want to see is *more* required a to advance group content.
    edited September 2014
    I am, however, 100% *with* the OP on boffs. I've invested time, dil, and EC in my boffs. I want them along.
    edited September 2014
    That's not my worry. My worry is that it'll be a nonstop STF fest to level...much like rep gear is now. STFs are an evil to be gotten through and over with as fast as possible. The last thing I want to see is *more* required a to advance group content.

I don't wanna freak you out but there's gonna be a new rep. And new STF's for it. Sorry :(
    edited September 2014
    I think forced teaming and forced solo play are both generally bad ideas, but occasionally work fine. In general, I prefer the option to play however I want.

This in a nutshell.

I simply don't get players who don't even want the choice to team up at all. I respect it if that's how you want to play alone and you can do it. But it shouldn't be forced onto other players who do want to do co-op and up until this year have always had that option for story content.

Same with the BOFF's. Its aways been there and we've invested into that mechanic heavily. The last thing this game needs is more content and diversity being ripped from it.
    edited September 2014

If you can't CHOOSE to play with others, what is the point of an MMO?

A few of us have asked that very question. A lot of my mates play MMO's and they can all hook up on story quests and the grind/raid style missions. Its a standard and expected, you're playing an MMO.

STO is the only one I know that seems to be phasing it out. Baffling.
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well there must be a reason why this is happening. Solo player vs team players. STO might have limited server to support vast number of team player queues. Those type of queues are limited to the Event that have vast number of players in team of 5 playing. So these missions are for you and your BOF along with some DOF who assist you when you need some help on ground missions or a photonic fleet to beam in space.

Wouldn't it be nice to send out S.o.S to get a fellow player who's online that can assist you in battle you need help with. I believe this feature is in the PVE missions but not in the Solo Player missions or in Dyson Sphere Space or Ground Daily Missions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
    edited September 2014
    I don't wanna freak you out but there's gonna be a new rep. And new STF's for it. Sorry :(

I've heard, hopefully there will be a ground bit that can be solo'd, and no need for ESTF bits which kills omega, undine, dyson.

That just might be the stupidest thing ever done by a Dev. Adding another like them would only unseat the existing crown for another just like it.

I've never understood we by you can't just *buy* the cortical whats its and voth cybernetic doodads with marks, like 250/per..

Its as if their intent was to find something idiotic, then make everyone do it.

At least we *expect* crazy things to do from "Q"... We shouldn't expect it from the devs
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I wish it was all single player.

I have been playing mmo's for 25 years and can honestly say that the internet is full of trolls and sociopaths. Not everyone. You meet nice people. But if you pug something they will appear.

I would rather play alone than risk getting into a pug with someone in a Miranda with 20 injuries trying to Kirk it up.
    God I hate group stuff.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • darthlokidarthloki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    chalpen wrote: »
    I wish it was all single player.

I have been playing mmo's for 25 years and can honestly say that the internet is full of trolls and sociopaths. Not everyone. You meet nice people. But if you pug something they will appear.

I would rather play alone than risk getting into a pug with someone in a Miranda with 20 injuries trying to Kirk it up.
    God I hate group stuff.

same here I'm quite happy or glad that story content is single player but then at same time would be nice to if u needed help that someone can come along to help
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    darthloki wrote: »
    same here I'm quite happy or glad that story content is single player but then at same time would be nice to if u needed help that someone can come along to help

Sure but forced pugging like in the queues is terrible.
    I don't mind doing it in the battle zones
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • darthlokidarthloki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    chalpen wrote: »
    Sure but forced pugging like in the queues is terrible.
    I don't mind doing it in the battle zones

yes I do agree with u on that or better yet have it how star wars the old republic has it where its single player but if player needs help he/she can tell the game that said player or players can help
    edited September 2014
    coolheadal wrote: »
    Well there must be a reason why this is happening. Solo player vs team players. STO might have limited server to support vast number of team player queues. Those type of queues are limited to the Event that have vast number of players in team of 5 playing. So these missions are for you and your BOF along with some DOF who assist you when you need some help on ground missions or a photonic fleet to beam in space.

Interesting theory. But if that was the case, you'd think they'd be stripping BOFF's and the co-op option out of all the story missions in the game? Its not like Cryptic isn't known for removing content.
  • xblazex#7666 xblazex Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Personally i would be very happy if ALL missions are soloable or in their current group format . Grouping should NEVER be forced in any game
    edited September 2014
    Personally i would be very happy if ALL missions are soloable or in their current group format . Grouping should NEVER be forced in any game

Do you mean - by grouping - you dropping all your BOFF's and going totally alone on a mission?
  • xblazex#7666 xblazex Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Do you mean - by grouping - you dropping all your BOFF's and going totally alone on a mission?

no i mean having to be forced to group with other players . I like missions with just my crew its one of the things sto has done right .

I like how they did the ground battleground in the spire as well.